Mike's Oud Forums

The real deal

DaveH - 4-6-2009 at 04:02 AM

For all those of you who bemoan the pollution of traditional arab music, the soulless aping of all things Western, and the inability of today's musicians to achieve a blend that is in any way original, this one's for you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDYPccf2-ec&feature=related

I mean, holding a qanun like a guitar. Now THAT's original.

(Please note the composer of this song is not the same George Michel whose incredible playing features on another recent thread. I think it's his uncle).

Please take particular note of the talented oudist at 1:33 who seems to be pioneering a NEW one-handed technique. This one uses just the right hand, and without a plectrum, so is in no way an infringement of the copyright already held by Naseer Shamma. In fact, Naseer reportedly gave a guarded welcome to this video as he may no longer have to turn away right-handed amputees.

Reda Aouad - 4-6-2009 at 05:14 AM

Hahahahahahahahaha...

I've already seen this man. I wonder what he is doing with his left hand on the Qanun! Maybe he should try holding the guitar like a Qanun someday :P

And about that oud player.. well no comment!

fhydan - 4-6-2009 at 06:13 AM

loool

Franck - 4-6-2009 at 07:22 AM

love the left hands of the kanun and oud player ... so graceful!

Very cheesy and funny.

John Erlich - 4-6-2009 at 10:31 AM

What a Fars...uh...I mean a farce! I suppose that's inevitable result of having our largest concentration of Iranian-American population--600,000--in such close and dangerous proximity to Hollywood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6z_MbPLvB4&feature=related :buttrock:

Later Dudes,
John
(in NORTHERN California)

Edward Powell - 4-6-2009 at 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Reda Aouad
Maybe he should try holding the guitar like a Qanun someday

...what about some REAL music for a change? :xtreme:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqU9RZqvFKY&feature=related

paulO - 4-6-2009 at 12:05 PM

REAL indeed -- that's what I'm talking about dude -- I've heard a bit of SRV's work but never Jeff Healy...what a powerhouse group. Thanks man. (new web site suggestion: Mikes Blue's forums :cool: )

Regards..Paul

Reda Aouad - 4-6-2009 at 12:28 PM

So someone thought of holding the guitar like a qanun :airguitar:

Is that common? It's the first time I see it!

John Erlich - 4-6-2009 at 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Reda Aouad
So someone thought of holding the guitar like a qanun :airguitar:

Common at least in India: :airguitar:

DaveH - 4-6-2009 at 01:40 PM

I can't believe you're all so dismissive. It's the perfect marriage of east and west. Eagle-eyed brits d'un certain age will have spotted Adam Ant's costume from the eighties video for "stand and deliver'. And it's got dancing girls going wooh.

Wooh.

stringmanca - 4-6-2009 at 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by paulO
REAL indeed -- that's what I'm talking about dude -- I've heard a bit of SRV's work but never Jeff Healy...what a powerhouse group. Thanks man. (new web site suggestion: Mikes Blue's forums :cool: )

Regards..Paul

For those who didn't know, Jeff Healey was blind from 8 months old. He died of cancer a year ago. Amazing musician!

SamirCanada - 4-6-2009 at 06:32 PM

it was a big deal in Canada when he passed away. there was a few very nice documentaries about him on the cbc.

Powerhouse indeed!

Marina - 4-6-2009 at 10:03 PM

Girl with oud started at 1:33...
;)
Nice decoration!

Like a 10+ years ago, some Andalusian orchestra (I had an oud teacher that played there), put me and another girl to play in the first row at some concert. :D
We could not really play back then, and yes, we were proud to play with orchestra, hahahaha!

Turkey of the week (with apologies)

DaveH - 4-20-2009 at 11:49 PM

This is the last time I post something like this as I don't want to make a habit of ridiculing people's work. But this is from a CD which a friend of mine who visited Damascus awhile ago brought me. She'd just gone into a music shop and asked for an oud CD and they gave her this. I thought I'd thrown it out but it just turned up as I was cleaning my cupboard and I thought I'd share the love.

My question is... why?

Christian1095 - 4-21-2009 at 06:17 AM

zoiks! That's aweful... but I couldn't stop listening.....

charlie oud - 4-21-2009 at 06:42 AM

:mad:Nice chicks though:wavey:

John Erlich - 4-21-2009 at 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveH
But this is from a CD which a friend of mine who visited Damascus awhile ago brought me. She'd just gone into a music shop and asked for an oud CD and they gave her this.

My question is... why?

I have a bunch of stories like this from my Middle Eastern travels, especially from before I knew much about the music. Why do they always try to sell you crap if you're a foreigner? I'd be curious to hear others' funny stories.

In a Cairo clothing store in 1995, the clerk took off the Umm Kulthum and put on some awful techno music as soon as I walked in. I begged her (successfully, I think, because I managed to ask in Arabic) to put the Umm Kulthum back on.

Peace,
John

Jack_Campin - 4-23-2009 at 02:31 PM

DaveH, what format was that file in? I can't find anything on my machine (Intel Mac running Tiger) that will play it.

Brian Prunka - 4-24-2009 at 06:34 AM

Jack, the file is just missing the extension for some reason. Just change the file name to 08.mp3 and it should work.

Jack_Campin - 4-24-2009 at 03:30 PM

Thanks... I think...

It's actually a pretty slick job.