Mike's Oud Forums

Rahim Alhaj's tuning

francis - 6-16-2008 at 04:12 AM

Bonjour!
I just received Rahim Alhaj cd's "Second Baghdad".
I like it a lot , at first listening...remind the Baschir feelings, sometime closed to andalus and flamenca music.....The high notes playing, with many harmonics is wonderfull....
I don't practise oud for a long time, so I'm not able to understand the way his oud is tuned. It seems to have a C and a g chord in the medium, a G chord bass, a high c.
I think I don't hear a bass extra C under the high c, prehaps there is an extra high chord ( f, g ? ).
I'm sure to find here someone able to tell me how it's tuned!
Thanks
Francis

arsene - 6-16-2008 at 07:19 AM

I'm not 100% sure, but i think he tunes 1 semitone above iraqi tuning...

arsene - 6-16-2008 at 07:41 AM

listening to it again, I think he also uses FADGCF... but again, maybe someone could give a second opinion :)

charlie oud - 6-16-2008 at 10:30 AM

On "when the soul is settled" he tunes a semitone higher you can put a capo on first position to study. The open tuning is F C d g c f. Hope this helps, Ive just ordered the cd you mention, & will see if I can work it out. C

cjmichael - 6-16-2008 at 07:47 PM

Somebody from this forum (maybe Marina?) once E-mailed him and asked him for his tuning. I can't find the topic where his reply was posted, but perhaps somebody else has it at hand.

Greg - 6-16-2008 at 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cjmichael
Somebody from this forum (maybe Marina?) once E-mailed him and asked him for his tuning. I can't find the topic where his reply was posted, but perhaps somebody else has it at hand.

http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=6382&pa...

francis - 6-19-2008 at 05:26 AM

Thanks for your helpfull answers, everyone!