Mike's Oud Forums

The REAL Egyptian/Arab MAQAM???

Edward Powell - 2-23-2009 at 03:32 AM

since my laptop bit it, I have been studying this one book of music notation I have that I got from Marko's music store.

cuz I can't read arabic I had a friend at least translate all the names of each piece- the composers- and the names of the maqams.

to my surprise almost all of the composers were Turkish, and all of the makams seem to be Turkish makams.

In fact, looking now at my BIG LIST of makams there are only a few that I have that I can not find anywhere at all in the Turkish system: hense I am assuming that these are REAL Egyptian/Arab maqams. They include:
-nairuz
-zanjaran
-nahawand murassah
-ushaq masri
-shawk afza

...and furthermore, so far I have never seen or heard and actual full composition written with one of these (above) maqams as the HOME MAQAM.

I am becoming aware that in the Arab maqam system there seems to be a serious maqam hierarchy in which we have a handful of PARENT maqams, and then many low-status family member maqams in which full compositions in them are not found.

My experience with the Turkish makam system however seems almost the opposite - - although in the Turkish system there are definitely COMMON and UNCOMMON makams- still, generally speaking, each makam hold a more or less equal status - meaning that each has an authentic SEYIR, and is at least capable of having full pesrevs or even a full AYIN composed in it.

Can anyone help me out here? What is the REAL ARAB MAQAM?
----or, is it the truth that before the Turks came here bringing their music, the Arab maqam was in fact a very simple maqam?

Did the Turks bring here the concept of the complex maqam?

...I highly suspect this, also because even when talking to very high level Egyptian musician - they seem unaware of the SEYIR concept --- they seem unaware that a makam has a "direction" --(ascending, ascending/descending, or descending)-- --even the way that the most common maqam here (bayati) has, in common practice, seemingly lost its directional characteristics - - resulting in what looks like sort of a combination of Ussak, Bayati, and Huseini all wrapped into one - - - essentially it looks like Arab Bayati is just a sort of free-from use of the bayati-scale. This is very different than the Turkish usage, and leads me to suspect that the concept of the COMPLEX MAQAM comes from Turkey, and has lost much of its sophistication after being transplanted down here.

If this is not true, then where are those hundreds long involved mega compositions in Maqam Nairuz or Sikah Baladi...

...it seems to me that the true Arab maqam is something only used to add some Arab spice in modulation...??!!

Danielo - 2-23-2009 at 04:14 AM

Hi Edward,

I am by no means an expert on these matters, but I agree with you that it is hard to find compositions out of the prominent maqamat. Regarding taqsims, I know few examples of the beaten track:
*"Saltana" by Abraham Salman, the great Iraqi-Israeli kanun player. There are full taqsim in maqamat such as Zanjaran, Suznak, Bayati Shuri,... Other are in more Iraqi maqamat like Awshar,Homayun. This CD is one of my favorites
*"Unwonted maqamat" by the syrian oud player Mohammad Qadri Dallal. The title by itself is revealing as the maqamat used (Nikriz,Mahur,...) are by no means "unwonted" in turkish music ! Is it also a coincidence that he comes from Aleppo, where the turkish influence is strong?

Edward Powell - 2-23-2009 at 07:00 AM

Yes...

I am guessing that it is hopefull thinking on my part to get comprehensive answers here - but it is worth a try. Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems that on this forum frequent mostly people interested in and knowledgable about, primarily Arab as opposed to Turkish music.

I would guess that an Arab musician would not jump in and admit that his/her music is majorly derivitive of Turkish music. I am also wondering why not more Turkish oudis are not participating here?

I do find it unfortunate however, that in the oud world in general, that the pre-eminance of Turkish influence is not properly recognised and admitted to. Sure, the Arab world is much more populous and geographically dominant - - but this does not justify the situation.

Personally I have a bit of a chip on my shoulder regarding this issue. I had been playing oud for year and years before I even got an incling of this truth.

To be honest, if it was not for studying the Turkish makam I would still be totally in the dark regarding how makams really work - because it seems to me that of course while Arabs PLAY maqam, they tended to neglect being very articulate in describing HOW they work. However, the Turkish way of describing the Seyir etc. make the whole idiom very comprehesible.

Nowadays when confronting an Arab version of a maqam - I can only really "grasp" it after refering back to what I had previously learned about the 'same' makam from the Turkish system.

I think it is a pity that it is not more common knowledge that the makam system is clearly more intelligible and refined on the Turkish side of things. I think the Turks deserve credit for this loud and clear... rather than generally being regarded as a variation on the prominant Arab makam.

Not in anyway to critisise this wonderful forum, but here is one example of how the assumed dominance and superiority of the Arab oud and the Arab maqam system is shown---- with this site being decorated and adorned with obviously Arab (Egyptian) ouds and praises for Farid (Arab/Egyptian).

I think that to be fair and to represent the reality on the groud more accurately, the Turkish oud, players, and repertoire ought to be given at least equal visibility and recognision.

- - -

Brian Prunka - 2-23-2009 at 09:51 AM

Edward,
while I am not an expert on the history/influences etc. I wanted to point out a couple of things.

1- the oud is far more important to Arab music than to turkish music, and originated either in Arab/Levant culture or Persian (depending on who you ask).
Since oud music has a more prominent role in Arab music, it is not surprising to find people gravitating toward that music.

2- Arab music indeed had concepts regarding the developmental direction (Seyir) of the maqamat. These have mostly been lost/degraded over time. Dr. Scott Marcus discusses this in detail. The ascending, descending, and asecending/descending variants of the scales have just been simplified in referring to the scale rather than the different names. This seems to have gradually confused things as aural tutelage under a master musician is being replaced by conservatory training. Turks seem to have overall a greater disposition toward naming/categorizing/theorizing than Arabs.

3- The fact that Turks have made their system more intelligible does not make the MUSIC more complex/refined/beautiful/whatever. Music does not actually operate according to systems, they are merely attempts by humans to impose order on things. One could say that Arab music is guided by finely honed intuition and sense of tarab, while Turkish music is excessively formalized and prescribed by rules and intellectualization. See how the same situation could lend itself to different perspectives? I'm not saying that I think that, but I'm sure some people feel that way.

4- If you want to understand Arab maqam, the instrumental repertoire is not really the place to look. The instrumental forms are clearly borrowed from Ottoman music, and this is widely acknowledged. I would advise spending a lot of time with Muwashshahat.

So aside from a general degradation in musical training, I don't think the situation is unfortunate at all. We have two different kinds of music that both influenced one another, both are different and have a different kind of beauty.

tchandler - 2-23-2009 at 09:52 AM

Hi Edward,
I disagree, I think there's lots and lots of more Turkish-oriented players that participate here on the forum. Isn't it a bit semantic to argue over whether Turkish or Arabic is more authentic or pure? What's better Iraqi or Egyptian or Lebanese or Syrian or Turkish? All of them! And of course, let's not forget that the web site is Mike's, and he holds Farido in a special place in his heart.
best
tom

Masel - 2-23-2009 at 01:39 PM

Edward see the other thread started by suzidil afew days ago about the names of maqams and their origins. It is no secret that middle-eastern music started in PERSIA, not turkey, and spread from there. The persians have the dastgah system, they only have 7 main dastgah (maqamat) and five minor ones, yet they are broken down into "corners" (gushe), short melodic sections that make up the larger form and seyir, in a much more articulated way than the turks or arabs can think of.

Brian you made some good points, especially the third. Edward I agree it is unfortunate that many arab musicians are losing the sense of what maqam is but this is a very modern thing, even if before they were less concerened with theoretical diversity. Always remember that theory is there to help understand the music, not force it into some mold.

And I want to add that I love turkish music and I play it also, in fact I am searching for a good teacher for it but it is hard to find in israel. I might end up studying persian music in "hed" academy...

Masel - 2-23-2009 at 02:11 PM

And since Danielo mentioned Avraham Salman who I've had the honour of watching play live, here is a taqasim (starting in) rast. See if you can name all the maqamat he goes through...

http://www.box.net/shared/20jrbn1vbi

A psychadelic experience.

eliot - 2-23-2009 at 02:18 PM

This whole "more real" or "more authentic" or "more anything" argument is a red herring.

Who were the Ottomans who created makam-s? Were they only Turks? No. Walter Feldman's lengthy and, unfortunately mistitled, Music of the Ottoman Court accomplishes very well the objective of ascertaining exactly who composed, performed, and consumed the music now known as TSM/ KTM/ OSM. At certain points in time, the majority of the sultanate-employed musicians were not Turkish at all but Persians, Jews, Greeks, Armenians, Roma, Arabs, Moldavians, etc. At other points in time, the balance shifted so that many more Turks were involved in the creation of urban music. So whose music is it?

The Dede Efendi makam-s in Turkey were highly influenced, we know, from him observing opera performances that happened from 1797 onwards (Sultan Selim III loved European opera and sponsored its happening in Istanbul). It could easily be argued that Dede Efendi "westernized" the makam system. Yes, some of his makam entities were more complex, but are they more or less real for it?

Masel's right to point out the Persian origin of certain makams and makam names. The Persian makam system existed and was used up until the creation of the dastgah system, then fell out of use somewhat. However, we don't really know how much of the Persian system really spread throughout the Middle East, and whether anything other than some maqam names and some basic interval patterns spread as well.

We will NEVER be able to prove that the maqam/makam system as we know it today originated in one place and spread, since we lack solid evidence about what musical systems existed throughout Anatolia, in Egypt, in the Levent, etc. that were either displaced or adapted to fit within a system of maqam. We do not have repertoire from 13th-17th century Iran that is widely played in either the current Turkish or Arab speaking world.

We don't even really know how widespread the knowledge of maqamat was in the 17th century, outside of the few people who wrote about it. So I hesitate to affirm that maqam went from point A to B, end of story. It's not as if Persians were not influenced by musicians, music styles, and thought that came from abroad. A lot of stuff was in circulation during the Safavid period - Islamic jurisprudence scholars, musicians, philosophy, material goods, instruments, maqamat, etc.

Edward Powell - 2-23-2009 at 02:58 PM

Wow, all excellent and very helpful responses - A LOT to respond to there...

For the moment, in practical terms, I am very thankful for the suggestion to look to the vocal music rather than instrumental, in my search for the Arab maqam expression. Yes, as far as the instrumental repertoire is concerned, it seem I might as well just get out my Turkish books and recordings...

...but I am not giving up so easily - I came here on a quest to discover the Arab maqam - so, yes, and thanks, I will focus on the vocal music!

ALAMI - 2-23-2009 at 03:27 PM

Arab musicians were always reluctant to music theory, the essence of their modal music is rooted in tarab and improvisation and is based on oral transmission. of course this system is risky, like everything in the Orient, and some concepts are reluctant to rationalization, no Arab would ever attempt to explain tarab to another Arab.

I am attaching the music sheet of "Eswaret El Arous" a pop song composed by the late and great Philemon Wehbeh for Fayrouz in the 1980s.
This guy was unable to read music, this song has an incredible instinctive seamless modulations from its base on Saba to Hijaz F, Bayat C, Rast B, Ajam B and Bayat F...
A true maqam labyrinth in a simple short pop song, A MUST TRY !

This guy had not a clue on what is ascending or descending sayir of a maqam, for his ears it just sounded right with the lyrics.

Edward Powell - 2-24-2009 at 12:59 PM

Hi Everybody... I just got my notebook back from service - - - it turns out that what happened was I had been having it sitting on my bed every day and the cooling system had been sucking up dust from the bed and it eventually blocked up the vents - and that is why it overheated.

Anyway, thank you ALL for contributing to this thread, I am learning really a lot from it - - -

I am just reading down now, and will respond as I go along;

- - -

I wouldn't agree that the oud is more important in Arab music than in Turkish, Brian - on what do you base this statement?

I am not sure who Dr. Scott Marcus is... but I always get a bit nervous whenever I hear this word "scale" enter into a discussion about makam. I have been under the impression that the true concept of a scale is a bit of a misnomer regarding makam theory. Meaning that the true fundamental of a makam is NOT a scale (7 notes) but rather a tetrachord (4 notes)-- so that no such thing as a BAYATI SCALE exists. Rather, the "bayati scale" is in fact ussak plus buselik. (or bayati plus nahawand in Arab terms). So in my opinion, this is the first step "off-course" is to start to think about makams in terms of "scales".

I disagree that "Music does not actually operate according to systems". Amjad Ali Khan, the great sarod master described Indian music as "FREEDOM WITHIN DISCPLINE". The same is true of BEBOP JAZZ, another great "system" of improvisation. To illustrate I will make comparison:
I am a pretty good cook, because I have some technique, a good imagination, and a fine intuition... however, there is no "system" in my cooking method. I just put whatever ingredientS I have in the fridge in the pot, and varying amounts of whatever spices are left in the spice shelf - mix together - or various things in separate pots, or whatever, and COOK AWAY! The result is always very tasty and satisfying. However, my girlfriend often complains that after a while everything I cook sort of tastes the same, and my dishes, although tastey, rarely have any kind of clearly identifiable characteristic flavour.

Whereas, when she cooks (very rarely) she takes out a cook book and finds a particular dish and sets about doing her best to create that meal according to the instructions given. Of course along the way she has to improvise somewhat and add this or that or substitute something else or whatever - but the end result is something very recognisable as something particular. Like, WOW THIS TASTES REALLY ITALIAN, or whatever. Whenever this happens I realise that thru my systemless mixing of whatever is at hand - my food becomes finally characterless.

In my opinion - perhaps this is one way in which Arab music is suffering. For example...

Each makam in fact has it's own individual character, flavour, and MOOD. This individuality comes out as a result of following it's specific SEYIR. Afterall makams USSAK, BAYATI, and ACEM all share the same "scale", but in fact have completely different moods. But Arab maqam BAYATI tends to be played like a scale in which all these makams (plus huseini, karcigar, and more) seem to be mixed in together perhaps unsystematically sometimes. Seems to me that the fine flavour of USSAK is lost, as is that of "systematic" BAYATI, ACEM etc.

Another point and opinion I wanted to share is that I often hear people crisicise intellectuality in music as an element that seems to automatically, by it's very presence, degrade the HEART/EMOTIONAL element in music. Finally I have never been able to understand the logic in this assumption. I mean, back to cooking, if I want to make a cafe and put in 1 kilo of sugar, does this then make it impossible for me also to put in 1 kilo of salt? or vise versa? Why is it then not possible to have a music which is both very highly intellectually refined, and very deeply emotional?

From my time in Istanbul I was deeply moved and impressed not only with the systematic sophistication of their music, but much more so by emotional heartrending of it.

I also deeply love Arabic music and Arab oud playing - otherwise I would not be here in Cairo...

Edward Powell - 2-24-2009 at 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by eliot
This whole "more real" or "more authentic" or "more anything" argument is a red herring.

Who were the Ottomans who created makam-s? Were they only Turks? No. Walter Feldman's lengthy and, unfortunately mistitled, Music of the Ottoman Court accomplishes very well the objective of ascertaining exactly who composed, performed, and consumed the music now known as TSM/ KTM/ OSM. At certain points in time, the majority of the sultanate-employed musicians were not Turkish at all but Persians, Jews, Greeks, Armenians, Roma, Arabs, Moldavians, etc. At other points in time, the balance shifted so that many more Turks were involved in the creation of urban music. So whose music is it?

The Dede Efendi makam-s in Turkey were highly influenced, we know, from him observing opera performances that happened from 1797 onwards (Sultan Selim III loved European opera and sponsored its happening in Istanbul). It could easily be argued that Dede Efendi "westernized" the makam system. Yes, some of his makam entities were more complex, but are they more or less real for it?

Masel's right to point out the Persian origin of certain makams and makam names. The Persian makam system existed and was used up until the creation of the dastgah system, then fell out of use somewhat. However, we don't really know how much of the Persian system really spread throughout the Middle East, and whether anything other than some maqam names and some basic interval patterns spread as well.

We will NEVER be able to prove that the maqam/makam system as we know it today originated in one place and spread, since we lack solid evidence about what musical systems existed throughout Anatolia, in Egypt, in the Levent, etc. that were either displaced or adapted to fit within a system of maqam. We do not have repertoire from 13th-17th century Iran that is widely played in either the current Turkish or Arab speaking world.

We don't even really know how widespread the knowledge of maqamat was in the 17th century, outside of the few people who wrote about it. So I hesitate to affirm that maqam went from point A to B, end of story. It's not as if Persians were not influenced by musicians, music styles, and thought that came from abroad. A lot of stuff was in circulation during the Safavid period - Islamic jurisprudence scholars, musicians, philosophy, material goods, instruments, maqamat, etc.

thanks for taking the time to explain all this Eliot ...very insightful and helpful
Thanks!

Masel - 2-24-2009 at 02:10 PM

Yes I agree that freedom is only worth while when it is freedom with restriction, there needs to be a strong grounding element otherwise the music floats everywhere meaninglessly and that is something that arabic music suffers today.

The cooking metaphor was good and I agree with it (I cook the same way as you but with a more middle-eastern bias), I need to learn some recipies, but regardless I think wouldn't eat anything with a kilo of sugar, much less a kilo of salt on top of it!

Brian Prunka - 2-24-2009 at 05:44 PM

Edward, it's an interesting discussion you've prompted here.

If you read my post closely I nowhere say that the maqam is a scale. A scale is a collection of different pitches presented in a sequential order. Therefore, all maqamat CONTAIN a scale, by definition. Of course a maqam is not equal to or "just" a scale. In the context of my statement, the same scale (i.e., collection of pitches) could represent different maqamat, which used to have different names. Now, however, for the purposes of nomenclature, the scale is just given one maqam name, even though in practice the same scale may function as different maqamat.

By the way, Dr. Marcus has written some of the most extensive research on Arabic music theory available. Based on your questions, I highly recommend you read his doctoral dissertation, it deals with a lot of what you seem interested in.

I base my statement on the oud's importance on several observations:
The oud is a prominent instrument in the Arab ensemble, and every major composer plays oud, most perform on it. This is not the case with ottoman music, where the tanbur, kemance, and nay are all at least as important as, and possibly more important than, the oud. The clarinet is also at least as important as the oud. It is entirely possible to have a turkish group with no oud, but it is pretty much unthinkable in the Arab world. While there is a lot of solo oud from Turkish musicians, this seems to be a relatively recent phenomenon, and it has little impact on the overall importance of oud in the music.

You can disagree with the notion that music doesn't operate according to systems, but in the case of Bebop, you are most certainly mistaken. There is plenty of discipline and rigor in the practice of the music, but it is not according to any defined system (though there have been many attempts, with varying degrees of success, to infer the "rules" from the actual practice, which proceeds without regard to rules). If you've figured out the Bebop system, you should write a book, you'll make a million dollars.
Furthermore, it is obvious that music does not operate according to systems, since if that were the case, anyone who knew the system could be a great improviser or composer. Anyone who knows me would tell you: I am the last person who would disparage the role of the intellect in great music, and I heartily endorse systematic attempts to understand music. But that is all they are, attempts to understand why something works. To confuse the system for the working itself is a grave error.
I know the problem you're describing, but I haven't found it to be a problem with pro players.

eliot - 2-24-2009 at 08:00 PM

If you play with your heart, all these problems slowly fade away...

Edward Powell - 2-24-2009 at 11:48 PM

I contend that it is misleading to claim that all maqamat contain a scale. For example, from my understanding- just speaking in very very simple terms for the sake of debate- if we take bayati:
- for example, when ever you are playing in a makam you always have in your head or your subconscious WHAT IS YOU CURRENT "CENTER OF GRAVITY"... if I am playing bayati and my current center of gravity is the lower tetrachord, then the "scale" will be the normal scale we tend to call Bayati.
- but when my center of gravity shifts to the upper tetrachord and beyond then the 6th degree shifts from full flat to a half flat position.

So if one thinks in terms of scales, then which scale do you identity as being the REAL bayati scale?

- - -

I certainly don't claim to be an expert on any of these topics --- but I can offer some of my observations. For example, I recently spent one year in Istanbul and attended dozens and dozens of concerts of makam-based music - TSM etc.. In every single concert there was at least one oud player. I don't recall even once seeing a clarinet in a concert hall ensemble.
Furthermore, just last Friday night here in Cairo I attended a concert put on by a Classical music group from the Zamelek music academy-- there was no oud player in this group. What I have noticed is that in the current Arab classical groups there tends always to be at least 10 or more violins and even more vocalists. Yes, of course there is usually an oud also, but you can never hear anything he is playing.

- - -

In fact there have already been hundreds of wonderful books describing magnificantly the system found in Bebop, and I don't think any of those authors made much money however. The system in bebop is simply this:
-you have a rather complex chord progression and this goes around in cycles continuously.
-i call this a "complex" chord progression as opposed to a "simple" chord progression because if one simply plays one scale on top of this, it will at times clash melodically with the underlying chords. With a 'simple chord progression' - like the 12 bar blues- the soloist can pretty much get away with playing one scale all the way thru and it will basically always fit.
-with bebop, one scale does not work.
-with bebop there is simply to way around it... if you want to improvise meaningfully over a complex chord progression you simply must know what chord is happening NOW, and what notes will fit over that chord. This is what I call a SYSTEM.

I agree that it can be argued, and perhaps Brian, this is your point, that the first bebop players, as with the first makam players were not thinking systematically. Bebop developed from American pop songs from the 30's and the first improvisers simply played the melody then embellished it and on and on and developed their soloing in this way. But, Charlie Parker who is known as the inventor of modern bebop was famous for long hours of sitting under a bridge and systematically practicing all possible scales, progressions, melodies, and arpeggios etc, in all 12 keys (try doing that on an oud! it is almost as difficult on a sax)! It was only thru this disciplined and incredibly systematic approach that he was finally able to internalise a very complex system to the point where it became utterly second nature - and hense in practice he was then able to "turn off his head" and play from his heart... and create the music that he invented.

Brian Prunka - 2-25-2009 at 08:33 AM

Hi Edward,

I'm sorry but the system you described as bebop is nonsense. I don't know what your musical background is, but I am a jazz musician and a pretty fluent bebop improviser.
This is off topic, so I won't get into a lot of detail, but:
Most of the books describing the bebop "system" are extremely misguided and misleading and if followed, do not result in anything like bebop playing. I'd be curious for your examples as to what you think are good books. David Baker, one of the first writers to attempt to systematize bebop logic, made some decent money, but his books are (while a worthwhile attempt), not very good. Ditto for George Russell (though his ideas are interesting in their own right). Most subsequent books are attempts to refine their fundamentally flawed ideas. Jamey Aebersold, I'm sure has made lots of money with his "how to improvise" stuff. There are certainly not "hundreds of wonderful books" about it. I can name exactly two, and a lot of other books that are marginally useful.
The chord progressions in Bebop are simple, they are the same chord progressions used in swing and dixieland for the most part. The complexity is only in that the chords change more often.
Playing the same scale over the 12 bar blues fits just about as well as it does over any other chord progression. You can play from the same scale over lots of complex chord progressions, you just have to play the right notes at the right time. As a teacher of mine once said, "there's a scale that fits over every chord progression: the chromatic scale". It's sort of a joke, but really it's not.
You said "if you want to improvise meaningfully over a complex chord progression you simply must know what chord is happening NOW, and what notes will fit over that chord. This is what I call a SYSTEM."
Calling that a system is quite a stretch, in my opinion. A system, as I understand it, would have to be quite a bit more involved.
I would also say that while you're correct that you must know what chord is happening at all times, all 12 notes will work over every chord, it's more a matter of knowing HOW each note works over every chord, and how melodic phrases are structured, because music is linear and temporal--it's about how things are changing (why we call it "playing changes"), not about each chord in isolation. And even so, that does not describe a system, but just a process.

You're somewhat right in discerning my point--the CREATORS of music are not applying a system.
(by the way, it was Sonny Rollins who practiced on the bridge, not Charlie Parker).

Brian Prunka - 2-25-2009 at 09:32 AM

Quote:

--even the way that the most common maqam here (bayati) has, in common practice, seemingly lost its directional characteristics - - resulting in what looks like sort of a combination of Ussak, Bayati, and Huseini all wrapped into one - - - essentially it looks like Arab Bayati is just a sort of free-from use of the bayati-scale.

I think that we have a misunderstanding here, since even you seem to acknowledge that there is an underlying scale being used. Otherwise, why are you likening Bayati, Ussak and Huseini? what do they all have in common? Clearly you also are aware that there is a scale relationship. To answer your question, the scale would be: D E/b F G A Bb B/b C, with both variants of B being used at different times. Note that I am not saying that this is the best way to understand performance practice, merely that there is a matter of fact at hand: they all have the same (or nearly the same) underlying scale. This in no way contradicts maqam theory or the use of ajnas to gain a more nuanced understanding of what is happening.
Some extremely accomplished Arab musicians I know (who certainly have a deeper understanding of maqam than you or I) insist that it is the Turks who have corrupted the maqam with their incessant theorizing and naming, not that Arab musicians have dumbed-down the Ottoman theory.

Also be aware that there is historically a significant gulf between theoreticians and performers, and the postulations of theory are rarely prescriptive (even when they intend to be), but are merely attempts to describe practices that have arisen for musical reasons.

Edward Powell - 2-25-2009 at 02:26 PM

Brian, you make some very good points, and I agree with what you say about bebop.

...also, if you have found a way to think about makam that has helped you to understand it then all the power to ya. Personally I think that all these types of music require us as individuals to figure out our own ways to make sense out of them. Some people are more right brained - some more left brain, some some people work better off intuition - others a more intellectual approach.

I know I have the tendency to get very enthusiastic about what has worked for me, and then in my enthusiasm sometimes try to ram my ideas down other peoples throats :))

I think, whatever works to help us make beautiful music is totally ok by me!

Brian Prunka - 2-25-2009 at 05:25 PM

Hi Edward,
I tend to be pretty analytical and systematic about how I approach things, which is helpful, but that very process has proven to me how it's impossible to capture the complexity of any music in a system.
The unsystematic way in which the Arab maqam is taught (in my experience) is deliberate, in order to force the student to connect with the music in a direct (that is non-theoretical) way. Some teachers could discuss the maqam seyir if they wished, but they do not feel that it is the appropriate way to learn--you learn by imitation until you HEAR the correct way to play and then you will know why it is correct, when you really hear it properly. Ultimately, to play at a high level, you have to hear correctly, and then you can play anything you wish (because your wishes will be proper).
I certainly haven't even come close to mastering any maqam. I'm considering studying with a good ottoman-style player when I get a chance, specifically because I think (as a westerner) that it would helpful to have more explicit guidelines.

eliot - 2-25-2009 at 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Prunka
The unsystematic way in which the Arab maqam is taught (in my experience) is deliberate, in order to force the student to connect with the music in a direct (that is non-theoretical) way.

This is a very interesting theory...

Quote:
I'm considering studying with a good ottoman-style player when I get a chance, specifically because I think (as a westerner) that it would helpful to have more explicit guidelines.

What's most fun is when you get all those explicit guidelines and later find out that they bear little relation to what your teacher would actually play in a normative situation.

Edward Powell - 2-26-2009 at 12:48 AM

I feel it like a long staircase we must climb... and those of us who are native Westerners must realise and accept that. Everything that I say and suggest is coming from one Westerner to supposedly another.

I have to agree with you Brian that an ideal situation is the one you describe in which the master is always nearby to "direct" the young students 'ear development' -- -- -- just the way a child learns to speak a spoken language simply thru talking and listening, rather than thru books.

However, from my own experience, with, when I started playing the oud 15 years ago, I could hardly even find recording!! Let alone theoretical teaching. . . . all I could find were a few recordings and a few lists of scales. This did not help me too much.

It was not until I encountered the very precisely laid out and systematic Ottoman approach that the whole thing began to make A LOT of sense.

However, as Eliot suggests, this finally is just one more step in the grand staircase because in fact this "theory" is only perhaps a more detailed 'direction pointer' - it is not finally exactly what the musicians play.

Luckily, my teachers have always made it clear to me that with makam music there is NO fixed way... and that in the end the theory will always contradict the practice - - - - so keeping this always in mind is very helpful.

happy climbing :xtreme:

jazzchiss - 2-26-2009 at 01:32 AM

Hi, folks.

Interesting discussion about maqamat and bebop but, in my opinion, theory is good for reading and writing music, but not much useful for improvising. The better way to learn how to improvise is listen to records and play with them.

As a former western jazz musician (fan of Eric Dolphy), the maqam theory looks quite crazy for me and I prefer to think in scales with added alterations.

On the other hand, I've found very useful the approach of teaching of Samy Abu Shumays in http://maqamlessons.com/

Edward Powell - 2-26-2009 at 12:44 PM

...i will admit to one thing that irritates my about music in Turkey (and anywhere), is when musicians have to read the music on stage. First of all I hate the music stands blocking the view, and second, I feel that the act of having to use the intellect so forcefully to read the notes - acts as a block to the heart element.

my feeling is that if the musicians can't memorise the pieces, they should play more simple pieces and improvise more. . . . OR at least reduce the amount of onstage sight-reading to a point at which it does not dominate the concert.

The written page is a relatively new thing in Turkey - I heard that it was introduced first by a Polish guy!:wavey:

Masel - 2-27-2009 at 12:33 AM

Hey Edward I talked about persian dastgah but also I'd recommend listening to iraqi maqam. This is a musical style, there are many maqamat, though you cannot really look at it the same way as normal maqam/makam. Each maqam is a whole piece, some have distinct characters which you could use in a taqsim or composition but others seem to have no special charactaristics, such as the many variations on bayat like jburi, ibrahimi or bhirzawi, but hopefully someone more knowledgable can add information.

In the meantime here is maqam araybun sung by Yusuf Omar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdR4T4dBAOM&feature=sdig&et=...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r7BvU320sA&feature=related

Edward Powell - 2-27-2009 at 01:30 AM

...but where do we hear sources of ORIGINAL IRAQI MAQAMAT??

of course we know that TARGAN opened the oud school in Bagdad in 1938 and from then on taught Turk makam and style. . .

Did the iraqi maqam survive at all?
If yes, I would be super interested to know and hear something about this.

(this is something I was hoping to discuss with Naseer while here, but he always seems too busy and preoccupied to settle down to a converstion - so gave up on this idea - - - and furthermore, I would question his experience with the ORIGINAL iraqi makam because he learned from the Targan school and has seemed to Westernise thing himself quite a bit. I have all of Naseer's cds on mp3 and once in a while brouse thru them hoping to find something that might resemble the old maqamat, but I never seem to be able to find that in his works. . . .)

Masel - 2-27-2009 at 09:06 AM

Those two links I gave ARE original iraqi maqam. The description of the video is very useful. Yusuf Omar learned from Mohammad alQubanji who was considered one of the best singers of his generation. Iraqi maqam has existed for hundreds of years, it was not as far as I know taught in the Targan school but maybe I'm wrong. I don't know why you have this insistance on claiming that arabic music came from turkey when clearly it is not the case (though they influenced eachother).

The videos I posted are not a song or composition in maqam araybun, they ARE maqam araybun, similar to how persian music works. Turkish and other arab music has nothing like this, this is something unique to persia, iraq, azerbaijan and a few other countries in that area (with regional differences).

Edward Powell - 2-27-2009 at 11:28 AM

Thanks so much!

unfortunately my laptop bit it again so i cant listen to these clips but will get to it as soon as i can.

Whatever gave you the impression that I am insisting that Arab music comes from Turkey? ...obviously Arab music existed long before there was significant influence from that land which we now know as Turkey.

However, it seem to me that the currently used maqam system - and the current Arab version of it is in large part something which the Ottomans developed and exported.

Of course it has been pointed out that a lot of music was brought to "Turkey" from "Persia" - but it is clear that in the Ottoman time this music developed into something uniquely it's own [as Arab music has also absorbed a multitude of influences- the latest one being Western music, and previous to that Ottoman --- and developed something uniquely it's own]

Mainly I would really like to stress is that I am really not trying to push my opinions - in fact I am really HOPING that someone can convince me somehow that some uniquely truly ARAB MAQAMAT actually exist! IF ANYONE KNOWS OF ANY - PLEASE SPEAK UP!!!

So in fact I am very ignorant, all I have seen is that the maqams in Arab music seem to be Arabised versions of Ottoman makams (which might have been imported from Persia).

Yes, in my theory books I notice some arab maqams that I have never encountered in the Ottoman repertoire, I mentioned them earlier. . . maqamat like NAIRUZ, SIKAH BALADI , etc... BUT WHERE ARE THE COMPOSITIONS IN THESE MAQAMAT?

I actually came to Egypt hoping to find a unique and separate form of maqam, but what I found seems to be an Arab version of the Ottoman one. I still hope someone can convince me otherwise, but it hasn't happened yet - - - that was the point of starting this thread.

And, in the process, now of understanding in fact how important the role of Ottoman music truly was in influencing Arab and oud music, I feel that Ottoman music ought to recognised as such.

Christian1095 - 2-27-2009 at 01:34 PM

Edward,

Is it possible that over a 8000 years of human habitation, the people of the region have a system of music that is similar from one end of the middle east to the other? Is it possible that this was in place before someone decided to write down what they were hearing?

I would also say that music has NOTHING to do with playing notes/scales/maqqam/etc... but everything to do with how it conveys emotion. The structure is just a way for us to try to understand something that is so much bigger than us that we can never get the whole picture... and at the end of the day, our work is judged by how it sounds, not how it's constructed.

Edward Powell - 2-27-2009 at 03:20 PM

Hi Chris

You make very good points and I agree with what you say -

Some of you maybe wondering why do I seem to be hanging on this topic --- probably I should relate a bit of my own experience to shed some light on this.

The first oud I ever heard was Arab oud and I just fell madly in love with it. I later heard some Turkish oud and also loved that.... Then some Iraqi and loved it also.... It all seemed so wonderful to me, but I had no clue how to go about learning it.

From the information that was available it simply seemed (and generally still does, on the surface of things) like oud maqam art is essentially an Arab art form which has spread somewhat outside of the Arab world to places like Turkey and Sudan, but that the Arab world is the center of it all.

So, with this knowledge I set out to decide where to go and learn oud. . . so WHERE TO GO? Obviously an Arab country it seemed. At that time Egypt was too dangerous so I narrowed it down to Morocco and Turkey. I really assumed that either Morocco or Turkey would be equally good places to learn oud, but neither of these would be a good as Cairo itself.

When I got to Morocco I was pretty disappointed to find out that there was really very little going on there in terms of classical oud playing. There was a lot of other great music, but not much oud music.

Many years later I had a chance to go to Crete and spend three months at Ross Daly's music center there --- the first thing everyone there asked me was; "what instrument do you play?" ...the second question they all asked me was "Arab or Turkish oud?"

I was amazed by this question, and especially that EVERYONE asked me this same question.

All the players there including Ross played in Turkish style, and I could recognise the difference by all the listening I had done.

Up until this time, I had not really made great progress in understanding how to really play in makam.... all I had been able to summise is that there are these "scales", and then you modulate to other scales, and something like this - - - I really didn't UNDERSTAND it.

There on Crete I got some lessons in Turkish makam and had plenty of long talks with Ross. For the first time playing in makam started to make sense. The Ottoman system really seemed to make sense and shed a lot of light on what is going on - and what needs to be considered in order to play something that will resemble middleeastern musical style.

At this point I still could not decide which to focus on: Arab or Ottoman makam learning..... I applied for a grant to study with naseer shamma but didn't get it - - - instead went back again to Crete and studied some more of the Ottoman system. At that time there were no teachers there but luckily I found a few books written in Turkish and plenty of recordings in Ross's collection.... I spent 2 months totally alone analysing those recordings and comparing them to the books - - as well as talking to some makam players occationally passing thru.

After that I got a grant to study with necati celik for 6 month in istanbul...

Being in istanbul totally blew my mind - - - the place seemed to be crawling with great oud players - many of which were just young guys! I was quite shocked by the tremendously high level of oud playing and at how knowledgable and sensative they all are. These players have a very deep knowledge of makam and classical repertoire.

It really made me wonder how I could have ever considered that Turkey and Morocco could be considered equally worthwhile places to study classical oud! But how is a beginning oud player from the West supposed to know this??! We in the West get the impression that classical oud playing is in its most developed form in the Arab world.... and Morocco is well part of the Arab world and otherwise well known for being an extremely musical country -which it is!

I only have to say that I am REALLY glad that I met Ross who indirectly pointed me in the direction of Ottoman music for gaining a good understanding of the way of makam. Without getting turned on the Istanbul scene I really don't know where my oud playing would still be at today.

Now coming down here to Cairo I still really imagined that I would encounter practically a next Istanbul in terms of multitudes of great oud players, except that they would be playing rather in Arabic style. Well, unless they are all hiding somewhere still unknown to me, this unfortunately has not exactly happened that way.

The biggest oud highlight of my trip here is when Joseph Tawadros (from Australia) come to visit me and in just a couple of short meetings made my whole trip down here worthwhile. . . . of course I am really super glad I came here, this in not the point of what I am saying. I also don't want to debate about who should get the credit for developing oud art music - - -

The only point I would like to make, and from my own experience is that in the world of information available today to unaware beginning potential oud players in the West, there is not much way to know how great an oud center Istanbul is. From the info available it appears that Turkey is on the sidelines of makam and oud music ---- I apologise if I appear to claim that Turkey is the center and the original..... this is clearly inaccurate and false- - - - however I wish that at the time that I was starting out I could have know what a great scene there is in istanbul and how intelligible and understandable (for Westerners) is the Ottoman system for teaching makam.

katakofka - 2-27-2009 at 03:52 PM

Ed
There is an efficient system in Turkey to produce quality instrument players. Yordal and the best players in Turkey teach in the ITU. Have you seen those trio oud players of the group" 3edm"? the 3 of them studied in the ITU and many others I assume.
Where are the best players in Egypt and are they teaching? is there any national institute in which a student musician is encouraged to enter? Beit el oud is not a reflection of the Egyptian style on oud as we all agree on that.
Syria is a better place than Egypt in my view to get a clear idea about arabic oud playing. Although there is a Turkish influence in syria (north of syria mainly) however oud players there (Alepo and Damas) are much more traditional as compared to what you find in Egypt where the influence of Nasser shamma's style has a major impact.
So...move to syria :Dand Damas and go to the arabic institute there and you might get a different picture

One of the best oud player in Syria is Issam Rafea who has a position as Chair of the Arabic Music Department University in Damascus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90IM6mu8Two
He came to the Kennedy Center in 2004.The concert was arranged by the Syrian government and the Syrian ambassador in the US to promote Syrian music.

katakofka - 2-27-2009 at 04:20 PM

Another issue. Arabic music is mainly singing music. Instrumental music is called literally " muted music" since no one is singing in it. Traditionally, and since the abbassid dynasty, the oud was rather for the service of the human voice. Here where the Turkish introduce the change by creating music for instruments (lounga and others).
The point is you need to explore much more the singing music to get a good idea about the arabic music and arabic makamaat. You might be really mislead if you hear only instrumental music in the arab world and miss lot of info.

Brian Prunka - 2-27-2009 at 04:39 PM

There are musicians in the country formerly known as Palestine who are also quite able to teach authentic Arabic maqam. Kamil Shajrawi is an excellent oud and violin player and quite knowledgeable. He's based in Nazareth. Tasseer Elias is another excellent oud player. Nassim Dakwar is a very knowledgeable violinist from Haifa (he and Elias play together in Ziryab Trio).

While you're in Egypt, you should try to get in contact with Alfred Gamil. I understand he is a very knowledgeable teacher (he plays violin and oud, and a strong academic background as well as being a performer and composer).
I found a phone number for him: 00202-7820640
I don't know if it is current though. If it doesn't work, I can ask some friends how to get in touch with him.

Edward Powell - 2-28-2009 at 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by katakofka
Ed
There is an efficient system in Turkey to produce quality instrument players. Yordal and the best players in Turkey teach in the ITU. Have you seen those trio oud players of the group" 3edm"? the 3 of them studied in the ITU and many others I assume.
Where are the best players in Egypt and are they teaching? is there any national institute in which a student musician is encouraged to enter? Beit el oud is not a reflection of the Egyptian style on oud as we all agree on that.
Syria is a better place than Egypt in my view to get a clear idea about arabic oud playing. Although there is a Turkish influence in syria (north of syria mainly) however oud players there (Alepo and Damas) are much more traditional as compared to what you find in Egypt where the influence of Nasser shamma's style has a major impact.
So...move to syria :Dand Damas and go to the arabic institute there and you might get a different picture

One of the best oud player in Syria is Issam Rafea who has a position as Chair of the Arabic Music Department University in Damascus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90IM6mu8Two
He came to the Kennedy Center in 2004.The concert was arranged by the Syrian government and the Syrian ambassador in the US to promote Syrian music.

this is true what you say.

and very good advice to go to Syria - - - and wouldnt that be funny because it was a Syrian oud player that very first TURNED ME ON TO THE OUD. The first time i heard omar nachichbendi I KNEW i must learn that!:buttrock:

Edward Powell - 2-28-2009 at 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by katakofka
Another issue. Arabic music is mainly singing music. Instrumental music is called literally " muted music" since no one is singing in it. Traditionally, and since the abbassid dynasty, the oud was rather for the service of the human voice. Here where the Turkish introduce the change by creating music for instruments (lounga and others).
The point is you need to explore much more the singing music to get a good idea about the arabic music and arabic makamaat. You might be really mislead if you hear only instrumental music in the arab world and miss lot of info.

another excellent point...

i agree totally.

Edward Powell - 2-28-2009 at 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Prunka
There are musicians in the country formerly known as Palestine who are also quite able to teach authentic Arabic maqam. Kamil Shajrawi is an excellent oud and violin player and quite knowledgeable. He's based in Nazareth. Tasseer Elias is another excellent oud player. Nassim Dakwar is a very knowledgeable violinist from Haifa (he and Elias play together in Ziryab Trio).

While you're in Egypt, you should try to get in contact with Alfred Gamil. I understand he is a very knowledgeable teacher (he plays violin and oud, and a strong academic background as well as being a performer and composer).
I found a phone number for him: 00202-7820640
I don't know if it is current though. If it doesn't work, I can ask some friends how to get in touch with him.

Great idea - and THANKS Brian!

...generally what confuses me and has lead me to my current opinions is that when I do come across an Arab player who really seems to know the theory, generally what they are telling me is that the Arab and the Ottoman makam theory is just totally the same thing... the only difference is that after the Turks left, some of the interval placings shifted (some for cultural reasons, others for convenience as a result of the conference).

This is why finally I have decided simply to take the Ottoman system as my SOURCE for makam theory (since I find nothing lacking there - as far as ANY theory can go)... what I am mostly trying to catch from Arab music is the style and form.

When I look at Arab maqamat from an Ottoman theoritcal viewpoint I can understand it well. The Ottoman details help me to understand what is going on. . . . thereafter there obviously seem different ways that each school develops certain makams. . . for example Rast goes in very different directions typically in both schools, but all of it is intellegible if I make use of Ottoman theory.

Now, after I look much more deeply into Arab vocal music, and perhaps make a trip to syria, then my opinions and practice might change.

Everything is always open to revision :)

Brian Prunka - 2-28-2009 at 10:48 AM

Edward,

I think you've found a very reasonable and pragmatic approach.
I would just be careful about confusing two things:

1. using Turkish makam theory as your source for understanding makam/maqam, because it's better documented/explained

2. thinking of Ottoman makam as the source for Arab maqam, in a historical sense.

The two are unrelated, and you can't infer the second from the first. Just because the Turks are more fond of theory doesn't mean they invented the music. As someone pointed out previously, there has been too much cultural exchange in all directions to say "Arab maqam is derived from Ottoman makam". Arab maqam was heavily influenced by Ottoman music, but the influence went the other direction as well.

Your points about the apparent one-sidedness of the forum is well-taken, but I don't think it's intentional. For one thing, most of us here are well aware of the general superiority of Turkish instructional materials, and it's obvious that the majority of Samai's and Longas are written by Ottoman composers. Almost all Bashrafs are written by Ottoman composers, since that form never became particularly popular in the Arab music world (in contrast to the Samai, of which there are many composed by Arabs). So people don't always mention it because it's so obvious, not because they're not aware of it.

Also, people tend to focus on what they're interested in most, so much of the exclusion is unintentional. There are several forum members here who are passionate about Ottoman/Turkish music and post about it with regularity (Mavrothis, and Eliot come to mind). If you look at the sound files and videos people post, it's clear that most of us are interested in all kinds of oud playing.

Edward Powell - 2-28-2009 at 12:40 PM

ok - - - my understanding is beginning to take a new shape... now I will start a new thread with a slightly different focus...

By the way, today I found out about a bunch of exclusively Egyptian maqamat... very exciting!

I have a very long talk with Antar today, and he set me straight on many issues.

charlie oud - 3-2-2009 at 06:31 PM

Hey Edward, Can you share these exclusively Egyptian maqamat please. The notes and names. Thanks, C.

Edward Powell - 3-3-2009 at 11:42 AM

i'll have that list on Friday:buttrock:

Owain-Hawk - 3-3-2009 at 01:17 PM

I'd appreciate that list too, Edward! I'm pretty sure Rast is one of them though...

-Thanks.

Edward Powell - 3-3-2009 at 01:58 PM

Rast is an "exclusively Egyptian Maqam"???

charlie oud - 3-8-2009 at 10:35 AM

Hey Edward, any sign of that list yet?. C

Edward Powell - 3-8-2009 at 11:42 AM

haha!

The funny thing is that Mohammed promised me that list on our 3 hour train journey to Alex. for our gig, but as it turned out the bendir player and the singer, both also blind guys, ended up sitting with Mohammed and they were just having a hell of a time - 3 hours of continuous joking and laughing (drove me nuts after a while:)))

...so, no list yet.

But I do want to add that during my VERY LONG rehearsals with Antar (typically 6 hours long --- during which we actually practice for about 20 minutes) we have enjoyed hours and hours of long conversation. I am teaching him some things about Indian music and he is teaching me A LOT about Arab and Turkish music.

In fact, I wanted to add that he has really finally set me straight with regard to my confusion about the origin of makam, and thinking that a lot of it was coming from Turkey. I realise now that Arab classical music itself is an extremely sophisticated affair and has been going on in very developed form for more than 1000 years.

The problem is that here and now there is not much of it left. Almost nothing in Cairo, so it gets you wondering! This is really a pity. Egypt has suffered greatly as a result of colonisation. Egyptians have A LOT of work to do in order to find themselves again and rebuild what they have lost. IMO

charlie oud - 3-8-2009 at 02:17 PM

Yeah, you're right, it gets you wondering. But remember, music evolves Edward and maybe people started to get fed up with hearing the same old thing and simply began to think, "Hey guys this is boring, no ones listening anymore and folk are'nt into playing this stuff anymore, shall we move on?". I dont think we should mourn the passing of musical forms, maqamat or any other, it usually means their time is up and its not as if there is a shortage of maqamat, quite the opposite if anything. Also, they are really easy to make up. In the end its all about content, meaning and delivery, not scales. C

Edward Powell - 3-8-2009 at 11:33 PM

Yes I agree with some of what you are saying Charlie, for sure. Yes music must "move on", and it is NOT about losing maqams or something.

I for sure agree that if would be depressing to go on playing the "old style" on and on and on simply because it had reached an incredibly high level of development. Still it must be torn down and started again - this is the way things always need to go.

However, what I strongly disagree with is when you are in Cairo and you go to a concert or a school and they tell you that THIS is the REAL Egyptian/Arab classical music, and they really believe they are telling you the truth - - - when in fact since about 1950 the classical music in Egypt changed dramatically and now shares almost no resemblence to what was before.

I disagree with this because it is totally misleading. They try to give the impression that Arab classical music is still alive and still being taught - and in this way they are truly guaranteeing it's death.

At least if they would admit that it doesn't exist anymore in the form that it existed in for 800 or 900 years before the post-colonial period... at least if they would admit this fact, then perhaps some talented young musicians would take matters in their own hands and try to revive the old tradition.

Personally I agree with reviving old traditions. But I don't agree with making a museum piece out of an old music. REVIVING means bringing back to LIFE... and when something is ALIVE it also means it is growing and changing.

So why not "globalise" the makam system.

The problem as I see it is that they are trying to globalise Arab music, but in practice what they are doing is taking to worst and most incompatible elements from musics from "other" (actually only Western) cultures. The result of this is the destruction and elimination of those unique elements previously found in Arab music which made it the beautiful music it was. For just one example, Arab music is based on one melody line and it was not originally intended for this one line to be played exactly as it is written - it was intended that the players can "bring the melody to life" by adding their own little decorations. Now, for the last 900 years in Arab music you never would find more than one of any kind of instrument in an ensemble (this was the rule)... why, because each instrument will ornament the melody. So if you have 15 violins (as they commonly do now) in a typical "Arab music" ensemble, and each violin is decorating the melody--- this is not going to sound very pleasant, right?

Therefore now when you go to a concert, with these extremely large western style orchestras they, out of necessity, play the music note for note as it is written - - - DEAD! No ornamentation. Sure, perhaps the oud and qanun can decorate a bit but you can never hear anything they are playing because the dynamics of the these ensembles has been turning totally unsidedown... 15 violins, 20 vocalist.

They have changed to core of the music without first understanding what it was about the original form that made it so great. Afterall, the fact that one form of music can thrive for 900 years or more is shear proof that they were doing something right. I can tell you for sure that the current form of Arab classical music will not last, and in fact it is already totally dead. If it was not for the money pumped into it by the government, nobody would be playing or listening to this at all.

londonoudi - 3-19-2009 at 06:44 PM

Very interesting conversation.

I would like to add some observations.

1/I would like to draw attention to the strong link between art/music and religion that was a long time ago. The biggest musicians of even as recently as the 30's would go to religous 'mubtahileen' and 'reciters' to get there compositions checked over. This is no longer.

2/The origins of art in terms of Egyptian maqamat (more widely music of the Arabs) are primarily vocal - instruments come second.

3/ The most recent damaging effect in relation to 'Egyptian' musical art was the most recent colonial occupation;

At what point do the boundaries of heritage begin to erode in the pursuit of improvement and the broadening of horizons?

Edward, may I ask you your thoughts on M Abdel Wahhab and his contribution to Arabic/ Egyptian music? I see your point totally - it is a frustration and a sadness at what once was and what could be. But is it also possible that if these external sounds had not merged, then perhaps many would not have been interested in the first place? I believe that 'globalising the makam' system as you say, would further compound the situation, and if anything this has contributed to the effective lack of excellence.

Edward Powell - 3-20-2009 at 03:09 AM

I am realising more and more that there are so many "correct" ways to do things... and what might be right for me, might not work for someone else. It is up to each of us as individuals to answer these questions for ourselves.

I am not familiar enough with Waheb's work to answer accurately.

My feeling is that music should be allowed to mix, and develop in this way. This has always happened and must continue in order to keep music valid and alive.

However, certain types of music do not lend well to mixing because they are based on conflicting systems of intonation (for ex. Western 12TET, and Oriental JUST INTONATION), because the intonation clashes.

Another problem with compatibilty can be in the area of DYNAMICS. Very much care must be taken. For ex. I saw a concert of "Arab music" the other day and there was an oud and kanun side by side a synth, drumkit, ebass - - - You simply could not hear the oriental instruments AT ALL (except the darbuka!)

So, unless you REALLY know what you are doing, it is better not to get to couragous in mixing music of various cultures.

However, if you can organise an ensemble in which all instruments have a similar volume, and there are not too many overlapping frequencies. . . and play in the same intonation, or at least find a way that your intonations will not clash. . . then go for it. But this is very difficult to achieve, and generally fusion musician don't consider these find points at all - - - - and who comes out as the loser??? Finally the music itself. But more specifically, the acoustic instruments always lose the battle with the electronic ones, and the EQUAL TEMPERED instruments mask the intonation subtlties of modal instruments.

Butrous - 3-20-2009 at 07:38 PM

Edward,

You might find the Forum discussion on alsiadi.com useful. Alsiadi, an Instructor and Phd student at Rutgers, is teaching a class "Introduction to Arab Music" this semester. His students are posting question and discussing some of the same issues you are trying to understand on the Forum page under the topic Introduction to Arab Music.

Also, you can visit his maqamat, and music scores pages to hear real Aleppian maqamat played by Scorch software while you read the music notation.

You can visit his youtube channel, rastsol, to hear his style of playing.

feldman's ottoman court and non-turkish sources

reminore - 9-13-2011 at 02:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by eliot  

i don't know whether it makes any sense to add to such an interesting thread two years later, but i feel the need to add the following thought...i am just reading feldman's "music of the ottoman court" for the first time. going through the bibliography i am stunned to see not one greek source, either in greek, or in english dealing with byzantine music, either religious or laic. an entire 500 pages, and no mention for a liturgical tradition using many of the same makams for more than a thousand years (at least)? it is amazing to me how straight 'turkololgical' training can lead a researcher to search as far afield as central asia and kashmir, but can completely ignore a such an important field of study geographically right under his nose!

i was in greece this summer, and met with a friend of mine who has been working with medieval greek scores of the 13th and 14th centuries found in the libraries of monasteries on mt. athos, where monks recording secular music of the period are already using perso/arabic names of 'makams' like segah and rast in texts rather than the more traditional ecclesiastical greek names. there was an intense exchange of musics going on between 'rum' (the greek speaking byzantine empire) and the seljuks (and later the ottoman turks) much earlier than the fall of constantinople.

my point is only to underscore the fact that because many people do not read modern greek, and many greek works have not been translated - this entire facet of the entwined musical tradition of that part of the world remains a mystery to so many researchers...and players and just people who love the music.

a must listen on this subject is the cd, "fener'den saray'a" (from phanar to the ottoman court) by the kudsi erguner ensemble...listen to track 13, a mahur gazel sung by a church cantor in the 'byzantine' style...amazing!

arsene - 9-14-2011 at 03:19 PM

Wow, a very interesting thread indeed... I'm by no means an expert in this, but I have been wondering many times about this.

I remember reading that Dimitirie Cantemir, of Moldavian origin, one of the composers and musicologists at the Ottoman court, wrote that there was sort of a competition going on between the Persians (who were considered to be above all others and have the richest musical tradition) and the Turks. The Turks borrowed heavily from Persian classical music, but, as Elliot pointed out, since most musicians and composers were in fact either Greek, Armenian, Romanian, Italian, Polish, etc, "western" influences sneaked in as well. At one point the Turks had evolved so much that the then reigning sultan invited a Persian convoy to come listen to his musicians - that it now rivalled the splendor of that of the Persians.

Interestingly he was quite condescending of Arab musical culture, saying that "Turks and Persians enjoy music the most", they live it and breathe it, but "the Arabs do not enjoy music at all".

Furthermore, a lot of Turkish makams have persian names... (Rast, isfahan, zirefkend, pencgah, etc etc).

On the other hand, a similar system existed already in the Byzantine lands, like reminore said.

It's alive even today, also in the Romanian tradition:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiAAE0TxX1U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJN9xZ3tnKA&feature=related

As far as I know, Byzantine music knows 8 makams (at least in Romanian orthodox tradition, called "eh" or "glas"). Four of them are the main, parent makams and the other four are derivatives. Perhaps there used to be more? I don't know. They do not have names, but just numbers (either I to VIII or I-IV and I plagal to IV plagal, depending on school). This tradition definitely existed before the Turks arrived and you can also hear the influence it exerted on Turkish classical music (and ilahi).

So where did this originate? In my layman's opinion, Byzantine musical tradition is a result of Christianity's eastern roots: Jewish "tehilim" tradition of chanting psalms and middle eastern singing (in the beginning, the Church was the strongest in the Levant...)

I suppose it's extremely difficult to find a definite historical answer to all this, as nationalism unfortunately often plays a big role in these matters :)

By the way Edward, I'm playing Turkish (or is it Byzantine ;)) style, and I know many others on this forum do :)

Very interesting topic though, I could talk about this for days. In the end I think everything blended a bit... it's very unclear what originated when and where.. Too bad sometimes some people claim it exclusively for themselves!

arsene - 9-14-2011 at 03:27 PM

I looked it up - this is the order in the Romanian byzantine tradition:

There are four authentic makams (also called "eh" (pl. ehuri) or "glas" (pl. glasuri):

Ehul I - dorian
Ehul II - lydian
Ehul III - frigian
Ehul IV - milesian or mixolidian

NB these are not the same modes as we know in modern western music, even though the names are the same...

Then from those "authentic" or sacred four, there are another four derivatives

Ehul I plagal (or glasul V) - hipodorian
Ehul II plagal (or glasul VI) - hipolidian
Ehul III plagal (or glasul VII) - hipofrigian
Ehul IV plagal (or glasul VIII) - hipomilesian or hipomixolidian

you can lsiten to short examples of every mode here: http://www.sinaxar.ro/grama/formule-glasuri.html (press "asculta" to listen)

Jono Oud N.Z - 9-14-2011 at 09:15 PM

This is a very interesting subject!
I am researching Art Music from the Ottoman Empire.
Not just Istanbul but also the wider region.
I play Arabic oud, but close to Syrian style, which is pretty much in between Turkish and Egyptian.

Al Kindi Ensemble and Bezmara Ensemble are the two main groups that seem to be researching this subject and recording also at the moment.
There are many others also, but these two are particularly good.

Juliew Weiss, from Al Kindi, writes in the liner notes to 'Parfums Ottomans', that the term 'Arab' in Cantemir's day usually referred to Bedouin, and not to urban peoples of Arab origin in the Empire; e.g. Cairo, Damascus, Aleppo and Baghdad.

There is a Bashraf by Sayf Al Masry that is an excellent example of an Egyptian Ottoman composition in Cantemir's day.
This is in the Owen Wright book and is featured on the Al Kindi 'Parfums' album also.
There are even pieces by Indian composers in there, this was completely new to me.

The Greek aspect of the Ottoman music should definitely not be overlooked either, the Greeks have always been very important in regards to music.

I see Ottoman art music as being very much a multicultural phenonomon

I also love the Kudsi Erguner album with the Byzantine choir.
Kudsi also does one that blends Persian and Turkish styles.

http://www.amazon.com/Music-Arabian-Nights-Musique-mille/dp/B0014JB...

I would also like to know more about the Byzantine tradition.

From what I have read so far, it seems that the Jerusalem Church chant largely imitated that of the Synagogue.
This music spread to Syria (Antioch in particular), and then to the Byzantines. (From 'A History of Western Music' by Donald Grout.)

spartan - 9-14-2011 at 10:17 PM

As far as I know there is very few (or none) books , manuscripts etc talking about Greek.Armenian, Turk, Arab, Persian etc music before the 19th century. If mentionned most of the times it's a matter of the origin of the musician.

After the 19th century and the national movements at the middle east there is a different aspect from musicologists. Researchers for each nation are trying to emphasize on the nations music as something totally different or as the first nation who invented the modal (maqam) system. At the same time they try to erase any proof of other influences.

Since we are not musicologists, and we are just passionate with this music it's not so important who is the first nation that invented the oud, or the maqams etc.

About Byzantine music ...it's a ritual music. It's based on a modal system called Echos (in Greek this word means Sound) but it's not like maqam system , it's more like the persian Dastgah system.
It's a vocal music, and has a unique notation not the european or other.

A nice link to find some recordings etc about
http://analogion.com/

When I hear this kind of ritual music I can see common things and influences with the Dervish Mevlana ritual music.

During centuries many important composers wrote Byzantine and Classical Ottoman music
Zaharya Hanende is a great example.
He wrote important Byzantine music but also great Samais and Sarkis.
(listen to Saba Samai or the beautiful Huseyni Agir Samai)
Zaharya Hanende was a Byzantine composer and at the same time the Sultan's personnal singer.

Two other important composers to listen is Manouil Lambadarios and Petros Peloponnisios

Petros Peloponnisios was a great composer of the 18th century. He wrote Byzantine hymns but also samais. There is a legend that he also sang at Dervish rituals.
The legend or history says that when he died the Mevlevi Dervishes came to his funeral to play with neys and put a ney in his arms...

Jono Oud N.Z - 9-14-2011 at 11:06 PM

I have a really good recording of some of Zaharya Hanende's pieces.

http://www.buyarabic.com/storeItem.asp?ic=MU9398677GN785

This is very good!

The books: 'Music of the Ottoman Court', and 'A History of Arabian Music to the 13th Century' deal with older music (pre' 19th cent').

I am also studying to be an Ethnomusicologist myself, and am very involved in extensive research into this maqam music.
I agree that the 19th century was a time of nationalism, and that this music is a shared tradition; no one ethnic group 'owns' it.

This is also very good. Isak Algazi was a top singer of Ottoman music and a Synagogue cantor, he would listen to the Mevlevi's and they would listen to him, very much a mutual respect.

http://www.amazon.com/Algazi-Efendi-Rabbi-Isaac-Turkey/dp/B000VYBYY...

This website: http://analogion.com/
is very interesting, thanks.:)
I will look more into this music.