Mike's Oud Forums

UK Oud meet No 2

Pages:  1  2

abusin - 6-21-2009 at 01:44 PM

Great shots Dave, thanks

Not forgetting the food, was great man:cool:

Kelly - 6-21-2009 at 01:46 PM

Hey Dave.

Some wonderful pics and catching some great moments.

Thanks once again. I'm definitely up for the next meet.

Nice one Owain- glad you got back ok after your stand up train journey. It was a pleasure to travel with you and share some music. Let me know how the strings are.

abusin - 6-21-2009 at 01:51 PM

Owain, I u2u'd the number

Kelly, I thought you said u going 2 bed:D

Owain-Hawk - 6-21-2009 at 01:52 PM

Yes Kelly, I made it. I actually got a seat at Preston, but I was regretting it because I nearly fell asleep and missed Lancaster!

Thanks for number Awad my friend! What times can I phone you?

abusin - 6-21-2009 at 01:57 PM

:D, week days after six except Tue/ Thursdays I got studies finish late
any time weekends,

cheers

Ararat66 - 6-21-2009 at 11:06 PM

Hi everyone

I've got some pics and a little bit of video which I've sent to Michael to put onto the web. I'll put some of the pictures up later this evening (I need to convert them down in size).

I think that Bashir Abbas embodied real grace and humility, he played as a man whose life was suffused with music and his culture, and listened to each of us playing with real interest and openess. To me that is a great man, it was very moving and I felt privilaged to have been there.

Here are a few pics for now.

See you later

Leon

abusin - 6-22-2009 at 04:02 AM

Hi Leon,

Nice pics buddy, is that all you've?:D:D
I'm glad I made and honured to meet ustaz Bashir and all of you guys,
Ustaz Bashir is predicting an awesome future if carries on learning/ practising :applause: best of luck Owain keep going big man:applause:

Can't wait to meet Nizar in July :bounce::bounce::bounce:

Ararat66 - 6-22-2009 at 12:36 PM

Some more photos

I'd appreciate your commentaries.

Cheers

Leon

BTW

Non of my video is of Bashir Abbas, as I was so captivated by watching him and noticed Osman and the lads were recording and filming so I'd love to see some of those.

Leon

Ararat66 - 6-22-2009 at 12:41 PM

More

Ararat66 - 6-22-2009 at 12:54 PM

More still

Ararat66 - 6-22-2009 at 12:56 PM

last lot ... enjoy!

charlie oud - 6-22-2009 at 10:25 PM

HEY, THIS WAS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO COOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLL :wavey:

Sorry to rejoin thread a bit late. Again, I am already thinking of the next meet. The playing at this gig was really impressive and the company, well what can I say?. I hope we make the next one a 2 day affair!!!. Thanks Dave you did great mate!!. And Shohana (sp?) for allowing the tribe to invade such a beautiful home.
I am so inspired after this and longing to practise. Lets keep ideas and suggestions flowing for the next gathering. Love to you all and for making a fine time. :applause:

AND OF COURSE THANK YOU MIKE WITHOUT WHOM THE UK OUD MEETS WOULD NEVER HAVE HAPPENED. YOU ARE A STAR BUDDY :bowdown:

DaveH - 6-23-2009 at 12:11 AM

OK, seeing as we don't have any video at all just yet, I'll put these two clips up. The first is of Owain and Kelly jamming away with Awad and Michael on percussion. By the way, Michael did a lot of rhythm and is really talented. When you're used to playing on your own and sounding a bit directionless at times, it's fantastic to play with someone who can keep you on the straight and narrow and it adds a whole new dimension to the playing.

The second is of Kelly in morning mode on Blondie (who was very lucky to make it home with Leon. I LOVE that oud!), but it's marred by some idiot (me) talking over most of the video. Sorry!

Thanks for reminding me Charlie. Yes, huge thanks to Mike and everyone who makes this forum work (and yes, you spelt Shohana exactly right).

http://www.4shared.com/file/113576192/c7540c7d/MOV01397.html
http://www.4shared.com/file/113576224/cf85ceda/MOV01409.html

charlie oud - 6-23-2009 at 01:00 AM

OK here goes. Suggestion No 1 for 2010 meet:

The second video clip is quite characteristic of many moments all of which I'm sure we enjoyed, but maybe next year we could put our names down to be included in an organised performance in front of attendies and give say an hour or 2 to a concert format. This way we would really get to hear each other even more and share. Plus, there is nothing which makes one practise so carefully than a planned performance. It really improves playing, nervousness etc. We could plan it very easily, No pressure. Those who dont want to dont have to, they can sit back and enjoy. Of course the informal is wonderful, and I'm sure we are adequately laid back so as not to lose this feel. My suggestion is really intended to remind us all that we all have something worth listening to and that may be we owe it to ourselves and each other to give our hard work and this devine instrument a little more of a platform at the gatherings. Any thoughts?

Ararat66 - 6-23-2009 at 01:48 AM

We need more meetings folks, we're such a fine bunch and have such a fine time - there's a momentum here if we can run with it, and a community to be developed and nurtured ... just think of it, there's loads of us in the UK.

I'll chip in again later when I have thought about it a bit !!!!

Leon

abusin - 6-23-2009 at 02:40 AM

Great pics felas,

Something I forgot to mention but is always on my mind, the fact that we are greatfull to ustaz Mike who gave us this opportunity to meet and exchange tunes/ ideas and was the inspiration for forming this regular oud meetings inspired by his summer meetings, thanks my friend:applause:

Charlie and Leon good day guys, I am lucky to be able to form a little group of oudies in Manchester which is open to any one to join, the main members are my buddies Osman and Kelly and others and a host of instruments along side ouds. We meet every weekend practising and exchanging tunes which worked out really well and helped with our progress. We also have a community centre which have recently been renwed and going through the final phase of refurbishment and will be ready soon :xtreme:

So from here I would welcome any one who wants to join or suggest events to bring us together, or just come along and join our sessions, currently hosted between my place, Kelly's and Osman's.

I love Oud and being among you guys makes it even mor enjoyable::xtreme:

charlie oud - 6-23-2009 at 03:30 AM

Awad,

It was lovely to see you mate and am glad the community centre is coming along, sure we'll all be there again one day, we've started a definate annual event. Take care

Ararat66 - 6-23-2009 at 07:29 AM

Definately - I agree with Charlie, it was fantastic to see you, particularly after your epic journey - we wanted you to stay over but perfectly understand.

I should be able to get over to you in the not too distant future as I have a commision in Bingley at the moment and am visiting the North every couple of months at the moment ... so I'll get over when I can:buttrock::buttrock:

It was great jamming with you, I really enjoyed the little session we had with you on darbuka, playing off each other like that - brilliant stuff.

:buttrock:

Cheers

Leon

Mike - 6-23-2009 at 08:29 AM

Wow...you guys rock! :buttrock:

You're catching up to us with your gatherings. Hopefully one day we can cooridinate a gathering between continents. Wouldn't that be a blast! These pictures are awesome. If you guys want to send me some video footage, I would be more than happy to upload it and make it available for people to download directly from the forums. Seeing these types of threads makes all of this worthwhile. Lots of fun...

be good guys!

Ararat66 - 6-23-2009 at 08:53 AM

Now that would be aaaaammmmmmmaaaaazzzzzzing

Got my passport out already. Thanks for the forum Mike - its the best. I just got an email from Osman who has got footage of Bashir ... as I said, Iwas sat right in front of him loving every minute so filming went out of the window.

Next time We'll sort out some recording equipment, I have just got a superb pro digital slr for my work that also takes great video - and we need to mic it well ... so we'll see.

I'm happy to be official:applause::applause:photographer at these gigs and do a pro job.

Leon

DaveH - 6-23-2009 at 12:10 PM

I second Charlie's idea. I think it would be good for everyone to have a spot - if they want one - and play something prepared - either a composed piece or a taqsim. It always helps to have something to work towards.

Cheers all!

DaveH - 6-23-2009 at 12:13 PM

Oh, and while we're waiting for video, here's a taster of what we were treated to. And in my living room!! I must have been very good in a previous life. The Man is getting on a bit now, but he still has the class.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbR1YGdrTC4

Ararat66 - 6-23-2009 at 12:42 PM

More than class he has great serenity and presence I thought. That's quite a thing seeing that video from nearly 30 years ago after this weekend!!

Thanks Dave

Leon

jdowning - 6-23-2009 at 12:48 PM

Congratulations to all on another successful UK meet.
Sadly, I will now never be able to bridge two mile gap between Headington and Horsepath (Oxford) but can still admire the coordinated effort and determination that leads to success.
I think that charlie oud's idea of a 'student concert' is very good and might be the way to go as a future development - particularly if 'master class' tutorials were to be included at a later date.
Good luck!

Owain-Hawk - 6-23-2009 at 01:33 PM

Great pics guys! I'll upload mine tomorrow haven't had time recently. I only took a few.

Hey Kelly, your playing on the second video is epic!! Can't stop listening, wish it was longer. :applause:

Ararat66 - 6-23-2009 at 11:28 PM

Hey Mike and the udis

Just took a look at the map ... if we were to meet half way between you and us we'd need to hire a boat ... this would have to be specially comissioned in the shape of an oud ...

Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC-49GnjdTE&feature=fvst

if they can do it why can't we??

:applause::applause:

Leon

charlie oud - 6-24-2009 at 01:32 AM

:D :D :D Nice find Leon. 9 months hmmm, give Tasos a call and tell him to get cracking, may be ready for next year.

Maestro Bashir video is special, thanks for that Dave, yes we were honoured. :bowdown:

Ararat66 - 6-24-2009 at 04:50 AM

Well maybe not ...

... he operates on Tasos meantime but the wait is well worth it.

:applause::applause:

Leon

Kelly - 6-24-2009 at 10:34 PM

Owain.Thanks for your kind comments on the playing. The Tassos oud brings it out eh Leon. I guess I'm a moring player. Have you managed to change the strings yet?

charlie oud - 6-24-2009 at 10:58 PM

Kelly, your playing on the clip is lovely, you have some tasteful music and a fine touch. I was really impressed with the progress people have made since last years meet and how well their styles are developing. I Dont think the same could be said of myself. At least I am now recharged as result of the meet, kind of lost my way a bit and often felt stuck in the past year. Great to feel back on track again thanks to you all.

Owain-Hawk - 6-24-2009 at 11:03 PM

Lies Charlie! Your playing is fantastic! :applause: Me and Kelly were commenting on the way back to Manchester in the car. What sweet and gentle playing! However we were both a bit disappointed that we didn't hear more of your playing, and others. On a day like that, one can never seem to be able to listen to everybody! :rolleyes:

charlie oud - 6-24-2009 at 11:36 PM

Thank you Owain, needless to say that all were impressed with your dynamic and fluent style including maestro Bashir !!! ( and thats really some endorsement). I like your Shehata and enjoyed playing it. I think he and Sukar provide a mature and dependable Arabic sound. Of course we had the luxury of many fine ouds to play at the meet, all of which had a certain something. After playing your oud I have returned to Aquilla turks (tuned Arabic), had forgotten how nice they sound, especially the bass's. Also decided to go 5 course F A d g c, have tried this on and off in the past year and love the way it contains the maqam.

Owain-Hawk - 6-24-2009 at 11:47 PM

Thanks Charlie. Yes, I was flattered that maestro Bashir even remotely enjoyed my playing! I tried to learn his songs as he played them, but I couldn't pick them up... he was simply too good!

Hehe, that's ironic, I just changed my strings to a Mari set (thanks Kelly)! :D I must say though, I enjoyed playing your Oud and loved how it resided around G, but it's always nice to change!

Ararat66 - 6-25-2009 at 12:00 AM

Charlie

I'd agree with the others about your playing

(BTW Kelly I remember you playing that morning and the video doesn't do it justice - next time I'm going to try to organise some decent recording quality with a bit of help from the group)

I have a short clip of you playing and hopefully it should be on the forum soon (I find it tricky to do this as I am ludicrously busy this week:(). What I really liked about some of the ideas you were playing was the wonderful exploratory bass lines you would allow to emerge. I think you are quite hard on yourself (I know the feeling, I'm probably the same) and that meetings like this great because you will get objective and often surprising feedback on what it is you are actually playing.

I would say that with time you will become less reticent about your oud music when you and us as a group convince you of the beautiful quality of your playing. I remember after the first meeting between you're leaving and hitting the Manchester Curry Mile, we were talking about your playing and how much we enjoyed it ... but again how we would have liked to hear MORE - the best compliment you can have. I think if we could have small group sessions quietly playing of each other next time and developing lines and themes and taking the tempo down to allow the sensitivity to come out then that would add a great dimension to the meetings. We are only on our second meeting so it will take time to develop.

Losing your way is part of the journey, but you can always 'find' the way by the attention and awareness you bring to each note and the space between them whatever you play, (I know what you mean though!!).

Have a good sunny day:cool::cool:

Leon

charlie oud - 6-25-2009 at 12:20 AM

The Mari's are also a fine set, I've enjoyed them. I know what you mean having that 'g' at the centre of things but I always seem to come to the same conclusion, the high 'f' starts to sound a little too piercing to 'my' ears and is so dramitically divorced, in a tonal sense, from the mid & bass register of ouds. Like it goes off on its own and musical continuity feels a little compromised. Each to their own though and I'm still exploring. It seems crazy that we have Arabic tuning (lower) then Turkish (higher) then Arabic again which is even higher than Turk. Wierd huh?

Owain-Hawk - 6-25-2009 at 12:36 AM

Interesting you should mention that, Charlie. I found that on the higher tuned Ouds (with high F), I wanted to play Rast or Maqams that reside on C. But on your Oud, I "couldnt'" because the bass string was G. So I seemed to naturally keep away from the high F on your Oud... Isn't Iraqi tuning higher still?

charlie oud - 6-25-2009 at 12:41 AM

Hey Leon, thank you. I appreciate what you have written very much, I really do. You enjoy blondie and the lovely music you make with her. Cant wait to hear you again and for our next big meet. I like the way we are discussing future development as a group and as more join, which Im sure they will, this will then bring so much to us all as individual players and also secure a sound future for the oud in the UK. Cheers mate.

charlie oud - 6-25-2009 at 12:51 AM

Owain, Yeah its all so wierd. Now Ive taken the high 'f' off (no pun intended), and my lowest string is back to bass F and the highest string is 'c'. Everything falls into place. As if the low single drone and the high 'f' are distractions form where all the meaty stuff goes on.

abusin - 6-25-2009 at 01:40 AM

Good morning you fine people :xtreme:

You were all brilliant :applause:, each one of you have developed to the best since last years meeting. All of you showed an advance techniques and an enhanced attacks, I really enjoyed that especially DaveH I didn't have the honour meeting him last year as he was busy tying the knot:cool:, listening to him on his Ghadban was a treat.
As due to my own predicament of been there late, I haven't been able to play much but I can say I've learnt so much since and will continue to do so. I am lucky to have Kelly and Osman around:applause::bounce:

Leon seriously, I am thinking of getting an oud from Tasos if you could pass me his contacts again please. Mine will be a darker wood, a male version :D and I call him dark angel:bowdown:
so Blondie will have a boyfriend and I hope she woun't have issues with his colour:))

Peace:buttrock:

Ararat66 - 6-25-2009 at 02:47 AM

Hay Awad

She won't have issues with his colour but I may have issues with her cheating on me - she's a wild girl you know:D:D I have the scars to prove it:applause::applause:

here's his details:

His shop is called Xilofonia (lit' sound of wood)

http://www.theodorakis.name/uk/frameset.html

40 Str. Alex. Svolou, Thessaloniki
Tel./Fax: +30 2310 - 231.647
email: info@theodorakis.name

His English is limited (but infinately better than my Greek) so sometimes it takes a little time for him to reply, but he will and he is very honest, honourable and reliable ... really nice bloke to deal with.

My oud is obviously Turkish/Greek/Armenian style so the sound is that way. I don't know how different his Arabic braced ouds are but I would imagine they are fantastic also.

He makes these with great passion and love, and they are all works of art.

Thanks for your kind words.

Leon

Ararat66 - 6-25-2009 at 02:48 AM

BTW Awad

do you mean 'dark angle'

or 'dark angel' ???

:xtreme::xtreme:

abusin - 6-25-2009 at 03:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Ararat66  
BTW Awad

do you mean 'dark angle'

or 'dark angel' ???

:xtreme::xtreme:

Angel is the word buddy, sp:(
thanks Leon, I'll get on the case and hopefully next time we meet you'll meet the dark angel:cool:

Charlie my friend, that is an awesome oud case so well made and taylored for Blondie:applause:

charlie oud - 6-25-2009 at 03:43 AM

Yes I know Awad, we should all have good cases like that.(my joke was referring to all/any cases) I may invest in a new case soon as my Sukar case is slowly falling apart. Good luck with your Tasos enquiries, a fine maker. Keep us informed of any progress.

Kelly - 6-25-2009 at 12:00 PM

Hey Charlie, Thanks for the comments. Thats the great thing with trying other people's ouds and tuning you start exploring other tonal colours and sounds.

Owain let us know how the strings settle.

I can see Awad you're gonna have to do alot of overtime for a dark angel. keep us posted.

Now back to the business and lets get playing!!

Owain-Hawk - 6-25-2009 at 01:12 PM

Hi Kelly, the strings are settling down nicely now, I love the sound! At first I wasn't keen on the treble strings... but now they're settling...! THANKS MATE! :applause:

By the way Dave, I wanted to show the vids you uploaded to somebody today, but for some reason they have been taken offline? What's going on? :(

DaveH - 6-26-2009 at 02:23 PM

Hi Owain, just checked and they were working fine - must have been a temporary blip.

D

abusin - 6-26-2009 at 02:52 PM

Hi all,

Just had Osman around with the much awaited vids:xtreme:
So now its 11:41 I'd a busy day, therefore I'm starting off with two links an the rest 7+ stills will follow during the week end, just bare with me folks

[url=]Horspath June09 No1[/url]

[url=]Horspath June09 No2[/url]

abusin - 6-26-2009 at 02:57 PM

Kelly, I just have to have a Tassos :airguitar: I've already started negotiations lets hope all goes well:shrug:

See ya this weekend kido:wavey:

Ararat66 - 6-27-2009 at 03:44 AM

:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

Leon

abusin - 6-27-2009 at 09:26 AM

:xtreme::applause:
[url][/url]
[url][/url]

abusin - 6-27-2009 at 09:30 AM

[url][/url]
[url][/url]

Owain-Hawk - 6-27-2009 at 09:33 AM

THANK YOU!! :xtreme:

abusin - 6-27-2009 at 09:36 AM

Wow :applause::applause: for the host :applause:
[url][/url]

And Finally :applause::applause:
[url][/url]

abusin - 6-27-2009 at 09:38 AM

You're welcome Owain, was a great meeting :applause:

Owain-Hawk - 6-27-2009 at 09:41 AM

You can say that again! :applause:

Kelly - 6-27-2009 at 11:08 AM

Hey Awad go for it man. Great pics. Thanks Osman- must get yourself logged in on the forum.

See You Sunday

charlie oud - 7-2-2009 at 06:41 AM

Awad, none of the url's will connect when I try. Just my problem may be?. :(

alfie - 7-3-2009 at 04:54 AM

hi you guys sorry i have not been in touch for so long and now i have half a dozen pages to catch up on lol but can i say a big thank you to Dave and his lovely wife for a really great weekend and one i shall remember for a long time
a big thanks to you all for your encouragement and friendship
one good thing that stands out now is that i do not feel the oddball any more lol there are lots
and i must say i came away from the meeting feeling more confident and determined to improve
thank you one and all
alfie

Kelly - 7-3-2009 at 11:22 AM

It was great to meet with you too Alfie. Your oud sounds great and will improve the more you get to know it and discover its character. Having an enthusiastic player like Leon close by will also bring you on by leaps and bounds. Play in good health and meet with you soon.

Ararat66 - 7-3-2009 at 02:54 PM

Hi Dave

Just listening to your playing here again and I love your timing (and tone) on that little theme you were developing, there is a little skip in there that you just pull around also tonaly it lets yu just hang on or let go - I remember at the time enjoying this.

Leon:)

DaveH - 7-4-2009 at 02:29 AM

Thanks Leon. It's a rendition of a song in huzam called ya ghusn naqa, though I'm not sure aficionados would recognise it as such.

Alfie, it was great to meet you and many congratulations once again on the oud - both taking up the thing in general and on yours specifically. I think its going to be the beginning of a beautiful relationship!

You didn't take your "refreshments" back with you. Will we save them for next time?

Pages:  1  2