Mike's Oud Forums

GHS Fast Fret

Mike - 3-5-2007 at 07:50 AM

Anybody ever use this product? Is it good?

oudplayer - 3-5-2007 at 11:25 AM

hey m,ikk
what does it do and what is it for
thx sammy

Mike - 3-5-2007 at 04:09 PM

It's some sort of treatment for the strings. It is advertised to cleans stings, brighten sound, and prolong fingerboard life. I dunno???

Hosam - 3-5-2007 at 05:12 PM

Mike, I use this on my guitars. It lubricates the fret board/strings and makes it easier to slide you fingers across the frets on the fingerboard. I never tried to use it on the oud though. If you do not mind a slightly oily/greasy fingerboard (even after wiping it off) then you can give it a shot.

samzayed - 3-5-2007 at 09:34 PM

I have not tried it, but its crossed my mind a few times.

If it made the string more slippery, but not too slippery, you may be able to do glissande and vibrato easier and more effectively. I would reluctant to use it if it made the strings too slippery where you missed or slide off the point where you wanted your finger tips to be at.

Brynley - 3-5-2007 at 10:23 PM

I,ve used this product, its some kind of silicone based stuff that reduces friction slightly especially on the wound strings. I,ve noticed slightly less string noise and marginally easier slides, and gliss, but it seems to wear off fast. Maybe worth a try, but I wouldn,t buy a case of it!

excentrik - 3-5-2007 at 11:41 PM

yeh-
Mike I used it- It was fun for a while (just the difference in feeling) but the slipppery-ness gets annoying after a while- I dont use it on my guitar- only lemon oil on the fretboard, nothing for the strings...

tarik

Mike - 3-6-2007 at 07:29 AM

thanks for your feedback fellas. brynley, it's funny that you said don't by a whole case of it, because that's exactly what i did. the dude at sam ashe was like, "you gonna sell these on the street or what?" actually, these are not for me, but for Ahmad Fathi. he requested them from Mo. i'm probably gonna keep one or two of them though to check it out. tarik, when are we gonna meet man? i have a friend who has a hookah place in la verne. maybe next time we go and hang out over there, i'll let you know.

excentrik - 3-7-2007 at 11:18 AM

Mike, check yer U2U-

"you gonna sell these on the street or what?"

seriously LOL!!! I can just see that in a few years- "yo man I got that stuff you need!"

tarik:D

Monty88 - 3-8-2007 at 01:01 AM

I don't mind it, i wash my hands before playing, then put some of this on my turkish oud, it works nicely, and if I give the strings a wipe down, it seems to keep them in pretty good playing condition for a while.

Worth a try.....it's not expensive.