Mike's Oud Forums

slow but sure - oud #3

carpenter - 10-4-2007 at 03:21 PM

Mike gets an Egyptian pyramid, I get my Irish doggies. Here's the rose, and a not-yet-glued-on pegbox backplate to match. Ribs cut, bent and shaped, neck finished, bowl fixture ready to roll; progress reports to come.

amtaha - 10-4-2007 at 04:27 PM

Now that photo shows nothing but love ...

Ah! Your work is becoming an addiction!

Jameel - 10-4-2007 at 04:54 PM

That's just plain cool Jim! Can't wait to see the rest. Love the delicate interwoven carving of the rose too.

Marina - 10-5-2007 at 12:17 PM

Beautiful.

carpenter - 10-5-2007 at 04:06 PM

Thanks, all. I had more time than money, so this one's jeweler's-sawed out, with a little X-Acto knife work to finish. (As nice as that laser-cut rose turned out ... maybe next time.) All I have to do is to build the rest of the oud up to this level, yes?

I had a wood constraint this time. I'm using really nice mahogany from a side rail of my daughter's unwanted antique bed frame. (I'm a big proponent of urban recycled logging.) There were so many bolt and screw holes, I had to go with a seventeen-rib design to fit the available width of the material, without doing any plugging. We'll see how it goes, but with enough attention on the front end of the project, it should practically build itself, right?

This one may take more time; I'm going to turn the tuning pegs. If there's interest or demand, I'll put up a photo series. A little practice first, then we'll see. Fitting the pegbox to the neck, progress reports as they happen.

Fazhu - 10-5-2007 at 06:56 PM

I for one would love to see a series on turning the pegs. Anything else for that matter! Thanks.

Jonathan - 10-7-2007 at 08:19 AM

WOW. What kind of wood did you use for the rosettes? How thick?
You got a really cool 3-d effect going on there.
I love the back of the pegbox--very lute-like.

carpenter - 10-7-2007 at 10:35 AM

The wood is really dense mahogany, avg. .080 thick. Here's a detail photo - the cuts aren't all that deep to give the 3-D illusion; 10 thou, maybe. Not exactly a V-cut, more of a vertical cut and a gentle falloff on the shadow side. It's pretty strong for what it is; making those cuts any deeper would effectively make it a piece of paper where the cuts are. Careful!

The pegbox back is a wee bit thicker, with wider element lines. I probably could've gotten away with thinner. (If it blows up, I know a guy who can make a new one.) Kind of a lute-y thing going on there, agreed, but I like the visual lightness, and if I'm happy...

Pressing deeper into peg territory.

carpenter - 10-7-2007 at 12:11 PM

Still fitting the pegbox to the neck. So far, so good - the full pierced effect, with a little ebony veneer and ivory end piece. I'm a little conflicted about doing the 3-D carving thing here, but I probably will. Mostly I like the relatedness with the rose.

I'm also thinking about some maple stringing along the pegbox curves. As much as I like the plain-brown-wrapper, simple style, it just seems to need a little something. We'll see.

carpenter - 10-10-2007 at 07:52 AM

I posted those peg-making photos in Advice, Tips, and Questions - Making Pegs.

carpenter - 10-18-2007 at 06:04 AM

Pegbox results, victory claimed. (Maple stringing? What was I thinking?)

I just checked, and that bowl isn't making itself. I'd best get busy.

Jonathan - 10-18-2007 at 07:10 AM

Very nice. Almost has an art nouveau look to it.

carpenter - 10-18-2007 at 07:37 AM

It's pretty cool-lookin' with the light coming through it. I hope I stopped this side of Art Drecko ... I think it will look good all together.

The pegs are some bubinga I've been moving out of my way for years, and I won't use it again. Well, maybe if I need a floor for a horse stall or some freight trailer decking. It's tough! Polishes up beautifully, looks like rosewood, turns pretty nicely, but it was sure crabby to shave the tapers; wanted to splinter and chatter, and it eats tool edges fast. Could be I got a funny piece. I'm going back to boxwood regardless.

paulO - 10-18-2007 at 09:16 AM

Dude !! Very cool and unique work, thanks for all the postings, much appreciated.

Regards..Paul

Jesse Frank - 10-18-2007 at 03:08 PM

Wow, that is looking great!

I really love the open work on the headstock:D:applause:

Jameel - 10-18-2007 at 03:38 PM

Gorgeous work, Jim. Love the pegs and especially the little quirk on the inside edge of the pegbox.

Dr. Oud - 10-18-2007 at 04:02 PM

Is that a string guide on the peg box top edge or did you forget to round that bump over?

oudplayer - 10-18-2007 at 04:57 PM

hey man

wow thast amazing how long did it take u to do that ??/
thx sammy

abc123xyz - 10-18-2007 at 05:33 PM

Just look how natural the Celtic scrollwork looks on the
oud; simply beautiful!

We see here that ideal joining up of artistic taste with
the craftsmanship necessary to realize the idea.

David

carpenter - 10-18-2007 at 08:30 PM

Thanks so much, all. Appreciate the feedback.

<< Is that a string guide on the peg box top edge or did you forget to round that bump over? >>

Oops, did I forget to do that? I was knifing away on the string relief, and it just sort of happened; I liked it, and there it is. If pressed, I'd call it Art, but then I'm likely to say just about anything. "Often wrong, never uncertain."

<< how long did it take u to do that ??>>

The pierced work was a couple of hours extra beyond making a plain pegbox, not counting headscratching and drawing time. The pegs took far too long for my taste; just out of practice, I guess.

The easy part's over.

carpenter - 10-22-2007 at 11:42 AM

Keeping the "slow" in "slow but sure" - the initial rib glued up. The neck block clamping gizmo seems to be working as expected, and I put this former in at the widest point of the bowl. The rib is verifiably right down the center and twist-free; the former also provides a little insurance for checking on alignment issues later on. It's screwed on from the bottom, so I can drop it out if needs be, but it looks worthwhile so far.

If I don't wear my tinfoil hat all the time, I get these Ideas ... some of them actually pan out.

Jesse Frank - 10-22-2007 at 05:45 PM

I like the way you're doing the back.... that clamping jig looks great.... I'm still reeling from that headstock, too. Great stuff!

carpenter - 10-23-2007 at 08:44 AM

Thanks, Jesse. The bowl's going okay, no complaints (tho' 'faster' would be good). That neck block gizmo seems to be worth figuring out. It's early yet.

The decorative business is good-looking, but a real easy trap for me to fall into. Structurally sound, decent craftsmanship, action/playability, tone ... then the "fuzzy dice." If the oud looks good as a whole, I'll be happy, even happier if it sounds good!

I'm just a baby here (#3?!); I don't know much for sure. 50 or 100 instruments from now, I might be "getting it." I recall reading somewhere about a guy who had made 480 ouds. At my 3-a-year rate ... hey, only 160 years to go! I'd better get busy. Maybe I could outsource the hard stuff to Jameel ...

Progress - such as it is - report

carpenter - 11-1-2007 at 09:19 AM

Well, it's a bowl, all right, pretty much fresh off the form here. I have to say, seventeen ribs is a much stricter teacher than nine ribs; that half-millimeter difference can stack up in a hurry. No real errors, just Learning Moments (heh). There are a couple of inexplicable small cracks that I'll carve some slivers to glue in; better than glue-and-sawdust, I think; just more attention.

On to the top soon - and probably more surprises. Adds spice!

Jesse Frank - 11-1-2007 at 04:49 PM

Looks good... Is that a pull plane? I've never used one. If it is, how do you like it?

Jesse

Jameel - 11-1-2007 at 05:39 PM

Very nice, Jim. Is that the yew?

By the way, you're beyond me. I'm just a rookie. One more bowl for you and we'll be matched 4 for 4.

abusin - 11-2-2007 at 06:38 AM

Hi Carpenter,

man you rock, never seen anything like this before on an oud:bounce:

Awesome work, good luck buddy I can't waite to see it completed and hear that sound,

best of luck

Awad

carpenter - 11-2-2007 at 06:59 AM

<< Is that a pull plane? I've never used one. If it is, how do you like it? >>

Jesse - It's a Japanese plane, cuts on the pull, and I love 'em, particularly on softwoods; shavings like delaminated Kleenex. The little guy has a 1 1/4" blade, and a 6" body, and feels 'just nice' in the hand. Here's a photo of some: the two light-bodied ones have chipbreakers, which is usual. For something so simple-looking, there's a lot of elegance, economy, and precision at work, and a lot to learn. Pulling takes some getting used to (Japanese saws cut on the pull, too). The two darker ones are old; the light ones I got from Hida Tool in CA, if I remember. Japan Woodworker is good, also. (I got a nice one once in a junk shop for $2, so keep your eyes open.)

Jameel, that's the mahogany antique bed rail. I'm saving the yew for my old age. Oh, wait... Also, I'm on the casual hunt for more yew heart, so maybe that'll be #4 some day soon.

carpenter - 11-2-2007 at 07:29 AM

<< never seen anything like this before on an oud >>

What, the pierced pegbox? Maybe not on an oud - lutes, yeah. I wanted to pretty the thing up a little. Not much original thinking going on here, but I do dig the rose doggies. Even there, that was inspired by a text decoration from the Book of Kells. (The original is 5/16" dia. - I had a bit bigger playground.)

<< Awesome work, good luck buddy I can't wait to see it completed and hear that sound >>

Thanks so much, Awad, and I can't either.

Oh, well

carpenter - 11-12-2007 at 03:00 PM

It appears we'll be moving house sometime soon, so it looks like I have to box up the Work In Progress. Here's a 'thus-far' pic - paper strips (Japanese handmade Kitakata) glued in, bowl thicknessed, top halves rough-thicknessed, rose done, neck complete, various bits and pieces nearly ready ... some minor assembly required! I hope for the best - like a "Shop space with semi-detached house" listing. (Don't we all!)

Check in with you all in the future; I better go pack boxes for now. Thanks to everybody for everything. Keep smiling!

(12" Makita jointer-planer for sale, $600 cash; U-Lift, U-Load [300 lbs], Eugene OR. Just thought I'd stick that in there ...)

carpenter - 2-25-2008 at 11:09 AM

My shop's still a mess - can't hardly move out there for the boxes - I figured it's about time to glue those top braces on, and I do love go-bars for that job. Plus, it's freezing cold out there, not the best glue environment, in my opinion. After a little inspiration, I moved right in to the warm (er) kitchen, with the pictured result. Worked great! Practically everybody's got a go-bar deck! The bars are from tight-grained cedar scraps I had laying around; the bands are length indicators.

Otherwise, the neck's now glued on, and the soundhole purfling is glued in. Progress!

carpenter - 2-25-2008 at 11:11 AM

Something went awry there - here's the pic:

Peyman - 2-27-2008 at 10:28 AM

That's a good idea. Glad to see this project moving forward. I really enjoyed your illustrations on your website. They are really neat (specially the dead stuff).

carpenter - 3-12-2008 at 01:39 PM

Thanks, Peyman - I like those little b/w illustrations; concentrated, concise, no ink wasted.

Here's Proof of Progress, such as it is. Three coats of TruOil so far, more to come. My dining table/kitchen counter oud! - so who needs a shop? (Well, ideally me, for one, but that's not happening at the moment.)

And I'm liking the red cedar top. It's a little splitty and soft to work, but heck. Dents are part of the aging process, right?

If I can get a handle on things on the 'puter, I'll have a sound sample this time. If it sounds as good as it looks, that'd sure be something. You never know ...

Jameel - 3-12-2008 at 04:14 PM

Looking good Jim.

Again, cool pegbox!

And what a nice shop. ;)

paulO - 3-13-2008 at 09:33 AM

Way to go man...looks very elegant, can't wait to see a pic that shows off more of the grain in the back -- coffee cup is also cool.

Regards..Paul

carpenter - 3-13-2008 at 10:12 AM

Okay, but it's pretty plain (just the way I like it).Here's the last coat of finish. I like the subtle light/dark rib action; I number-ordered the ribs as I cut them, laid them up the way they came off the stick. That probably helped.

Once the finish hardens, I'll get in there with a little buffing/polishing compound.

paulO - 3-13-2008 at 03:22 PM

Thanks Jim, really lovely. The depth is amazing, and the light/dark shading really "makes it".

Regards..Paul

mavrothis - 3-13-2008 at 07:18 PM

Gorgeous work, thanks for sharing your progress. I really like your style.

:)

mavrothis

OudandTabla - 3-13-2008 at 09:46 PM

Wow, it's come a long way from the neck & pegbox I saw this summer... beautiful work! I can't wait to hear it. Can I play it once yer done??

-Josh

carpenter - 3-14-2008 at 06:38 AM

Thanks Paul, and Mavrothis - I'm in line for one of those CDs.

Josh - sure; I'll call you.

Meanwhile, here's the top so far. Red cedar, with mahogany bridge and rose, maple/mahogany/maple purfling, maple edging, mahogany beard with maple outline, birdseye maple veneer pickguard, ebony fingerboard. Bone nut in progress.

Ararat66 - 3-14-2008 at 07:11 AM

Hi Carpenter

I looked on your website - I love your illustrations and other work. This oud is beautiful, simplicity is the most difficult thing to carry off and comes from the heart.

Leon:D

Melbourne - 3-14-2008 at 07:34 AM

Is that raqma glued the right way up? :D.

Sorry I couldnt help it. It is looking very beautiful carpenter. I dunno if anyone has ever thought of this, but I wonder if there is any advantage in the hollow pegbox design and the cancelling out of any extran vibrations that would would normally get from the nut backwards in a traditional pegbox design - sometimes you get all sorts of interesting buzzing and vibrations up there. Love the finish on the bowl too.

mavrothis - 3-14-2008 at 08:26 AM

Very cool...modern and traditional at the same time...

:)

mavrothis

carpenter - 3-15-2008 at 11:42 AM

Woo-hoo! Nut and strings! My friend Josh, oud instructor and ace picker, says he'll make me an MP3 for a sound sample (for a change). Next week sometime, after the strings stretch out a wee bit more. So far, so nice, tho'!

Savarez nylon and wound-on-nylon: .025", .033", .o22"w, .029"w, .034"w, .040"w, bone nut. Many thanks, Jameel!

Peyman - 3-15-2008 at 11:57 AM

Wow. Nicely done. I dig those pegs. Makes me want to learn to turn. Did you think about chip carving the sides on the peg box? To perhaps match the back.

carpenter - 3-15-2008 at 12:29 PM

Go for it! Turning's very cool, and you can get the shape you want. I wouldn't say it's necessarily "easy," but it's definitely worth the time and attention investment. (I barely get by technically, and the results are fine by me.) Initial $ tooling can be fairly minimal. Again, go for it! You might be one of those like-a-duck-to-water turners. Call me when you're selling peg sets!

<< Did you think about chip carving the sides on the peg box? To perhaps match the back. >>

Actually, I did; I drew up some decorative/related Arab/Celtoid stuff, but luckily cooler heads prevailed. (At some point, enough's enough.) Those pegbox cheeks are now about as thin as I'd like to make them, right on the edge of blowing up; but the peg grab/spin remains good. Maybe a little more wood there next time would be good, then I could have some thickness leeway for carving.

As it is, it's nice and simple - any simpler and it's be Shaker-style (if the Shakers built ouds ...)! Plus - is it within the bounds of Ideal Oud-ness? I sure don't know ... but I like it a lot so far.

It's sounding mighty good, by the way, for a rookie's day-old baby. I expect Reasonably Great Things with a generous application of Time and Attention ... The Key To The Universe.

Peyman - 3-17-2008 at 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by carpenter
Initial $ tooling can be fairly minimal.

I found this from instructables. I already have a drill press and might give it a try, even though it seems awkward to use.
Anyway, can't wait to hear this oud. :buttrock:

carpenter - 3-17-2008 at 07:53 AM

I can't wait either; I'm waiting to hear about making that sound sample. The open strings and what simple stuff I'm capable of sound pretty good to me. The #3 course clangs a wee bit when I really dig in, so I don't do that ... it's probably my crappy technique anyway. I'll see what the real players around here think.

Here's the finished oud - open string length 60.5/24 7/8"; weight 859 g/1 lb 14 1/8 oz; string clearance at nut 1mm, at fingerboard/body joint 3mm; outside string width at nut 34.5/1.36"; at bridge 76.75/3.02". For you stats/measurement folks.

Not that bad. I wish it were perfect, but then there'd be nothing to shoot for next time.

carpenter - 3-17-2008 at 07:54 AM

And the back.

SamirCanada - 3-17-2008 at 08:06 AM

I like it A LOT
its a such a beauty.

OudandTabla - 3-17-2008 at 07:34 PM

WOW-

WOW!

sound at last

carpenter - 3-19-2008 at 03:09 PM

I sound pretty good, huh! (I wish ...) That's friend/oud teacher/bon vivant Josh Humphrey pickin' and grinnin'.

Thanks a million, Josh.

carpenter - 3-19-2008 at 03:10 PM

... and here he is at work in our plush recording suite.

carpenter - 3-19-2008 at 03:32 PM

One more. I could listen for hours (as long as it's not me playing ...).

Microber - 3-20-2008 at 09:38 AM

Very nice Carpenter !

Could you post a closer picture of the rosette.
The sound is beautiful.
:applause:

carpenter - 3-20-2008 at 10:10 AM

Thanks. There's a pretty good picture on p.1, without the strings in the way.

I'd take a larger one, but with strings - let me know.

Peyman - 3-20-2008 at 11:15 AM

Sounds awsome for a new oud. Congratulations!

carpenter - 3-20-2008 at 11:26 AM

Thanks, and I sure like it! Chock-full of potential.

By the way, how's the turning coming?

And here's that big rose pic - I guess the strings aren't that distracting.

Microber - 3-20-2008 at 12:36 PM

Thanks for the picture Carpenter.
Very very nice.
Now i remember the first pictures.

Peyman - 3-21-2008 at 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by carpenter
By the way, how's the turning coming?

I'd like to make an oud first. Turning the pegs will be the icing on the cake. I am going to keep an eye out for small lathes.

Jameel - 3-22-2008 at 05:49 PM

Nice sound Jim!

charlie oud - 3-23-2008 at 10:58 AM

Nice oud, nice sound, well done !

jdowning - 3-23-2008 at 12:09 PM

Nicely done Jim.
Could you post some details about the (digital?) recording gear and set up that was used to record the audio files?
Thanks

carpenter - 3-23-2008 at 06:42 PM

I'll ask Josh to post the details; it's his setup. I thought it sure sounded good.

OudandTabla - 3-23-2008 at 10:15 PM

For the digital recording (good ears) I used a Firebox D/A Converter, and the included Cubase software (similar to ProTools) which I used to master it. I used a single AKG condenser mic about 18" away from the Oud, and no processing other than fading in and out. Then, I used iTunes to convert the AIFF files to mp3, encoded at 96 kbps to make them under 1mb (I usually encode at 320 or higher).

jdowning - 3-24-2008 at 05:59 AM

Thanks Josh