Mike's Oud Forums

writing tunes out on the PC

patheslip - 7-3-2008 at 02:21 PM

When I'm learning new tunes from a cd I like to write out at least the first few bars to help me practise.

Does anyone know a site which would help me use the PC for this. Pencil and paper is OK, but it can be messy when I make mistakes and it's hard to shuffle stuff around when I'm making up practice lists.

Any ideas anyone??:shrug:

katakofka - 7-3-2008 at 02:45 PM

I guess there are softwares that transform the tune into a Midi file, then the Midi file can be transcribed into notes. Sibelius might do it, or Finale sofwares.

peppeo77 - 7-4-2008 at 12:46 AM

You should try Finale notepad. the trial version in free. You can write down the notes, print them and listen the playback of the tunes you write. It's a little annoying in the beginning, but pretty useful when you get used to it.
Good luck, Giuseppe.

patheslip - 7-4-2008 at 05:26 AM

Thanks lads.

The Sibelius is splendid, but one can't save tunes. I suppose they want me to spend money.:)

I'm downloading the Finale notepad as I'm writing this. Let you know.

patheslip - 7-4-2008 at 11:08 AM

Finale notepad is the bees knees:cool:

thanks lads

katakofka - 7-4-2008 at 11:44 AM

were you able to make a Midi file with Finale?

patheslip - 7-4-2008 at 01:36 PM

I don't know, katakofka. All I wanted was a word processor for notes, so I could write out a few bars from a tune I was listening to and print them when I've got it down. I wouldn't know a Midi file if it did my toenails. Sorry.:shrug:

katakofka - 7-4-2008 at 02:24 PM

ooh, okay, I thought that you need to transform a tune from a CD into notes without doing any input yourself.