Mike's Oud Forums

My trip to Cairo

Pages:  1  2  3

Mike - 1-27-2009 at 10:35 AM

just reading this now. missed all the stuff before the editing. glad to see everything has been worked out.

edward, if you want to merge this with the cairo trip thread, let Greg, Samir or i know....we'll be happy to do that...

JT - 1-27-2009 at 10:56 AM

Hey Leon,

I think its worse man, the more you eat hamburgers, the more your oud becomes further away from you and eventually you might need a flat back :)

All the best,

JT

Luttgutt - 1-27-2009 at 12:28 PM

Hi JamesOud!
No, my remarque was not to be distructive. I was only giving my opinion about the MUSIC, neither the person nor the ape!
And to be honest, I can't find any reason to be jealous, and I don't have a clue as to why you assume that I was. Lots of oud players I like and admire. Never felt jealous of any of those players! And certainly, I am not jealous of Mr. Turunz (I don't make ouds). But when I hear how old you guys are, things get a litle clearer :-*)

JamesOud - 1-27-2009 at 12:35 PM

Posting has been deleted

MatthewW - 1-27-2009 at 12:56 PM

Hello everyone. I don't think anyone here would seriously want to do a 'game show comparison' between Joseph and Mamdouh, or the ouds they choose to play, or anything along those lines. We all know they are both top players and that their ouds are as well.
I can understand us lesser mortals getting excited about such great oud playing in those clips that were just recently posted in this forum for all to to see, hear, watch, admire and be inspired by. I don't know who owns these youtube clips of Joseph and Mamdouh jamming, but as of this posting they seem to have been removed, and all I get is' this video is private' when I go to youtube.
I hope they are back up in this forum/thread again soon.

I want to especially say what a good hearted soul JT is, any comments he has made in this thread about the 'comparison thing' have been nothing short of cool and brotherly understanding.
regards, MW

SamirCanada - 1-27-2009 at 02:35 PM

Thanks Edward.

looking forward to part 3.

I have been checking your thread first thing when I come home from work.

this is such beautiful music.

Edward Powell - 1-27-2009 at 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike
just reading this now. missed all the stuff before the editing. glad to see everything has been worked out.

edward, if you want to merge this with the cairo trip thread, let Greg, Samir or i know....we'll be happy to do that...

Yes... please shift it all over to the Cairo thread, and when that is done I will be happy to resume uploading the remaining clips.

my preference is that discussion of material presented on my thread ought to stay on my thread - at least as long as I am still in Cairo. After that, I am not bothered.

Thanks everyone for your understanding.

The clips are now back on public viewing....:xtreme:

Edward Powell - 1-27-2009 at 03:36 PM

...went to an incredible concert tonight of NUBIAN music at the funky venue "MAKAN"!
got some amazing footage, will be posting soon :cool:

Danielo - 1-27-2009 at 04:07 PM

:D

Edward, those videos are really wonderful, thanks a lot for sharing this with us!

Edward Powell - 1-27-2009 at 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Danielo

Edward, those videos are really wonderful, thanks a lot for sharing this with us!

Your welcome...

here is #3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Tzs-5bOiZ4

abusin - 1-28-2009 at 03:32 AM

Hi Edward,

Thank God order is restored now:xtreme: cheers Mike
I still didn't have a chance to see this videos:( went home last night after work and the links reqired login to youtube which I did to no avail:mad:
from what i can see above they are back on public viewing:bounce:
can't wait to get home "I'm canceling my Gym practice";)

Also will be great to see the Nubian concert too,
have loads of fun mate, I wish I was there with you:D guess what I'm already checking filght fares to Cairo for some time this year,

best regards to Cairo

Edward Powell - 1-28-2009 at 04:05 AM

...yes! I am loving it here more everyday...

getting to know more and more concert venues and musician - and now finding it hard to find practice time:)

Tomorrow night will meet Hazem Shaheen for the first time:bowdown: [i am really curious to see how LOW his action really is.... certainly sounds lower than 2mm on his clips]

Edward Powell - 1-28-2009 at 04:23 AM

JT and Mamdouh: clips 1, 2, and 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWn2ysvVUZU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9TV_3Z6-40

Mike - 1-28-2009 at 08:38 AM

These are awesome clips Edward. You should see if Joe can't help you out with a visit to Abdo Dagher. It sounds like Modathir was there with you guys at Mamdouh's. Not sure, but if you haven't met him, it is a must too. I'm itchin' for a trip to Egypt now sooooo bad! Thanks again boss.

Edward Powell - 1-28-2009 at 08:55 AM

Hi Mike
Great to hear from you... well, just to whet your appetites some more for this wonderful land. . . here is a clip from an unbelievable NUBIAN gig last night in this wonderful venue MAKAN.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvPjIIHUpz0

...would be great to get turned on to more egyptian players... sure was easier when joe was around:(

suz_i_dil - 1-28-2009 at 10:48 AM

haaa Edward, your thread only give me the wish to go back to Cairo.
Such beautiful music you have post.

Didn't know so many instruments were now teach in the oud school, maybe this is the cause you found the level a bit low. I mean it is a pyramidal organisation, they first form a teacher, who then teach to more students, then become teachers themselfs...etc So I guess with all those new teaching, this will take a few time.
I learned a lot there, then it is personnal learning and practice and that will take time. All student take their own way...from the old school style to the Naseer Shamma clone. But sure there are really great players who have come out from this school.

By the way, if you are looking for the old school style, try to meet with the brother of Mohammed Antar. I loose a bit contact with him and didn't know if he is back in Egypt...But pretty sure you will enjoy if you listen to him

Edward Powell - 1-28-2009 at 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Luttgutt
Hi JamesOud!
No, my remarque was not to be distructive. I was only giving my opinion about the MUSIC, neither the person nor the ape!
And to be honest, I can't find any reason to be jealous, and I don't have a clue as to why you assume that I was. Lots of oud players I like and admire. Never felt jealous of any of those players! And certainly, I am not jealous of Mr. Turunz (I don't make ouds). But when I hear how old you guys are, things get a litle clearer :-*)

That is great to be able to be free from jealousy... although in this case I think the more accurate word is envy. I myself have not been so lucky or enlightened. Both jealousy and envy are things I regularly struggle with.

- - -

Went back to the MAKAN tonight and saw a similar group to last night, however this time it was without the western instruments... It was great - really "down the NILE trance music!"

Normally I don't like east-west fusions but I have to say that LAST night, with the mix of 'nile trance' with some western instruments was the first time I actually PREFERED the east - west mix, to the original eastern version.

Another thing I have noticed, and a recent conclusion I have come to is that I think that this "Nile trance" groove music with gypsy women bashing frame drums etc.... I think that probably this is the REAL Egyptian music. It seem to me that the sophisticated maqam system is actually something imported during the Ottoman times -

Anyone having more accurate historical insight please speak up!

THANKS!

Edward Powell - 1-29-2009 at 06:07 AM

couple of great concerts and the NUBIAN Performance Club "MAKAN", in downtown Cairo.

the first one was traditional nubian music modern style with some western instruments...

the second and third clips are of the the second gig which was purely acoustic pure nubian music...
this music is essential from North Sudan.

the MAKAN club is a wonderful funky little arts club basically an old garage turned theatre - perfect atmosphere!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvPjIIHUpz0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOG4MeHZLNQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou0uuPz-YQs

MatthewW - 1-29-2009 at 06:48 AM

What a great time at Club Makan that must have been! really great funky grooves, the African influence is all there, an all star blend of old and modern instruments.
James Brown would have felt right at home! :xtreme:

Edward Powell - 1-29-2009 at 12:45 PM

Just got home from a concert of Hazem Shaheen's group.

I in fact did not stay for the whole concert because it was not what I expected. I had an incling that this gig might be something like this because of some youtube clip I saw of him singing some light music. What surprised me is how famous he is actually--- the hall was just packed, and everyone fully enjoyed, clapping and singing along.

For me, however, I was looking for deep oud playing (more than 2 minutes worth), serious composition, interesting rhythms... and this sort of thing. Not to be found tonight unfortunately [IMO]--- I feel quite disappointed since I love Hazem's youtube taqasim clips and serious oud playing stuff.... so I will have to keep an eye open for when he might be giving a solo oud recital one of these days.

Other than that I am really glad that he is successful outside of the "oud player's world" --- Well done, Hazem! -

dubai244 - 1-30-2009 at 05:14 AM

Hi edward,

I would like to thank you for posting all these pictues and reports about your trip to egypt, it is really nice from you.

I really disappointed about some oud players, once they start makeing money, they totally forget about oud and music. Some of them, even they have the skills to make serious music, they tend to make "relaxation" music and light music and they totally diverted from music that have value.

Naseer as good example, when he started playing, He made such hard efford to make what he have done. Now, he is one of the famous oud player. I am sure he was planning his career before he started it. The new generation oud players they dont have an idea about how the good player should act and should know what to play, when to play and judge which kind of audions they are listening to them.

The good oud player in my opinion, beside his skills, they should have knowlege and an "attitude" that makes him good player in front of his fans and audions for ever.

Either play some thing that has value or dont play at all.

Thanks

katakofka - 1-30-2009 at 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dubai244

Either play some thing that has value or dont play at all.

Thanks

Totally Agree with you Dubai. However, when the music is the only source to survive one can understand commercial music done by good musicians. They are in need to reach everyone thus they can make money.
When I was student, music was a good source of money for me. I used to be on stage every week end playing percussions, bouzouk, oud..I sung, anything that allows me making money because I was in need I had a rent to pay. There was some pleasure doing that, i don't deny it, but the moment I graduated and begun working I never went back to stage because it was really commercial stuff, you get fed up of such thing after a while.
But when the music is the only source to survive what one can do? he or she are obligated and bills are waiting to be payed !

Edward Powell - 1-30-2009 at 07:21 AM

Very good discussion guys, thanks - it also makes me feel better hearing your word and resonance with how I have been feeling since Shaheen's concert.

It is difficult to know how he really feels about what he is doing --- of course he enjoys the commercial gigs... but it is hard to tell whether deep down he would rather be doing music in a deeper way - - - or, if he is totally fine with it, and maybe I am only projecting my own feelings onto him.

finally it doesn't matter...

but yes, I have had the same experience with commercial music - - - I began playing serious music (progressive rock) right from the beginning, but slowly moved towards dancable rock music in order to play for school dances, and later in clubs... in the begining I was also aware that a "shift" was taking place and that the music was getting "lighter" and less meaningful - but it felt GREAT to play at dances and be a small Hero for a few hours etc etc.... but later this became my way to get the money I needed to survive - and it became the opposite of fun - and the places I had to play were often really horrible....

Finally it got to the point that I traumatised myself emotional - slowly over the years... and now I am totally incapable to doing anything remotely commercial with music. This is probably also not a healthy thing--- like bouncing from one extreme to the other.

It is difficult for me, but I try to try not to judge "value" in music... like, "this has value/but this does not"... for example, last night, it was obvious that although I did not enjoy the music at all, still there were hundreds of people there who seemed to be enjoying it - so surely the music has value for them. So, that means that it is valuable music.

- - -

but the experience really set me off thinking, and in fact I couldn't sleep well because of it. A lot of questions in my mind - - - for example, why is it that 25 people come to see Mohammed Antar play absolutely beautiful maqam music, and 1000 people are willing to pack themselves into the hall and even stand to see Shaheen play sing-a-long songs?

What is it that makes one group attract an audience, and another group not?

Is it only a question of commercial music vs. artistic music?

Or is there something else?

After more than 25 years as a professional musician, it sometimes feels like there is a big "point" that I have completely missed all along. . . . . .

MatthewW - 1-30-2009 at 09:01 AM

Dubai, katakofka,Edward, you guys make some really good points above and there is a lot to be said about musicians and their music (I hope I've understood the points you've made), how I see it- well I try to see it in terms of the times we now live in, the whole picture, like how the world is getting smaller via mass communication, how cultures and
their musics are ever changing and sharing concepts and ideas, in what ways audiences across the globe now listen to music and what they now like to hear or understand or even want from the music and the musicians they listen to.
OK, maybe Naseer played one way when he started out, but the man still plays a mean oud now in my opinion, and as katakofka points out, perhaps many musicians need to become a bit more commercial or whatever you want to call it in order to make a living and reach out to more people. This dosen't always mean that the music they create will be second rate, for a lot of excellent music has and is being made. music is not static, and it will change with the times, tastes and circumstances of each generation. A working musician needs to be aware of what is going on out there and try and adapt, but still play with skill, integrity, a good attitude and not 'sell out' too much. It's a fine line to walk.
I also think that audiences in different places listen to and perceive music differently now than perhaps how their fathers and grandfathers listened to and understood music. I think this is happeneing everwhere, including Arabic cultures.
Could it be that perhaps the younger generations don't want to sit through long deep serious oud playing performances where what is called tarab is built up (though this still goes on in the Arab world) or buy CDs of this sort of approach to music, or appreciate what is going on musically speaking?
:shrug: It seems that modern tastes, living, lifestyles, etc. are different and so a lot of modern oud playing reflects this. This must have an impact on some musicians who want to play 'seriously', but then see that their audiences prefer something different? There will always be musicians who will play for a specific audience, those who become more commercial and those who try to play the way the great oud or other instrument players of the past approched it.
To each their own. regards, MW

Edward Powell - 1-30-2009 at 09:35 AM

To each, his own! Exactly!

I think that for me, when I am in countrys where I "know" the scene, I know what I like and dont like, and I know what is commercial and I know what is serious - - so I am not at all bothered because in my little familiar universe, everything has its own place - - -

But in Egypt, everything is still unfamiliar, and sometimes surprising and shocking - - - like last night... going to a concert, standing in line waiting for ages.... etc etc etc and expecting some serious oud playing, but only to meet with some light pop... it was just a wierd and unpleasant surprise!

But that is what is great about travelling, and I regret nothing - - - really got me thinking about these things.

Thanks Matt!

katakofka - 1-30-2009 at 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by suz_i_dil
By the way, if you are looking for the old school style, try to meet with the brother of Mohammed Antar. I loose a bit contact with him and didn't know if he is back in Egypt...But pretty sure you will enjoy if you listen to him

Suz, do you consider the style of Nasser shamma a new school in opposite to the traditional, old school?:) I don't agree:). Nasser developed the style of Jamil Bashir and Jamil Bashir is considered old school too but was neglected. Now there is a reason why it was neglected, i guess it's due to the fact that Jamil tried to play a guitar style on the Oud. It was neglected because I presume that Farid el atrashe style, al sombati, el kasabji style took over and become what we call the old school. Why they took over? :) I guess it's due to the fact that it's authentic music that people liked more than playing western music on the Oud. By the way I don't know why the Bashir's family are doing such thing. Look to Omar bashir, flamenco Oud! Is it playing Oud like a guitar considered modern music?:) Modern, as I see it, is going back to your authentic music and make new things that emerge from authenticity, from what we are from what is our heritage.
Instrumental music is different from music having words, like a song for example, by which the words makes part in the music expression. Instrumental music is a way of expression by itself that should be at least authentic.
When I listen to some work of Jamil bashir I directly think about spanish and coarse music such as Al Solenzara
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55U0YwNlguQ
Compare to
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJWlWvRzFB8
or
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVSTPQTziRI

I'll leave for you the verdict:)

suz_i_dil - 1-30-2009 at 11:49 AM

A verdict?...I won't assume such responsability:)

yes, that is what I was meaning by old school style...but definitely not what I think about.
Actually I used "old school" as a common understood and general definition, the one I often heard about this style.
But I join, I think, your global opinion about.
I find some authenticity in the way of playing from Naseer Shamma and love this way to develop new ways from the classical style. This is just another kind of developpement of a traditionnal heritage.

Sure "old school" doesn't mean much.
And finally...el Qassabji was very modern regarding to Zeryab way of playing.
So were is the old school?
Just remember that the technic Naseer Shamma took to play with finger, without risha, like in flamenco and classical guitar, is inspired from the technic describe in old manuscript about oud. Long long before those great egyptian players.
So I'll take care to words... now I will call now Naseer Shamma style the "antique style" ;)

Edward Powell - 1-30-2009 at 01:16 PM

:xtreme:
Rock on JAMIL!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kY26CkGvuo&NR=1

:))

- - -

trying to get the last JT+MG clips up but experiencing technical difficulties...

- - -

had an interesting experience tonight at the National Theatre where the oud player (ensemble leader) had a fight with the violin player - RIGHT ON STAGE!!!

I will post this in a few minutes...

Edward Powell - 1-30-2009 at 02:12 PM

I was at a concert tonight at the National Theatre... classical Arabic music is almost completely dead in Egypt although Oum Kalsoum recordings can still be hear everywhere. But as a performing art, it is dead.... if it was not for large government funding it would not exist in concert form - is my guess.

...what happened tonight, in my opinion, really shows this deterioration very vividly.

The orchestra leader was an Iraqi oud player/composer visiting Cairo to present his works. It seems the orchestra did not learn his pieces properly, and half way thru the 7th piece, he stopped the orchestra and screamed at the violin section..... as you can see on the video.

He later told the audience (before he was cut-off by the theatre security) that there was a conspiracy against him to make him look bad...

I watched the whole thing and could see that the orchestra was honestly struggling with unfamiliar music, and for sure not purposefully blundering... it is obvious that they just didn't work hard on his music - and why should they when only 20 people show up for the gig??

Classical music is dead in Cairo --- if it exists then it is only when they play famous pop-classics from the past... and even then they struggle to get an audience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALqGKXOgG34

katakofka - 1-30-2009 at 04:59 PM

suz, I am more talking about Nasser the composer, the music composer rather than Nasser the oud technician or jamil the technician. No doubt they are good technicians both, but I am not sure about their music.
Here is a question: what would you guess the popular memory would keep from Nasser's work? very few I assume but my gut feeling the piece that would prevail would be "hilaal assaba":). Popular memory would select over time similar to what is selected from the previous area. Why do we hear lot of baligh hamdy's bayaati and siga songs these days?:) Popular memory selected them.

katakofka - 1-30-2009 at 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Edward Powell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALqGKXOgG34

For a while I thought that Saddam Huseen is on stage. Unbelievable ! The cello player left the scene too at the end of the clip:(

Jameel - 1-30-2009 at 08:18 PM

What a great thread and great videos Edward! I'm really enjoying listening as I write. Your own personal oud summit. Ah, we all need to bring these guys together in one place for an American oud conference. I've been here at Mike's forum since day one, and your contribution is one of the best Edward. Thanks for taking all the time to take the video, edit, and upload it. As well as your commentary. Glad you are having a blast in Egypt. Music brings people together. And that's a good thing. :buttrock:

Edward Powell - 1-31-2009 at 01:27 AM

...thanks Jameel!

Kata, the cello player was arguing with the drummer on stage also earlier in the performance - this was a strange evening. I was talking to a regular concert goer afterwards who said that he has never seen anything like this before (so it was very unusual).

by the way, the other cello player was Oum Kalsoum's long-term cello player. Wow, that guy sure has seen the changing of the tide of Arab classical music in Cairo.

--- I will also add my own opinion about when I hear chords on an oud. Somehow I find it a bit depressing. I am not sure exactly why - and need to look deep in myself for the real answer. First, I think that an oud is designed to play modal music, not chordal music --- it is really not suited to chords, so they can sometimes sound out-of-tune. The other thing is that I was originally a guitar player and for many years went very much into chords. You know chord music on guitar has become a VERY highly developed thing... but on oud, what you hear them playing are the most fundamental major/minor triads --- essential the most boring and irritating chords possible. It is a struggle enough just to get those chords intune, nobody will risk playing BeBop chords for example., or any kind of more colourful chords like 9ths, 13th, and polytonal things - which sound so beautiful on a guitar. [on the other hand I find it equally irritating when fretted guitarists try to play maqam...]

Secondly, for me, the beauty of oud is it's ability to play microtones - so why 'flatten' those out with chordal playing?

On the incredibly rare occation I have hear chordal oud playing that appealled to my ears - so it seems it really is possible... but my guess is that it will be a long time before something really interesting comes out of this way of playing oud.... but maybe it will not be so long, because just go the the OUDHOUSE and you will see droves of young oud players there intermixing maqam with chords (usually nahawand with C minor - SURPRISE!?)

My favourite of the common maqams is SIKAH. This maqam for me really catches the mood of Arabic music - but what chord are you going to play under that, and still maintain the SIKAH feeling??

...goodbye maqam
...goodbye Arabic music

I am not saying there is anything wrong with taking good ideas from other instruments and other musical cultures (this is what I am doing my whole life)... I am only saying that this ought to be done with a lot of intelligent pre-though and even logic. But what seems to be the prevalent attitude at the moment is that just to take anything Western and fit in into the music somehow, is always a "cool" thing.

Edward Powell - 1-31-2009 at 03:50 AM

Back to JT and MeG

clip 4 is now up!

here are the links... 1 thru 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWn2ysvVUZU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9TV_3Z6-40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfpnG2Q3xxQ

Edward Powell - 1-31-2009 at 05:47 AM

Just another thought struck me, on the topic of 'chordal oud playing' becoming oud-mainstream...

I didn't realise that Jamil Bashir had developed this angle so long ago - and interesting that at that time it didn't catch on... and yes now, of course there is Omar Bashir's flamenco oud...

But anyway, back to Cairo, I can now see the long line stretching from the past and into the future:
Starting with Jamil Bashir --- next came Naseer Shamma --- now Hazem Shaheen --- soon upcoming Abouzekri --- and when you go to the OUDHOUSE Sat, Mon, or Wednesday you will see the next chordal oud-star - I don't know his name but he is a 13 year old boy playing already very very well. When I first met him I sat beside him and listened for a while as he played some nahawand composition. Then he began noodling around, and sure enough out came the chords.... major triads chromatically up and down the neck -- out of tune of course... 13 years old - clearly not really thinking about what he is doing. . . just mechanically practicing over and over and over all the things his teacher is giving him. He will be the next Abouzekri, who will be the next Shaheen, who will be the next Shamma, who is the next Bashir.......

please take me with a grain of salt:rolleyes: All due respect to these fine, hardworking, and well deserving oud players.

katakofka - 1-31-2009 at 08:56 AM

Edward: of note is that chord playing on oud was exploited mainly with the turikish Master al-sharif muhyi addyyn haydar (in Turkey muhyi addyn targan) who established the music national school in Iraq in 1936. Jamil bashir was one of his first student on oud.
I guess you lived or passed by Turkey trying to get knowledge regarding their music.Could you tell to what extend Muhyi addyyn targan is appreciated in Turkey? If one wants to compare the prevalence of Targan and Cinuçen Tanrıkorur which one is the dominant in turkish ud style music? I am assuming Cinuçen Tanrıkorur, right?

suz_i_dil - 1-31-2009 at 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by katakofka
suz, I am more talking about Nasser the composer, the music composer rather than Nasser the oud technician or jamil the technician. No doubt they are good technicians both, but I am not sure about their music.

Indeed in my post I was mainly speaking of old kind of technic. But in the music also I find this old heritage I was talking about. Then it is very subjective matter...what will stay in next generation, really I don't have an idea about. Maybe some melodies but again in a new way of developpement around.
I find the style of Naseer more near from this heritage, and actually I'm not too fond of the style of the bashir family, or at least for the kind of pieces you were talking about.

About Serif Muhittin Targan, here is a great CD , interpretations from an ensemble of saz semai from this composer but also other kind of composition like caprice or the dance we were talking about.

http://www.tulumba.com/storeItem.asp?ic=MU900586GG649

Edward Powell - 1-31-2009 at 09:29 AM

I lived in Istanbul for a year and was just blown away by the level of the young oud players and oud playing and musicianship, and musicianship in general in Turkey. And all of that with very little trace of the STAR SYSTEM... and even the STARS are very relaxed people who all have time to hang around and chat and play --- I was totally impressed!

In my research I did not trace back to the previous generation too much. My favourite oud player of all time is YORGO BACANOS. Of course I love Cinucen - who is the teacher of my teacher (Necati Celik, who sounds very much like Cinucen).

My impression is that Targan is respected for being a great technical player but one that produced rather cool music, and was perhaps overly Westernised. I was not attracted by what I heard from him so I didn't persue that line of research.

It is only since coming here to Cairo that I find out the "Iraqi-style" is actually Turkish style introduced by Targan in Bagdad, and before that there was not much oud in Iraq...

But to answer your question about contemporary Turkish oud style... sure they are using some chordal things, and some double-stops etc., but only a little, and they have a way to fit it tastefully into the Turkish feeling. In contrast, what is going on in Cairo currently really seems like guitar-playing-on-oud.

So I guess the line stretching back ought to include Targan before Jamil.

Edward Powell - 1-31-2009 at 10:04 AM

Quote:
Edward: of note is that chord playing on oud was exploited mainly with the turikish Master al-sharif muhyi addyyn haydar (in Turkey muhyi addyn targan) who established the music national school in Iraq in 1936. Jamil bashir was one of his first student on oud.
I guess you lived or passed by Turkey trying to get knowledge regarding their music.Could you tell to what extend Muhyi addyyn targan is appreciated in Turkey? If one wants to compare the prevalence of Targan and Cinuçen Tanrıkorur which one is the dominant in turkish ud style music? I am assuming Cinuçen Tanrıkorur, right?

would you be able to point out any clips of someone other than jamil who plays in targan style (actually jamil is NOT targan style is he? even though he studied with targan)---

and some clips other than necati or cinucen who are playing cinucan style?

now, who's style is yurdal's derivative of?

there is a kind of 'old school' turkish style - which elgin kiziley plays (one of my favourite players although everyone badmouths him) - - - do you know what I mean about this turkish old school? You dont hear it too much in turkey anymore - but I love it! To my ears it is neither cinucen nor targan--- nor yorgo. . . if you or anyone know what i am talking about, i wonder if we could trace that style back somehow?

katakofka - 1-31-2009 at 10:30 AM

Quote:

would you be able to point out any clips of someone other than jamil who plays in targan style (actually jamil is NOT targan style is he? even though he studied with targan)---

Right, jamil tried to do something new but you see Targan in Jamil's compostion, such as the caprice written by jamil. The high pitch scale playing in that caprice is from Targan technical development.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SJUevDfpHk&feature=related
This piece has a major impact especially on the style of Nasser shamma and followers.
Regarding the turkish issues you're mentioning I have little knowledge regarding oud or music school in turkey. Thanks to the youtube I am learning a lot!

katakofka - 1-31-2009 at 10:43 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16GDjKRDKlA&NR=1
:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhh6m9Hd4P0&feature=related
Raed Khoshaba, iraqi player, playing Targan, "the dancing child". Played also by Nasser shamma in here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uyy3bMJuZ0&feature=related

Edward Powell - 1-31-2009 at 10:57 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Right, jamil tried to do something new but you see Targan in Jamil's compostion, such as the caprice written by jamil. The high pitch scale playing in that caprice is from Targan technical development.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SJUevDfpHk&feature=related
This piece has a major impact especially on the style of Nasser shamma and followers.
Regarding the turkish issues you're mentioning I have little knowledge regarding oud or music school in turkey. Thanks to the youtube I am learning a lot!

Yes... so now I am beginning to see where it all comes from. Just to inject my own opinion here (which is already obvious) - this is a direction of oud playing that doesn't touch me at all on an emotional level. I remember well the first time I heard the oud - it was a Syrian player playing old style taqasim... ripped my heart right out and I immediately knew I would learn that instrument... I think it had a lot to do with the microtones. What irritates me about this Jamil style is the total absense of microtones. It is almost like they decided that the microtones were primative or rough - perhaps because europeans had rejected them....?

Having said all of that, Jamil was the second oud player I ever heard - he was playing Huseini taksim and that also blew me away-----

Edward Powell - 1-31-2009 at 11:13 AM

This is all really so fascinating... the oud's history, and the development of all these different styles.

I really didn't realise that in fact most of it originated in Turkey. That the Turks brought oud and makam system with their Ottoman empire to the Arab world including Iraq. I have thought that it was the reverse... that the thing originated perhaps in Iraq and went West to Egypt and north-west to Turkey. So in fact "Iraqi-style" is actually Targan's Turkish style...

I am curious how the Egyptian style developed. The microtonal placement and maqam system is clear. But I wonder about this Egyptian stylistic thing with the fast right-hand risha tremolo - - - where did this come from? The Turks don't do it - - - - but the Persians do this LIKE CRAZY! It sounds to me like this is a Persian influence that somehow leapfrogged over Iraq to Egypt and Syria!!!!!??

Edward Powell - 1-31-2009 at 11:29 AM

...just another side thought...

you asked if in Turkey nowadays they are playing Targan or Cinucen style mostly...

I can say that I had never even heard targan's name until one night in Istanbul I went to a concert which was in memorium to this man Targan. They had several oud players perform supposedly in Targan's style. Well, this style didn't sound anything at all like the style i had grown accustomed to hearing and LOVING in Istanbul.

My guess is that Targan left Turkey to open the school in Iraqi in 1936... and with him he took his style, and implanted it in Iraq (leaving the Turks to be influenced by Cinucen and Yorgos). Now this Targan influence has left Iraq and has now been implanted in Egypt via Shamma.

SamirCanada - 1-31-2009 at 11:31 AM

Dont forget about the influence the music coming from of Syria, Lebanon, Palestine and Jordan

I dont have much time to elaborate my ideas right now. I hope to pitch in a bit latter.

I just wanted to say that this thread is fascinating! Keep it up fellas.

katakofka - 1-31-2009 at 11:35 AM

It might be misleading taking targan as the only influence in Iraq. I don't think it's true and this brings me to the other issue: the turk developed a lot the middle eastern music since they govern the arab world for 500 years. But before that in the arab world, iraq, syria, lebanon..etc, there was something highly developed that I guess the turk took and arrange on their way. During the Omayyiyyin and the abbasiid area, this is before the turkish domination, arabs developed many...just think about the Mouwashahaat, that are related to the abbasid area (baghdad was their capital).
What's happening now does not really reflect the historical truth. Colonisation, western and turkish, had a major impact on the arabic cutlure including the music. The problem you are facing in egypt is that there is no government policy to let the egyptian arabic style prevail. You don't see what you might have seen in Turkey where they preserve a lot their own culture and style in music. It might explain why Cunecen is more appreciated in Turkey more that targan, because the former is more close to the Turkish culture, more authentic.

Edward Powell - 1-31-2009 at 11:59 AM

please Sami... pitch in when you have time - - -
oooops... looks like i need another trip! to syria etc :-)

Yes, Kata, you are hitting it on the head it seems.
...and yes the Turks are very patriotic, whereas patriotism seems not to exist in egypt - - - - afterall, what IS an egyptian?? seems a big collection of diverse peoples (as does Turkey but to a lesser degree).

MatthewW - 1-31-2009 at 01:27 PM

hi guys, very interesting and informative. I wonder if your in- depth and rather academic exchanges and opinions on the historical and contemporary influences within and without turkish/egyptian/Arabic/islamic oud musics might be better suited to a separate thread, where others can join in and/or just read and so let it roll on?
This discussion seems to be taking on a life of its own!
cheers, MW

katakofka - 1-31-2009 at 02:09 PM

Quote:

I really didn't realise that in fact most of it originated in Turkey. That the Turks brought oud and makam system with their Ottoman empire to the Arab world including Iraq. I have thought that it was the reverse... that the thing originated perhaps in Iraq and went West to Egypt and north-west to Turkey. So in fact "Iraqi-style" is actually Targan's Turkish style...

I am back to that point because I felt I mislead you :) A huge reference about arabic music before the ottoman empire is the book of "al aghaani" for "abu el faraj al asfahaani" that we must mention. This is a large volume about 1000 pages describing in details, rythm and makaams and many others issues related to music. This was during the abbasid area. take a look if you're interrested http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abbasid. What you had in mind was true tho :)
Before the islamic empires, jews and christians in the middle east have developed some sorts of makams in their religious cultures but they were simple makams in opposite to the composed makams that we found in the Islamic and turkish culture. They were basically 3 to 4 notes including of course many quarter and microtones. Some ethnomusicologists have proposed that in the middle east people are still using the same music since ages after discovering the simple makams that became afterward composed makams.

katakofka - 1-31-2009 at 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MatthewW
hi guys, very interesting and informative. I wonder if your in- depth and rather academic exchanges and opinions on the historical and contemporary influences within and without turkish/egyptian/Arabic/islamic oud musics might be better suited to a separate thread, where others can join in and/or just read and so let it roll on?
This discussion seems to be taking on a life of its own!
cheers, MW

I'll leave that for Edward:)

Edward Powell - 1-31-2009 at 02:54 PM

probably for me right now I am cairo-centered, and this discussion - at least for me - is aimed at understanding the roots of the egyptian style of oud playing... it all seems to fit in with the general topic of this thread.

but I am not against another thread popping up to discuss these things - - - why not?!

another arguement for keeping it all in one place - for selfish reasons - is that I am experiencing a grand education here, and a kind of metamorphasis... and having a place to jot down my reflections, questions, and discoveries - it can be interesting to look back after it is over and see how 3 months in Cairo can really transform one's "oud-life".

But I see the point that there starts to be a LOT of stuff in this thread and might end up being sort of "hidden" from those casually browsing the index. . . . .

so let's just let things go as they go... I will keep checking the general posts for interesting things...

Edward Powell - 1-31-2009 at 03:11 PM

Quote:
Quote:

hmmmmm..... this is all very very interesting. We will all be ethnomusicologists before this is thru:buttrock:

could not connect with WIKI for that reference book - - - pity, that sound amazing.

so, what I am now getting is that makams did not ORIGINATE in Turkey [anyway, it is also clear that some maqams are clearly Arabic maqams since they are not found in the Turkish system - and vise versa)... but what perhaps you are saying is that the concept and practice of the "sophisticated/complex/composed" makam is coming from Turkey (and perhaps it came TO Turkey from Persia?? A whole new topic - - - and something else I am both curious and ignorant about... IS THE REAL ROOT OF THIS MUSIC (meaning: the sophisticated makam, not the simple folk makam) if fact coming from Persia??]

...later I would like to explore the topic of how makam (probably via the Persian dashgah) influenced the north Indian raga system and vise versa...

I am back to that point because I felt I mislead you :) A huge reference about arabic music before the ottoman empire is the book of "al aghaani" for "abu el faraj al asfahaani" that we must mention. This is a large volume about 1000 pages describing in details, rythm and makaams and many others issues related to music. This was during the abbasid area. take a look if you're interrested http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abbasid. What you had in mind was true tho :)
Before the islamic empires, jews and christians in the middle east have developed some sorts of makams in their religious cultures but they were simple makams in opposite to the composed makams that we found in the Islamic and turkish culture. They were basically 3 to 4 notes including of course many quarter and microtones. Some ethnomusicologists have proposed that in the middle east people are still using the same music since ages after discovering the simple makams that became afterward composed makams.

katakofka - 1-31-2009 at 03:50 PM

Edward: the book I mentioned, in which the essence of arabic music is described, is for abu al faraj al asfahaani. Asfahani means that he's from Asfahan, persia, iran :). Definitely the islamic empire took from the Persian culture. Like any other invaders, islamic or turkish didn't build from scratch. They used what existed, what they found in place, then they arranged, created new ways, which became afterward their own way.
One place that you should visit during your quest and to have a clear picture is Iran, a mysterious, extremely cultural rich place.

Edward Powell - 2-1-2009 at 02:16 AM

Yes... of course! Being reminded of the history and all of the empires clarifies it a lot. Obviously the empire stimulates mass shifts and movements of people and particular "perfered" cultural idioms - - - just as today the American "empire" is moving, not necessarily people, but "prefered" culture to all corners of the globe.

Also the movement of slaves from Africa to America caused an astonishing development in the music.

So.... sure, before every empire there existed a developed music. Let's trace it back:

-now: American empire
-last 100 years: European empires
-500 years: Turkish empire
-700: Arab (Saudi) Islamic empire
-??? now I'm lost ??? too lazy to look it up... ROMAN
--???BYZANTINE
--???GREEK (Alexander)
--???and of course the PERSIAN EMPIRE.
- - -even further back were empires in mesopotania and egypt, but these did not expand too much i think

I remember my friend (and great tombak player) Pedram from iran talking about how the Arabs came to Persian and F***ed up everything. Persians consider the Arabs very primative and rough in most respects (or am I wrong??). Pedram at least greatly resented his country having Islam imposes on it - saying that Islam has only brought restriction and conflicts - and that original Persian culture has nothing to do with Islam.

But anyway, getting back to trying to understand where Egyptian oud style comes from, yes, obviously before the Ottoman Empire was the Arab Islamic empire and perhaps during this empire the cultural exchange went more in REVERSE. Since for sure the Persian had a more highly developed culture than the Bedouin Arabs, the Arabs probably TOOK the Persian culture rather than the other way around.

In fact, what I heard is that originally the oud came from Persian, and in Persia it is called BARBAT. So appearantly during the Arab empire the Arabs discovered this cool instrument call the Barbat and took it home and adapted it a bit into the first oud. So in fact maybe the oud actually did exist in Arabia before Turkey? Or probably what happened is that the oud was taken from Persia and then spread around throughout the entire Islamic empire during it's reign. ---and of course, it seems likely that this right hand fast risha tremolo probably came directly with it! ---but interesting that the Turks rejected this tremolo technique.

Ararat66 - 2-1-2009 at 02:28 AM

Hi Edward

I would second Katakofka's view of Iran. I went many times as a child up till the revolution in 1979, it is where my mother was born - she is Armenian. I loved going there, and the friendliness and wicked humour of that region. It is a very particular place, little known but hugely influencial. It is also has some of the most beautiful landscapes on earth, and astonishing architecture (although the modern concrete creations only serve to emphasise the wisdom of the ancients!!).

Below the political surface is a poetic and witty cultural beauty that I think has deep and ancient roots, embedded in the landscape and the stars that are so bright away from the cities.

There are interesting leaps in the musical influence - there are strong connections with Armenian music, particularly the slower soulful minatures you may have heard on Duduk, and also the really wild Azeri dance music. You mentioned the 'way out' playing that certain obscure maqams open up earlier - well you should hear some of this stuff!! Once you become attuned to it it makes perfect sense.

The link to raga is really easy to hear also, and Afghanistan which borders Iran to the east forms another musical step to India.

BUT - you are in EGYPT ... haha I almost forgot. As my Buddhist teachers used to advise, enjoy the place you are in for you have everthing you will ever need right now;)

Leon

Edward Powell - 2-1-2009 at 03:39 AM

Hi Leon

Yes... you have been reading my thinking! ...actually in the last while I have been enjoying myself so much and especially the contact with cultures I've never before contacted directly - it has inspired me to travel further.

At the moment, with my visa situation in the EU (where I "live"), means that every 3 months I MUST leave the EU for 3 months before they will let me back in and "home" again... since I currently "live" with my girlfriend in Czech. So until I can resolve my residency there, and as long as I still have a few bucks, I simply MUST travel --- or go back to Canada.

I am pulled in two possible directions:
-either Africa
-or Persia

either to go South and inject my musical experience with GROOVE!
or East, and continue to explore refinements in sophisticated MELODY.

Probably I am not yet ready for Africa, or maybe it is not yet ready for me. My feeling is that I might want to wait for it to develop and rejuvinate a bit more--- I know there are some music school just starting up across Africa (Mali in particular)... and maybe it needs more time...

...also maybe I feel like my "makam quest" is not yet finished and Iran is probably the major mystery link. . . . afterall, my own music now is a marriage btw raga and makam, so it is clear that there is a black hole in the middle - Persian dashgah!

One thing has confused me... ok, there is a clear division btw north and south Indian music, and the reason is that the south was not affected by the invasions from the west. Now they never say concretely who was invading india from the west - usually they just say 'central asian arians'... so I guess this means Persian, Turkmens, Afghans... etc... but probably mostly Persian.

On the other hand we hear that in India before the 250 years of British rule, there was 450 years of Moghul rule. So who are these Moghuls --- supposedly these are the 'central asians'. So I am guessing that what we are talking about is the HUNS (who went as far as HUNgary and orginated that race there) --- you know, those incredibly violent tribe from Mongolia!

So perhaps the Mongolian first took over Persia, and then came down to North India....? ok, I'm confused. . . .:)) but starting to get the picture.

Musically we can see the difference btw north and south Indian music. Carnatic (south) is very composed and bouncy and a bit light, whereas Hindustani music is much more improvised and often very slow and contemplative (probably THIS is the Persian influence) --- well..... TAR, SETAR, SITAR, RABAB, SAROD... hey, the connection is OBVIOUS!

Of course, about 150 years ago in the region Indian music and culture was considered the highest thing and therefore one King imported from India to Afghanistan hundreds of Indian musicians and teachers and set it all up in Kabul. This is why when you go now to Kabul and check out how they play - actually what you see is what Indian music was like 150 years ago, because after it was imported there, it was cut off from it's source and therefore stopped developing - - -

----but getting back to the other thing I'm confused about. When you look at the map, the entire region from Egypt to India is connected... but in terms of music, although clearly there is an obvious connection btw Iran and India, still the connection btw Egypt and Iran is much stronger. Many of the maqams and dashgah are just the same... humayun, mahur, rast.... etc etc etc.

So where is this breaking point on the map? Where is the line, or the region which divides these two worlds: the Raga world, and the Makam world?

From what you just wrote you imply that Persian music is great influenced by either Armenia or Azeri.. We know that Afghans and central asians always had music but these are mountain lands and the indiginous music is more simply and folky --- again, SIMPLE MAKAMS as opposed to "composed classical" makams.

So what I am hearing is that perhaps the classical source of Persian music is coming from the north-west region - and somewhat divorced from the south-east of Iran??

This would explain a lot! Because otherwise, if in the southeast of iran is an old and very rich classical music culture - then it is hard to see how this would not have mixed more with indian music since they are close geographically.

The problem is actually that modern political maps are very inaccurate in terms of cultural representation! Can you imagine, if you know very little about the Soviet Union, or Russia, and just looked at a map to try to figure out what are the influence on Russian culture??? Of course, Russia is a totally 'lop-sided' country (as are most countys)... with the focal point being the capital city way over to the West. Same thing with Canada! NOTHING is happening in the north... but look at a map and the ingorant person has not way of knowing this.

So this is way I have always been confused about Iran.

My guess is that the fine art culture is centered in the north west, and the south east is mostly desert and therefore inhibited exchange with India. . . .

I gotta go there and find these things out.

Just another side note - - - one time while hanging out the Ross Daly one day at his museum on Crete, I asked him if he regrets now having this museum and school to take care of and if he would like to travel again WHERE WOULD HE GO. He immediately said that the only place he would now really like to go would be to Azerbaijan.

Edward Powell - 2-1-2009 at 03:49 AM

ok... seems I answered my own question... looking at a map of Iran we can see that most of the cities are huddled in the northwest, as I was guessing. Not much happening in the southeast. East of Esfahan looks pretty unpopulated... so it seems that this region between Esfahan and Lahore is the BIG GAP between raga-land and makam-land. I guess there is a big desert there. . . . . . ?

yes... looking at a map now I can see it clearly. The east of Iran is only desert and there are very few towns there. Afghanistan is full of mountains... so in fact there is a vast region between India and Iran which seems for the most part uninhabited impassible (at least in the old days) - so THIS is that gap.

Now looking again at the middle-east on the map ("makam-land") in fact it makes a very nice circle from Cairo, to Istanbul, around to Armenia, then western Iran - down thru Iraq, Saudi etc. It is a nice little circle, very much removed geographically from India, which is it's own little circle!

guess that is why we call it the MIDDLE EAST! ...and the FAR EAST. ...although the term "far east" include a much larger and less specified area.

Ararat66 - 2-1-2009 at 07:23 AM

Hi Ed

I wasn't really implying that Persian music was influenced by Armenian and Azeri music but that these flavours can be heard in al three types, and by extension these types of threads of influence mean that you tend to get centres of musicality crystalising strongly or weakly in different places.

You ought to listen to Chechen and Ingush music if you get chance if you are interested in getting a sense of musical gradation across the Caucausus from Turkey, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Iran (and all the others!!), over to Russia.

You may well find that particularly in mountainous places you get huge differences from one series of valleys to another, and that the incluences go down river and mix in the plains. The area of transcaucasia, Northern Iran, Eastern Turkey and Northern Syria are very mountainous and similar in geography to the area of what is now Northern Pakistan from where it is widely accepted that the roots of Vedanta grew and eventually spread its influence far west, East and particularly South, forming the basis from which Budhism, Hinduism, Jainism etc flourished.

I'm no historian, so this is just a sense of what I have picked up from travels and yoga practice etc, but I know that trying to categorize influences becomes very quickly impossible - but there are definate nodal points where the confluence of influence and circumstance cause distinctive (musical) cultures to be expressed.

This is one interesting thread

Thanks for letting the cat out of the bag
:xtreme:
Leon

Edward Powell - 2-1-2009 at 02:46 PM

Hi Leon...

I am going to check out the music from Caucasia as you suggest - I know nothing from there!! Nothing! ...and I should, being a "caucasian"!

Before I talk about what happened today I want to mention that I was with my French friend Frank today - he is a great guy, nay student, very good musician, intelligent. I was with Frank at the H. Shaheen concert - the one that I walked out of half way thru. So to be objective and fair to Hazem I should mention that Frank thought Hazem's concert was fantastic! He loved the music. ...so there you go... everything is just a matter of taste and opinion.

Today I was with Antar... and was discussing all this history and origins of influences. He corrected me in that the Islamic Empire was 1400 years ago - not 700 years ago - - - I got confused because it STARTED IN 700AD.

Antar does not think that the Arabic fast risha tremolo comes from Persian influence - he thinks it comes from Africa and also from Andalusian influences. He said that before 1930 nobody was doing the fast tremolo in Egypt.

We were talking about ZIRYAB... it seems that Ziryab (950 years ago) was a brilliant student of the most prominent musician in Persia at the time. Ziryab was a great oud player, however he decided that he was fed up with quartertones (komas etc), and wanted to make the music a 12 tone music (like the way Indian music is today--- 12 tones JUST INTONATION... not 12 tone equaltemperament like the piano). However his grand teacher did not agree and wanted to keep the music full of microtones since the microtones are so characteristic of Persian music. So they met with the King and both the Kind and the Teacher agreed that if Ziryab continued to insist on doing away with microtones, then he music live in exile from Persia - so they sent him away.

Mostly Ziryab wanted to start putting frets on ouds, and develop music in this direction. So they sent him to Morocco and Spain... and he continued his musical efforts there which resulted in the first fretted lutes which became the first guitars - and of course the first Andalousian music.

- - -

Walking with Antar and Frank across the bridge to the Opera, we stopped for a while and enjoyed the view of the Nile. I began asking Antar about these influences from Iran etc... he said that of course the music of Iran is happening in the West part of the country and there is not much going on in the east... We then talked about these differences in TERMINOLOGY... for ex. Makam, Maqam, Mugam, Dash-gah.... etc. Antar said that they all mean the same thing. He also said that in fact the letter Q ought to be pronounced G... and therefore maqam = mugam... He said also that the Iranians changed to name of makam to dash-gah simply to be different, and try to distinguish themselves.

He said, if I remember correctly, that the original work for maqam was CHED (as in Chedaraban)... CHED appearantly means "the way of tuning".

Then after a few hundred years the word for maqam became DARB (as in DARBUKA) DARB means "to hit".

Then later maqams became maqams and the Persians began calling them Dash-gah.

- - -

Then we made our way to the Opera house and we met with a man who was to give a mansour nay to Frank. By chance we also met there a man who appearantly is the top and best classical singer in Egypt - Antar introduced us to him as such. The man, who was very humbly dressed, immediately agreed that he is the best singer in Egypt- and went on to tell me that the Ministry of culture is now building for him a school of vocal music along the lines of the ARABOUDHOUSE... this will be the HOUSE OF THE SONG... and will be much larger than the OUDHOUSE. He showed my many pictured on his mobile phone, and the place looks amazing - very near to OUDHOUSE also. He said that it will open in about 3 months time.

This man (I forget his name) went on to begin to tell and explain to me about the REAL system of the REAL Arabic classical orchestra music. He said that what is going on normally at the moment with what the state orchestras are doing is total nonsence.

He said there are 3 schools for presenting orchestra Arabic music:-
1- Tunisian school
2- Cairo school
3- Syrian school

He said the Cairo school (very similar to the Syrian school) is the most important, and the Tunisian school is totally different... I continued to question him since this topic fascinated me very much - - HOWEVER I WAS NOT REALLY THINKING ABOUT THE IMPLICATIONS OF WHAT HE WAS TALKING ABOUT... slowly I began to suspect that this man had some strange conceptions and ways of thinking in his mind - - I had not suspected anything previously since Antar had introduced him so highly...

but at this point Antar noticed my line of questioning, and quietly informed me that this man is one of those who is responsible for destroying the real Arabic music.

Because the concept of ORCHESTRA music is in fact the antithesis of what Arab music is all about! Orchestra presentation is something they borrowed from the West. The problem with Orchestration is that it work great for Western music because the beauty of Western music is in the HARMONY. The beauty of Eastern music is in the improvisation and in how a written melody is decorated. So an orchestra will greatly reduce the amount of improvisation and of course if you have 40 members of an orchestra all decorating a written melody as they like it would be a disaster... so the result of orchestrating arab music is to totally flatten and kill it.

I had thought this guy was talking about some ancient traditions but in fact what he was talking about were simply things which have developed in the past several decades! ...we with this made clear, we politedly terminated the conversation and moved on.......

JT - 2-1-2009 at 05:15 PM

Hello Edward,

Great to see you doing well in Cairo. Although, I dont like implicating myself in such discussions. I really really have to ask about source material here. There are many legends and stories. And to say Zeryab, a man that lived so long ago wanted to make music 12 tone blah blah etc, is a bit absurd if its not backed up by historical source material. There is legend he was killed because he wouldnt play the Kings oud which was far inferior to his..this is legend of a great musician. But to really state the above really has to be backed up. This is cafe music talk.

This brings me to a topic which Ive written. In my university honours thesis I wrote a paper called "Conservatism, Western Influences and Contradiction". I am willing to get hammered for this I guess...please dont :)

But Arabic musicians love to talk. They are always unhappy with something and fair enough with alot of the pop music that doesnt agree with the past. The fact of the matter is, its what suits the musician you're talking too. I dont see the music now as garbage, the inhabitants are different people, different lives, different economy and music has always been a reflection of the time we live in. Im not against the music of today, but it is a representation of our time. Also, alot of the stuff that is happening is because the people incharge give power to those that are not suitable, and that is also an issue. The Oud House for instance is not run by an Egyptian oud player which I find is odd. But I would think if you want to teach Egyptian oud, you would imply an Egyptian to do this, no? (I have nothing against Oustaz Nasseer, dont get me wrong)

Their are pros and cons to everything I guess.
We cant even really classify the term 'classical'. This to some people is samai' etc to others its "Oum Kalsoum" (love you Souma!), to others its "Mouwashahat". I personally think there is no definition. The definition has been lost, not the music. Orchestral Arabic music, already there is an issue. Although I love Arabic orchestras of today, really in the past they didnt exist. A takht existed, 2-5 musicians, this grew and became grander and grander and now its a different way of presenting music. So I dont think theres a right way...most of them have keyboards and electric guitar aswell, Im sure these didnt exist at time of Ziryab or before 1930 for that matter.

But the other issue is these musicians who claim to be purist (Im picking on no one, this is general), have alot of contradiction. Alot will say the state of classical music is doomed and when they get on the stage play music that is not really classical, or there taqasim will include a blues scale or something not Eastern to crowd please or to show they listen to other music. They will play the favourites. If it really comes down to it forms like Longa are not traditional arabic, but its a form that has made its way through.
There is no practice what you preach in Egypt. Music constantly evolves, if its for the good or bad, thats not for me to say, But this hypocricy has to be addressed. Its something that really confuses me when I talk with musicians in Egypt. I think to be a well rounded musician you have to listen alot and by listening, you cant help but be inspired by others and other musics. This is a good thing. The way I see it music is a language. If you play the oud (as an example) you're having a conversation in Arabic and occassionaly you my put a few words or sentences in English, but this should no way dominate your taqasim. I only think this is a problem when you Start a taqasim in English and have a few words of Arabic.
You cant tell me the music we hear today or heard on recordings 80 years ago were like what Ziryab played, theres no proof of this. So all these musicians who write albums based on manuscripts they found centuries ago is all speculation, unfortuantely we will never know. Theres no music notation like the west, and unlike the west we really dont have a great guide for how the music sounded of the past. I think the closest we can get is Islamic or Christian chant from the area, and even within this it must have evolved.

I rememeber speaking to an oud player who was so patriotic about classical and dismissed Shammas way of playing, yet this is where he learnt. And when I went to his recital it was like listening to Shamma, so this confuses me. I asked him later, why are you learning with him then, he said because he has a good technique...Unfortunately these "classical" music authorities appoint themselves and everybody claims to have there own way, but really offer no solutions. Before we can look into the classical arabic music, we really have to define what is classical? I think this should be a conference. Then we can start discussing and talk about the deteriation of the music or evolution for some.

I think also, oud timbre is also a factor. Many of the Egyptian players play moveable bridge Iraqi style ouds. Playing a traditional Egyptian taqasim here, may already be dismissed by the purist as the oud timbral qualities and even appearance may not suit the solo. I have had this happen when I was with a friend who claims to be a real listener dismissed a solo for a young oud player which I deemed to have a really beautiful arabic phrasing, as 'not arabic' because he was playing an Iraqi style oud. So this is even a further issue to be discussed. Man, Im confused...

Things should and have to co-exist, infact they do. An artist should not forget the roots of the music but should be free to deliver what they like. You either eat from the food or not. You can go to a pop or rock concert or choose not too. Music is take it or leave it.
I for instance am an Australian oud player, my style is Australian. I love Egypt, I love my roots, I love the oud masters, but I think my style is the product of my environment. Im an Egyptian Australian oud player I guess:)
Musical environment is important, and this has to brought into account.

Music is for everybody. You can take it or leave. Offer solutions or not, theres way to much talk in general and unfortunately alot of it is a political problem or a rivalry between another musician. Musicians there have to survive like anywhere and have to offer what the audience wants in many ways.

Im confused writing this...:) Just dribble from me, but its cold here in Paris and this has warmed me up:) Im sorry Ive gone on this massive rant, I can delete it if you guys like? Maybe nothing is classical anymore?

Best regards,

JT

Edward Powell - 2-2-2009 at 01:57 AM

Hey Joe

Thanks for your time... this was a very enlightening rant:xtreme: more please!

There are many topics you have touched on - - just one of them, you ask: "what is classical?"
I remember having this conversation many times with Ross Daly... and he would always say that with Oriental music these terms classical/folk should be dropped because they are inaccurate. He suggested that they should be replaced with the terms URBAN/RURAL.

Ararat66 - 2-2-2009 at 02:00 AM

Hello Joe and Edward

Well I think Edward is on a quest and you don't pretend to know all the facts, It would be great if Michael Moussa could chip in, he has a really interesting knowledge of the development of the oud. Awad has footage of Michael's talk on this but it is probably too long to post.

I agree with your sentiment Joe, and was trying to express something of this when I said ...

'I'm no historian, so this is just a sense of what I have picked up from travels and yoga practice etc, but I know that trying to categorize influences becomes very quickly impossible - but there are definate nodal points where the confluence of influence and circumstance cause distinctive (musical) cultures to be expressed.'

The problem is that just as people can get racist and dogmatic about being 'British', 'Persian', 'Russian', 'French' and all te others, so the same root of fear can reflect in music. I think it is good for some to preserve and express particular forms of music but when they denigrate those that take a more eclectic approach (and vice versa), then it all goes pear shaped. What you said Joe about power and influence is really interesting.

I feel that what you are doing with this thread is to throw open your curiosity and obvious enthusiasm as to the myriad pathways that culture takes.

BTW I would imagine that the Egyptian use of fast tremelo seems more stylistically like an African and Andalusian influence - the Persian style is very different, much more repetitive and built up layer by layer into an overall patterned (like their carpets). There is also a Coptic influence in Egypt, and from my few conversations with Michael last year, this sounds pretty astonishing. He mentioned a form of liturgy of astonishing internal architecture that encapsulates all the nuances of a modal system very similar to Arabic maqam.

Last thing is that in the spirit of Joe's coments, I would say that one of the biggest challenges of learning to play oud has been one of cultural relevance to myself. I was drwn to it for obvious reasons of past familly roots but I grew up in the UK and have been into every type of music that there is, the UK is an amazing cultural melting pot - even though it is very cold and snowy at the moment;) I've played guitar for far longer than oud, and with guitar there is not the same difficulty because it has been expressed in such a varied range of styles ... imagine someone saying only 'classical' guitar style was the true way - you would just think they were nuts.

Hey Joe you are right it does warm you up - I'd just got in from taking the kids to school on their sledge!! Please don't delete your post, your thesis sounds interesting - maybe you could tell us more.

Thanks Edward for you creative openess.

Leon

MatthewW - 2-2-2009 at 05:21 AM

Hi all- very interesting thread, open to many interpretations, points of view, debates, etc.
one question put forward: So where is this breaking point on the map? Where is the line, or the region which divides these two worlds: the Raga world, and the Makam world?
My thoughts are that when we start to look at the wider picture then we need to consider the men and women of both the Indian raga and Maqam schools who traveled on to Spain and took their cultural and musical heritage with them. Andalucia, as Leon mentions with reference to tremelo, was definitely a great musical melting pot where the raga and maqam met and were explored. I think what went on in Spain many centuries ago was something of a musical breaking point whose influnce is apparent today in the playing of many oudies.
The historical exchanges on oud schools/styles/players of the past in this thread are very informative and helpful in understanding the musical links from the old to the new, from the past to the present.
I also agree totally with JT, that in our present day anyone should be able to play and express whatever they feel on the oud, to 'deliver what they like' as he puts it, whether 'old school maqam' or 'new world maqam/raga/jazz/ambiant/blues/mixed bag'; to let their heart and soul and a spirit of musical adventure guide their fingers, and then let the listener decide if it speaks to them. Easier said than done. JT is an oud player who I find is able to do this well. regards
MW

Edward Powell - 2-2-2009 at 06:17 AM

One thing I would like... if someone is able and willing, is to suggest some clips which accurately illustrate both:

1- music from the Caucaus region - (all I was able to find was a bunch of accordian music)

2- Andalucian music - (Matt suggests that there is a mix there of Raga and Makam, but in my own VERY limited exposure to that music it seemed to me that they had just flatted out all the microtones.... hense I hastily therefore decided that I didn't like it and sort of 'wrote it off' my list of interesting musics to persue. Maybe I need to reconsider that judgement?

MatthewW - 2-2-2009 at 08:57 AM

Quote:

2- Andalucian music - (Matt suggests that there is a mix there of Raga and Makam, but in my own VERY limited exposure to that music it seemed to me that they had just flatted out all the microtones.... hense I hastily therefore decided that I didn't like it and sort of 'wrote it off' my list of interesting musics to persue. Maybe I need to reconsider that judgement?

Hi Edward. I didn't actually use the word 'mix', but what I wished to convey was that the influences of Indian raga and maqam helped to shape the musics within Andalucia, and so to my mind Spain/Andalucia is a pretty good contender for that 'breaking point' you refer to. Flamenco ( with its rather flattened use of those microtones when played on the guitar, but still there in cante jondo) is the most obvious or commercial musical form to rise out of those influences, and which seems to be happily played in some manner or other by oudies, for better or for worse. ;)
I am not an ethno-musicoligist, but the music and instruments of Islam which entered India ( Turks and Persians during the Delhi sultanate, c.12th century) apparently made some impact there. We then find musicians migrating back and forth between Hindu and Muslim courts as the fortunes of local rajas and najabs went up and down. From there some migrated on to Andalucia, where those influences were shaped further and again travelled on.
On a more general note, to my ears I believe I hear influences of the raga within the maqam framework in some contemporary oud playing. Perhaps someone out there can add further musical references? cheers, MW

katakofka - 2-2-2009 at 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JT
Maybe nothing is classical anymore?
JT

It's true, so vague this word "classical". There is a general tendency about oud players, and this to avoid being "classical" they are insisting on 2 major scales, Nahwand and Ajam. However, when doing lot of Nahawand and Major scales in many cases the music generated resembles Western music, Tango, Spanish or flamenco. This is the general perception I am getting when I listen to players influenced by Bashir-Shamma's style. This was not the case of Farid Ghosn because he was always introducing during his flamenco oud microtones (usually in his flamenco you hear some bayaat or saba).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr-7975Ipl0
Classical, as I see it, is doing similar music or takasims to Alsombati, Farido, or al Asabji. These great names have worked on many makams having microtones. Just think about the Trademark Siga of Alsombati. Why these names have worked on Bayati, saba, Rast..etc. ? The essence of middle eastern, arabic music is based on microtones giving arabic music its characteristic. On the other hand, there is a general tendency claiming when playing microtones one cannot avoid being "classical" meaning doing similar music to Alsombati e.g.This is a totally false statement in my opinion.
My guess is to exploit to the extreme oriental makams (siga, bayati, rast, saba..etc) with unusual rythms. E.g, composing on bayati or Siga with a 7/8 mesures, or 5/4 or..etc. I am sure one can come with something new, "not classical" (2/4 or 4/4).

Listen carefully to this music composed by Ziad. It's a jazzy music but on bayaati. He makes the Guitar base playing quarter tones as well as the trombone. The music spans min 1:45 to 4:15 in the link below.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ3qYtfTGpo&feature=channel

Do you guys see this is oriental or western music ?

Edward Powell - 2-2-2009 at 01:10 PM

I would call this Western... but borrowing some microtones from the maqam. I really enjoyed this music, it is one of the best fusions I have seen, and in fact the only one I have heard that uses microtones... FINALLY!!!!! ...this is exactly the direction I think EastWest fusion could be doing a lot more of.

Makes me happy because I can see now that I am not just a cynical a...hole negative about all Western things:) ...I think there are so many great things from the West, but I get irritated when it seems that the fusions are so often just taking the worst elements from each culture, rather than the best - - - as we can see on this clip in my opinion...

THANKS!

MatthewW - 2-2-2009 at 03:53 PM

hi katakofka - I would also call this western music. What is interesting is that you will find that John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Jimmy Garrison ( bass),Pharoah Sanders and other jazz pioneers of the late 1950s -1960s also experimented with various forms of musical expression including modal and microtones- all done with western reed or brass instruments like sax, trumpet, trombone,upright fretless bass but they just didn't have an oud player in the line up! Ziad may have even been inspired by those guys.:cool:

katakofka - 2-2-2009 at 03:57 PM

Quote:
I would call this Western... but borrowing some microtones from the maqam.

Agree, but not completely Western since you hear microtones:) but the overall tendency is Western reason why Ziad stopped doing such music. This dated from the beginning of the 80s. He said many times that these assays are a total failure in his view.
Listen to this Bayati and the rhythm used in that song by the same composer, sung by Fayrouz.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi9I8gJdB30
I find here something really new on a bayaati makam but the rhythm is unusual, not 2/4 or 4/4 add on the lovely arrangement of the orchestra. This was live taken from the stage in year 2000 (or 2004, I don't recall exactly).

katakofka - 2-2-2009 at 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MatthewW
hi katakofka - I would also call this western music. What is interesting is that you will find that John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Jimmy Garrison ( bass),Pharoah Sanders and other jazz pioneers of the late 1950s -1960s also experimented with various forms of musical expression including modal and microtones- all done with western reed or brass instruments like sax, trumpet, trombone,upright fretless bass but they just didn't have an oud player in the line up! Ziad may have even been inspired by those guys.:cool:

yep..Ziad is a big fan of Carlos Jobin too

Marina - 2-2-2009 at 10:31 PM

Hello Edward!

We have such a luck to have one of us on the hot spot!
:cool:

Can you give some information about studies in Oud house, who are the teachers, does Naseer Shamma teaches himself, how much are the lessons, how is the lewel of the teachers... & all the things? I was supossed to go to Cairo in february, but it will wait a while...
Thank you so much for sharing your adventure with others!
:applause:

Edward Powell - 2-3-2009 at 12:30 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I would call this Western... but borrowing some microtones from the maqam.

Agree, but not completely Western since you hear microtones:) but the overall tendency is Western reason why Ziad stopped doing such music. This dated from the beginning of the 80s. He said many times that these assays are a total failure in his view.
Listen to this Bayati and the rhythm used in that song by the same composer, sung by Fayrouz.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi9I8gJdB30
I find here something really new on a bayaati makam but the rhythm is unusual, not 2/4 or 4/4 add on the lovely arrangement of the orchestra. This was live taken from the stage in year 2000 (or 2004, I don't recall exactly).

Hi Kata

Great! Where did you dig all this stuff up??

You are proving at least in my mind that Western influence by far need not be a bad thing at all! It is only a question of HOW Western influence is used!!!

I really need to revise my critisism and my vocabulary... I need to stop blaming the West when in fact the blame simply falls on poor and superficial musicianship/composing.

I get equally irritated when I hear a good western group try to use Eastern influences but clear are only able to do this very superficially....

Hey, this job of fusing musics is a very very serious thing and it takes a LONG time to know another cultures music well enough to really do it.

Edward Powell - 2-3-2009 at 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Marina
Hello Edward!

We have such a luck to have one of us on the hot spot!
:cool:

Can you give some information about studies in Oud house, who are the teachers, does Naseer Shamma teaches himself, how much are the lessons, how is the lewel of the teachers... & all the things? I was supossed to go to Cairo in february, but it will wait a while...
Thank you so much for sharing your adventure with others!

Sure... in my opinion the OUDHOUSE can either be a God-send or a disappointment depending totally on your perseption and what you are looking for.

The building itself is an old Ottoman harem... BEAUTIFUL!

The lessons happen 3 days a week btw 5 - 10pm. The price is 250 EP/month total. Each student gets one private teacher. They told me that Naseer conducts a group lesson once a week, but I went there the day he was supposed to do that and it never happened... (?)

As I said, it depends on your level and what you want. In my opinion some of the teachers there are very low level, but some relatively high. None are great in my opinion. If it would be my choice, personlly I would not even accept Naseer teaching because in fact he seems to be leading Arab music in a direction that I don't agree with. ---But reading again what I just wrote above, perhaps it is not the Western influence that I disagree with - - - but more, it is HOW this Western influence is used. How they are using it in this Naseer/Jamil school always sounds to me a bit like the romantic soundtracks from American movies from the 1930's...... it is totally just a question of my personal taste that it doesn't appeal to me - HOWEVER, I am the first to congradulate Nas/Jam for being able to articulate all those chordal things really well intune! Bravo!

...ok, back to the oud school.

I think that if what you need is very basic instruction to get your fundamental technique rolling, then the oudhouse is a good place to start. Naseer doesn't teach privately unless you stay there for years... is my guess. He is an ultra-busy and pre-occupied individual.

Personally, I would be very careful with the oudhouse if you are more than a hobbiest. If you really are serious about the oud I would be careful because in my opinion by far the time where you need an EXCELLENT teacher is right in the very begining. In my opinion this is the main reason why some musicians become very good, and some not - - - because you need very good teaching right in the beginning, and this is SO RARE because teaching a beginner is very boring and very hard work - - - but you need a good teacher in the beginning because they need to get your hand techniques "set" properly and get you onto "good habits" because you will ingrain these habits, and they will be hard to break later if not set will in the beginning.

The other thing about the oudhouse is that they do not teach much maqam theory there - so if this is important for you it could also be an issue.

Also the style taught is Iraqi for the most part...

However, after all of my critisism, still the place has a fantastic vibe and it is just wonderful to go there and hangout and observe the teaching, meet the teachers and students, chat, jam, and soak it all in... it's a GREAT PLACE!

katakofka - 2-3-2009 at 06:52 AM

Quote:

Great! Where did you dig all this stuff up??

You are proving at least in my mind that Western influence by far need not be a bad thing at all! It is only a question of HOW Western influence is used!!!

I took it from my CD and put it on youtube :cool: and Yessss it needs lot of music education to make these fusion well done.
Listen to that bayaati also
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AOnPHNqkbM&feature=channel
And the one I loved the most from the same concert a music Called Dyaar Bakr. It's a bayaati 6/8, from min 5 in the link below
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cinJNLF4o6o&feature=channel
Trompet, trombone..etc all playing quater tones ;)

katakofka - 2-3-2009 at 07:12 AM

Back to the main issue which is how to use quarter tones without being traditional "classical". Ziad is a good example if you agree. From the clips I mentioned above, from the jazzy clip of 1980s to the recent ones of 2000,2004,2007, have you realized how his music has transformed? As you said, his 80s music makes you feel that this is western music that took some quarter tones, but in the recent ones it's not the case (as I see it). You feel that this music is indeed middle eastern but unusual non classical or traditional. Do you agree?

MatthewW - 2-3-2009 at 11:11 AM

Souheil, those two youtube videos of Ziad and the band playing in Bayati is very impressive! John Coltrane,McCoy Tyner, Miles Davis and others from that period of 1950s-60s jazz experimentation also tried to expand western musical horizons , including use of quarter tones, but didn't (as far as I am aware) manage to arrange pieces for an entire ensemble to play these quarter notes in unison, on western instruments. As you say, it must take a lot of music education to pull this off successfully, and Ziad does just that. Is there a name in use for the music Ziad is playing, like 'modern eastern/arabic ensemble music' or ? I agree that calling it 'classical' or 'traditional' dosen't seem to give an accurate description. Has Ziad composed anything else in recent years for 'western/eastern ensemble in any other maqam other than bayati? regards MW

katakofka - 2-3-2009 at 12:14 PM

Hi Math
the only one that came to my mind is the following, siga (huzaam) close to traditional
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_uicnuuPyQ

He worked on Kord and Hijaaz using non-traditional rhythm (2/4 or 4/4) as shown below:

Kord makam, from the late 70s. The Nay is lovely in that peace
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sda3EuJGOaA

1984: Kord: in here he worked on the 10/8 traditional rythm, but transformed on his way
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws8EhHN7nRQ&feature=channel

1994: Kord and bayyat. Also non-traditional rhythm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5xM3vmrk9o&feature=channel

7ijaaz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGsD1eZ-PVQ&feature=related

These that came to my mind probably others would have more
This music Ziad called it previously Oriental Jazz. Then he dropped it as the Jazz was a total failure in his eyes. Now he's calling it just "Lebanese music". I prefer to call in Modern Middle eastern music in opposite to traditional or classical
Best

Edward Powell - 2-3-2009 at 12:21 PM

very impressive what they have done... the microtones are there and add a new colour. And most importantly they do not HURT :)

I would simply call this MODAL JAZZ. The chords are not really like a progression - rather, like modal chords.

they have done a great job of adding ONE microtone... however I feel this is just the beginning - since adding just one microtone is not THAT big a deal really. Just for the sake of discussion, I would add that what I miss is modulation in other makams, and also the FULL exposure of bayati. Just to play bayati like an aolian mode with a 1/4 flat second degree is not really bayati, because what bayati shifts to the upper tetrachord the 6th degree becomes a 1/4 flat rather than a full flat...

so, as much as it makes me totally joyful to see musicians bothering to take it THIS far... I still feel it is just the beginning of what is possible, and just the very tip of the iceberg (or the sand-dune:)))

Edward Powell - 2-3-2009 at 12:26 PM

more great music - THANKS!

it is a pity we need to lable music... because often it is the unclassifiable which has the most value :)

still it sounds predominantly Western to my ears... and VERY VERY jazz orientated.

I would call it Lebanese jazz :buttrock:

katakofka - 2-3-2009 at 08:15 PM

Hey Ed..I suggest changing the name of the thread, make it...my trip to Lebanon:rolleyes: I talked a lot about Ziad but still I hope I was able to give you an idea about a different kind of music that people are trying in the Middle east. Sincerely I feel he is probably the only person doing serious music in the arab world.
Back to the main point. I hope I was able to show that composing on oriental makams without being repetitive is feasible and without being repetitive or traditional. It just need the right musical education. I am not a professional musician but I am trying to play something unusual as you see in my youtube page. I wanna still trying and playing oriental makams as much as I can to "fight" against shamma's oud style :cool: and maybe I would influence a professional musician one lucky day. Believe me I would be very glad:)

Edward Powell - 2-4-2009 at 02:03 AM

Hi Kata:rolleyes:

Yes absolutely! ...and I am glad you didn't misunderstand me. I sincerely thank you for making me aware of these clips and this music. You caused a revolution in my own thinking and in my future vocabulary - - from now on I am going to stop pointing the accusing finger at the West - and instead, if I don't like any particular music - simply accept that this music is not to my taste and that someone else might get something out of it...

Yes it is clearly time to completely accept that the East and West and North and South and everywhere else are all mixed and fused for better or worse. The time to sensor and shield ourselves and music from any influence has long past and become impossible. All that remains to do is simply make the very best music we can, and stop thinking about what influences what.

Now I am repeating myself, but I wil say it again --- I was a professional Westen musician before I ever heard a maqam note... I was seeking creative and advanced forms of Western music all thru my teens and early 20's. Therefore my tastes became pretty refined --- I think that this is why I am not impressed with (as you call it) the Shamma school. Those guys are using chords but I am SURE that their exposure to Western music (and how wild and wonderful chordal music can really get!) is not very extensive. It doesn't impress my ears.

Now, to be fair - by the same token... I myself and doing "professional" music with maqam influence - and I am sure that those who are either very advanced maqam listeners or players will not be overly impressed with what I do with maqam, simply because being a latecomer to maqam my depth of experience with the idiom will never reach their depth -

But this does not mean that I should not use maqams the best I can, and that Shamma should not use chords the best he can.

Shamma's music and very fundamental use of chords can and does appeal to those who are just beginning their exposure to chordal music... afterall, when we first begin to listen to any musical idiom we need to acclimatise ourselves to the most fundamental form of it - - - you can NOT understand bebop without a long pre-education and acclimatisation to the idiom and complex chord changes (largely because the players assume that the audience is familiar with the chord structure, and therefore can LEAVE OUT MAJOR SECTIONS of the music, and imply the rest - - - so in this way the audience gets pleasure - - - but without this "knowing the idiom" bebop" just sounds like a senseless wash of notes------as it did to me for years until I studied it). Can we imagine that Shamma would have suddenly come out with chordal music as sophisticated as bebop???? His "chordally young" Oriental audience would have thrown SHOES at him.:))

Same with maqam... until you know it and have 'lived in it' you will only likely be able to enjoy it in it's most fundamental form.

Edward Powell - 2-4-2009 at 02:06 PM

Went to visit MAURICE at his workshop today for the first time... what a great guy, and really FANTASTIC ouds! Great sound, and each one very different than the other. ---amazing decorations also.

We had a good long chat - and he showed me around the place . . . got some good fotos but my camera battery is dead right now...

He mentioned to me several oud players that he thinks are great. I had heard of none of them, so need to start a new round of homework. . . . any help appreciated!

Ahmed Fathi (Maurice promised to take me there to meet him)
Arif Yonman
Abedi El Gohar
Said Yagazel
Amar El Shiriay

...spelling ? ? ? ? ?

katakofka - 2-4-2009 at 04:29 PM

Ahmed fathi or Abedi el Gohar both have similar style to Farid el atrash. Ammar el shirii is a know keyboard player and composer I didn't know that he plays oud too. The other 2 guys never heard of. Looking forward for new videos with Ahmad Fathi;)

Edward Powell - 2-5-2009 at 01:18 AM

How can someone switch from oud to keyboards?:))

Edward Powell - 2-5-2009 at 11:16 AM

I finally got around to visiting MAURICE (mauriceouds.com) who is considered the best oud maker in Egypt.
Very nice guy - rather humble workshop... no powertools and just a couple of guys working away... Maurice in his office surrounded by beautiful and AMAZING ouds. I had a very good feeling from the whole operation. I tried out some ouds and they all sounded very resonant and rich... but each one was very unique and different from the next one... also in how they looked.

Maurice seems an expert in decorating the backs. One on them was decorated with tortoise shells (foto below)... just amazing!

His shop is rather out of the way and tough to find . otherwise I would hang out there daily...
He said his least expensive oud is $1000... and I am sure the top custom super decoration models go thru the roof. I was interested to see fotos of one oud he made for the King of Oman... because when I was at Faruk Turunz's place (also 2 years ago) Faruk was making 2 ultra-super quality ouds also for that King... so, quite a collecter that guy!

Maurice also told me about several supposedly great arabic oud players, and none of them I had heard of... so this give me some more research material :-)

enjoy the fotos. . . .

Melbourne - 2-6-2009 at 11:15 PM

Edward Powell - 2-10-2009 at 12:54 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFWptHCnWaE

...this one was not filmed by me, but I felt it could fit in with the Cairo Thread nicely - - -

Thanks Joe... you are playing GREAT as usual!

katakofka - 2-10-2009 at 08:32 AM

Thanks Ed. That was nice

Edward Powell - 2-15-2009 at 08:46 AM

I had some good luck in the last little while.

To be honest, in the last week to 10 days my mood began to decline a little bit - feeling like I had seen all there was to see - or the scene is too dead - or I was just not making the connections I would like... but in any case I was feeling that I was not finding what I wanted. Naseer's school is not what I am after since it seems to be technically rather than theory based. The concert often seem uninspired... etc etc.

So I was seriously thinking about shifting down to Aswan...

But on Friday I went to EL SAWY to see an Arab music concert and found it very good. The main lead singer was a young woman with a beautiful voice. After the concert I happened to talk to this woman who was very friendly - - it turns out she is a voice and oud teacher at the Zamelek music academy. She invited me to come during the week to visit and talk about what I am looking for with the music etc.

So today I went there, and was really surprised and amazed by this place. I really didn't know that such an enormous and serious school for EGYPTIAN MUSIC is existing and obviously thriving! They have a 5 year program in which they teach all the maqams and forms of Egyptian music on all Egyptian instruments.

Her name is SAMAH ISMAIL. We had a very inspired meeting in her office - I must have been there for almost 3 hours... she was also of course interested in things that I could explain to her - like things about the Turkish makam system and intonation, as well as the Indian raga system - of which she knows nothing.

From our long conversation I started to realise that what I know the VERY VERY least about - in Arab music - is the forms... this is something I would like to explore here in another thread.

She has agreed to help me compile resourse material on all maqams - - - this is a great help because in Arab music maqams are not listed with song titles, so it is difficult to find pieces in particular maqamat!

katakofka - 2-17-2009 at 05:05 AM

Ed
have you ever heard about Alfred Gamil? he's in Egypt. Listen to his work
http://www.qithara.com/song/TahmilaRahaAl-Arwaah.wma
http://www.qithara.com
He also put the Notations on his website. very interesting stuff !
Gamil obtained a Ph.D. in the philosophy of arts, the thesis title: “Achieving a number of Arabic Maqamat (gemmas and scales) of the Turkish Sazenda”

I found his address on his website
Alfred Gamil
280 Faisal Street, 9th floor App. 38

Giza - EGYPT

Phone & Fax: 00202-7820640

handy: 0122475005

http://www.qithara.com

email : alfredgamil@yahoo.com

Edward Powell - 2-17-2009 at 06:41 AM

Hi Souheil!

Thanks SO much for all this great info and input!!!

I am sorry for being a bit slow with responding. . . . to be honest, in the last week or so I have experiences a small over-load and a minor burn-out... it happens sometimes during these intensive and extensive learning periods.

At the moment, I haven't touched my oud or listened to Arab music for a few days... and this is normal and ok - - - I let myself go into other things, and refresh my brain by thinking about totally different things. For example I have been designing a new double neck fretless guitar---- this time with the idea to figure out how I can do it in as time-effect a way as possible in order to bring the price tag down to Earth for the many very good (but not rich) musicians who have been inquiring lately. . .

So I have been letting myself switch gears for a while. Probably I will get back to the study this evening. . . . . I know there is a new door (dawr) waiting to be opened behind which is a treasure house of goodies :-)

THANKS FOR EVERYTHING!

Edward Powell - 2-20-2009 at 02:28 PM

Hi Everybody!

I burned out my laptop the other day, that is why I am not posting much - - - I have it now in the HP service center here in cairo.... they are fixing it on warrantee :-)

Went to a concert in the OPERA SMALL HALL... it was called "RELIGIOUS SONGS". I would never have even thought to go to that, and the guy at the door taking tickets even tried to talk me out of it saying I will not be interested. I think he meant that I would not relate to the lyrics since I am obviously not Muslim - - - perhaps he didn't figure that my knowledge of Arabic language is about .1%....

It turned out to be the best concert I have been to yet! Full orchestra and chorus... and everybody performing with FULL HEART --- very unlike those STATE ENSEMBLES.

I have been invited there by a wonderful singer I had met last friday Samah Ismail... what a voice! She invited me again to come for another "lesson" at the Zamelek Academy this Sunday, which makes me really happy because it seems we are becoming good friends. It even makes me think about the possibility of trying some musical collaboration with her in future.

I have been hearing really many singers now and starting to notice that I like some much more than others. Many of them - maybe even most, tend to really strain their voices in the high register... Samah in the high register has a very soft light touch.... very nice!

Yesterday I was at the National theatre and it was packed for a change... it was an O.K. night! GREAT ALSO! ...I met some music lovers there and ended up having a very long converstion afterward discussing all sorts of thing - details of the forms and origins and development of Egyptian music... Fascinating!

Marina - 2-21-2009 at 08:25 AM

Pictures, please!

Edward Powell - 2-21-2009 at 08:41 AM

I am getting LAZY!

I also have some cool videos.... but as I said, my laptop is now in service... so those will unfortunately have to wait. . . . .

wow, life without a notebook:(

Owain-Hawk - 2-22-2009 at 01:59 PM

Edward, I hope you're alright!! I just heard that there was an explosion in Cairo today, and a few foreigners were killed and others injurered. Please post ASAP and let us know you're OK!! :(

Edward Powell - 2-23-2009 at 12:42 AM

Hi Everybody...
Thanks for your concern. I'm fine... yes, there was a big tragedy here last night -

Very very sad...

...one good thing about only being interested in music as opposed to touristic things is that I very rarely frequent those areas. . . and now I will simply not go at all near any tourist spot.

Truly shocking --- but not really a big surprise to be honest. I have sort been expecting something like this, considering the big picture.

Edward Powell - 2-23-2009 at 12:43 AM

,,,this pc here is weird,
- not sure if my last post registered?
I'm here and fine...

Owain-Hawk - 2-23-2009 at 05:16 AM

Yep your last post registered. I'm glad you're OK it just worried me because a few people had been killed and they were tourists. It's a shame stuff like this happens but I'm not going to talk about it and turn it into a political disscussion... :rolleyes:

You live to Oud another day! :airguitar:

Edward Powell - 2-23-2009 at 07:03 AM

Yes... I am very worried about the general situation.
I leave on March 21, and truly hope that the general situation remains stable until I leave ---- that sounds incredibly selfish I know. What I meant to say was that I really hope this area will see a lasting peace.... but....

yes, let's not get too political . . . . .

back to ouds....

Edward Powell - 2-26-2009 at 01:46 AM

I didn't come here with my double-neck "oud/sarod" which is the instrument I use when I perform... I do not perform anymore specifically on proper ouds -

However, the wonderful nay player and friend Mohamed Antar has asked me to play a 30 minute duet fasil with him at his concert next week in Alex. Although it was not my intention to perform at all on this trip - but rather to focus on studying - still I am very happy about this, and feel that for me right now it is the best way to STUDY.

He has given me 3 long compositions of his own in Nahawand, and I will also be playing a 5 -7 minute taksim. He insisted that I play in Ottoman style --- which is a relief for me because although I am quickly "catching" something of the Arab style, I still would not like to be expected to come across as playing in an Arab style.

My ultimate goal is also not to sound like a Turk - however it just seems to be happening this way.

I am hoping that after this trip there will forever remain strong traces on the Arab style in my playing.

Pages:  1  2  3