Mike's Oud Forums

Nylgut update....

Jameel - 4-23-2004 at 05:22 AM

Anyone using the new Nylgut set from Aquila?

If so, what are your impressions?

billkilpatrick - 4-23-2004 at 07:14 AM

they're getting better and better - a smooth, fully balanced tone from treble to bass. very responsive, more substantial and i think they'll last far longer than the set from d'addario.

they just feel better.

jameel, do you have any experience with gut strings - or know anyone who uses them on their oud?

- bill

Aquila nylgut strings

Haluk - 4-23-2004 at 09:56 AM

Hello Bill,

I have used Aquila strings on Stephan Norumba's oud-1,which I produced for him.He was sent these strings from US for his oud.The result was excellent.Now,I'll distribute the Aquila nylgut strings,for Arabic and Turkish ouds as the agreement by the producer.

Regards all.

spyros mesogeia - 4-23-2004 at 11:06 AM

I can say that they are very good.....the progress is high.....I personally will use them ,and I recomand them to all of you...

Best regards

Spyros

journeyman - 4-23-2004 at 11:58 AM

Hi everyone,
Does anyone know where I can get the Nylgut strings in Canada? I live in Toronto.

Cheers,
Roy

aquila - 4-23-2004 at 12:38 PM

hello Roy,
you can find nylguts at US distributor:
http://www.aquilausa.com
Out USA:
http://www.aquilacorde.com
(coming soon Turkey. Greek selling places)
Mimmo

chuckerbutty - 4-23-2004 at 12:51 PM

Hi Mimmo

Are they available in Britain as well, and if so, where?

By the way, I've been using nylgut strings on my two lutes for about 6 years, and they are absolutely amazing. I couldn't go back to using nylon.

Jameel - 4-23-2004 at 02:09 PM

Thanks all.

One more question. Are the nylgut sets including the wound strings too? or just the unwound?

aquila - 4-23-2004 at 02:30 PM

Unfortunately they are not in Britain.
Hello Jameel
Happy to ear by you.
The oud sets (both turkish or arabic tunings) are made of 1st & 2nd in plain nylguts, 3th, 4th, 5th, 6th are wound strings; i.e. silvered coppr wires on nylgut multifilament (note: not the common nylon multifilament).
Ciao
Mimmo

Jameel - 4-23-2004 at 03:01 PM

Thanks, Mimmo.

I've contacted aquilausa and am waiting for a reply...