Mike's Oud Forums

Another oud project, walnut oud

sabbassi - 5-5-2009 at 01:31 AM

I have visited my friend Khalid Belhaiba in Morocco a while ago and spent a week at his place. That was an amazing experience. I'm back now in Holland with new experience and more knowledge, I have decided to build another OUD and get close as much as possible to perfection. Although nothing is perfect!
I went to the local exotic wood dealer and bought some very old Rosewood kept in dark place for long time (that will be the next oud), a couple of years old American Walnut and a stroke solid White Tulip Wood for the inlay between the ribs.
I will try in this topic to go more in details and explain the work process. Enjoy it.

urfali_63 - 5-5-2009 at 01:42 AM

i am looking forward for the photo's :xtreme:

neck and back

sabbassi - 5-5-2009 at 01:45 AM

Most of the work in this project is done by hand except cutting the ribs in to 2.5 mm thickness and 70cm length. That is done by a modest table saw.
This is two pictures showing the neck and the back blocks. The Neck block take a long time to finish as it need to be 100% symmetric at both sides and not exactly squared.
There are both fixed to a solid piece of wood and lined up and measured from both sides to have the same distance.
The back block is fixed with headless spikes so they can be removed easily when the bowl is finished

Back block

sabbassi - 5-5-2009 at 01:46 AM

Back block

sabbassi - 5-5-2009 at 01:47 AM

Hi urfali, I wil post more very soon.
Thanks

the ribs layout, numbering and profile

sabbassi - 5-5-2009 at 02:14 AM

I have laid all the 19 Ribs on the table (2 extra) and tried to have a good much in contrast and book matching, then I numbered them with left and right indication marks. After that I took the ribs profile and started drawing the long arrow profile.
The same night I have wet the ribs for the bending next day.

ribs cut

sabbassi - 5-5-2009 at 02:35 AM

The ribs are bent and cut. The are now almost 100% flat after shaping and make exactly 90 degree when laid on the floor, without any pressing. The first 3 ribs are joined without mould or anything, Just but a matching them and putting the tulip strips (1mm) in between and using a rope to tighten them.

Joining the ribs with tape

sabbassi - 5-5-2009 at 02:37 AM

Joining the ribs with tape. This is a very good method as the ud is build free from stressing the ribs

Joining the ribs with tape

sabbassi - 5-5-2009 at 02:39 AM

progress

The bow finished

sabbassi - 5-5-2009 at 02:45 AM

The bow finished

paper strips with hot glue

sabbassi - 5-5-2009 at 02:49 AM

paper strips with hot glue. This is my favorit part of the build so far, as the glue hardens, the paper and the wood become one piece of wood. amazing strong

sabbassi - 5-5-2009 at 02:52 AM

This is how far I'm now. I will update more the next days.
The bowls is cleaned up and the soundboard is Sitka spruce grade AA. This sound board is 5 mm thick and I have to bring it down to 2mm just by hand. No Drum sanders :(

last one for now

sabbassi - 5-5-2009 at 02:54 AM

the Calipper is a life saving to have all the board equaly sanded. many hours of work :(

urfali_63 - 5-5-2009 at 10:58 AM

Hi,

Sabbassi why don't you try this one with a double soundboard see here for information :

http://www.trentonscott.com/deerheadTop.shtml and here http://www.reynoldsguitars.com/dtop.shtml

good luck.

Or you can make one for me with a double soundboard :bowdown:

paulO - 5-5-2009 at 02:19 PM

The bowl is really sharp looking man ! Very cool work, that's some lovely walnut, thanks for posting this project.

Regards..Paul

Reda Aouad - 5-5-2009 at 02:25 PM

WOW!! Back to the oud after three years!

Nice bowl so far :) Very clean and meticulous craftsmanship :applause:

It's fun to follow someone's progress in detail when building a oud.. I wish I will build ouds some day.. This is great art!

:applause:

sabbassi - 5-6-2009 at 01:50 AM

Urfali,

May be 1 day I will. but it is not as easy as it looks. But I will definitely give it a try one day.
Reda, Paul, Thank you for the comment. I will post more pictures today or tomorrow.

Soundboard almost ready

sabbassi - 5-6-2009 at 04:03 AM

Soundboard is almost ready, the calipper shows 2.0mm all around and the Oval sound holes ready to be opened by hand with sharp knife.
The very final light sanding when the oud is finished will bring the board down to 1,8 or 1,9mm

sound Holes are open and braces in place

sabbassi - 5-6-2009 at 04:10 AM

Sound Holes are open and the braces in place.
When dissembling an old closet at home, I found a very old light and yellowish piece of Sitka spruce (in one of the draws). The fibers are middle wide open and very straight. I have used it for the braces. This closet must Be 15 years old at least.

almost there

sabbassi - 5-6-2009 at 04:14 AM

Neck dovetail opening

sabbassi - 5-6-2009 at 04:16 AM

Neck dovetail opening
At the back of the neck, the height of the opening is about 15mm, at the front 16,5mm

Soundboard in place

sabbassi - 5-11-2009 at 12:13 AM

I had plenty of time this weekend, so decided to go as far as I could with the OUD. The soundboard is in place and the neck has been finished and fited. All seems to fit nicely in place. the purfling around the soundboard is inside (walnut) outside (Ebony).

Ebony Fingerboard

sabbassi - 5-11-2009 at 12:15 AM

Ebony Fingerboard is been cut from a solid Ebony piece of wood. The thickness is about 2mm. final will be around 1.5

Almost there

sabbassi - 5-11-2009 at 12:22 AM

Solid Walnut hard wood peg box also finished.
The peg box and the neck are from Moroccan Walnut. Moroccan walnut is more stiff and solid than American walnut, which is more open and lighter.

fitting the pegbox

sabbassi - 5-11-2009 at 12:23 AM

fitting the peg box

Opening peg holes

sabbassi - 5-11-2009 at 12:25 AM

Opening peg holes

ALmost finished

sabbassi - 5-11-2009 at 12:28 AM

At last, I'm almost finished with the oud. the bridge, and the strings are in place.
I have put a coat of Lineseed oil on the back, I will finish the whole with the shellac later this week.

the OUD

sabbassi - 5-11-2009 at 12:29 AM

The last picture

sabbassi - 5-11-2009 at 12:33 AM

the back

Closer shot of the pickguard

sabbassi - 5-11-2009 at 01:45 AM

It was a 5 mm thick piece of beautiful wood (root). I don't know the name but as you can see, the patterns are amazing. The pick guard is brought down to little less than 1 mm.

sabbassi - 5-11-2009 at 01:47 AM

I will try to post a sound sample later this week as the strings get used to the new home and the ud has been acclimatized.

paulO - 5-11-2009 at 11:33 AM

Beautiful combinations of walnut, with some lovely grain on the neck and pegbox, and of course the bowl. Great work, thanks for posting the project. Way to go !

Cordially..PaulO

urfali_63 - 5-11-2009 at 01:21 PM

i don't have words for....but it's"prachtig"

Reda Aouad - 5-11-2009 at 01:32 PM

Very nice and clean work :applause:

Waiting to listen to this beauty!

khalil - 5-13-2009 at 08:56 PM

Very very nice work.
it looks great.
congrats

i copied all the photos in this topic to page website below:

http://www.albsryoud.com/vb/showthread.php?p=3821&posted=1#post...

regards

Ararat66 - 5-14-2009 at 10:06 AM

Fantastic Sabbassi

I'm on the South coast of England and should get over to see all you udis in the Netherlands sometime.

Cheers

Leon

IT's the root of Juniper

khalil - 5-14-2009 at 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sabbassi
It was a 5 mm thick piece of beautiful wood (root). I don't know the name but as you can see, the patterns are amazing. The pick guard is brought down to little less than 1 mm.

IT's the root of Juniper (العرعار )(Juniperus) it's a kind of tree wich found only in morocco .specially in region of essaouira;nowhere else in Africa. it has a beautiful and pleasant smell.

IT's the root of Juniper

khalil - 5-14-2009 at 12:38 PM

it' the same in those boxs.

thanks

sabbassi - 5-15-2009 at 01:27 AM

Thanks everyone for the kind words.
Here are 2 more pictures after the shellak has been applied.
Khalil , It looks like the root of juniper, but It is not. this one has no smel and it's very light and flexibel. I will come back later with the name.
I hope to post a sound file this weekend.

another one

sabbassi - 5-15-2009 at 01:28 AM

another one

khalil - 5-15-2009 at 04:43 AM

Thanks sabbassi for information about root.
your oud looks Great.
you are a great and admirable artist maker.
congrats again;
best regards.

Jonathan - 5-15-2009 at 08:57 AM

beautiful work

khalil - 5-15-2009 at 01:37 PM

HI;DEAR SABBASSI
I'M VERY GLADE TO SEE YOUR NAME IN ZERYAB SITE;ARE YOU MEMBER OF ALBSRYOUD ICOPIED YOUR OUD'S PHOTOS TO?
SALAMI WA TAHIYATI.

jdowning - 5-15-2009 at 02:11 PM

Impressive workmanship

sabbassi - 5-15-2009 at 02:27 PM

Many thanks to everyone for the encouraging words. I have realized myself that building an oud is not only nice but is does also free up all the week stress and open up many doors. not only the Oud itself but also the passion around it and the love of the music are helping me to improve my oud building skills . I still have many things to learn .

Khalil, yes I'm also at zeryab.org . they have fascinating subjects.
My name by the way is Samir

khalil - 5-15-2009 at 03:47 PM

Hi samir
it's realy a great pleasure to know somebody like you;ther's a great subjects in this site:

http://www.albsryoud.com/vb/index.html

you will learn lot of things there.
my name is khalil badi
in arabic:خاليل مبارك بادي
it's me. you have asked me how far i'm now. you were very curious to see the end result of my first oud!!!

you have mentioned the name Khalid Belhaiba.is he an oud maker?if so;where does he live?

friendly yours;

sabbassi - 5-17-2009 at 11:45 PM

As promissed: a video sample of the new born. 1 week old now.
Played with the talended friend Mohamed Ahaddaf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkSFnJPqeCs
or
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eQSJ_Jv5Y0

Alioud - 5-24-2009 at 12:06 PM

Mr. Sabbassi

Impressive work.. and the sound quality of the oud is truly amazing.

What is the string length? It looks a bit long.. 62 cm??
What are the dimensions of the soundbox?

Can you also share the bracing locations of your soundboard?? Exactly where are the braces (each brace) located?

Thank you .. and I would sure love to see more ouds made by you... this was truly an amazing oud to listen to and it also looks excellent.

Ali

Alioud - 5-24-2009 at 12:07 PM

Mr. Sabbassi

Impressive work.. and the sound quality of the oud is truly amazing.

What is the string length? It looks a bit long.. 62 cm??
What are the dimensions of the soundbox?

Can you also share the bracing locations of your soundboard?? Exactly where are the braces (each brace) located?

Thank you .. and I would sure love to see more ouds made by you... this was truly an amazing oud to listen to and it also looks excellent.

Ali

great work

muthada - 5-24-2009 at 01:36 PM

is it long like renaissance lute?

sabbassi - 5-25-2009 at 04:36 AM

Thanks guys.
The strings length is exactly 58.5. From bridge to nut.
You know the rules right? :) The neck is 19.5cm multiply this by 3 and this where the bridge need to go.
The sound board is about 51cm long and 35 wide...
I will check my book records for the braces location and I will post them. The secret here is the braces age, weight and off course the thickness and height with minor modification on the first and last brace.

msimon - 5-28-2009 at 04:08 PM

Great Job!
It is fascinating to see how the different people approach building an oud!
MS

paulO - 5-28-2009 at 06:24 PM

Hi sabbassi,

The oud sounds great, and of course it's just going to improve -- and your friend Mohamed Ahaddaf is a really fine player too.

Regards...Paul

Faladel - 7-28-2009 at 01:47 AM

Dear Sabbassi :

I send you U2U , please answers me as soon as possible.
Thank you :)

patheslip - 7-28-2009 at 04:26 AM

Brilliant project, well done indeed.

Juniperus thurifera is the tree with the marvellous root wood. It's also found, rarely, in France and Spain.

The habitat is severely degraded over much of its range.

Faladel - 7-30-2009 at 03:38 AM

Dear Sabassi:

where are you? you have not answered me my U2U.

Edward Powell - 7-30-2009 at 07:51 PM

Great Job!
Great Oud!
Great SOUND!:bounce:

Edward Powell - 11-28-2012 at 10:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by sabbassi  
The ribs are bent and cut. The are now almost 100% flat after shaping and make exactly 90 degree when laid on the floor, without any pressing. The first 3 ribs are joined without mould or anything, Just but a matching them and putting the tulip strips (1mm) in between and using a rope to tighten them.

this is if you have a REALLY FLAT FLOOR :D
...GREAT WORK!
what exactly do you mean by; "make exactly 90 degree when laid on the floor" ??

thanks!