Mike's Oud Forums

Rahim Al HAj

hama - 9-20-2008 at 01:42 AM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/talkingamerica/2008/09/oud_awakening.htm...

DaveH - 9-20-2008 at 04:42 AM

As a long-time expatriate American, I'm hono(u)red to be able now to count Rahim as a fellow citizen. We need more like him.

Melbourne - 9-20-2008 at 08:36 PM

hono(u)red

:applause:

cjmichael - 9-22-2008 at 07:41 AM

:applause: I never get tired of hearing his story.

hama - 9-23-2008 at 05:58 AM

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Rahim+Al+HAj&search...
have a look at some links too his music

his music is out
standing too

Christian1095 - 9-23-2008 at 09:02 AM

Gotta love another Obama supporter :bounce:

Thanks for sharing the story... As much as America doesn't understand the rest of the world....the reverse is true as well... I think his point about "America is a wonderful place - the country is gorgeous and the people are so open and welcoming, but Americans are very isolated" was right on... Most of the people I know have no idea what an Oud is the first time I tell them... and then they give me a weird look like "why would you want to play one of those.." Unless you've had the opportunity to live or travel outside of the country... You can go your entire life without any understanding of the outside world... and it's not that difficult to do so... Bill Maher wrote a book called When you ride alone you ride with Bin Laden... One of the things that really struck me was the statement "They hate us because we don't know why they hate us" -- but here's what you get from our government....

Quote:

"They hate us, because we're free. They hate the thought that Americans welcome all religions. They can't stand that thought. They hate the thought that we educate everybody. They hate our freedoms. They hate the fact that we hold each individual -- we dignify each individual. We believe in the dignity of every person. They can't stand that. And the only way they know to express themselves is through killing, cold-blooded killing. And so we need to treat them the way they are, as international criminals. And that's why my defense budget is the largest increase in 20 years. You know, the price of freedom is high, but for me it's never too high because we fight for freedom."

FromRemarks by the President at Connecticut Republican Committee Luncheon

Zoiks, when you're fed that line over and over... AND you NEVER have to deal with any of the negative perception the rest of the world has about america.... You get to live in blissful ignorance.

-- Sorry, back to ouds... I listened to some of his stuff on Youtube... Wow...

DaveH - 9-24-2008 at 04:56 AM

Hey Chris, this is a forum of informed, enlightened, likeminded human beings and you have nothing to prove, though your posts do prove you also fit this description.

I remember flying into an airport not very far from you on an American passport.

Customs man (in best NC drawl) : Howdy
Dave (in spivvy English) : Hello
Customs man (noticing spivvy English accent): so how lawng ya been away?
Dave: about 20 years, on and off (I was 21 at the time)
Customs man (looking shocked and scratching head) : what you do that for?
Dave: um... I live there.
Customs man (still scratching head, horrified look, nonetheless stamping passport) : well, ... welcome ... kinda home.