Mike's Oud Forums

Faruk Turunz New Duble Sound Bord

Jassim - 12-29-2007 at 01:16 AM

This is the New Technique Oud (Double Soundboard) made by Faruk Türünz. I haven't seen or heard any oud just like this one in my life. It has very gentle and great sound.

Jassim - 12-29-2007 at 01:21 AM

and this is a recording for that oud by me

Jassim - 12-29-2007 at 01:26 AM

new pic

maker - 12-29-2007 at 02:08 AM

very good sound and oud

maker - 12-29-2007 at 02:16 AM

Professor Farouk You maker distinct
and my Brother Jassim excellent player

Jassim - 12-29-2007 at 02:34 AM

thanks mr maker
mr faroq he is the best oud maker in the world

Greg - 12-29-2007 at 03:58 AM

Jassim,

Thank you for sharing your fine playng and the sound of your new Faruk Türünz oud.
Would it be possible to post a sound clip of the instrument without reverb?
As this is the first time we have heard this new model from Mr Türünz, I feel sure many forum members would like to hear it in its natural state.

Regards,

Greg

Jassim - 12-29-2007 at 04:04 AM

dear mr greg
this record without any reverb the oud has a great ehco and powerfull sound
its the natural sound of the oud
best regards
Jassim alarroug

abusin - 12-29-2007 at 04:20 AM

Salam Alaikum Mr. Alarroug,

This is an awesome oud by Mr Turunz God bless his creative hands, alf Mbrouk buddy play it in good health. the sound is fantastic I love the sustain and tone clarity I am speechless :bowdown:

best regards and Eid wishes,

Awad

Jameel - 12-29-2007 at 06:15 AM

Gorgeous oud.

And the sound? Hard to beat a good sandwich...;) It really shines on the lower end.

I can't wait to make another sandwich top...

farukturunz - 12-29-2007 at 07:31 AM

Yeah Jameel,

You are the pioneer of this technique in the oud construction and the master who gave the inspiration to me for this project. Thank you once more.

Best regards

Ronny Andersson - 12-29-2007 at 09:14 AM

Dear Faruk, what a fantastic tone... why did you choose Canadian cedar? Will you also use spruce? It was long time ago I heard something that stands out like this in tone...

farukturunz - 12-29-2007 at 11:26 AM

Amendment:

Dear Rony,

I have always avoided using Canadian Cedar so far since the beginning of my career basicly for two reasons:

Firstly, I wanted to depend only to the accuracy of my brace tuning method and seconly I was determined not to seek for any help from some widely proved tone wood like cedar in order to achieve a good sound.

I must confess that I hardly and recently accepted myself as someone who does not need to compete with self and no need to challange myself. Now and on I feel free for using all the means including some hitech materials like NOMEX and any kind of wood which I believe that will help me to make better instruments.

Kind regards

Greg - 12-29-2007 at 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jassim
dear mr greg
this record without any reverb the oud has a great ehco and powerfull sound
its the natural sound of the oud
best regards
Jassim alarroug

Thank you Mr Alarroug. That is an amazing amount of sustain and reverberation, considering it is coming only from the instrument. Thank you again for the clarification and for your beautiful playing.

Faruk, this is a fabulous sounding (and looking) instrument. Congratulations.

Regards,

Greg

oudipoet - 12-29-2007 at 06:02 PM

dear faruk turunz usta
first of all my best regards and congrets to you
you ve out done yourself that s a gorgoues oud and i am sure u ll keep developing new designs and new oud making systems for future generations and for that i would like to thank you.

secondly
i sure hope soon enough you will have a Video Recording Session with master Yurdal Tokcan i can not wait to hear and see him play this gorgeous instrument.

and last but not least our fellow oud junkie and master/friend jameel thanks to you for having this great idea and bringing it to life and share it with everybody.

Mike - 12-29-2007 at 06:52 PM

Another beautiful oud with lots of character and lovely sound by Usta Faruk. Congrats to you Jassim!

dubai244 - 12-29-2007 at 09:35 PM

Salam Mr.Faruk Tunrunz, Jassim,

What a great hands makes a such great oud, God bless them and save them. Very beatifull, winderfull, great oud. I am so addict to your ouds, Mr.Faruk. Any other oud doesn't make me "high" like your oud.

Jassim, Allf Mabrook, Winderfull oud with beatifull, deep, warm, Echo-y sound. Very nice. Great Playing.

Best Regards,
Jassim

mavrothis - 12-30-2007 at 05:56 AM

Congratulations! This oud truly has an incredible sound, and is beautiful in every respect.

Health to your hands, and to Mr. Turunz and his workshop for making this great line of instruments. I think it's really beautiful to see how an idea that started in the guitar world has been shared in such a friendly way in our oud community.

Take care,

mavrothis

Oud Freak - 12-30-2007 at 05:56 AM

Well Jassim, great playing, distinguished!

Now, another practical issue that maybe the luthiers can answer to. If (God forbid) something happens to this oud or even if it needs a minor repair of the soundboard, how can this be done with the presence of the "sandwich"? Is the repair of such a soundboard possible, or it has to be fully replaced?

Regards,

MatthewW - 12-30-2007 at 07:39 AM

Jassim- very amazing sound, as if you actually had reverb on the recording! I can see why Greg asked his question! It will be interesting to hear what this oud sounds like in another 6 months, after being 'played in' some. may this oud bring you much happiness.
Faruk comments that he didn't use Canadian cedar in the top, and also says that he didn't want to use any proven tone wood like cedar. what wood is the top made of and also the bowl? thanks.

Jassim - 1-1-2008 at 04:27 AM

here is anew recored for faruk turunz oud
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhof9vjzHq4

JT - 1-1-2008 at 05:53 AM

Congratulations Jassim!

Welcome to the Turunz oud family...

An amazing person Oustaz Faruk is and thats why he produces such masterpieces.

Also that is really beauitful playing my friend, I really really enjoyed it, a beautiful gentle tone with a:applause: nice technique, congrats on all fronts.

All the best for the new year,

JT

Woodlandjustin - 1-1-2008 at 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jassim
here is anew recored for faruk turunz oud
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhof9vjzHq4

Is that usual oud music? (I am totally new to oud!) It sounds to me very much like guitar music.
Thanks
Justin

Oud Freak - 1-2-2008 at 03:51 AM

Wooladjusting, well, no not usual at all. I would consider it as flamenco moods, played in a turkish way. Really GORGEOUS playing.

Jassim your hands deserve to be kissed for this beautiful playing. Sallem diyyatak!

Can I ask what kind of string brand is used here?

Regards

Jassim - 1-2-2008 at 06:18 AM

its kureshner strings my freind

Jassim - 1-3-2008 at 06:25 AM

this is a new record too
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA7BCh7vwVg&feature=related

Zulkarnain - 1-4-2008 at 03:03 AM

great oud you got there jassim

Oud Freak - 1-4-2008 at 04:35 AM

I wish Mr. Turunz had replied the question in which I ask about the practical issue of the repair of the double soundboard.

Am anyways only asking for a short answer to my long question, since a luthier makes an instrument intended to be played by some instrument player, consequently the instrument player (the customer) has the right to get more detailed knowledge when he is interested.

Regards

Jassim - 1-8-2008 at 06:37 AM

Hi
this is new recored but on a grand concert oud
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g-htbLUOFg

Oudisist - 1-8-2008 at 07:11 AM

Amazing Ouds, and heart stopping taqsims

hamed - 1-9-2008 at 05:46 AM

Jassim, you are very fortunate to own both of these great instruments, i have never heard a oud with such clarity and even tone like Mr. Turunz's ouds. He is truly the oud master. Would you please mind telling me what woods were used to construct the bowl for these ouds?
Thank you
David Hamed

Jassim - 1-20-2008 at 02:25 AM

dear sir
what do you mean for bowl ??

Oud Freak - 1-20-2008 at 05:24 AM

Jassim, the bowl means el "tasseh" or "qas3a".

Jassim - 1-20-2008 at 07:04 AM

aha
its indian rose wood and carly maple

nayoud - 1-20-2008 at 05:18 PM

Mabrouk Jassim

awesome oud model from an awesome maker.
Hisham