Mike's Oud Forums

Asturias

TruePharaoh21 - 2-19-2004 at 05:13 PM

How many people have played this composition? I know Farid did in his Hekayit Gharamee overture, and a few posts back, I believe it was Najib Shaheen who played it. The composer was Albeniz, I believe. Salem Abdel Karem plays it as well too. Does anyone know of anyone else? If you know of one, please post. If you have a recording, be sure to post it here as well. ALSO... if you yourself play Asturias on your oud, record it and let's hear it. Usually, the piece that is most familiar to us (or to me, rather) is that which Farid played, and Najib stuck to that mostly as well, as did Abdel Karem.

TP21

P.S. I know many of you can play it, so don't be shy!

TruePharaoh21 - 2-19-2004 at 05:17 PM

Just as a side note... here's Salem Abdul Karem playing it:

http://www.iraqiart.com/realram/loadclipall.asp?clip=salim/oud/casb...

And I've attached Najib playing it down below.

TP21

Zulkarnain - 2-19-2004 at 05:37 PM

TP

You have Farid version buddy?

Salam

TruePharaoh21 - 2-20-2004 at 09:13 AM

I sure do, man. Here's the Hekayit Gharamee overture.

TP21

Ronny Andersson - 2-20-2004 at 10:51 AM

>How many people have played this >composition?

I have (not a favourite) and many other compositions from Spanish tradition. Spanish themes aren't rare to here in both compositions and taqsims.
That Salem is a classical trained guitarist it easy recognizable. His version is better and clever than Najib's who follows Farid to much, instead of doing something new and his plectrum skill (tremolo not least) is inferior Farid, who demonstrate it to full potential in this recording.

Albéniz

oudman - 2-20-2004 at 10:54 AM

it is a composition by Isaac Albéniz entitled suite asturias.

TruePharaoh21 - 2-20-2004 at 11:08 AM

Ronny, you should post your version of it. I'd love to hear you play it. I follow Farid's way of playing more. Albeniz's original version is more easily identified in Salem's playing, as you've noted. I suppose you play more of the classically styled one?

Be sure to post.

TP21

samzayed - 4-19-2005 at 07:55 PM

Anyone have a score of this for the oud?

Many thanks in advance,

Sam

amarock - 4-20-2005 at 06:39 PM

One of the best version of Asturias on oud is the version of Samir Joubran in his cd Tamaas
Bruno

bluesyOud - 4-20-2005 at 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TruePharaoh21
I sure do, man. Here's the Hekayit Gharamee overture.

TP21

I prefer this version!!!!Asturias has been inspired from
some mine workers who worked reaally hard on very dificult conditions!!!

:D

samzayed - 4-20-2005 at 09:13 PM

amarock, listening to Samir Joubran play it is the reason I want to learn it. However, its not on Tamaas, its on "Misunderstandings" Which is a good cd, as well. Lots of Farid-esque playing.

amarock - 4-21-2005 at 04:20 AM

Samzayed,you are right,it is not on Tamas,it was just a ..........misunderstanding,;)
Samir joubran is a wonderfull oud player...an other one of my region;)
Regards
Bruno

Jameel - 4-21-2005 at 04:54 AM

Sam,

Where can we get these CD's? I have a hard time finding a supplier online...

mavrothis - 4-21-2005 at 05:20 AM

It is really inspiring to hear Salem Abdul Karem play the actual piece so closely to the actual guitar version.