Mike's Oud Forums

CFGCFBb - does anyone use this tuning?

nouphar - 2-1-2008 at 11:17 AM

My turkish oud has an excessive high action. With the aquilas it has, it's a pain to play on EABEAD. But I've found out that CFGCFBb provides a really better playability and still sounding very good. I am trying to play arabic music with this tuning. I can play (amateur level of course) the following maqamat, viz. Kurd, Nahawand, Rast, Hijaz, Bayati and Saba in C and F. Also Rast and Hijaz in Bb. Would this approach be correct for arabic music? Is there someone who use this tuning?

Cheers.

Brian Prunka - 2-1-2008 at 12:37 PM

You're a step down from common modern arabic tuning, but i've heard recordings where people tune this way . . . you would read rast in C, but it would sound Bb. You may have problems playing in an ensemble, but it basically should work. You might want to try the light tension aquilas or some other strings . . . generally you can't really tune a turkish oud this low with regular strings.

nouphar - 2-4-2008 at 09:44 AM

Brian thank you very much for your reply. This is a recording I've made, it's me just making some phrasing (maybe not making much sense).

F taksim