Mike's Oud Forums

hand made and non-hand made Oud

Oudism - 2-13-2008 at 01:45 PM

Hi to all,
Is it possible to know the difference between a hand and a non-hand made Oud? Oudmakers make the hand-made Oud and a machine does the non-hand made? is that's it?
Please explain
Thanks

Oudism - 2-13-2008 at 06:05 PM

wwwwwwooooowww....47 viewers and no one answer:(

Brian Prunka - 2-13-2008 at 06:44 PM

Hey Oudism,

I think that all ouds are basically hand made, the difference is mainly between made by a luthier and factory-made.
People like Faruk Turunz build each oud themselves (maybe with the help of an apprentice or two), while others have factories where each oud has been worked on by many different people doing specific jobs (e.g., one person makes the soundboard, one does the braces, etc). Gahwaret al Fan makes factory ouds (some of which end up being pretty good).

I'm not sure of the details of how various factories work, but that's the general idea.
There aren't any machine-made ouds as far as i know (at least in the sense that there are machine-made guitars and violins). Though people do use various machines for certain processes (sawing, planing etc.) obviously.

eliot - 2-13-2008 at 07:59 PM

Somehow I doubt those $69 ouds in Unkapani are hand-made in any way at all...

Jason - 2-13-2008 at 08:55 PM

You'd be surprised how cheap labor is in some parts of the world

jazzchiss - 2-14-2008 at 01:07 AM

You only have to look close to any oud to see that can't be made by machine.
Looking to the uneven strings I even wonder if rules are often used in the arab world. :D

farukturunz - 2-14-2008 at 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Prunka
People like Faruk Turunz build each oud themselves Though people do use various machines for certain processes (sawing, planing etc.) obviously.

As seen in this picture I am gluing the bridge onto the soundboard of a recently produced oud using my right hand :D by the help of a unique "Oud Bridge Gluing Clamp" designed and made by my partner Suat Çetincan:applause:

Oudism - 2-14-2008 at 03:43 AM

Thanks for your reply guys
When you ask an Oudmaker about his Ouds, he goes "all my ouds are handmade":d I thought there is a non-hand made Ouds. Next time when you plan to purchase a Oud, ask if it's a Onehandmade or a mutlihandmade Oud:D

Ronny Andersson - 2-14-2008 at 04:55 AM

Good one Faruk and indeed interesting tool!

katakofka - 2-14-2008 at 07:59 AM

Mr Faruk,
is that the same hand that wanted to kill me???? Thanks God, I saved myself:xtreme:

Mike - 2-14-2008 at 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by katakofka
Mr Faruk,
is that the same hand that wanted to kill me???? Thanks God, I saved myself:xtreme:

:)

farukturunz - 2-14-2008 at 09:51 AM

Quote:
Mr Faruk,

Come on Souheil Bey! If it had been the same hand -God forbid- probably you would not have posted that line despite how well you saved your self. It was my left hand which has been suffering from tendinitis for a while.:buttrock:

My left hand in a spilint

farukturunz - 2-14-2008 at 09:53 AM

farukturunz - 2-14-2008 at 10:02 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike

:)

:applause:

katakofka - 2-14-2008 at 11:49 AM

OUCHHHHHH...this is what we call getting lucky:avoiding Mr Faruk's right hand:xtreme:
Please take care of both hands, they're doing marvelous job for lot of people.
Cheers
Souheil

eliot - 2-14-2008 at 04:40 PM

Faruk Bey,
You could advertise truthfully that "all my ouds are made with my right hand exclusively," a claim perhaps no other oud maker could ever make!

farukturunz - 2-14-2008 at 09:40 PM

Now people (me too) seem to have finally found out that how nice joking about is... even if it is a practical joke:xtreme:

...BTW I apologize for the aggressiveness implied in this "practical joke" involuntarily;)
Souheil Bey, I would like my apology to be accepted chiefly by you though first you pulled my nose:xtreme:

katakofka - 2-14-2008 at 10:18 PM

:) We have a say in LB" la mhabba illa baad adaawa", which means, "the best freindship is after a fight". Now I agree there is another way for that, but I have chosen, unententionally, the hard one;). The next step would be to convince you, and seeing those hands of yours doing the best floating bridge Oud.:airguitar:

farukturunz - 2-15-2008 at 03:21 AM

Quote:
The next step would be to convince you, and seeing those hands of yours doing the best floating bridge Oud.:airguitar:

Not totally convinced though:bounce:

Jassim - 2-15-2008 at 03:42 AM

waaw very nice mr faruk
but is it with three hols or one?

farukturunz - 2-15-2008 at 04:00 AM

Hi my friend!
It has only one hole ...but large enough;)

JamesOud - 2-15-2008 at 04:01 AM

Didnt Nasseer Shamma invent making a oud with one hand, if not he should claim it pretty quick...:applause:

Jassim - 2-15-2008 at 04:03 AM

very good mr faruk im waiting to here his sound :)

katakofka - 2-15-2008 at 04:05 AM

Great !!!
Would you explain the difference as compared to other floating brigde Oud? Beside the fact that special hands are behind it :)

katakofka - 6-13-2008 at 06:31 AM

Usta Faruk
You were in the process of builing a floaitng bridge oud. What happened to that Oud and what can you tell about your experience with the floating bridge Oud?