Mike's Oud Forums

My 1st oud project

Clayton - 10-24-2008 at 08:13 PM

I have started my first oud project and will be posting some images soon... Thanks to Dr. OUD and Jameel for the inspiration.
I started building before the Dr. OUD book arrived based on the thread Jameel had posted. Now that the book is here, I have some more info to go on. Please give advice as you see fit.
I cant wait!

DaveH - 10-25-2008 at 01:42 AM

Welcome to the forum Clayton. You're a brave man and it's great to have another person through whom we can act out our lutherie fantasies. Best of luck. You will get lots of encouragement here. Do post some pictures of where you're at now. No stage is too humble.

Jameel - 10-25-2008 at 04:11 AM

Looking forward...

Some progress picts

Clayton - 10-25-2008 at 09:01 AM

Here is the bending iron I made out of an old toaster oven and
some aluminum I had around the shop. The tube is a bit large in
diameter but is does bend ribs... I will swap it out for a 4" tube soon.

Here is the inlay tool I made before I started... Thanks Jameel!

Here is the bowl, neck, tailpiece and bridge...

Thats all for now... I will post some more tonight!
See ya later.

Clayton - 10-25-2008 at 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jameel
Looking forward...

Thanks Jameel... BTW.. it was your project that inspired me to go ahead and try to make one myself... I cant afford to buy a good one... soooooo... Thanks!:bowdown:

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveH
Welcome to the forum Clayton. You're a brave man and it's great to have another person through whom we can act out our lutherie fantasies. Best of luck. You will get lots of encouragement here. Do post some pictures of where you're at now. No stage is too humble.

Thanks DaveH for the encouragement.

paulO - 10-25-2008 at 12:10 PM

Looking good dude !! The bowl wood has some pretty interesting grain, and the pegbox and neck have an elegant look; the brige is cool. Again, way to go, and thanks for posting. Looking fwd. to the updates. Take care.

Regards..Paul

Dr. Oud - 10-26-2008 at 10:08 AM

Nice lookin' work, I'm encouraged myself every time someone starts a new project. I'm very pleased to have been of some help, and believe every new builder brings new ideas to the craft. The result is got to be improving the oud. way cool!

SamirCanada - 10-26-2008 at 07:32 PM

Thats great work so far my friend!
keep it up Clayton and welcome to the forums.

Clayton - 10-26-2008 at 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SamirCanada
Thats great work so far my friend!
keep it up Clayton and welcome to the forums.

Samir,
You and Jonathan were inspiration too... thanks for posting your projects!

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Oud
Nice lookin' work, I'm encouraged myself every time someone starts a new project. I'm very pleased to have been of some help, and believe every new builder brings new ideas to the craft. The result is got to be improving the oud. way cool!

Thanks Dr Oud!

Quote:
Originally posted by paulO
Looking good dude !! The bowl wood has some pretty interesting grain, and the pegbox and neck have an elegant look; the brige is cool. Again, way to go, and thanks for posting. Looking fwd. to the updates. Take care.

Regards..Paul

Thanks PaulO... Here is the Oud that is my inspiration.... Just a simple one so I can start playing and learning!
I am planning on a very dark shellac over the walnut bowl for a very deep color... with all ebony accents. We'll see. thanks all...

aytayfun - 10-27-2008 at 01:19 AM

Oud madness is goin' larger.
Welcome to the oud world.
Go on Clayton.
Nice job. :applause:

GeorgeK - 10-27-2008 at 06:14 AM

Beautiful work Clayton and welcome to the forums.
I'm looking forward to your next update.

Clayton - 10-30-2008 at 09:23 PM

I have been working 12-14 hr days so I have not had too much time to put in this week... however, I am almost done with the bowl!

Not sure how much to sand and scrape.

I did make some inlays like Jameel's...

and... I cut some bone and did a little bone and ebony pyramid... First of all, the bone really stinks when worked on a machine; like the dentist! :( Second, I don't know if I have the patience to make a big enough, glued up slab for the rosette.... whew... we'll see.

Quote:
Originally posted by aytayfun
Oud madness is goin' larger.
Welcome to the oud world.
Go on Clayton.
Nice job. :applause:

Thanks aytayfun... I think I've got the "ouditis" I am already cutting wood for my second oud with this one partially completed... going mad!

Quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeK
Beautiful work Clayton and welcome to the forums.
I'm looking forward to your next update.

Thanks GeorgeK... I am having a great time on this project.

Hopefully I'll have some time this weekend to make some real progress. I am waiting for my pegs to arrive via parcel post.
Thanks all!

P.S. Does anyone know of an Oud teacher in the So. California area?!!!

Ararat66 - 10-31-2008 at 12:40 AM

Welcome to the forum Clayton

Really impressed with your craftsmanship ... what's your day job?? I reckon this one's going to be a beauty ... watch this space.

Cheers
:xtreme:
Leon

Jameel - 10-31-2008 at 04:20 AM

:applause: Nice work Clayton! No one said working with bone was fun. I've been working with ivory lately. What a difference. My next rosette will be ivory. Expensive, but much nicer to work. Drop an email to Mike and he can help you with teachers in So Cal.

SamirCanada - 10-31-2008 at 04:57 AM

that is impressive Clayton!
keep it up!
:bowdown:

paulO - 10-31-2008 at 07:27 AM

Hi Clayton,

When I ordered an Oud from John Merjanian, I told him I wanted a bone nut, (a switch from the hardwood he'd used) -- he was quick to mention the "stink" as well.
Your oud's looking great dude...way to go !

Cheers..Paul

Clayton - 10-31-2008 at 09:07 PM

Quote:
that is impressive Clayton!
keep it up!

Thanks SamirCanada...
Your project is looking great too!

Quote:
Hi Clayton,

When I ordered an Oud from John Merjanian, I told him I wanted a bone nut, (a switch from the hardwood he'd used) -- he was quick to mention the "stink" as well.
Your oud's looking great dude...way to go !

Cheers..Paul

Hey Paul,
I am starting to get used to it!!

I did some work today in the shop and between waiting for veneer adhesive dry, I did some work on the Oud...

I inlayed the tail cover... the inlay tool I copied from Jameel works great. I had the material hogged out and trimmed in
about 45 minutes and ready to glue up. Super easy and it fits really tight. I think I am ready for the inlays on the back now.

I'll be doing that and the neck this weekend.
See you soon.
-C

Ararat66 - 11-1-2008 at 10:51 AM

Blimey

you don't hang around do you;)

go for it mate

Leon

Marina - 11-1-2008 at 03:36 PM

Mike - 11-2-2008 at 02:42 PM

Sweet project Clayton. Pretty darn good for your first one buddy! Thanks for sharing it with us all. Just replied to your U2U. Best of luck.

Clayton - 11-2-2008 at 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ararat66
Welcome to the forum Clayton

Really impressed with your craftsmanship ... what's your day job?? I reckon this one's going to be a beauty ... watch this space.

Cheers
:xtreme:
Leon

Thanks Ararat66.
I own a commercial woodworking company. We are doing a store interior right now for L'occitane. Its a company that sells expensive soap from S. France.
I worked in the shop all weekend doing store fixtures but....
I had some time to work on the oud...

I did the pegs... I could not wait for the pegs to arrive via parcel post so I went by a Lemur music store and had them pull these from four violins!!1 :)) Not the best but I am in such a hurry to finish. I am going to do more ornamentation on my second Oud; which I have started already too! I will document that build as well.

I did the neck... and the sound board out of a huge billet of alaskan spruce I have had for years. I have two pieces that are
4 ft. by 2 ft. by 2.5 inches. It smells like heaven when you scrape it!

I did the drawing for my rosette... I will post tomorrow once it is scanned and am cutting ribs tomorrow as well. Tonight i am making/gluing up the rosette inlay.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike
Sweet project Clayton. Pretty darn good for your first one buddy! Thanks for sharing it with us all. Just replied to your U2U. Best of luck.

Thanks for the feedback and the info... I will contact John... hes is quite close to me... and again, thanks for the great site. :bowdown:

Thanks Marina... I saw and will be ordering a copy of your book!
and, your music is great! :applause: I watched a couple on your site.

:bowdown::applause:

Quote:
Blimey

you don't hang around do you;)

go for it mate

Leon

LOL... I am in a big hurry so I can start playing... I am going to do the second one a bit slower and with more decorative elements. I am learning so much on this one. The next one will be epic.

Number of musical instruments made by me = 0
Number of musical instruments I have dreamed of making = 100s

:))

See ya'll later.

-Clayton

Jameel - 11-2-2008 at 10:13 PM

Nice job Clayton. I'd love to see pics of the store interior too.

An empty case of beer in the background. The *real* reason we like to hang out in the shop....:D

Clayton - 11-2-2008 at 10:58 PM

Quote:

An empty case of beer in the background. The *real* reason we like to hang out in the shop....:D

Hi Jameel,
here is the inside... not sure if it is acceptable but I brushed hide glue over the paper to help it lay down...

The box is full of leather clad clamping blocks... the real treats are in the small fridge to the left... lolz......:)):))

BTW... thank you for all the inspiration! You really have done some truly impressive work and thank you for sharing it. It really has saved me hours of figuring out stuff... you know...
thanks!

Clayton - 11-4-2008 at 07:56 PM

Quote:

Hi Jameel... here are some pictures of the store interior...

Clayton - 11-5-2008 at 10:57 PM

I have been working on the inlays in the back and will post tomorrow the picts of the finished product....

I found a rosette pattern that is better than what I drew and will be using it... it has a lotus in the middle...

I am going to start cutting it out tomorrow.

See you all then.
Clayton

Clayton - 11-5-2008 at 11:57 PM

Okay... finished before 12pm...

here are the inlays on the bowl...

Clayton - 11-5-2008 at 11:57 PM

hmmm...

SamirCanada - 11-6-2008 at 06:57 AM

GOOD GOING!
really nice job on the inlays clayton.
they look nice and tight.

Clayton - 11-7-2008 at 11:05 PM

Quote:
GOOD GOING!
really nice job on the inlays clayton.
they look nice and tight.

Thanks Samir... I am waiting for an update on your project too...

The inlays are really rewarding because they dont take too long to do and really add so much to the look of the Oud.

I am now a little over two weeks into the build...
I set the neck today and am cutting the rosette right now.
Braces tommorow and start working on the purfling tiles.
I think it will be ready for finish in a week and I may be playing an Oud in under four weeks! :airguitar:

See you all later!
Clayton

Clayton - 11-8-2008 at 05:11 PM

Here is the result of last nights rosette session...
a bit more to go and will be doing the soundhole purfling
tonight as well...

I will post more later...

-C

Clayton - 11-9-2008 at 04:17 PM

Here is the finished update on the rosette from last night...

I made the rosette from seven layers of an unknown veneer, glued up with each layer oriented in a different direction.
It is very strong, light, stable.

Here is the quick jig I made this morning to start the
bracing. It is just a couple of pieces of birch ply with
four allthreads on the corners with nuts and washers.
I had a bunch of walnut sticks already ripped and they seem to
work fine

Still going together well!

See you all later.

Clayton - 11-10-2008 at 11:31 PM

Here is the update.

I did some research on lute brace tuning... there is a huge amount of information on lutes... not so much on Ouds...They have done a lot of research on tuning braces on reproduction lutes at the university. (finally a worthy use of tax dollars):))
based on this information I carved the braces with a 1/4 step tuning between opposite braces from the outside in. This is a total experiment... as I will be happy if my Oud gives a resonant THUMP when played!!!! I just want to have a functioning Oud to start playing so I figure why not use this first instrument to play around with stuff. Here are the braces...

The braces fit snug and tight to the ribs all the way around.

I really like the rosette, but, it is a little heavy on the visual lines... it is really a lute rosette design anyway... the next on will be lighter and thinner lines...

I am making a new pegbox as well... I have a few new ideas and am not really happy with the first one... it does'nt take much time so I'm not really upset to scrap the old one... plus I got a new set of pegs that I like better than the first ones.

I need to order some strings shortly...

In regard to the finish, I will be doing a french polish of padded shellac. I have read an older thread here about this process and someone stated it was a 2 or 3 hundred hour finish... I cant remember the exact number.
I have done whole pieces of furniture that did not take that long. It takes a few minutes to pad on each layer of finish and then wait for it to cure/dry enough for the next coat. (the next coat can dissolve the previous coat) A large table top should not take more than a few hours to polish out with wetsanding and rottenstone... the finish is like none other when done... I dont know why, but it has a depth of color and feel that far exceeds any modern finish. I have had clients pay big bucks for art deco reproduction furniture with the FP shellac finish. But it is not the huge investment of time that it is commonly portrayed to be.

Plus... it is truly an environmentally friendly finish... just alcohol and the discarded chrysalis glue from insects. Double plus good!!

Clayton - 11-10-2008 at 11:56 PM

...Almost forgot... I am also scrapping my ebony bridge and doing a new one... I asked Jameel and Dr. Oud and found out that I naively made mine of ebony before doing any research... Oh well... maybe a mix of walnut and maple... we'll see... Thanks for the advice both of you.
I really value this site and the contributors for the wealth of knowledge!
-Clayton

jdowning - 11-11-2008 at 01:06 PM

Admirable progress and craftsmanship Clayton. Nicely done - and your completed oud will sound good!
I have used ebony bridges on lutes with some success but historically less heavy, close grained woods - such as pear wood, stained black - judging from surviving lutes, seem to have been more generally used to give a more responsive instrument at lower string tensions (less mass to set in motion is the theory). What structurally and acoustically applied to lutes will likely apply to ouds as well and vice versa.

Do you have more information on the university research that you mention - into the tuning of braces? I have always been suspicious (but remain open minded) about the effectiveness of soundboard tuning methods often claimed to be used by some lute and guitar makers. These procedures, when described in detail, always seem to defy a practical, foolproof methodology that might be useful and comprehensible to all.

Jameel - 11-11-2008 at 03:15 PM

Nice work all around Clayton! Thanks for taking the time to share with us.

Christian1095 - 11-12-2008 at 11:11 AM

Looks really nice, I can't wait to see and hear the finished product...

suz_i_dil - 11-12-2008 at 12:33 PM

Astonishing to see how many "gold fingers" people in this forum. Keep on going, and looking forward to hearing the result.

Update... Glue up!

Clayton - 11-12-2008 at 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jdowning
Admirable progress and craftsmanship Clayton. Nicely done - and your completed oud will sound good!
I have used ebony bridges on lutes with some success but historically less heavy, close grained woods - such as pear wood, stained black - judging from surviving lutes, seem to have been more generally used to give a more responsive instrument at lower string tensions (less mass to set in motion is the theory). What structurally and acoustically applied to lutes will likely apply to ouds as well and vice versa.

Do you have more information on the university research that you mention - into the tuning of braces? I have always been suspicious (but remain open minded) about the effectiveness of soundboard tuning methods often claimed to be used by some lute and guitar makers. These procedures, when described in detail, always seem to defy a practical, foolproof methodology that might be useful and comprehensible to all.

Thanks for the kind words jdowning...
as for the tuning information... it was late at night after working in the shop and I was just googling anything I could find. I did not bookmark info but sort of concocted an amalgam of what I had been reading... I think, given the perspective of a few days to ponder, that this is like you said, not practical and has no straightforward methodology...I am a bass player and when you look at basses from the 17th century.. the maker did not worry about symmetry... and many other things that we would find unsatisfactory in our work. But when you look at and hear these 300 year old instruments... they were built on intuition and the perfection and formulas we seek would have been ridiculous and irrelevant to them..

Quote:
Nice work all around Clayton! Thanks for taking the time to share with us.

Thanks for checking in... I will be ordering some strings from you!

Quote:
Originally posted by Christian1095
Looks really nice, I can't wait to see and hear the finished product...

Thanks Christian1095... Me too... I will post samples when done.

Quote:
Originally posted by suz_i_dil
Astonishing to see how many "gold fingers" people in this forum. Keep on going, and looking forward to hearing the result.

thanks for checking in suz_i_dil,
What are "gold fingers" people?

Here is the update on progress...

Glue up day!
I made a new bridge of walnut with maple and ebony accents...
tossed the all ebony one I made before.

And of course I put in a label... LOL... well... it is number one after all!!

I am making tiles for the edge purfling and will start putting that on tonight!

See ya soon....

suz_i_dil - 11-13-2008 at 12:41 AM

I used "gold fingers" as a kind of translation directly from french, an expression use for people who are very accurate whith their hands/ who are doing great hand work.

Thanks for keeping update in your project.

Ararat66 - 11-13-2008 at 12:44 AM

I love the label - it has a historic feel to it ... mmmmI wonder:rolleyes:

Leon

slovak75 - 11-13-2008 at 09:15 PM

The Oud looks awesome! Take it from someone who had some serious trouble building a birdhouse, that takes some real talent!!!:bowdown:

Update...

Clayton - 11-13-2008 at 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by suz_i_dil
I used "gold fingers" as a kind of translation directly from french, an expression use for people who are very accurate whith their hands/ who are doing great hand work.

Thanks for keeping update in your project.

suz_i_dil,
Thank you so much... I am humbled.

Quote:
I love the label - it has a historic feel to it ... mmmmI wonder:rolleyes:

Leon

Thanks Ararat66,
Yeah, Dr. Oud's book says to put a label in and I thought it was a good idea so I made a really simple one in photoshop. I think it looks nice... It adds a bit of gravity to the project!

Quote:
Originally posted by slovak75
The Oud looks awesome! Take it from someone who had some serious trouble building a birdhouse, that takes some real talent!!!:bowdown:

Thanks slovak75,
...again I am humbled....
I have to admit, although I have never made an instrument, I have been woodworking for more than 20 years... It really is a difficult undertaking and while I am working really fast, this project is a total learning experience and I hope to take these lessons and make a much better one next time.

Update:

I did the tiles on the edgebanding last night and made the new pegbox... I did the back of the pegbox in a nice tiger maple this time... I love tiger maple... I think a great oud bowl would be tiger maple and ebony... Hmmmmm.... :rolleyes:

See you soon...!

paulO - 11-14-2008 at 10:18 AM

Hi Clayton !

It's looking very cool..thanks for all the updates.

Regards...Paul

Update

Clayton - 11-17-2008 at 10:06 PM

Quote:
Hi Clayton !

It's looking very cool..thanks for all the updates.

Regards...Paul

Thanks PaulO

I have finished the tiles...
I did a marquetry letter "C" on the beard.
I am going to glue up the pegbox and get on with finish...

This should go in the new thread... "My second Oud"

I have some wood I harvested from a very special tree that
grow in my area. The Engelmann Oak grows in the coastal plain in California and must be 15 miles from the sea and at an altitude of 500 - 4000 feet ASL. They are a protected and endangered tree... (they grow in areas where people want to build homes) I live at 2000 ft. in an area called the Santa Rosa Plateau. We have the best examples of the Engelmann Oaks here. It is a very dense wood and so beautiful. The rangers cleaned up some fallen trees a few years ago and I grabbed the trunks and slabbed it for seasoning. I am going to use it on my next oud paired with tiger maple... here are some pictures of the wood. It has a specific gravity of .93... Ironwood and Lignum Vitae are the few woods higher... It almost does not float.

I was going to use lacewood and tigermaple but this...
will be so awesome. I put a coat of shellac on a blank right off the saw...(not scraped or sanded) and it was unbelievable.

I encourage you to look around and see if there is wood that you can salvage from the fire stack!

See you soon...

sabbassi - 11-18-2008 at 02:37 PM

I'm very impressed with the precision. Very nice work can't wait to hear the sound

jdowning - 11-20-2008 at 03:01 PM

Beautiful wood Clayton. Great to preserve a rare wood species - to be reincarnated in a musical instrument.
Labels and dates are important. It is amazing how easy it is to forget over time. Also label any special jigs so that 10 years 'down the road' you will remember their purpose.
Your rosette design was popular among lute makers of the 16/17th C except that in lutes the rosette is cut directly into the sound board and was not made separately. To make this possible the soundboard in the area of the rosette is made very thin - about 1mm. Also, the face of the rosette would be finished by relief carving - further making the rosette appear more delicate.

By the way, great work in your positive efforts in saving a few of the draft horses. A popular breed among enthusiasts in this area is the blond maned 'Belgian'. I regret not having had the resources to save a draft horse from a local government 'Living history' museum some years ago. This gentle giant of a horse was arbitrarily deemed as too old to be useful after 25 years of dedicated service. So poor "Pepper" was sent to the local farm auction to be sold - for about 50 cents pound body weight - as horse meat. Not to mention the terror the animal must have suffered in its unfamiliar journey to the slaughter house. I guess that the management of the museum were well satisfied with the $500 or so raised from the sale of the horse.

Clayton - 11-21-2008 at 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jdowning
Beautiful wood Clayton. Great to preserve a rare wood species - to be reincarnated in a musical instrument.
Labels and dates are important. It is amazing how easy it is to forget over time. Also label any special jigs so that 10 years 'down the road' you will remember their purpose.
Your rosette design was popular among lute makers of the 16/17th C except that in lutes the rosette is cut directly into the sound board and was not made separately. To make this possible the soundboard in the area of the rosette is made very thin - about 1mm. Also, the face of the rosette would be finished by relief carving - further making the rosette appear more delicate.

By the way, great work in your positive efforts in saving a few of the draft horses. A popular breed among enthusiasts in this area is the blond maned 'Belgian'. I regret not having had the resources to save a draft horse from a local government 'Living history' museum some years ago. This gentle giant of a horse was arbitrarily deemed as too old to be useful after 25 years of dedicated service. So poor "Pepper" was sent to the local farm auction to be sold - for about 50 cents pound body weight - as horse meat. Not to mention the terror the animal must have suffered in its unfamiliar journey to the slaughter house. I guess that the management of the museum were well satisfied with the $500 or so raised from the sale of the horse.

Thanks jdowning,

It is really amazing wood and to think I almost burned it... well, I am really glad to have it. I think that I have a couple of Ouds and one or two lute worth... I have a small lute form and was going to use maple and cherry but may substitute this for the cherry.
You are so right about the labeling issue... I have recently come across a set of jigs that I remembered making and using but had no idea of how or why they were employed. After much thought, I did remember their rather mundane usage but that was after only a few months in the shop since being made!!!
Great point.

... and even more tangentially....

I cannot tell you how deeply a story like that of "Pepper" makes me sad... I do not think that people value animal's lives in an appropriate way and am constantly amazed that our species flourishes in spite of our disregard for plant and animal life.
I do not believe that this is sustainable.

any who...

Update:

first two coats of filler shellac.... we are in the home stretch!

[img]null[/img][img]www.anetprophet.com/oud/oud52.jpg[/img]
[img]null[/img][img]www.anetprophet.com/oud/oud53.jpg[/img]

I am making a new mold and will post pictures soon...

see y'all!

Clayton - 11-21-2008 at 12:45 AM

whoops...
[img]www.anetprophet.com/oud/oud52.jpg[/img]
[img]www.anetprophet.com/oud/oud53.jpg[/img]

Clayton - 11-21-2008 at 12:47 AM

http://www.anetprophet.com/oud/oud52.jpg
http://www.anetprophet.com/oud/oud53.jpg

GeorgeK - 11-21-2008 at 10:18 AM

Awesome work Clayton, you make it seem so effortless.
I love your style and I'm looking forward to the 2nd Clayton Creation :applause:

Marina - 11-21-2008 at 01:54 PM

:applause:

Clayton - 11-21-2008 at 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeK
Awesome work Clayton, you make it seem so effortless.
I love your style and I'm looking forward to the 2nd Clayton Creation :applause:

Thanks GeorgeK,
I am humbled. I am already starting #2... LOL... the "Oud Addict" below my name is accurate.
Now that this project is coming to an end... and I have not heard it yet... I was thinking that it is one thing to make some wood look like a fine instrument and entirely another to make it sound like one... It came out way better than I expected for my freshman effort and I am crossing my fingers that it will sound okay too.

Quote:
Originally posted by Marina
:applause:

Thanks for checking in Marina.
BTW, I ordered your book yesterday and it should be here by the time I string this one up next week!
Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Tom Moran - 11-22-2008 at 01:18 PM

Clayton,
Very beautiful work! I'm sure it will sound fantastic. Looking forward to number 2.

Tom

Clayton - 11-23-2008 at 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Moran
Clayton,
Very beautiful work! I'm sure it will sound fantastic. Looking forward to number 2.

Tom

Thanks Tom,
I have taken a look at your project and it looks great!
You look like you are in the home stretch as well and good luck
from here on out, until it's finished!
When you posted your first entry, I LOL because it sounded so familiar. I started my project and asked advice from Jameel and Dr. Oud as well along the way. I have rushed this one and seriously cut some corners on craftsmanship, in order quickly produce an instrument of my making to learn to play, and am hoping this effort will provide a useful instrument to do so. My new instrument will be for the opposite effect; to produce an instrument of ideal craftsmanship and take the time to accomplish this. Incidentally, I am ordering a set of pegheds to use on the next instument as well. Jameel informed us of these and wow, they are awesome.

See ya soon!

Tom Moran - 11-23-2008 at 06:07 AM

Clayton,
Yes, we seem to be on the same road. And yes, there are things about my project that I ought to have done differently, but after much agonizing, I decided to chalk things up to experience and move on, rather than risk cascading failure. I'm also looking forward to oud #2, especially because I just recently forced myself to purchase a bandsaw and drill press. Doh!

Tom

SamirCanada - 11-28-2008 at 10:06 AM

Hi Clayton,
what's the lattest?

I would like to know how you do the edge tiles.
did you use the same technique described by Jameel?

Christian1095 - 11-28-2008 at 10:45 AM

Love the "C" on the neck... I can't wait to hear what she sounds like...

Clayton - 11-29-2008 at 12:28 AM

Quote:
Hi Clayton,
what's the lattest?

I would like to know how you do the edge tiles.
did you use the same technique described by Jameel?

Hey Samir,
Well, I have started Ouds #2 and #3....! I will post some pictures later. The weather has been wet for the last couple of days and not good for oudmaking. As for the tiles, I just layered up and glued some thin cut stock and veneer and made some sandwiches. Then I ripped them a little thicker than the finished thickness of of the tiles, then cut tiles with a hand saw and a homemade mitre box. I can take some pictures to help explain if you like. I am going to make a drum sanding jig to do tiles on the soundhole purfling on #2 and #3. That makes the tiles slightly rounded to fit in the routed channel. I am waiting for my peg shaver to arrive to finish #1... I tried making my own and gave up after a couple of attempts... Did not want to waste more time on something that I may not ever figure out... too many other things to do. When it arrives, I will get the oud together and whip up some sound files... I cant wait for that!

Quote:
Originally posted by Christian1095
Love the "C" on the neck... I can't wait to hear what she sounds like...

Thanks Chris,
I did the inlay with some bone I cut from a large petstore bone... I will not be doing that again. There are too many places to buy the slab cut bone already prepared... good learning experience but smells unholy on the bandsaw!

update!

Clayton - 12-1-2008 at 08:01 PM

Here is the final oud...

Since I have only been an oud player for about 30 minutes....
I will spare you the sound file! Also, I have a little buzz and need to adjust the fingerboard slightly to make it perfect. However, It has a great sound and is really full of bass response.

Here are #2 and #3:

I will post a sound file shortly once I make the adjustment...
Thanks for checking in!
-Clayton

SamirCanada - 12-1-2008 at 08:28 PM

very well done Clayton!!

I just cant believe how fast you work!!
impressive!

I don't usually make analogies... but
Its like I am on 56k modem and your on DSL.

sound byte

Clayton - 12-1-2008 at 09:21 PM

Thanks Samir...
Just know that I am a woodworker for a living. That puts me in the shop all the time and consequently, I can fit a lot of work in on the oud around my paying projects.

Soundfile....
Okay... seriously... I have been an oud player for 45 minutes, soooo... Please excuse the total lack of competence...

http://www.anetprophet.com/oud/checkone.mp3

But you can get a feel for the sound... the strings are still stretching too.

Jonathan - 12-4-2008 at 07:17 AM

Gorgeous.
The sound is really nice, as well. Like you mentioned, the strings are out of tune, but the important thing is that the sound is well represented throughout the spectrum--nice highs, nice midrange, nice lows. Sounds much better than my first oud did.
Congrats, Clayton. I hope that this is the first of many.
Good luck with the purfling on the new oud that you are making. I hope you keep us posted. I've made bowls with and without the purfling and, from my perspective, the purfling makes the project a lot more difficult--but worth it.

Clayton - 12-20-2008 at 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan
Gorgeous.
The sound is really nice, as well. Like you mentioned, the strings are out of tune, but the important thing is that the sound is well represented throughout the spectrum--nice highs, nice midrange, nice lows. Sounds much better than my first oud did.
Congrats, Clayton. I hope that this is the first of many.
Good luck with the purfling on the new oud that you are making. I hope you keep us posted. I've made bowls with and without the purfling and, from my perspective, the purfling makes the project a lot more difficult--but worth it.

Finally finished building the bowl for Oud #2... Yes, Jonathan, It was much harder to build with purfling... Here it is.. cant wait to get going on the rest of it!

I have been practicing playing my first oud but am not really confident yet...

paulO - 12-22-2008 at 09:49 PM

Hi Clayton,

A. Oud number one sounds good, ditto on Johathan's comments, and the body looks super rich !
B. Oud number two is shaping up WOW, love the curl and against the simple separator strips...gonna be killer.
C. Oud number three....wait...oud number 3 ??? What was the wood on the body for oud number 3 ?? Thanks for all the details and sound sample!

Regards..Paul

Jameel - 12-23-2008 at 05:21 AM

Nice job Clayton! That walnut looks beautiful in the sun. Actually, that whole scene looks beautiful right now, especially from the frigid, snowy midwest. :D

The other bowls are shaping up too. You are fast....

Clayton - 12-24-2008 at 12:23 AM

Quote:
Hi Clayton,

A. Oud number one sounds good, ditto on Johathan's comments, and the body looks super rich !
B. Oud number two is shaping up WOW, love the curl and against the simple separator strips...gonna be killer.
C. Oud number three....wait...oud number 3 ??? What was the wood on the body for oud number 3 ?? Thanks for all the details and sound sample!

Regards..Paul

Thanks for checking in Paul,
I hope that I will become proficient enough on oud#1 to post a better sound file soon... too ridiculously untrained so far...

Oud#2 is going to be really cool... it looks great so far... I have many new ideas for it...

Oud #3 is walnut... I really love walnut! Especially the smell of the wood when you work with it.

Quote:
Nice job Clayton! That walnut looks beautiful in the sun. Actually, that whole scene looks beautiful right now, especially from the frigid, snowy midwest. :D

The other bowls are shaping up too. You are fast....

Thanks Jameel,
Between unusual rainstorms, we have some great days....
I am slowing down from now on... I was just in a hurry to finish the first one and start practicing... now, I want to take the time to produce something a bit closer to perfection... LOL
I am working on a pegbox now.

Clayton - 7-1-2009 at 08:54 PM

I am working again!!

Here a a couple of picts of oud #2

I will keep posting as work progresses.
This one will have a traditional back and a contemporary front in terms of ornamentation.
My first oud won 4th place at the San Diego county fair in the musical instrument category... I dont think the judges knew what an oud was... lol.... There were some beautiful guitars in the competition!
-Clayton

msimon - 7-3-2009 at 05:27 PM

Wow! I am very impressed with your work!!!! Great job!
Thanks,
MS

beautiful work

muthada - 7-4-2009 at 03:13 AM

beautiful work man :xtreme:

Jameel - 7-4-2009 at 04:48 AM

Nice looking inlay Clayton!

Very impresive work!

Yaron Naor - 7-6-2009 at 01:56 AM

Keep us posted :applause:
Yaron.