Mike's Oud Forums

Advice for this oud ?

Tarbool59 - 11-3-2008 at 01:42 AM

Hello,
someone is selling me this oud, asking 400 € (520 USD) (. It looks a bit crapy (especially the bridge) but as newbie maybe i'm maybe wrong. Do you think i should try? Thanks for advice !

Tarbool59 - 11-3-2008 at 01:46 AM

Josh - 11-3-2008 at 02:32 AM

is that one of those cheap khalifa tourist ouds that is a shiney ournament? you should be able to see the maker label

hama - 11-3-2008 at 03:02 AM

Hi tarbool
DO you know the name of the seller? is it on Ebay?
afew people in this forum have bad experince with sellere who sell fake ouds , if you clarify they might be able to help you

Tarbool59 - 11-3-2008 at 03:23 AM

Hi all thx for your quick answers !:applause:
It's a direct sell , not from ebay. I'll try to ask the seller to send a pic of the label. :shrug:

journeyman - 11-3-2008 at 05:23 AM

To me it looks like one of those "tourist ouds" from Egypt, in which case the price is much too high. You can get a Sukar oud or a decent Turkish oud for that much money, then you would have something to play that would sound good and last, and that would also have some resale value.

suz_i_dil - 11-3-2008 at 01:10 PM

Indeed, this kind of oud is very cheap in the street of music of Cairo, and more a work of carpenter than luthier.
Without mosaic cheap oud there were around 45 euros, with mosaic probably a bit more.
Don't be cheat by the mosaic, which is machine made and moreover have a bad incidence on the sound.

I take the same opinion than other people who answered you, you can find nice turkish oud for this price. BY the way, talking of euros, and if you are located in France. There is a shop there, in Paris, call tuana music, rue de Metz , 75009. They have sometimes nice ouds, more expensive than in Turkey of course.
Out of that there is a seller on ebay, call cem music center, I don't know about quality of his ouds but middle range prices.

Regards

Tarbool59 - 11-4-2008 at 02:37 AM

Thx all !!
Seller doesn't want to give me the label so it's an other argument against my buy.. I'll visit the shop in Paris, "merci beaucoup" !!
:bowdown:

hama - 11-4-2008 at 03:24 AM

That tells you alot about the seller and his oud, if it is geniune oud and he is a reputable seller then he needs to be open with you and no need to hide.

oudplayer - 11-4-2008 at 05:18 AM

hey guys

you know what ? people make me laugh , i just wok eup and i need it bigtime, before i got to biology class.
How do people sell crap all the time and use the seller. i dont know about you but it makes me mad sometimes bc people will lie in yr face, and hama as you see they dont wanna give you a label or anything so even if he said 50 eros i say screw it , dont give him any money. i have better ouds hanging on my wall.

btw where in london you from?

thx sammy