Mike's Oud Forums

Futuristic ouds...?

nadir - 4-25-2004 at 08:56 AM

I was wondering if you guys ever looked at Ovation guitars? The back of all Ovation guitars are domed, kind of like the oud actually and they are also only used in romance songs... kind of like the oud! The logo for this guitar is actually a profile of an Ovation guitar that ends up looking like an oud... **gasp!** Could this be the result of a cross-breeded oud?! Could this be the future?

Oud guitar

spyrosc - 4-25-2004 at 12:12 PM

This is not the first or only case. There is a Greek instrument maker in New York that combines ouds and guitars and makes some very beautiful instruments.

Check it out. He also repairs ouds in New York.

http://www.diodinos.com/

Spyros C.

chuckerbutty - 4-25-2004 at 01:17 PM

I noticed that Sandi is now offering an oud with a guitar neck and also an oud with machine heads. His website seems to have gone down, but check it out when it's back up and see what you think.

Zulkarnain - 4-25-2004 at 03:08 PM

Ibrahim Sukar too.

nadir - 4-25-2004 at 06:12 PM

Ovation guitars actually look like guitars though, not an oud with a guitar neck on it...

Future oud passed

Rufi - 4-25-2004 at 11:06 PM

John Bilezikjian made an oud with a ovation style back in 1975 you can see it on his web site http://www.dantzrecords.com
The way I see it if you make to many "innovations" then you no longer have an oud.
I love to make changes on the ouds I make but I always have the same goal in mind,"to Make a great sounding and looking oud !!"
Truely Yours
Rufi

mahaprana - 4-26-2004 at 02:59 PM

The future? I certainly hope not!

Um...if you are going to blend an oud with something I don't think you are going to want to do it with an Ovation. The tone of those things is horrible. Ok, maybe they are good for playing amplified music, or better yet for rowing a boat with...but for a musician where tone is a primary consideration, they are pretty low on the food chain. Sorry, I'm just not a fan of plastic instruments.

nadir - 4-27-2004 at 04:59 AM

But that's why they're only a couple of hundred dollars ;).