Mike's Oud Forums

An oud for $620,000 Ud !!!!!

zalzal - 12-21-2006 at 03:02 PM

http://www.fahad.com/2006/12/inside-ems-2006-620000-ud-arabic-music...

I would like to hear a track.....

mavrothis - 12-21-2006 at 03:22 PM

Oh my! lol What can I say, I'm still 10,000x more interested in a completely undecorated Manol than these beautiful display pieces...

:)

mavros

Jameel - 12-21-2006 at 04:04 PM

I'm interested. Does it come with a hard case?

SamirCanada - 12-21-2006 at 04:41 PM

yeah I wonder if there playable?

Was the face diped in oil? LOL

oudplayer - 12-21-2006 at 05:40 PM

hey all

there nice ,they probaly have automatic strumer for the strings
thx sammy

excentrik - 12-21-2006 at 06:30 PM

hey! quit making fun of my oud!

expensive oud

aldokhi - 12-21-2006 at 09:27 PM

If I had that kind of money, I'd rather use it to organize a private concert, invite both Shamma and Abadi to perform and of course all the people on this forum.

this is utter maddness

Aldokhi

hakeem.ram - 12-21-2006 at 10:22 PM

You might want to check the maker's webpage

http://www.ritter-royals.com

this makes specializes in guitar making, most of which are bass guitars. I wonder what kin dof oud does he make? hmmm

food for thought :mad:

amine2 - 12-22-2006 at 03:47 AM

beautiful and well made ouds...waiting for a track.;)

jshead - 12-22-2006 at 11:53 AM

I presume at the price they have auto tune pegs which might actually be worth $620K.

Dr. Oud - 12-22-2006 at 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by hakeem.ram
You might want to check the maker's webpage

http://www.ritter-royals.com

this makes specializes in guitar making, most of which are bass guitars. I wonder what kin dof oud does he make? hmmm

food for thought :mad:

Guess where he got the info to build this? Maybe I should have charged him $35,000 for the book, huh?

Brian Prunka - 12-22-2006 at 01:15 PM

Hey Dr. Oud,
maybe you should make a similar oud and offer it for 619,999.98
;)

Monawar Al-Jabar - 12-22-2006 at 01:43 PM

This is madness when some of the people don’t even have money for food. The owner must be crazy, if anyone now who he is please tell him to spend a day with poor man and he then will relies that he should have not spent this money .On the other hand who am i to say welcome to the Gulf ??????? :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Time - 12-22-2006 at 02:21 PM

I was wondering of what kind of strings did they use lol.

I have seen the show on TV. they have made many different things with the same standard.

hakeem.ram - 12-23-2006 at 09:28 AM

Dr Oud,

Just be glad and proud that with that book, such an oud was created. Nonetheless never judge the quality of that oud as a reflection of your expertise. I guess that was a set special made, but in playability terms, I doubt it. I mean he is a luthier, to some sense as a guitar builder, but in no way does that implicate he can build ouds.

Looks beautiful but playability wise, who are we to judge without a sound clip ;)

I hope one is coming soon!!

Cheers
Hakeem

P.S. the honor of having a masterpiece based on your idea is worth more than $35,000 :mad: Food for thought! :)

excentrik - 12-23-2006 at 02:48 PM

Im just really really honored to be in cyber-aquaintance with such a master as Dr. Oud! no doubt he needed to use your book!

tarik:bowdown:

Mazin - 12-23-2006 at 06:54 PM

oh Jameel I like your comment. Any way. I think it is clever to honer material like jewels..glod with Oud not otherwise. your hands, other people building the Oud including the man who build the basic frame of the above Oud are the real fortune.

Abdul:cool:

Beas.One - 12-23-2006 at 08:32 PM

I am really just not impressed with this instrument.:shrug:

Melbourne - 12-23-2006 at 09:58 PM

I would rather an oud with beautiful wood details and decorations any day. You know there is a pic of a shamsa I've seen circulating around the forums, its the large rose on the late Hamza Al Din's Nahat oud. To me, no amount of gold and diamonds could ever equal the beauty of this shamsa. One thing which dissapoints me with the Gulf region, and I'm sorry to get heated up here :mad:, is that it is all about the power of money. But money could never buy something that comes from the depths of the heart, such as love for exapmle, such as the love people like Jameel put into their work.

alex-nozh - 12-24-2006 at 01:20 AM

this must be posted in "Buy & Sell Ouds" :D

jdowning - 12-24-2006 at 06:47 AM

The company that made the oud seems to have market niche for very costly musical instruments - particularly solid body electric guitars. Presumably the oud has yet to find a customer and the price tag of $620,000 is currently just speculation?
Otherwise, it is hard to understand why the price should be set so high - it is not uniqueness as every oud ever made is, in some way, unique. It cannot be because of the amount of time spent in creating the instrument as - stripped of its gold and jewellery - it is presumably just a basic oud. I doubt if the material value invested in the instrument is anywhere near being a major portion of the asking price either. While the oud likely is fully functional as an instrument of music and may even sound well if properly constructed, it surely is not intended to be played - at least not if its current condition is to be maintained for posterity.
There is a long tradition of making costly instruments from exotic materials to be given as presentation pieces to the rich - many survive in museums today because of their material and decorative value and probably because they were consequently little played.
Here is one such example dating from the 16th century. It is the body of a lute by the renowned Venetian luthier Marx Unverdorben that was converted into a guitar (!) during the 19th C. (Cat.# 32, Charles van Raalte collection, Dean castle, Kilmarnock, Scotland). The body is of ivory (not the best of materials to use but costly and, therefore, fit for a king) and the ribs are decorated with an applied arabesque design in gold leaf picked out with red and green giving the instrument - even as it is today - an impressive appearance. However, gold leaf decoration on the body of a lute or oud is not a practical proposition for an instrument that is to be used as it eventually will wear off as can be seen in this example.
Its original value in the 16th C might also have been equivalent to $620k !!
Not an oud but thought that it might be of general interest.

ALOMARI - 12-24-2006 at 12:33 PM

2 bad , i'm just $40 k short , i would pay $1 million for both , does it come with a risha? or should i buy my own??

Greg - 12-24-2006 at 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ALOMARI
2 bad , i'm just $40 k short , i would pay $1 million for both , does it come with a risha? or should i buy my own??

They are still working on the risha, it's not an easy task to thin down 10,000 year-old Siberian Mammoth Ivory :)

Greg

Melbourne - 12-24-2006 at 06:24 PM

I visited this guy's website...RR, I admire his work - professional no doubt. But I read this extract from his "About" section : -

"For the last years musicians of stars like Madonna, Britney Spears or Christina Aguilera have been apreciating Ritter's instruments for their incomparable sound and playability of his instruments."

I'm sure stars like Britney rank amongst guitar giants as Eric Clapton or Jimi Hendrix for arguments sake in appreciating sound and playability of instruments. :rolleyes:

C'mon mate.......

oudplayer - 12-24-2006 at 06:29 PM

hey mate

YOUr 100% right his work it unbalivable and amazing if those are words you can use but i would love ot here the sound of these basses , and they are extreamly unique. ont he other hand soemtimes a novice instrument soudns 100X better then a work of art , and liek i said a work of art is a work of art.
thx sammy

excentrik - 12-25-2006 at 03:26 PM

I just checked out his page (that guy jens ritter) he does some pretty interesting work... but for al-oud, keep it in the soul, we dont need no diamonds to make something beautiful.

Melbourne, I agree with you- the gulf makes me sick sometimes... we dont need another vegas, you know? people in the region starve and are diplaced and this oud is up for $600,000++.:( seriously something wrong with that picture.

tarik

RabeeKafina - 12-25-2006 at 06:53 PM

Off course it's a joke to have an oud full of diamond and gold; but I like the idea of making an oud from metalic material; I wonder what is the nature of sound from it? mabe like (Jumbush)?
Did anybody try to make something similar?

hakeem.ram - 12-25-2006 at 10:04 PM

melbourne

I wonder what others like Steve Vai, Michale Angelo de Batio, Eric johnson and Yngwie Malmsteen has to say about his guitar?

Wonder what kind of Testimonials would Britney, Christina & Madona can give? "Ooooohhhhh baby that guitarsure looks good and sexy!"
:applause:

Again, Food for thought!:mad:

jdowning - 12-27-2006 at 07:05 AM

RabeekaFina is interested in an oud made from metal. When working as a full time heritage tinsmith, prior to retirement, I did build a full sized guitar (based on a - wooden(!) - 19th C French instrument by Grobert) in tinplate and brass - just for exhibition purposes. I have since been thinking about building a lute in tinplate - just for fun and to demonstrate tinsmithing skills - but a tinplate oud would be an interesting alternative project instead. Will see what I can do in the New Year as I am currently busy with other (non oud) instrument restoration projects. I don't anticipate that the sound will be up to much, however - different perhaps! I will eventually post the results but don't expect any jewelled decoration!