Mike's Oud Forums

The start of a beautiful friendship

Greg - 6-21-2007 at 08:58 AM

Earlier this week, Joseph Tawadros returned home to Sydney after a few weeks in Paris and London ........ and a few days in Istanbul !!!
He brought with him a beautiful new friend.
Joseph and his new friend can be seen here, laying down tracks for a major motion picture, the day after he got off the plane from Turkey.
No prizes for guessing who introduced Joe to the new love in his life. (Yes, you are right, this is a rather special Arabic oud made for Joseph by Faruk Türünz)

More pictures and the full story to follow.

Greg - 6-21-2007 at 09:07 AM

It's three in the morning here, so the followup pictures and story will have to wait. But here is another picture from the same recording session. More later.....

Faladel - 6-21-2007 at 09:22 AM

Hi Greg:

¿can You say to me who is the Luthier of this oud?
Thanks ;)

Ararat66 - 6-21-2007 at 09:28 AM

Its master Faruk!!!

Leon

Jameel - 6-21-2007 at 10:34 AM

Thanks Greg for burning the midnight oil on this one! Can't wait to see more pics. That is an incredible looking oud. The pickguard is just fantastic. It's so nice to see excellently crafted embellished ouds, and this one looks to be incredible. Some close-ups of the pickguard would be great. The artist doing Faruk's inlay work is a real master.

Mike - 6-21-2007 at 08:53 PM

Cool pictures...Cool oud...cool kangol. :buttrock:

Good to see that you guys have finally hooked up. It's long overdue. Looking forward to the story and more pictures of this beautiful oud.

mavrothis - 6-22-2007 at 02:54 AM

Wow,

Mabrouk Joseph! I can't wait to hear you playing this beautiful instrument - thanks for the pictures Greg!

mavrothis

oudplayer - 6-22-2007 at 06:17 AM

awesome:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

Benjamin - 6-22-2007 at 06:24 AM

and you have seven string tracks on it I see, i.e. you can both add a low bass string and the high F (in Arabic tuning) if I'm not mistaking

Some background info:

Greg - 6-22-2007 at 07:49 AM

In his quest for the perfect instrument, Joseph has acquired, and has in his collection, many ouds. But, like most of us oud “crazies”, he continues to search for the "perfect" instrument.
In early 2006, whilst performing in Adelaide, he was loaned a Faruk Türünz oud. He was very impressed by the production quality, tone and playability of this instrument, but it was a Turkish oud and Joseph is an Arabic oud player, so that’s as far as it went.
What Joseph didn’t know was that Faruk had been doing some serious work on soundboard tuning and bracing designs for Arabic ouds since early 2005.
To cut a long story short, in February of this year, Joseph and Faruk “discovered” eachother and thus began a close (but long distance) collaboration, in which Faruk designed and built the oud to Joseph’s physical specifications, but using his renowned design techniques.

For the full story, here is a link to a draft of an article to be published in the next month’s issue of Music Forum Magazine (the official magazine of the Music Council of Australia)
http://www.worldmusiccafe.info/turunztawadros.html

Both Faruk and Joseph are delighted with the results of their collaboration and have come to an agreement whereby similar instruments, to be known as the “Joseph Tawadros Signature Model,” will be available from Faruk. As with all Faruk's instruments, each instrument will be made to order and some of the individual specifications may be altered to suit individual buyers' needs. Faruk is a member of these forums, so I will leave it to him to expand on the detail, but the basics are as follows:

The Joseph Tawadros Signature Model includes;

# 7 courses tuned (from bass to treble)

C (can be tuned down to a G as suggested by JT) – single course
F (can be tuned down to a D as suggested by JT) – single course (if double preferred, can be arranged)
A – Double course
D – Double course
G – Double course
C – Double course
F – Double course

# A High Quality Fishman under saddle Acoustic pick-up and pre-amp equalizer.

# Tuned bracings for Arabic tonalities and special Faruk Türünz Frequency Formula.

# Stylish Joseph Tawadros Logo carved in the Ebony fingerboard using PlexiGlass (Logo also available in Mother of Pearl – Must be discussed with Faruk.)

Jameel - 6-22-2007 at 08:01 AM

Nice article Greg. Thanks for posting.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who is itching to hear a sound clip of this oud. So, JT...can we hear it?!! Pleeeez! :bowdown:

More pics:

Greg - 6-22-2007 at 08:30 AM

oudplayer - 6-22-2007 at 01:30 PM

hey greg
thx alot very interesting
thx sammy
p.s what is that buuilding in the backround of the last pic

Jameel - 6-22-2007 at 02:08 PM

Sammy,

That would be the church of Agia Sophia (Holy Wisdom), erected in the year 532. An incredible structure full of fantastic Byzantine art...

Cyberquills - 6-22-2007 at 03:43 PM

What an exciting development! I missed Joseph on his last visit to Perth but MAN will I be making sure I don't let that happen again!!

Thanks for the story and pics Greg

CQ

ps - Can't wait to see and HEAR the film!!

Melbourne - 6-22-2007 at 08:39 PM

Thanks Jameel...y'slam temak....I was about to answer sammy's question....but I scrolled down and saw your entry.....

It is perhaps worth adding that contrary to popular belief...the building is not a mosque. Agia Sofia was transformed into a mosque when Constantinople fell to the Ottomans in 1453. Today the building is a museum.

And now to the oud :D. We finally have a long awaited product of Turkish craftsmanship and Arabic specifications. Quite a beautiful instrument...can't wait to hear it... Alf Mabrouk JT. Love the happy snaps ;)

Lintfree - 6-22-2007 at 11:51 PM

Now that's an oud! And seven courses.......nice round biblical number. It looks a little like the one that was/is on Master Turuns' website, the one we all lust after. This one looks even scarier up close. Great quality photos too. And it is the search for the perfect instrument; the one that plays easily, sounds fantastic, is well made and looks marvelous. I used to think that a perfect oud could replace just about everything and
anything............................I still think that. Let's see.....Paris Hilton ........................or
the seven course Arabic oud in the pictures above......? Uhhh......

Ararat66 - 6-22-2007 at 11:52 PM

The bridge reminds me of those split bridges developed by K Yairi the guiter maker (although with the opposite curve) that dissipates the string tension.

Leon

Lintfree - 6-23-2007 at 12:07 AM

Yes.................the bridge. It's like the bridges on the Najarian Electric ouds and the one on Bilezekjian's Karibyan. Barcus Berry started that in the seventies and it's a great technology. Martin made a system that was a little different and then Highlander came out with a variation. It's like a classical guitar bridge with a bone or ivory saddle. And in the pictures you can see the pre-amp which may mean a battery somewhere. On the ArifSag Saz website you can see a similar preamp in the sides of a lot of his saz's. That bridge gives the accoustic oud a slightly different tone than with a regular bridge, slightly more guitar-like. I have an EBE accoustic oud with a similar bridge and it sounds great. Bilezekjian's Karibyan sounds fabulous with that bridge he has. It's definitely worth checking out. Great setup. And you can drown out an entire band, drummer and all with a single oud!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JT - 6-24-2007 at 08:15 AM

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the great comments. It is one hell of an instrument! Im very very very very very happy with it.
I performed last night at the Sydney Opera House with it and had a whole lot of fun, it gave me alot of inspiration.
The performance was recorded, so I will try and get some audio clips up from the performance to give you an idea of its beauty. The resonance and sound are very special. Infact many audience members commented on this. Im such a lucky guy!

I am really busy at the moment with recordings, concerts and am travelling all over the place, so will try and get some clips up when I get a spare moment...

All the best,

JT

Melbourne - 6-26-2007 at 03:02 AM

A top bloke deserves to have a top oud!

Hope to hear this new beauty on your next CD ;)

abusin - 6-26-2007 at 03:19 AM

Hi TJ,

you're such a lucky guy, congrats on this beautyfull instrument and what a match bro you are world class oudist and you deserve to have the best of ouds to inspire us more:bowdown:
play it in good health,
we can't wait for the recording
best regards,

Awad

Benjamin - 6-26-2007 at 03:44 AM

wooooooooow this oud is just great, didn't hear it, but looks so fine, smooth to play, and I just love the 7 courses stuff, kind of a way not to hesitate anymore all the time whether to choose the lower C string or the higher F string. Look forward to hear a nice taqasim with movements to the higher notes of the F string and bass from the lower C string..

abusin - 6-26-2007 at 05:03 AM

Hi Greg,

Sorry mate I just forgot to thank you for this great post and this beauifull oud,
best regards to you and JT,
thanks

Awad

JT - 6-28-2007 at 07:59 AM

Thanks for the wishes guys.
Heres another photo of me playing the oud- Im not exactly Brad Pitt or an oud pin up boy just yet, but Im easily cropable out of the picture with some computer programs.:D

Sound file will come soon...

All the best,

JT

Greg - 7-26-2007 at 10:27 PM

As I said elsewhere on the forums, I was lucky enough to spend a few hours with Joe and James Tawadros yesterday and I videotaped some great playing by these guys.
The recording was done using my ordinary inbuilt camcorder microhone and done in a very live old apartment room where the guys are staying while here for concerts.
So, after factoring in those things, here is how the new "JT" model sounds: (7.13 MB)
www.worldmusiccafe.info/files/J&J-Tawadros.wmv

Enjoy!

Greg

Cyberquills - 7-27-2007 at 03:53 AM

Great stuff. Inspiring.

CQ

Jameel - 7-27-2007 at 04:49 AM

Great video Greg. You don't need a better recording to tell how nice that oud sounds. It reminds me of a much older oud, no doubt. Faruk hit the spot on this one. Nice to JT up close too, and his little brother is like a machine on the riq.

oudplayer - 7-27-2007 at 11:49 AM

hey greg
thx again man this was great stuff.
joe and james u guys rock together if yr looking for a 3rd brother i am willing to move down with you guys.;)
thx sammy

JT - 7-29-2007 at 09:35 PM

Thanks for the wonderful comments guys,
but as always James makes me look good and an amazing instrument always helps:)

All the best,

JT

paulO - 7-30-2007 at 04:06 PM

Greg,

Thanks for posting the Video -- the simple recording technique captured everything beautifully, the sound of the oud, the riq...wow.

James -- the interplay between Joe and yourself is amazing. I love your sound and approach, the oud sounds fantastic. Joe's playing is super, it's got to be an absolute blast working with him.

Cheers..PaulO

JT - 7-30-2007 at 08:59 PM

Hey Paul,

James is pretty amazing, Im very blessed to have him. Its a blast working with him let me tell you.
He inspires me so much, alot of the sycopations are unbelievable and the variety of textures he can get out of that thing... well the video speaks for itself.

Thanks for your comments, but Im really nothing special mate, I'm still practicing.

All the best,

JT

farukturunz - 8-2-2007 at 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Greg
As I said elsewhere on the forums, I was lucky enough to spend a few hours with Joe and James Tawadros yesterday and I videotaped some great playing by these guys.
The recording was done using my ordinary inbuilt camcorder microhone and done in a very live old apartment room where the guys are staying while here for concerts.
So, after factoring in those things, here is how the new "JT" model sounds: (7.13 MB)
www.worldmusiccafe.info/files/J&J-Tawadros.wmv

Enjoy!

Greg

It is also on YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7etDp94r10

Enjoy!

JT - 8-15-2007 at 02:53 AM

Hey Guys,

I thought you might like this short clip. Its an intro imporvisation to one of my pieces called "A Dream". Its from a live performance of my trio at the Sydney Opera House last month.
It features my brother James on Bendir and myself playing the JT Signature oud built by Oustaz Faruk Turunz.

All the best,

JT
http://www.worldmusiccafe.info/files/J&JTawadrosSydneyLive.mp3

Cyberquills - 8-15-2007 at 05:45 PM

Go Joe! :applause:

Very good.

CQ

damascene_oud - 8-16-2007 at 04:23 AM

Dear JT,
Honestly it is a masterpiece of Turkish craftsmanship producing an unparalleled quality of sound indeed. The making of the oud is surely done with perfection.
BUT, what's the use of such a great instrument if not being played on by somebody like you. The least i can say about your playing; and this is what i'd like to concentrate on; was and is to me like a window that moves me to a different time where and when Arabic music was played in the courts of Abbassyds in Baghdad, or Omayyads in Damascus, in such a great perfection originated in nature from Sahara, and loaded with the scent of spices and incense spreading its heavenly scents in the air of the old bazaars of Damascus. The most important part in your playing is, the magnitude of the amount of emotions and sheer feelings therein. I felt that it's not the quil [risha] that was striking on the strings, but a sweet, harmonious and genuine heart beats producing fine Arabic heavenly hymns coming from the very heart of Arabia to echo around in the courts of Omayyads and Abbassyds, enchanting its hearers making them submerge in a spiritual world of suplications and prayers.
In short, infinite "ah's" to your play.
Keep it up, with all my cordial wishes for a briliant future.
And please post more excerpts of your playing :bowdown:
I.B

JT - 8-16-2007 at 05:04 AM

I.B aka damascene_oud

That is one of the nicest things someone has ever written about me. I really thank you from the bottom of heart for such comments. I am very happy to hear that you like my playing, this really means alot. This is also testament of how nice and kind hearted person you are.

As for my playing, I dont think Im anything special mate. Just listen to Sunbati, Qassabji and Farid and you will realise how this. These are real masters who have given the oud so much. I can only do what I can and do my best because I love the music and tradition. I passionately love the oud(as we all do) and constantly try and compose new repertoire for it, but am humbled when I listen to the taqasims of these great masters, they are true pioneers.

I guess Im trying to do my bit for the oud community and try and make a difference and if I get comments like yours, it really does make me feel like I am.

I will try and put on more tracks shortly.
Thanking you again for your kindness, encouragement and love.

All the best,

JT

Ararat66 - 8-16-2007 at 01:06 PM

Hi Joe

Your playing is beautiful my friend, I think you have a very special and wonderful talent - wether this is comparable to your heroes in your ears cannot chaqnge that.

All my best wishes

Leon

damascene_oud - 8-18-2007 at 10:40 AM

Dear Joseph,
Whatever i said in my previous entry was fully meant, and i assure you that i wasn't exaggerating at all; at least this is how i felt; but to others they might have other opinions.
I fully understand the facts that those artists: Sunbati, Qassabji, Farid and others are masters in oud playing.
But let me tell you this, for me i tend to categorize each of them in his own category of players that he surpassed others grouping within the same category.
Farid for example: was of the old Syrian traditional school in oud playing and he was the master in that area.
Qassabji: He had an unprecedented style that nobody after him could immitate. His technique to me is surely surpassing Farid's and Sunbati's without question. If you listen to some of his special and privates recordings you will realize that fact, that his style is exceptional and unimmitatable.
Sunbati: An artist full of emotions, feelings, sensations and sensitivity. This what made him Oum Kolsoum's favorite composer. His playing style is based on his knowledge of the instrument added to those i previously mantioned, therefore he came out with a style that is very simple, yet nobody could ever resist falling in love with.
To me, and when i feel a need for something to let free of some trapped emotions within me, or some music that can free my soul from its straints, i always resort to Sunbati's "Ashwaq" or other taqassims for some relaxation and maybe meditation. To be honest with you i always wish i could refine my style to become like Sunbati's, but well i guess i have a long way to go to achieve that.
so my friend, believe me the bottom line and the most important thing when it comes to playing on "OUD" is simply the gift that you enjoy, i.e: emotions, passion and feelings. I have heard many oud players that sweeped my mind in their style when it comes to speed and mastery of the instrument, but they falied big time to manage to extract one single "aahh" from me, though i was impressed with their style.
A friend of mine dear Joseph never categorize himself as oud player, but when i hear him caressing his oud's strings i feel that time has changed and i am there in another world, full of emotions, sensations and serenity, and he is very wicked that he manages to make everyone say lots of "aah's"
To give you an exmple my dear friend, here is a link for a video for a taqasim by a young Turkish oud player that i like to watch regularly.
I listened to many Turkish oud players and was wowed by how effecient they are in mastering each and every aspect of the instrument, but this young guy is so special, he touches the bottom of your heart with a playing loaded with feelings and emotions, and this is what makes him special.
In short my dear friend it's always about emotions and feelings that maked a player special not only technique and mastery, it's the talent itself. And as far as i can see, you have those for sure.
So keep up the good work.
With my best wishes for you. :applause:
Izzat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QMq6Q36FAU

JT - 8-18-2007 at 06:14 PM

Dear Izzat,

I thank you so much for your kindness and am flattered you enjoy my playing so much.

Take care and keep 'ouding',

JT

JT - 8-18-2007 at 06:21 PM

Btw,

There are more video clips on http://www.josephtawadros.com on the listen page if your interested. All the best.

JT

JT - 8-28-2007 at 04:39 AM

Hey Guys,

I thought you guys might like the extended version of an earlier video of me playing the JT Signature model oud with my brother James, the piece is called Forbidden Fruit.

Its 8 minutess instead of the earlier 4 minutes that was posted. The clip can be found here:

http://www.worldmusiccafe.info/files/ForbiddenFruit.wmv

I hope you like...

JT