Mike's Oud Forums

Oud Makers in Egypt

Hatem_Afandi - 1-7-2007 at 09:46 PM

Interesting clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpr9pXEni3I

SamirCanada - 1-7-2007 at 10:39 PM

Thank you soo much Hatem.
I want to go to egypt for some oud shopping one of these days.

zalzal - 1-8-2007 at 12:52 AM

Thank you, me too would like to go to Masr for oud shopping (specially an all mpingo shehata oud).

Wasn't Anwar Brahim the man seating by Nasser Shamma at Dar al Oud ?

Microber - 1-8-2007 at 12:55 AM

Yes it seems to be Anwar Brahem

thx for that clip

muthada - 1-8-2007 at 04:48 AM

Jameel - 1-8-2007 at 07:44 AM

Very nice. Sad though what Amin said about it dying off. On the contrary, it was nice to hear Shamma's comments. We need more videos like this in English.

Hosam - 1-8-2007 at 10:22 AM

Hatem, thank you for the nice clip. Does anybody have an oud or pictures for one made by Labib? I wish the next time I am in Egypt, I will have a crash course on oud making with Fathi Amin he is great. Just day dreaming :rolleyes:

Mike - 1-8-2007 at 01:30 PM

This is a great video Hatem. Thanks for the find. Usta Badr (Labib Habib) and Usta Fathi are 2 of the 3 main apprentices of the great oudmaker Gamil Georgy. It's great to see them in their advanced years getting the recognition from the media. All pro musicians and oud freaks most definitely know who they are.

jdowning - 1-8-2007 at 04:18 PM

Great video and optimistic for the oud as well! An all too brief demonstration of what can be created with the simplest of tools and workshop facilities - if you are a master craftsman!
I agree with Jameel - we need more videos like this recording not only the techniques of the master oud makers but their philosophies as luthiers. Arabic with English sub titles is fine by me.

Hatem_Afandi - 1-8-2007 at 06:29 PM

Dear friends,
It was my pleasure. I do hope that I will get to visit Masr in the near future too. However, I have been too busy, and shame one me, I will be visiting Abu Dhabi in a couple of days with no chance to stop by Cairo!!!!!
Maybe I will find a oud by either great makers. Maybe I will get an Iraqi oud. My friends there tell me that there is a shop in Al Salaam Street that sells ouds. I will definitely let you know.
Salamaat,
Hatem

ALOMARI - 1-8-2007 at 09:03 PM

million thanks hatem-afandi , very nice and brings back the memories of old oud makers .
really nice