Mike's Oud Forums

My latest....

Jameel - 11-8-2008 at 02:26 PM

....just finished a couple days ago.

Nice pictures next week, but for now here's the sound. Critiques welcome.

I need to practice...(sigh)

MP3 Download

Amer - 11-8-2008 at 02:37 PM

I am truly speechless!! :bowdown:

I love everything about it.. The color arrangement of light and shadow is amazing!!

Wonderful job Jameel, your work is impressive! :applause:

Franck - 11-8-2008 at 02:58 PM

very nice harmony of colors and shapes, truly a work of art...
and it sounds great

farukturunz - 11-8-2008 at 03:03 PM

Hi Jameel!

Your work is amazing.

The sound of it is stunning. Congratulations my friend.

oudplayer - 11-8-2008 at 03:14 PM

jameel please stop building your ouds are ugly and basicly i have no words for you .:D

dude just playing , i love your style its amazign and the sounds gets better and better. I love the one hole and everything , i really do mate.
Cant wait for the next oud lol.
:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:
thx sammy

patheslip - 11-8-2008 at 03:41 PM

elegance itself

francis - 11-8-2008 at 04:08 PM

An amazing one more from les doigts d'or de Jameel....
Is-it possible at this day to find an oud better than a Jameel's oud? To my taste the answer is clear, his artwork in oud making is what I prefer......magic instruments......and lucky owners !!!

Ararat66 - 11-8-2008 at 04:13 PM

Jameel

Don't knock your playing, I know why you say such a thing but you should respect your talent more;) ... really you should!!

The sound of that oud is really something - I don't say that lightly.

You should be really proud - who have you made it for BTW

Best wishes

Leon

Jameel - 11-8-2008 at 04:59 PM

Thanks everyone! But the gushing comments must stop! How am I supposed to improve? :D

Faruk, your words are dearly appreciated. :bowdown:

I think the sound quality of this oud is very nice so far (about three days with strings on). The treble, especially the g (that blasted g course!!) needs to fill in a bit. I also have very light gauge on that course (.029), so a little tweaking may be in order. I think in a couple years of steady playing it will be a great one. At least I'm hoping for it. A forum member asked me to make this oud over a year ago. I'll let him talk about if he chooses to.

paulO - 11-8-2008 at 05:27 PM

Hi Jameel,

Your playing is fine dude..your left hand is pretty accurate and your "touch" is really relaxed. Your picking sounds pretty good too -- just give it time, you could work more on your picking hand, that'll improve with time (duh...sorry).

The oud sounds pretty darn good as well, more for what is doesn't have -- that kinda tight restricted sound that some new ouds have -- and .029 for the G, heck I've used that guage on my Merjanian when I had it tuned to G. From my limited perspective (mp3 recording, cheapo PC speakers) -- the top two courses don't seem to be too weak to me...hey sorry to go on and on. It's a lovely instrument, and I'm it's owner will be very pleased.

Regards...Paul

oudipoet - 11-8-2008 at 07:41 PM

hi jameel
as always great work brother

looks great sounds great then it got to be jameel made.

ps:dear jameel on your blog i red an article about new mechanical pegs they seem very interesting but i could not find any finished results such as the looks on an instrument and how well do they work on an oud if u can inform us more about those pegs i would be so happy thanks.

omazuz - 11-8-2008 at 08:57 PM

Amazing- wish i had 1 !

Melbourne - 11-8-2008 at 09:21 PM

Wow Jameel...

really - I don't think I've seen such workmanship matched in arabic ouds before. There is very obsessive attention to detail here, which many oud makers clearly don't stress over, because in the end its the finished oud that overwhelms one's perception on their "new" oud - usually things like purfling slightly not lining up, rosettes that are slighly out of wack - almost always get overlooked; and many people are considered nuts if the stress over them. But imagine if these glitches didn't exist - and here I think we have such example. So I guess what I'm trying to say is that Jameel's ouds are truly one off pieces of art...just beautiful!!!

LeeVaris - 11-8-2008 at 09:42 PM

Another triumph!

Jameel your work continues to amaze - I'm really enjoying the sandwich top oud. I play it almost every day – is this one another sandwich top?
:applause:

SamirCanada - 11-8-2008 at 11:13 PM

sweetness! pure and simple.
I like the design on the beard. very cool.
Congradulations! the oud really really does sound great.

MatthewW - 11-9-2008 at 01:42 AM

beautiful. :applause:

what are the specs on this one Jameel?

Ararat66 - 11-9-2008 at 03:33 AM

Hi Jameel

This is meant in the kindest way ;) speaking for myself, my comments are not made with any sense of glib, gratuitous gushing compliments. You don't get better just by having your deficiencies pointed out but also what you do well ... you knocked your playing so I thought I would redress the balance a little to help you on your way:rolleyes:

Speaking personally I have found there is even more of an art to taking and receiving well than there is to giving. Now if only you would stop making these blessed ouds you might have more time to practice:applause::applause:

Please don't change a thing!!

Leon

corridoio - 11-9-2008 at 07:15 AM

very beautiful work Jameel, your ability to turn wood in sound in increasing so fast..
what's your approach about soundboard and bracing? are you now in the phase of little adjustments from the same pattern that is right for you? the tuning of the braces, soundboard, bridge, bowl is a thing that you use in your work?
ale.

PeppeOud - 11-9-2008 at 07:15 PM

Just outstanding!

shareen - 11-9-2008 at 09:53 PM

More more more...

Can we see more pics? Just gorgeous!!! And what a delicious sound. Stunning. 5 years from now? Allah....oh my gawd..

Clayton - 11-9-2008 at 11:11 PM

Jameel,
That is another truly beautiful creation!
You are really producing some special instruments.
I would like to second the motion stated by shareen for more pictures.
Thanks as always for the inspiration.
Clayton

aytayfun - 11-10-2008 at 02:57 AM

Congratulations
A simple elegance. Go on Jameel.

veyselmaster - 11-10-2008 at 07:04 AM

Congratulations jameel
Very nice handy work
Best wishes

journeyman - 11-10-2008 at 07:50 AM

Jameel, you set the bar very high for Arabic oud building. I hope that other builders who don't pay attention to detail or care about their own craftsmanship will stop and think about how beautiful an oud can be and strive for better. The sound is wonderfully rich and evenly balanced all over. Every time you build an oud it sounds better than the last one. A big pat on the back!

Roy

mavrothis - 11-10-2008 at 10:16 AM

Beautiful oud Jameel, and really lovely and emotional playing too.

This oud really speaks to me as I listen to it. I almost want to turn off all the lights, close my eyes, and just listen to it on loop.

It looks really gorgeous too.

Great job Jameel! Bravo!

mavrothis

francis - 11-13-2008 at 12:13 AM

Hello Jameel.

What is the top of your bridge made with ? Bone?

Boral - 11-13-2008 at 01:16 AM

Beautiful!!!!
Congratulations!

Pics of the latest

Jameel - 11-20-2008 at 07:31 PM

Thanks everyone. This one is impressing me with it's sound. I'm really satisfied with it. Not too much sustain, or overtones, but a clean, balanced, Arabic sound. I think it might be the best one yet. Time will tell. Here are some nice pics we took earlier this week. Walnut was used for most of the oud, with rosewood for the fingerboard, pickguard and peg heads. White parts are ivory. The beard inlay is holly.

The pegs are Chuck Herin's Pegheds. You can read more about them on the Khalaf Oud Blog. I love them. They really do look nice on an oud, and they work amazingly well. They aren't cheap (about $250 per dozen), but I think they are worth it. I'm seriously considering installing these on my subsequent instruments. I like them that much. And they aren't heavy. Basically they are a couple pegs worth heavier than wood. I don't even notice it on this oud.

journeyman - 11-20-2008 at 08:20 PM

A real masterpiece Jameel! Congratulations.

Roy

corridoio - 11-21-2008 at 12:58 AM

very beautiful Jameel
ale.

Boral - 11-21-2008 at 01:15 AM

Beautiful!!!

francis - 11-21-2008 at 04:41 AM

Mille bravos Jameel....
Pure artwork....!!!!

SamirCanada - 11-21-2008 at 06:03 AM

oh my lord...
that is a beuty!
very nice and clean work Jameel.
we are starting to see some Khalafoud trademarks and signature designs.
honestly its so humbling to see your work. The way each and every rib comes to a perfect fit.
Congradulations!!

Christian1095 - 11-21-2008 at 07:43 AM

Wow, that is a beautiful instrument.... And it sounds just a pretty as it looks...

patheslip - 11-21-2008 at 09:29 AM

Stunning

Owain-Hawk - 11-21-2008 at 09:31 AM

Absolutely amazing. Wow... :applause:

GeorgeK - 11-21-2008 at 10:16 AM

Pure Poetry, whoever ended up with this Oud is very lucky.

Clayton - 11-21-2008 at 09:40 PM

Astonishing craftsmanship.
Truly!:applause:

-Clayton

Nicola - 11-21-2008 at 11:48 PM

Meraviglioso!
The attention to detail is amazing...like all your work!A work of art!
Nicola

Jameel - 11-22-2008 at 04:17 PM

Thanks everybody.

Is there anything you don't like about it? Seriously, don't hesitate. I like critiques.

Brian Prunka - 11-22-2008 at 07:18 PM

Amazing work, as usual Jameel.

I have a question, though--it looks like the string spacing leaves the strings very close to the edges of the fingerboard in the picture of the beard. Doesn't it make it hard to play up there? Or is it not as close as it looks?

Melbourne - 11-22-2008 at 07:37 PM

Well....

I guess if I wanted something different on this oud, I would have gone for more detail on the bowl, like double line separators between the ribs - and the inlays. Of course Jameel has proven very capable of achieving that - but am sure whoever commisioned this oud had a budget to stick to :D

Now I have no idea how much this oud, or Mike's, may have cost - but I have no doubt that this kind of work is worth every penny, because we're talking about a one man show here. And if one was to think about the amount of hours that goes into such work, the figure is always reasonable.

Melbourne - 11-22-2008 at 07:56 PM

Oh....

Sorry to be so nosy....But I couldn't resist imagining how totally amazing this oud would look with 3 shamasi.... just wishful thinking :(

Jameel - 11-23-2008 at 09:08 AM

Brian. You have a good eye. I positioned the low C so it's closer than usual to provide some more room for the the other courses (does anybody really play up on the low C?). The high c'c' course is just where I like it, and reflects what I usually do. The picture does make it look a bit closer though. This oud plays very nicely.

Melbourne. Nice work on the editing. Yeah, three holes look pretty good indeed. The guy who commissioned this wanted one hole for this oud though. And the pickguard looks better closer to the bridge as well, but in my experience the Nahat pickguards are too low. I only know one person who plays really close to the bridge. And how many ouds have you seen where the pickguard is too low and there is a seriously worn area of spruce just above the top edge of the pickguard. Doesn't make a whole lot of functional sense. That's why I think it's important to tailor these aspects to the customer's preference.

Jameel - 11-23-2008 at 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by francis
Hello Jameel.

What is the top of your bridge made with ? Bone?

Ivory

oud

oudmad - 11-23-2008 at 04:38 PM

As an art admirer myelf, I can only describe this worksmanship as a labor of pure love - a thing of beauty to behold. I often glean these pages not for inspecting the instrument itself, but mostly for the beauty of the sound it produces, in the right hands of course. This time around, however, I found the image to be a spellbinding and hypnotizing wonder. To say it is a true masterpiece may be an understatement. I am in awe and am holding my breath for the next one. A job extremely well done. Thanks for sharing Jameel.

Melbourne - 11-24-2008 at 02:34 AM

Yeah you absolutley right with the whole raqma thing Jameel. I actually learned that the hard way - the oud which I had converted a year or so ago - I did the layout drawings and then gave them to the luthier to build. I spent hours working out where the exact location of the soudholes should be, and the raqma etc. As it turned out, I didn't like the raqma too close to the main soundhole, so I lowered it closer to the bridge, in order to give a balanced look on the face of the oud; such that it wasn't all happening in the upper hlaf of the sound borad, and the lower half looking plain. And so when the whole thing was ready to be played, I naturally found my risha plucking position about a couple of centimetres away from the pickguard :D leaving the cedar soundboard exposed to danger. Luckily I prefer playing in the lower registers, or maybe I just cant reach high enough!

GeorgeK - 11-24-2008 at 08:15 AM

If you're asking for critique, then I can tell you I dont like how it will take me about 100 years to achieve this level of perfection.

revaldo29 - 11-25-2008 at 10:40 AM

absolutely stunning............

mavrothis - 11-25-2008 at 08:02 PM

This is really, incredibly gorgeous. Stunning, simply beautiful.

m

rebetostar - 11-25-2008 at 11:20 PM

My favorite part is the pickguard.. the way it fades from red to dark.. nice choice.
I bet the top will turn golden with age.. wow.