Mike's Oud Forums

Real string tension measurement

rojaros - 7-19-2008 at 01:15 AM

Hi there,

do you know that feeling that one string (or string pair) feels like having a different tension from the others in the set?

I was thinking of a method how to measure the real string tension and came up with this simple solution (see also the photograph):

I took a wooden bar (1m), a digital fischerman's scale (20 kg range) from ebay (1€ + shipping), a violing peg and a piece of an aluminium L-profile.

The string is bound to the scale and stopped with the profile to the desired open length (mensure) so the situation is similar to that of an oud or lute or guitar or whatever stringed instrument you use.

Thats basically it, but there are two imprtant issues:

- make sure the string is settled to the desired pitch (it doesnt change the pitch any more or only very little), because before that is the casethe tension for the pitch might be not the fina stationery tension.

- the working with the scale is also a little tricky: after calibration, when you measure, it goes quickly into the hold modus. I worked around that as follows:
1. put the L-profile to the desired string length
2.tune the string to the desired pitch and make sure it stays there
3. no start the scale. It does the self calibration (tara) and waits for measurement
4. release quickly the string tension (I do it by pulling the peg out - thats why a peg is so useful for this contrary to guitar tuning machines).

No you get the tension measurement as a negative number and you have plenty of time to read it and take notes.

hope that help some curious folkes like me...

best wishes

Maths and the oud

DaveH - 7-19-2008 at 11:07 AM

This got me thinking about long-lost maths and scrawling on notepads instead of the work I should be doing so I thought, just for fun, I'd chip in.

It should be possible to calculate the tension in situ too, without having to take the string off the oud. My school maths and physics are pretty rusty, but I'll give it a go. I know there are engineers and ex engineers on this forum too, so perhaps they can correct me or complete the mess I start.

Say the string has a length L.
1) find the centrepoint of the string by locating the octave harmonic.
2) use your fishing scale (newton metre) to pull the string sideways by a known amount, say 2cm - you can call this distance the deflection (d).
3) your newton metre will now register a force pulling the string back into line which you can call the restorative force (R)

This is where my maths gets shaky and the right answer is one of two options:

The easy way I suspect is wrong but I'm trying it anyway:

I think the force R divided by the string tension should be the same as the deflection (d) divided by half the string length. This is because they should both be equal to the tangent of the angle of deflection (you don't actually need to know this angle). The deflection distance and half the string length form the opposite and adjacent of a right angled triangle.

In other words, tan theta = 2d/L

Likewise, the restoring force (R) and the string tension at rest (T) form two components, at right-angles to each other, of a vector which is the deflected string tension. Again, tan theta = R/T. This is the bit I'm not so sure about, but it does seem to make sense.

So if R/T =2d/L then T=RL/2d

ie to get the string tension in newtons, multiply the deflection distance in cm by the restorative force in newtons, multiply this number by 2 and divide by the string length.

This seems a bit easy to be true, and I have a feeling it might be ignoring the effect of string elasticity on tension, in which case, option 2 is a lot more complicated and I can't work it out.

BUT, there should be a relationship between the resting tension of the string and the following four variables:

1. The frequency of the string at rest (or actually, the octave above the frequency, as you would be working with half the string length)
2. the frequency of the displaced (stretched) string (again, it will actually be the octave)
3. The string length (or half the string length)
4. The restorative force registered on the fishing scale as you pull the string sideways
5. The distance of sideways displacement of the string.

(The standard formula relating frequency (f) and string length is

f=1/2L.square root (T/mu)

where f is frequency, L is length, T is tension and mu is the mass per unit length of the string)

The formula will be quite complicated with quite a bit of trigonometry and logarithms and I'd love to try and work it out but I think it surpasses my abilities:(. However, once you have the formula, measuring string tension would be a piece of cake:cool::rolleyes:

DaveH - 7-19-2008 at 12:46 PM

Sorry, I forgot the restorative force should be twice what I said in the first equation above as both sides of the centre point of the string are pulling. So the equations should read:

2d/L=R/2T

Which means that

T=RL/4d

I think this might actually be correct. If it is it should be in a physics textbook somewhere. This would mean measuring string tension should actually be a very simple affair, requiring just a ruler and rojaros's fishing scale and no need to remove the string. This is actually useful for me because I was trying recently to work out what gauge strings I need on my lute but didn't have the current tensions. If this is correct, I can now measure them easily.

rojaros - 7-20-2008 at 03:31 AM

Hi DaveH, thanks for your response!

when I find time I can do an experimental comparison of your calculation with the experiment.

Fact is at least that the device I designed does measure the real longitudinal tension (i.e. along the string) as it would sit on the lute (oud) simulating the situation as close as it can be: one nut and the string tied with a knot.

So what you measure (as precise as the scale you use is) here is the tension you're looking for without relying on any theory that might be right or wrong...

As far as comfort is concerned you can do the measurement when you change the strings anyway - they are then really set into their proper tension.

My gut feeling says that your method of calculation can only be possibly correct as long as the string is in a regime of linear elasticity (that means Hooks law) which is difficult to tell for mqaterials like nylon or nylgut or even worse, gut. Where the string sounds good you might well be in a place where the elasticity of the string changes with the tension.

Now, wenn you pull the string sidwards you might change the elasticity (you certainly change the pitch and the tension, but that would be allright in linear case). Also you would have to make sure not to detune the string by pulling it - that's what you do when you want to lower the pitch a bit...

Anyway, thanks, and when I have some experimental results I'll let you know

best regards :applause:

rojaros - 7-20-2008 at 04:03 AM

Hi DaveH, I was so curious that I did the measurement and found for the string I used, tuned to the same pitch at the same length (61,5cm), that my method yields a measured tension of 3,34 kg

- versus a calculated 4,07 kg (measured with a deflection of 2 cm and a weight of 0,53 kg at the octave point)

So there is quite a large difference - to big to consider the second one to be accurate.

What are the weak points in the deflection measurement?
A. the strongest is probabely that one has to use a scale at the lowest end of its range
B. there are inaccuracies in reading the deflection and in finding the octave point (first harmonic isn't so sharpely localized on the string. So there are more length measurements involved, each adding some new inaccuracy.

One could consider to improve all the points at once in using the third harmonic point instead which is localized much more sharply on the string - and would require to use stronger force to achieve the same deflection. But of course the formula will be also more complicated, as you now cannot multply the deflection by two as was with the symmetric arrangement...

DaveH - 7-21-2008 at 01:51 AM

Oh well. At least I got to get in touch with my nerdy side a little.

I think the discrepancy is either because the scale isn't that accurate for low forces (don't know how big the fish you catch are!) or, as you mentioned before, the string isn't behaving completely elastically so the extra extension when you pull it sideways isn't producing a proportional restorative force (ie not obeying hook's law). OR my equation is completely screwy - as I say I'm not a physicist mathematician or an engineer.

There's an often quoted tuning adage with both lutes and, I think, ouds from the pre-tuning fork era. According to this, you tighten the string "until it's about to break". Personally, I would find it hard to tell this point until just after I'd reached it, which wouldn't be much use;). But I think the point being made, in modern materials science terms, is that the strings sound best when the elastic limit is being reached, which would back up the second possibility. Incidentally, with gut, there are two main types of chemical bonds in the collagen and elastin which account for its mechanical properties: hydrogen bonding, which is weaker, and disulphide bridges, which are very strong. There are therefore two phases to its extension, one where the hydrogen bonds are being stretched and a second where they're broken and the much stronger disulphide bridges kick in. This probably accounts for the unique acoustic properties of gut (my knowledge of organic chemistry is slightly more recent than my knowledge of mechanics, but still less than perfect).

I don't think a few mm error in finding the octave point will make much difference - you could just as well do it by measuring. I don't think using the third harmonic would change much - the balance may behave more accurately but the extra tension will likely make for even more error due to the reducing elasticity. Likewise if you use the midpoint but just pull it further sideways. You could try it with a more sensitive balance, if you have one to hand.

I'd appreciate if someone with more knowledge could comment though and perhaps suggest a way it might be possible to measure string tension in situ indirectly. It would be a useful thing to be able to do. Would using the vibrating frequency be a better bet?A quick google search finds plenty of devices for doing this on tennis rackets, but I imagine these operate much more within the elastic limit of the string.

DaveH - 7-21-2008 at 02:24 AM

Incidentally, both the direct and the indirect methods will be affected by the non-vibrating string length. The string between the nut (or your angle iron) and the peg, as well as the section below the bridge in the case of a floating bridge oud will stretch so that tension is spread along the whole string length whereas only the section between the nut and the bridge vibrates. I don't think this is accounting for the error you found though, as it should work in the opposite direction. To be completely accurate with the direct measurement though, you'd need to make sure the length between the angle iron and the peg was the same as that between the nut and the peg on your oud.

rojaros - 7-21-2008 at 04:17 AM

Thank you for the last contributions.
One very simple reason why the method you proposed seems to yield to large values seems to be that by pulling the string sidewards (at any point by any measurable amount of length) you also inevitabely increase the longitudinal tension (as the to large measurement shows).

This is independent of the issue whether the string reacts with an unchanged or changed elastic constant. Of course the latter seems to inscrease anyway at the upper range of possible string tension, be it nylon or gut.

If one wanted to take into account the length of the string behind the nut, things get really complicated, as every string has here different ammounts of length.

I will check it experimentally whether it really makes any big difference.

In reality things are even more complicated because of the sharp angle of the strings on the nut so that the tension behind the nut could be quite a lot bigger than the tension of the vibrating string (as certainly is the case with renaissance or baroque lutes, especially with wound strings.) What it certainly changes is the force on the peg. Also a string could break between peg and nut though it hasn't reached its breaking point on its vibrating side.

Actually I don't see theoretical reasons why this should matter, as we don't measure the force per length but rather just the force along the string. Theoretically all strings of the same linear density (mass per unit length) should vibrate the same fundamental frequency when pulled with the same tension on the same vibrational length. Maybe I'm wrong here? Of course, the longer the string is, the more windings on the peg you need on the peg to achieve the same tension because the length strech spreads over the total length. But the strech per length unit should be independent of the string length ond only depend on the tension.

Als I measure the tension on the vibrating side of the string, so eventual increase of tension on the peg side doesn't really matter in the frequency equation.

BTW the only fishing lines I ever pulled with this scale are oud strings ;)

PS: I just checked the fishing scale with a wieght that showed 259 g on my digital kitchen scale und 0,26 kg on the fish scale.

This makes less than 5% error which is small compared to the other difference.

DaveH - 7-21-2008 at 08:31 AM

You're right, the non-vibrating string length won't make a difference for direct measurement.

The extra tension from pulling the string sideways is actually what you use to calculate the resting tension, so that doesn't cause a problem. I still think it's most likely the elasticity or just the wrong calculation that's causing the discrepancy.

Does the distance behind the bridge affect the tension after the bridge?

katakofka - 9-15-2009 at 06:00 PM

interesting Rojaros
I have a question and i guess with the method you described you can answer me (if you have the will :))
does the distance behind the bridge have any effect on the tension generated after the bridge? The only parameter that can change the distance before the bridge is the bowl length. let's say you have 2 bowls, one is 49cm and the other is 52cm, you put the bridge to have a 60cm stringlength. When you put similar strings (let's say Pyramid oud strings) on both ouds the 52cm bowl would generate more tension?
I think with your method of string tension measurement we can have an answer about this issue. If you do 2 measurements, at different places of the metalic thing that you have do you generate different tensions after the metalic block?
Thanks !

[file]11181[/file]