Mike's Oud Forums

Recordings

Sol - 12-13-2006 at 04:08 AM

I want some critical feedback on my Oud playing, guys. I'm not going to say anything else besides that the first one, part of it is a famous Flamenco song and the rest is my own composition, and the second one is all my own composition. Well, not really, I think its more like a series of randomly connected sequences, but whatever.

Enjoy.

Sol - 12-13-2006 at 04:12 AM

Here's the second one...

Sol - 12-13-2006 at 04:13 AM

Edit: OK, I managed to get it into a slightly smaller size.

Sol - 12-14-2006 at 02:09 PM

Hmm, I guess my playing was that bad?

I mean, no-one posted anything, so I'm going to assume the worst here. :rolleyes:

zalzal - 12-14-2006 at 02:31 PM

First is not flamenco but kind of make-believe-to-tourist that it is flamenco. Listen Paco de Lucia, this is Flamenco.

I m not musician and can not say much on yr playing.

It seems that you are using rather occidental melodies for learning oud.

You wil miss the incredible richness of 1/4 ton.

In Mike ouds you have a complete section on the classic oud maestros, real tradition. Listen to this as much as you can. Listen old oud players.

Sol - 12-14-2006 at 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by zalzal
First is not flamenco but kind of make-believe-to-tourist that it is flamenco. Listen Paco de Lucia, this is Flamenco.

I m not musician and can not say much on yr playing.

It seems that you are using rather occidental melodies for learning oud.

You wil miss the incredible richness of 1/4 ton.

In Mike ouds you have a complete section on the classic oud maestros, real tradition. Listen to this as much as you can. Listen old oud players.

Hehe, sorry, I know it's not genuine Flamenco. It's fairly famous, though, so yeah.

Paco De Lucia is good, but I listen to Tomastito,Gypsy Kings(if you're a Flamenco purist, you're probably going to kill me for that) and Strunz & Farah, plus some oldies like Carlos Montoya. So I'm not all that ignorant on the subject.

You caught that far eastern part? I discovered that by accident, but there's a significance I used it in the song.I'll tell you if you like.

Yes, I know I'm missing the quarter tone... I play with Hijaz maqam the most for some reason naturally , so I need to force myself to use those. I tend to use more than one Maqam in the same song sometimes, so mabye I should try fitting in a Rast or something...

Thanks though.