Mike's Oud Forums

Anyone know what this is ?

Greg - 12-22-2006 at 01:45 AM

I have a guy interested in buying one of my ouds and he wants to trade-in an "old" instrument.
The photos are very poor, but does anyone know anything about the maker or the instrument?

Regards,

Greg

abusin - 12-22-2006 at 02:15 AM

Hi Greg,

All I can see clearly on the lable is Jameel Georgy sons, possibly the makers
on the small rossets also on the right hand is Jameel and the left is George

best regards

Merry Christmas to ALL

Andy - 12-22-2006 at 10:18 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ARABIC-OUD-LUTE-GUITAR-RARE-OLD-OUD-UNKNOWN-MAK...
It is listed on ebay with only 13 + hours to go, the count down is on with no bids yet. Is it worth $235.56 American bucks plus another $250??? or so more for shipping.

Greg - 12-22-2006 at 12:40 PM

Hi Abusin,

Thanks for the information on the label and rosettes.

Andy, this seller has listed this oud and a number of other instruments (including a sukar oud) in the hope that one or more will sell and he can then go ahead with the purchase of one of my ouds. If his "Jameel Georgy" oud does not sell, I was considering taking it as a trade-in.

But it seems like it is from an unknown maker, so I wont risk it.

Regards,

Greg

zalzal - 12-22-2006 at 12:47 PM

Jamil Georges is un unknown maker ? Dr Oud gifted us, at oud projets forum, with a complete photographic repair process on a Jamil George's oud...
May be this oud is made by sons, or another homonyme...

Monawar Al-Jabar - 12-22-2006 at 01:47 PM

Gamile Georges is a good oud maker i don't really know why so many not know him i have an old oud from him what can i say the sound is as good as the best oud makes today.

Greg - 12-22-2006 at 06:44 PM

After seeing the photos, nobody has suggested that this particular instrument was made by Jamil Georgy. Is there a possibility it was made by his sons or is it more likely that it was made by an unknown?

Regards,

Greg

fyenix - 12-22-2006 at 07:07 PM

gift of the label from the son at his workshop in muhammad ali st cairo

fyenix - 12-22-2006 at 07:09 PM

with georges gameel playin sunbathi's efrah ya albi