Mike's Oud Forums

Oud with Guitar Pegs?

improvpwnd - 6-18-2007 at 08:36 PM

Hey everyone!
I am currently shopping for an oud. I am a beginner player and interested in playing Arabic style. I visited http://www.eraydinsazevi.com.tr/ and noticed the option for "Guitar Pegs" for an extra $25 and easier tune ability. The reason I am interested in a new oud is because the one I have is near impossible to tune due to stubborn tuning pegs. I am not concerned with spending the extra $25, as long as it is worth it. Is it worth it? Will I get made fun of :D?

MatthewW - 6-19-2007 at 04:05 AM

hey, not if you play in a rock band with it....seriously I don't think anyone would mind, if you didn't mind! Let us know how you get on with them, and Welcome to Mike'sOuds!

Haluk - 6-19-2007 at 04:49 AM

I think you saw the old type of oud with guitar tuners at my web site.

I will post new style oud with more lighter pegs.

Total weight of 11 pegs 80 grams now.

rromadOud - 6-19-2007 at 11:50 AM

Hello and Welcome improvpwnd!!

i don't think there's any problem with machine tuners on an oud.:)

i would like to get one with them just for the easiness of it.........for practice.

but a properly fit set of friction tuners, tune like butter.;)

improvpwnd - 6-19-2007 at 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rromadOud

but a properly fit set of friction tuners, tune like butter.;)

This is the my main concern... Maybe my under-$100-oud is just impossible to tune because its a cheapy, and one from the site I mentioned above should not have the same problem, even with the stock friction tuners.

Brian Prunka - 6-20-2007 at 06:01 AM

Properly fit pegs have no problem tuning. If you already have a cheap oud, I'd recommend saving up to buy a decent instrument that will have properly fit tuning pegs. And if you're more interested in Arabic style, buying an Arabic rather than Turkish oud makes more sense.

excentrik - 6-27-2007 at 07:03 PM

personally, I think the guitar tuning machines are ugly on an oud- but thats just my opinion...

brian- yer right-

improvpwnd- you really should but an arabic oud if you want that sound and feel- and go with the traditional pegs, they always fit right when your instrument is professional-

one love, good luck

tarik