Mike's Oud Forums

People's opinion of hard cases?

Woodlandjustin - 11-30-2007 at 04:31 PM

Hi guys
What do people think about hard cases for their ouds? How necessary is it? What occasions would you use a hard case on? I guess traveling in your car, or on an airplane, you'd just use a soft case right? (Carry on). When is it that you need a hard case?

Also, what are people's opinions of the oud-shaped hard cases Sukar makes?
http://www.oudsukar.com/en/products_accesories_en.php#

I ask because those normal kind of hard cases look so big! And so heavy! This Sukar one is at least oud-shaped in all 3 dimensions, not just 2, so saves a lot of space. And I guess it must be a lot lighter too. If you think a hard case IS a necessity, then does this Sukar case meet the requirements of that necessity?

Thank you!
Justin

P.S. There seem to be 2 cases on his page. Anyone know the difference between the two?

pauldata - 11-30-2007 at 05:47 PM

I would not have dreamed of having my Sandi oud shipped to USA from Turkey without a hard shell case. I much prefer the fiberglass, form fitting ones to the heavier, bulkier wood ones. I also like the nylon gigbag type cases, and might buy one at some point as well...

SamirCanada - 11-30-2007 at 08:22 PM

They keep children from getting into them and drunk friends from tripping over your oud and breaking it.
I think they are more usefull then a cheap gig bag. The only nice gig bag that is absolutely worth owning is Jameel's http://www.khalafoud.com
other wise I use my Sukar cases for any kind of ouds where I know there might be some rough handeling like the car etc...

Woodlandjustin - 11-30-2007 at 08:43 PM

Hi Paul and Samir
Sounds like you are both going for those Sukar cases then. On his page I linked to, there seem to be 2 different cases, but absolutely no etails about them! Do you know the difference, or which you prefer?
Thanks
Justin

journeyman - 11-30-2007 at 10:15 PM

The Sukar cases are OK for carrying the oud around in or shipping an oud in if it is also in a sturdy box with padding, but I certainly wouldn't check the oud on an airplane for example. The latches are crap and the two that I bought both had broken, cheap latches. Last year I contacted Calton Cases in Alberta. Now THEY build cases, but for guitar. They are heavy but very safe. When you order one for your guitar you have to send them a long list of measurements from your instrument. I asked them about oud cases and they said that it is very expensive to "tool up" and the expected numbers of sales didn't warrant going ahead. They also said that their profit margin on a case is not very high. A guitar case now costs around $600. Too bad because I know that if I had a Ghadban or a Nahat or something like that I would certainly spend the money on a case. Here is what an airline can do to any oud. This was someone's Nahat.

Woodlandjustin - 11-30-2007 at 11:44 PM

Wow, that is a sad sight. Any details on what it was packed in? Hard case? Soft case? etc?

MatthewW - 12-1-2007 at 02:26 AM

hard cases are useful if you are out with your oud and then find yourself caught up in a stampeding herd of wild chickens. :) I think it is always useful to have one at hand when you need that extra bit of protection.

zalzal - 12-1-2007 at 02:41 AM

I am breathless looking at the crime committed against someone's nahat.....it makes me think of the 2 sitars belonging to Ravi Shankar that air france broke last year while careless handling at Paris. Ravi Shankar was so disappointed that he declared he felt like having lost two relatives.

Arto - 12-1-2007 at 05:06 AM

I have a Haluk beginner oud with a hard case and gigbag. I never use the gigbag, hard case is easier to handle and feels safer, and I especially appreciate that it is able to stand upright by itself (why they don´t make mandolin cases like that?). This is handy, and my dear wife doesn´t appreciate instruments cases filling chairs, books shelf tops etc....

I definitely would not check my oud in aeroplane in that case, though. It is pretty flimsy and of lower quality than the oud. When I got it, it was shipped inside a strong plywood box, and that is the only safe alternative.

Arto

Kyvelos Oud Case

Butrous - 12-2-2007 at 11:02 AM

I do not know if Peter Kyvelos still makes his fiberglass oud cases, if he does, they should be the best fiberglass cases made in North America.

I bought one from him about 15 years ago. The cases are very sturdy with solid latches.

The Ibrahim Suker cases are very good. They are much cheaper the Peter's cases but the latches are light weight and bend and break easily. The next time someone visits Ibrahim in Aleppo they should take him a big bag of solid latches and another big bag of ebony violin pegs. Both are difficult for him to import.

The turkish fiberglass cases are probably the lightest in weight. The top and bottom have to be negotiated into place. The latches are good but 2 of the latches are leather strips that button down. They are more expensive in North America than the Suker case but less expensive than the Kyvelos.

The Kyvelos are solid as a rock. My Arabic oud fits easily but you need to check the measurements to make sure your Arabic oud will fit his case.

The next case/bag I buy will be a Jameel Abraham design. I have heard so many good things about them on this site. They should be able to fit into the overhead bin in a medium sized commercial aircraft.

My rule is, keep your oud close to your heart, whether you are walking down the street, traveling in a car or airplane. Unfortunately we live a world where compromises are the norm.

Woodlandjustin - 12-2-2007 at 04:39 PM

Hi Butrous
Thanks for your post. I just searched Jameel Abraham's website, and I couldn't find any reference to the case, nor pictures nor price. Do you have any info or a link?

And same for Kyvelos.

And when you say about the Turkish fiberglass cases, do you have any specific info or a link about them? Are you saying you think they are better than the Sukar cases? I get that you say the latches are better, but what about the case itself? (E.g. in terms of stregth, ability to protect the oud).

Links, costs, photos much appreciated. Sounds very promising!
Thank you!
Justin

P.S. If we get this thread really sorted, perhaps it would be nice to add to the F.A.Q. section? I would think it would be relevant for so many new oudists. (I have no idea how to do that, so just I am suggesting).

Oud Case

Butrous - 12-2-2007 at 07:03 PM

Peter Kyvelos' phone number in Massachuetts is: 617-489-1254

He does not have a website to my knowledge.

You should be able to find a turkish case at: tulumba.com

The turkish cases are better made and have better latches than Suker's cases.

Jameel Abraham is a frequent visitor to this site and has previously posted information on his case. Go to the search engine on the upper left side of this website and search his name. Try is first name first, if you do not find it another member might post a link on this thread.

Woodlandjustin - 12-2-2007 at 10:29 PM

Hi Butrous
I have just been searching about that "Turkish case" from tulumba. It sounds like it might only fit Turkish ouds? I don't have an oud yet, but actually I am now considering one from Nazih Ghadban. Am I right in thinking his ouds would not fit in this case? Then also, do you know about the Sukar case, would Nazih's ouds fit in that? It really sounds like these oud-shaped hard cases are the way to go, rather than the oud-shaped-only-in-2-dimensions hard cases. Any more suggestions welcomed! (By the way I am in Asia so probably not worth me buying a case from the U.S.)
Justin

Mike - 12-2-2007 at 11:14 PM

I kinda nixed the idea of a FAQ thread. People just keep asking the same questions anyway. All we'd have when somebody asks a question is a reply saying go check the FAQ thread. Using the search tool provided in the forums is very useful anyway.

adamgood - 12-3-2007 at 02:33 AM

Mike, why not have a separate page devoted to a FAQ, rather than try to make it a thread (pain in the butt). There could be a link at the top next to "Stats."

Just a thought and sorry to be off topic and I'm sure it's really fun getting suggestions from people that end up making more work for you haha.

If you want I can help with the coding?

best,
Adam

Amos - 12-3-2007 at 04:13 AM

i have two hardcases by Peter Kyvelos and they are by far the best that i have encountered. i keep my Kyvelos oud in one of them and my shehata in the other...they are lightweight but rock solid. both of these cases belonged to my late teacher Al and have seen years of use but are still very sturdy. its worth giving him a call at his shop to ask about them...
amos

Benjamin - 12-3-2007 at 05:15 AM

Hi Justin,
I have a Sukar hard case, which is somehow heavy but is ok, and indeed even if the latches are not that good the case is able to protect the oud quite efficiently in the daily life. I live in Israel where people are always impatient for everything, and when you have to queue somewhere or in places where you have lots of people (especially crowded israeli buses) people always push you from every directions, and without an hard case my oud would be already damage. When I only used soft case people where just bumping into my oud without giving a <b>shoot</b>, but now they try to avoid it not to get injured:D
So it just worth investing in a hard case I can swear you..
I guess it depends as well on your oud but I can recommend you Sukar cases which are not too expensive and of good quality. But of course NEVER let your oud in the bottom of the plane, only take it with you.

Jameel - 12-3-2007 at 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Woodlandjustin
Hi Butrous
Thanks for your post. I just searched Jameel Abraham's website, and I couldn't find any reference to the case, nor pictures nor price. Do you have any info or a link?

http://www.khalafoud.com

Benjamin - 12-3-2007 at 05:18 AM

PS: on sukar's site the model 93 is for electric oud and the model 94 is for regular oud

Woodlandjustin - 12-3-2007 at 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jameel
Quote:
Originally posted by Woodlandjustin
Hi Butrous

http://www.khalafoud.com

Ah, sorry! I did a google search for your name, but now I realize, the hit I got was actually for Faruk Türünz's website! I hadn't realized!
So thanks for your link. Unfortunately it was hard cases I was looking for.

Woodlandjustin - 12-3-2007 at 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Benjamin
PS: on sukar's site the model 93 is for electric oud and the model 94 is for regular oud

Ah, mystery solved! So do you know if it will fit a Ghadban? Or anyone ever fit one into one of those "Turkish case" from tulumba?

I did email both addresses on Sukar's contact page a few days ago, asking for details (can't find any at all on his site) but no answer so far.

Justin

Benjamin - 12-3-2007 at 10:32 PM

Justin the sukar oud case is quite big, so that it can suit to Sukar's ouds.. But I don't know if it can fit a Ghadban or not, as the Ghadban shape could be different. So maybe you should ask somebody who own a Ghadban on this forum
Benjamin

Woodlandjustin - 12-4-2007 at 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Benjamin
Justin the sukar oud case is quite big, so that it can suit to Sukar's ouds.. But I don't know if it can fit a Ghadban or not, as the Ghadban shape could be different. So maybe you should ask somebody who own a Ghadban on this forum
Benjamin

Well, I'm hoping whoever might know will answer here. Thanks.

MatthewW - 12-4-2007 at 06:47 AM

If you buy one from Nazih, ask him about his oud shape fiber hard cases. He was selling them last time I spoke with him. This way he can ship your oud in a case. A photo is attached.

Woodlandjustin - 12-4-2007 at 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MatthewW
If you buy one from Nazih, ask him about his oud shape fiber hard cases. He was selling them last time I spoke with him. This way he can ship your oud in a case. A photo is attached.

Oh, I didn't realize he had them too! How do they compare to the Sukar ones, i.e. price, weight, strength?

Jason - 12-4-2007 at 09:11 AM

Click on 'oud care' on nazih's site for some info about the case. From what I've been told they are very nice. The person that originally sold my oud kept the case so I don't have one. I think I remember Nazih quoting me a price of around $350 to get a case shipped to the USA. That was before the dollar dropped in value though.

Maurice Shehata also makes cases that may be worth checking out. I'd suggest asking Mike to contact him, I haven't had luck emailing him in English about cases.

Woodlandjustin - 12-8-2007 at 04:29 PM

Then, if one had one of these fiberglass hard cases, would there be any need for a soft case? I am not sure I can afford both! But I am anyway thinking, perhaps the oud-shaped fiberglass case makes the soft case redundant?
What do you think?:bounce:
Thank!
Justin

Jameel - 12-8-2007 at 04:39 PM

Justin,

Watch out for some of the shaped fiberglass cases. All the ones I've seen (a few, not a lot) are not well finished on the inside, with protruding screws from the hinges and hardware. I've seen damaged ouds from these cases. If you go with one of these, you might want to consider retrofitting the inside with some extra padding for a good fit. It's also a bit of a challenge to get an oud in and out of these easily. Kind of like playing "Operation" (the old kids game). I had one once, and could never get the oud in or out without bumping pegs or the bowl on the sharp fiberglass edge. I keep my ouds at home in a Shehata hard case (very heavy---you would not want to carry it anywhere--but tough thick plywood) and when I take the oud out I use one of my soft cases. I travel with the soft case too. Simon Shaheen travels all around the world with his oud in a leather soft case that is very similar to mine. Good luck with whatever you do.

paulO - 12-8-2007 at 11:26 PM

The first case I ever had was a fiberglass case from Pete Kyvelos, it's lasted for years -- just needs some new latches. The top detaches completely, which is great. I really don't like the hinged cases. I have a couple of Kyvelos hinged ABS plastic cases -- well made and all that, but they are a hassle to get the oud in and out of...got em after the 1989 Loma Prieta Quake - wanted a case for every oud. I also got a fiberglass case from John Bilezikjian, a couple of years ago -- it's also got the detachable lid, but has the same "sharp" edges, which make using it kind of a drag. When I took my oud to Florida, it traveled in a soft case that a friend of mine made for me..so unless your trying to save your collection from Quake damage...the soft cases are fine !! Take care.

Regards..Paul

Woodlandjustin - 12-9-2007 at 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jameel
Justin,

Watch out for some of the shaped fiberglass cases. All the ones I've seen (a few, not a lot) are not well finished on the inside, with protruding screws from the hinges and hardware. I've seen damaged ouds from these cases. If you go with one of these, you might want to consider retrofitting the inside with some extra padding for a good fit. It's also a bit of a challenge to get an oud in and out of these easily. Kind of like playing "Operation" (the old kids game). I had one once, and could never get the oud in or out without bumping pegs or the bowl on the sharp fiberglass edge. I keep my ouds at home in a Shehata hard case (very heavy---you would not want to carry it anywhere--but tough thick plywood) and when I take the oud out I use one of my soft cases. I travel with the soft case too. Simon Shaheen travels all around the world with his oud in a leather soft case that is very similar to mine. Good luck with whatever you do.

Hi Jameel
Thank you very much for your advice. If I do buy the fiberglass case, I shall try to take care and perhaps to modify it. Also, certainly I shall keep in mind your soft case. It sounds like it must be very good! Unfortunately, I cannot afford an oud and your soft case now! I could buy your case, but no oud:(
So, perhaps one day! For now I try to afford an oud.
Thanks all!
Justin

sidjones - 1-3-2008 at 04:03 PM

Hi Justin:

I have a hard case by Peter Kyvelos. I wouldn't dream of placing an oud in transit with anything less. I use it for all my gigs, and that's where I keep my 1905 Manol. If you can get one, that's the way that you should go. Regards,

Sid

Greciandelight - 1-8-2008 at 03:04 PM

Hi I have a Oud case by Peter Kyvelos, it is very well made, very sturdy, his cases are in my opinion the best hard cases that are on the market, for the money they cannot be beat. his number is 1-617-489-1254. Enjoy -Giovanni