Mike's Oud Forums

Where to get a Cumbus

Tkoind - 6-26-2008 at 09:16 PM

We are looking for a standard and maybe tambur or saz cumbus. Sadly every ebay or online seller we've found won"t ship to Japan.

Any recommendations for a cumbus seller who can ship to Japan?

Monty88 - 6-27-2008 at 03:26 AM

these guys sell them i think! look around on the website,
http://www.emmaz.net/
i found some, cumbus saz and cumbus guitars i think they have...

jaron - 6-27-2008 at 05:04 PM

lark in the Morning has them - no jeers, please - we're talking about a cumbus - i have one i play at parties and whatnot- can be loud enough on the high strings to keep up with amplified instruments if you push it - hard to tune - each string effects the tuning of the others - you need to approach it in a different spirit than oud- there isn't a lot of room for introspection - playing one is like becoming a neon sign

Tkoind - 6-29-2008 at 05:57 PM

Got lucky over the weekend and will pick up a used standard cumbus in Tokyo. Jaron, I'd love to hear how you are working around the tuning issue. I had heard they are tricky to tune.

Monty88 thanks for the tip about Emmaz. I would love to be able to buy instruments locally from them. But prices in Japan make it worth the time and energy to import them ourselves. Emmaz is often VERY expensive compared to bringing in the same quality level of instruments ourselves with shipping included. And they are frequently out of stock for most items we've inquired about.

I would love to see a competitively priced ethnic instruments supplier in Tokyo.