Mike's Oud Forums

stains from right arm??

john (beloved) habib - 5-25-2004 at 01:27 PM

I was looking at the face of my Oud, and on the portion which my arm sort of touches when I'm playing there's a sort of stain... presumably that's from sweat and all the movement and stuff...

Do people have problem with this?

If so, how do you address it? Always wear a long sleave shirt?

Do you just ignore it?

My face doesn't have much of a protective coating on it... so, I guess this problem is directed to those people who, like me, don't have much of a protective coating on their Ouds...

Thanks for the advice in advance!

Sweat spot

spyrosc - 5-25-2004 at 02:05 PM

Dear John,

Very common problem. I wear long sleeves when I play, or place a folded handkerchief between my arm and the face.

If you notice some ouds have a special small protective surface on top of the soundboard around that area (for example see my Fouad Bashir in the picture gallery) but I think the best is the long sleeves and wiping the face after you play.

Leave the face alone, don't try to remove it, especially don't try any cleaning liquids on it.

Good luck
Spyros C.

john (beloved) habib - 5-25-2004 at 09:05 PM

thanks so much.... I thought I was weird for considering doing something like that... thanks for the advice

david - 5-25-2004 at 10:22 PM

Yo John, You know my oud has an unfinished face also and is getting some stains on it but you know what, I don't think its that big of a deal..I actually like it that way....sort of like a badge of honor for my oud to get dirty from countless hours of playing:airguitar:

Keeping the face clean

Sasha - 5-26-2004 at 03:39 PM

I usually wear long sleeves when I play. I also have a small hand towel I place on the oud that sort of hangs down the tail end of the oud.

Another item I use is a sleeve cut off a longsleeve T-shirt.

Sasha

Zulkarnain - 5-26-2004 at 04:46 PM

Hi Guys!

Check out the oud FAQ for month of MAY on my website to read a bit of information that I compile from Oud forums regarding this subject!

Thanks