Mike's Oud Forums

La Musee- Cite de la Musique - Paris

jdowning - 10-29-2008 at 12:41 PM

This museum has a wide ranging and important collection of instruments - East and West. The website offers high resolution images of instruments in the collection for study by researchers - as well as museum drawings of the instruments for the benefit of luthiers - among other, many facilities. Great site.
http://mediatheque.cite-musique.fr

Peyman - 10-29-2008 at 02:32 PM

There is some interesting instruments in there. Amazing to see. Thanks for the heads up. The only drawback is that sometimes the website crashes on me. Not sure why.

gregorypause - 10-30-2008 at 05:04 AM

They have a nice Georges Nahat oud.

It is also interesting to follow the development of instruments, like the guitar from the 16th century to the current times. Thanks for the link.

jdowning - 10-30-2008 at 11:58 AM

Hmmm - it looks as though the link to the Museum collection of instruments previously posted no longer works! I have checked the Museum web site by another route and confirm that access to the 'catalogue of the collection' is not possible - at least at present.

There is a message on the site stating that "the permanent collections are closed to the public (museum re-organisation) until 03 March 2009 - only the temporary exhibits are open".

So perhaps the on-line facility to access data and images about the instruments in the collection is now also being re-organised? I may just have been fortunate in getting access a day or two before they shut down for maintenance. Pity - if that is the case - but something to look forward to for next year.
So, if you are visiting Paris, take note that the Museum is temporarily closed except for a current temporary exhibition Gainsbourg 2008.

jdowning - 10-30-2008 at 12:37 PM

..... tried again with success!! http://mediatheque.cite-musique.fr/masc/
On the left panel click 'Collections du Musee' and then 'Instrument et Ouvres d'Art' type in instrument type (Mot-cle) or maker (facteur) etc. and click on the 'find' (Rechercher) button. Lets see for how long this works!

Peyman - 10-30-2008 at 05:44 PM

I think the website crashes a lot. If you stay patient, you can check back and see it working again.

jdowning - 10-31-2008 at 06:25 AM

You are right Peyman - sometimes it works, sometimes not. Hopefully, this is something the Museum will fix.
Exploring the site in more detail, I was unable to determine if the Museum operates a retail outlet for sale of copies of listed plans, books and documents. For example I have working drawings, by Pierre Abondance, of the the Grobert guitar, cat. E 375 C 278 in the collection. This was purchased some 20 years ago from the publisher "Societe des amis du musee instrumental - du conservatoire national superieur de musique de Paris" The museum - as it is today - lists the drawing in its collection of documents but perhaps only retains a copy for reference?

Danielo - 12-8-2008 at 04:58 AM

I just realised - it is possible to listen to my teacher playing on the Nahat ;)

http://mediatheque.cite-musique.fr/masc/?url=/clientbooklineCIMU/to...

("Instruments du Monde" section )

As an aside, I found on the Museum's webpage this 1779 Egyptian oud:

are you aware of any oud older?

suz_i_dil - 12-9-2008 at 10:40 AM

I heard they found a kind of lute in excavation of a pharaonic grave. But this is just a remember and don't have more information about, it may be wrong.