Mike's Oud Forums

Shadd `Araban + Score + Analysis

David.B - 9-21-2009 at 12:52 PM

Here it is the professional sound clip of the taksim "Shat Arabân" by George Abyad :

http://www.mikeouds.com/audio/real/george_abyad_shat_araban.rm

My own score of the Samai :

http://www.4shared.com/file/134359718/98ad8a01/Samai_Shadd_Arabn.ht...

My own analysis :

01:04
F# zahir to G ( “Arab Music Theory in the Modern Period” by Marcus Scott Lloyd p.590)
Unfolding on the higher octave of Shadd `Araban finishing on the first octave

01:28
Shadd `Araban on G

01:36
Tarz Nuwin on D

01:51
Qarar CC + GG
Glissando A -> Bb
Nahawand Kabir

01:59
BB as a leading tone to C
AA as a double “leading tone” to C (AMTMP p.593)
Nahawand

02:12
Glissando A -> Bb
Nahawand kabir

02:14
F#
Shadd `Araban

02:19
(Glissando from) Db (to C), 2 points of view:
- temporary modulation to Hijaz Kar or Hijazayn on GG
- precadential accidental of Shadd `Araban tetrachord (AMTMP p.618)

02:37
Shadd `Araban on G

02:47
C (qarar) touch of Nawa Athar

02:52
D (qarar) touch of Hijazayn

02:54
B/BB, Ab/AAb, G/GG
Descent in both octaves of Shadd `Araban

02:56
Strong presence of G surrounded by its two half steps F# an Ab in Shadd `Araban

02:59
(Glissando from F# to) F
Nahawand Kabir
Unfolding on the second jins, Nahawand on G, with Bb and A

03:10
(Glissando from F to) Gb, two points of view
- temporary modulation to Nahawand Murassa` (or Sinbulah)
- precadential accidental of Nahawand tetrachord (AMTMP p.618)

03:22
Tremolo on Ab
Nahawand

03:40
F#
Shadd `Araban on G

03:55
f natural
Kurd on d within maqam Hijaz on G

04:12
Glissando A-b- -> Bb (-> A) -> A-b-
Maqam Nirz

04:16
Glissando F -> F#, leading tone to G

04:22
Shadd `Araban

04:43
Kurd on d within Hijaz on G

04:51
A# as a dint to B (hassas al-hassas) within Hijaz tetrachord on G

04:58
Ajam in c

05:02
Nahawand

05:04
Ajam c

05:20
Rast

05:29
Compound mode:
Shadd `Araban + Hijaz Kar

05:40
Tarz Jadid on c in Nahawand fasilah

05:46
Glissando Ab -> A which prepare the Shadd `Araban on G

05:54
Ab
Shadd `Araban on G

06:11
F natural
Nahawand

06:12
(Glissando from) A (to Ab) touch of Nahawand Kabir

06:25
FF#
Shadd `Araban

06:30
AA as a double “leading tone” to C
BB as a leading tone to C

06:42
GG
Finalis of the taksim

This is an open work, your commentaries are welcome !

fernandraynaud - 10-5-2009 at 06:04 AM

David, what is a "dint"?

What is the relation of the score to the whole piece?

David.B - 10-5-2009 at 11:33 AM

That's a good question !

"Dint-s
Discontinuous lower neighboring tones are accidentals which are approached from and followed by the same note, this note being a half step above the accidental itself.

Dunt-s
Discontinuous upper neighboring tones. Dunt-s are generally approached and followed by the same note, this note being a half step below the accidental itself."

Check out the Arab Music Theory in Modern Period page 612.

About the word itself, anyone's got a clue about its etymology ?

The score is the samai at the beginning, can you hear what I wrote ? maybe I put too much details ?

PS
Merci pour les liens que tu m'as envoyé, j'écoute ça attentivement dès que possible (je pensais pouvoir bosser la musique tranquille cette semaine mais je vais devoir faire un peu d'intérim pour gagner des sous...). Pour D'Erlanger, je me casse les neurones sur le premier volume : le langage date un peu (Farabi) et j'ai du mal à digérer certaines abstractions tant que je ne les ai pas mises en pratique sur un instrument... Si tu arrives à tout appréhender c'est tout bénèf, tu va devenir un fin théoricien. Tiens moi au courant si tu complètes la collection !

David.B - 11-10-2009 at 12:33 PM

My own interpretation :

http://www.4shared.com/file/149765105/67f54e8/Taksim_Shadd_Araban.h...

Benjamin - 6-12-2010 at 04:10 AM

Very nice and useful work, I really enjoyed listening to the taqasim with all the analysis in front of my eyes, so that it's really easier to follow what is going on, and to feel what the steps are. My teacher often told me that when playing taqasim I should know where I want to go and to arrive, so here I felt the same as I can see in advance the intention of the player. It's quite an academic (and nice) playing here, so there is a real interest in doing that "academic" analysis, well done and go on with that David.

David.B - 6-12-2010 at 11:06 PM

Thanks Benjamin,

Very important for me to hear that because I learn with books and Cd's without anybody to correct me. Also I'd like to mention the particular importance of "Mike's Ouds Forums" which is a free world wide school and I'd like to thanks everybody for being here ! This place makes me think about Andalusia during the golden age of Islam, it changes the rules...

PS
The score is not good, I should write it with eighth notes and exclude the ornaments.

myeyes2020 - 6-14-2010 at 07:06 PM

Great work!

Correct me if I'm wrong. Rather than saying "shat araban on G," isn't it understood that "shat araban" is hijaz kar on g?

at 3:10, the characterstic feel of the "slide for F to G flat" of nahawand murassa is not there for me. If you modulated to one of the maqamat in the "two points of view" then which note did you choose as the dominant even if temporary? Did you use the fa of nah murassa or the sol of the nahawand.

here is a good example of nahwand murassa. In khoria hassan's song "min hobi feek ya gari"= from the extent my love for you my neighbor.

she sings "min hobi feek ya GARI, ya gari min zaman. akhabi esho' wa DARI, la yerafo el geran." translated.... from my love for you my neighbor, oh my neighbor since long ago. I hide my desire and cover up lest the neighbors find out."

At 49 secs into the clip, notice the slide on th word "Gari"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsO2W01BKIA&playnext_from=TL&...

I believe that another good example of this is when Um Kalthoum begins singin "ya habibi" in alf leyla wa layla but im not sure. I have to check on that.

FastForward - 6-14-2010 at 10:07 PM

No Hijazkar and Shad araban are two different and distinct maqams, while they might have similar (the same) notes, the seyr and flow is completely different.

myeyes2020 - 6-15-2010 at 05:08 AM

My original point was that by definition, shad araban is hijaz kar transposed on G and therefore you only need to say "shad araban" and redundant to say "on G". Likewise hijaz kar transposed on D is "shehnaz" and therefore you woudnt say shehnaz on D. All three maqamat have "hijazain" OR two hizaz ajnaz with the same distinct spacing.

But now you raised another point. If you simply transpose a primary maqam onto another note and give it another name, that doesnt create another "distinct" maqam. Wouldnt you agree? Just because we say "maqam shad araban" and give it different "sayer" rules does not make it a distinct maqam from Hijaz kar. Heck, that would mean that the Major scale has 12 different and distinct maqamat.

For example Maqam Rahat al Arwah is Huzam transposed to b half flat. Ajam ushayaran is Ajam transposed to b flat. Are these 2 maqamat (ajam ushayran and Rahat al arwah) distinct from their primary maqam?

FastForward - 6-15-2010 at 07:35 AM

Well, you are treating the maqam as a "scale" which is honestly butchering of the maqam. For some, a transposed version of the maqam can simply be a transposed version, but mostly, they are different maqams. Two maqams might share the same notes, that doesn't make them the same. They are very different in the seyr and the consequently the feel is very different. I don't want to hijack this thread, so you can search the forum and this topic has been discussed before.

myeyes2020 - 6-15-2010 at 08:46 AM

Thanks! I learned something new. I guess I have to "rewind"...lol... and revisit the definition of maqam.

David.B - 6-15-2010 at 09:19 AM

OK myeyes2020,

I should start from the beginning :

Here it is the way I write the note

CC DD EE-b- (half-flat) -> 6th string
FF GG -> 5th course
AA BB-b- C -> 4th course
D E-b- F -> 3rd course
G A B-b- -> 2d course
c d e-b- f g a b-b- c' -> 1st course

This is easier (for me) than Yakah, qarar nim Hisar, qarar Hisar...

Thus when I write "Shadd `Araban on G" it means the focus is on the second octave, when the focus is on GG I write "Shadd `Araban" without anything else because this is the tonic. But you bring something to the fore, in fact George Abyad doesn't play on Shadd `Araban on the second octave, he plays mostly on Hijaz on G. So I'd like to ask something : "Does the Shadd `Araban duplicate on the second octave ?". This is why Shadd `Araban is Shadd `Araban and Hijaz Kar, Hijaz Kar, these are not occidental scales and do not necessarily duplicate on the higher or lower octave ! And many other differences...

About Nahawand Murassa` :

"Such dunt-s occur in a number of maqamat, can be consider a characteristic feature of these modes, and serve a special function in performance, i.e., they tend to a signal an upcoming cadence to the tonic. As such, Racy has referred to these notes as "precadential accidentals" (in classes at UCLA). In most cases, the precadential accidental is a flat fifth (as in the maqamat [...] Nahawand [...]). [...]

Modern-day theorists commonly analyze phrases with precadential accidenals as a temporary modulations to a new maqam, the new maqam being one which shares the same lower tetrachord but has a Hijaz tetrachord as its jins al-far`. This is because they assume that the accidental is the second note of a new Hijaz tetrachord (even when the other notes of this tetrachord do not occur in the phrase in quesion). In the above examples, the new maqamat are called Nahawand Murassa` or Nahawand Sinbulah [...]."

ARAB MUSIC THEORY IN THE MODERN PERIOD

by Marcus Scott Lloyd

But I have to check out your link (this WE) to understand what you mean...

"Heck, that would mean that the Major scale has 12 different and distinct maqamat."

Be careful ! I think I'm not the only one here to consider that the 24 tones scales is not tempered ! I give to you only one example : I consider the E-b- in maqam Rast a little bit higher than the one in maqam Bayyati, so if I transpose I have to take care of this difference to keep the taste of the maqam in question. With the occidental tempered scale E is E never mind of the tonic...

myeyes2020 - 6-15-2010 at 07:53 PM

Yes shadd Araban duplicates itself on the second octave. The Hijaz chord begins again on sol.

I must admit that my music analytical skills are very weak. that being said, the interval from 1:28 to 1:36 does not reveal a tonic because it has no qafla. If like you said, he plays mostly on Sol, then sol is moslt likely the dominat making this the upper jins higaz on sol, consequently maqam higaz kar is the best candidate if it is a modulation. However, i think he is still on shat araban next octave. Why does it have to be a modulation?

yes of course e half flat is different on rast and bayat and even in certain maqamat, it can be different assending/decending in the same maqam. And yes, all those characteristics are also (should be) transposed. That being said, let me offer this point:

I dont have any documentation for this but I understand that jins hijaz (say on Re) is often played E flat a coma higher and F# a coma lower. This spacing tends to follow suit and is easy and natural to play on the open strings A,D, G and C (first course). This is not so easy or natural to do on the lower jins higaz on Do of Hijaz Kar.

The beauty of transposing Hijaz Kar to GG is exploited with tuning DD,GG, A, D, G,C. The tonic GG can be played exact and sustained. "La bimol" can be naturally played slightly higher with the first finger on the GG. Si with second finger A-string. Do with third finger A-String. DD can make a nice sustained drone for your taqasim or as a bam when you play around the dominant D and the upper jins.
You can also play a call/response melody easily on D and DD , G and GG.
You also have two sets of adjacent strings (DD/GG an D/G) in which you can play jins hijaz comfortably back to back. Interestingly, higaz -d and higaz-g back to back create Nawa Athar.

Adel

David.B - 6-16-2010 at 08:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by myeyes2020  
Yes shadd Araban duplicates itself on the second octave. The Hijaz chord begins again on sol.

I consider the ambitus of Shadd `Araban as Shadd `Araban + Hijaz on G : That's why a maqam is a maqam and not a scale, the way to see a maqam as a heptatonic mode is not so old and inspired by the occidental theory. This is not the original way in the Arab music.

I must go back behind my oud to give a correct answer, but to fire off Abyad begins on the higher octave of Shadd `Araban : This is a convention. So this means he plays on the genre Hijaz on G. But this is not a modulation, this is a part of the maqam. In consequence G is not the dominant but the octave (joab). The dominant (ghammaz) is C or D.

David.B - 6-16-2010 at 08:43 AM

The beauty of transposing Hijaz Kar to GG is exploited with tuning DD,GG, A, D, G,C. The tonic GG can be played exact and sustained. "La bimol" can be naturally played slightly higher with the first finger on the GG. Si with second finger A-string. Do with third finger A-String. DD can make a nice sustained drone for your taqasim or as a bam when you play around the dominant D and the upper jins.
You can also play a call/response melody easily on D and DD , G and GG.
You also have two sets of adjacent strings (DD/GG an D/G) in which you can play jins hijaz comfortably back to back. Interestingly, higaz -d and higaz-g back to back create Nawa Athar.

For sure, I'm convinced about that ! But I prefer to keep the same tension on my strings and I can't have a oud for each maqam with the right tension :shrug:

Music is a compromise...

myeyes2020 - 6-16-2010 at 07:31 PM

I can't find the book, ARAB MUSIC THEORY IN MODERN TIMES" on the internet. Any idea as to how I can get a copy?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge by the way. I feel guilty that you are reading and writing so much....lol

I'd like to re-iterate my understanding. I believe that the word "scale" is avoided when describing Arabic music theory to westerners to prevent the westerner from treating the Arabic 24 not "scale" as an even tempered scale like the chromatic scale. It's true that there are a few maqams that cannot be treated as a scale in the same manner that one would treat the major and minor scales.

I don't see how treating the Shadd Araban as a scale is butchering it and I dont see why one needs to be too careful. Even if it has a different sayer or mood than higaz kar. I believe it can be called Higaz kar on GG. This transposition is called "taswir" in Arabic or the "mirror" because the exact tonal intervals are transposed. These tonal intervals are the same ascending, decending and into the next octave. octave 1= Higaz GG + Higaz D, octave 2= Higaz G + Higaz d
A different sayer mood etc... based on regional or cultural differences does not make it a different scale.

The case in which it would be "butchered" when calling it a scale is when it's transposed to C (do). Surely this can be done and called a scale if you call it Hijaz Kar on do. However it would be wrong to say this is Higaz kar Kurd because this is truly a different maqam. It is much different acending (higaz + higaz) then when descending (Kurd + Nahawand).

In Arabic we would say "solam maqam Shadd Araban" = the scale of the maqam shadd Araban." Solam ( سلم ) means ladder or scale.

David.B - 6-16-2010 at 09:32 PM

Adel,

Check out this link :

http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=9799#pid651...

Many good links. Of course you should read ARAB MUSIC THEORY IN THE MODERN PERIOD, also read "La Musique Arabe" Tome V by the Baron d'Erlanger p. 120, and "A treatise on Arabic music chiefly from a work by Mikhâil Meshâkah of Damascus" p. 183 and 185. I'm not sure of what I write this my understanding when I mix theory and George Abyad's CD, I must confess this is weak and I shall work on other players but it asks so much time... BTW, the most important is to create our own vision and feeling of Arab music, this is long and asks experience. I'll be back on the taksim (Shadd `Araban) about the end of the year and our conversation will help me to re-understand the maqam :)

David.B - 6-17-2010 at 09:25 AM

PS

"La Musique Arabe" Tome V by the Baron d'Erlanger p. 120

You'll see 3 genres (ajnas) after c :

- Hijazi on d
- Rast on c
- Naw'athar on c

At the end of the page, " The mode SAT `ARABAN distinguishes itself by Naw'athar on c".

So it's OK to use a f# and treat it as a "scale" but this had not been confirmed by my practice on Abyad's CD.

"A treatise on Arabic music chiefly from a work by Mikhâil Meshâkah of Damascus" p. 183 and 185

Be prudent before you make easy conclusion, this is the early modern period and the notes don't correspond with nowadays theory. If I do not say stupid things Yegâh is CC (or C), Rest GG (or G) (if somebody can refresh my memory) etc. BTW, it's really interesting to read how the oral maqamat developed themself through melodic-types far away from the occidental ladder ("échelle" the French word had been translated in Arab, "sulllam", because of the influence of France during this period...). With d'Erlanger the standardization had already done its job ! (Even if "it is evident from a pre-modern work quoted in Villoteau (1826 : 46ff.) that a scalar presentation of the modes existed prior to the modern period. I am arguing, then, that the concept of scale had to be reintroduced into discussions of the individual modes". -> Arab Music Theory In The Modern Period p. 453)

But the most important is to read the "Arab Music Theory In The Modern Period" :

p. 448, B. THE CONCEPT OF SCALE
P. 458, C. AMBITUS
P. 512, E. NON-DUPLICATION AT THE OCTAVE

In spite of all these treatises I can't explain why George Abyad uses a f natural almost all the time.

I played during 5 years with scores and a teacher who uses the 24 tones Arab scale as a tempered scale. I learned the skills but not the Arab thought. Now my way is to focus on ajnas while I'm playing, I don't think "maqam" or "scale". This had come naturally by playing by ear.

myeyes2020 - 6-17-2010 at 06:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David.B  

I played during 5 years with scores and a teacher who uses the 24 tones Arab scale as a tempered scale. I learned the skills but not the Arab thought. Now my way is to focus on ajnas while I'm playing, I don't think "maqam" or "scale". This had come naturally by playing by ear.

I'm sure those years served you well and I also think in ajnas and not scale or maqam. It's too much mental gymnastics for me to think that the next tone is a certain distance away.

Perhaps Marcus Lloyd's treatise should be called Arab music theory in the modern world FROM A WESTERN PERSPECTIVE...lol

I find it ineresting how the arabic word for theory is "nadhareya." It comes from the root word "nadhar" or "view" (as in "from my view"). First came the music repertoire and then came the "view of" the repertoire to explain it.

I'm sure you're aware that in the West (I lived in the USA since age 3), we first define the theory and then the repertoire comes from the theory. Regarding Arabic music, the repertoire came first with a history and various traditions. They were preserved and enhanced by the Arab world and then came the theory to describe what the seasoned musician of Arabic music understands and feels naturally.
If we begin to serve the writen theory (from a Western Perspective), we loose light of the authentic definition maqamat and their use even when treated as scales and expanded into the next "octave." If in ancient times they created melodies from two or three strings, I trust that it would be difficult to venture into higher octaves...lol.

Consider the ancient musicians. without the advent of a chromatic tuner, how did they tune their strings at concert pitch with strings made from the intestines of goats? They didnt have to. they could just tune one string to a desired sound or tention and easily tune the rest four tones apart. The accompanying musicians could follow the leader..lol
So if their tonics were not necessarily the same "re" "mi" that we use today then were they playing the maqamat corrrectly?
Consider Umm Kalthoum in concert. Many of her concerts in later years were deliberately out of concert pitch to accommodate her "aging" voice. The instruments were deliberately tuned a step or two above or below concert pitch for some songs yet the structured intertonal intervals were maintained. The maqamat were then effectively transposed to non "traditional" tonics, if you will. Wouldn't you agree that these maqamat were treated as "scales."
Do you still think that maqamat are not transposable to any pitch while preserving their unique structural integrity (ie... E half flat not necesarily having the same pitch in different maqamat)?

Regarding the idea of non duplication at the octave, i'd have to read Lloyd's book but I find the idea hard to believe.

You're right, that our own vision and feel for the music is ultimately what's important.

Many thanks for the links. They're very helpfull :)

myeyes2020 - 6-17-2010 at 09:40 PM

I consider the ambitus of Shadd `Araban as Shadd `Araban + Hijaz on G : That's why a maqam is a maqam and not a scale, the way to see a maqam as a heptatonic mode is not so old and inspired by the occidental theory. This is not the original way in the Arab music.

I think I may have a glimpse of the point you're trying to get accross.

I first read your sentence as:

Sh araban= shad araban+ JINS Hijaz G
if so, then this doesnt oppose the idea of duplication.

however if you meant...= shadd araban + MAQAM Hijaz G
then this suggests that the next "octave" ends with Jins nahawand D

which did you mean?

David.B - 6-18-2010 at 12:49 PM

I'm sure you're aware that in the West (I lived in the USA since age 3), we first define the theory and then the repertoire comes from the theory. Regarding Arabic music, the repertoire came first with a history and various traditions. They were preserved and enhanced by the Arab world and then came the theory to describe what the seasoned musician of Arabic music understands and feels naturally.
If we begin to serve the writen theory (from a Western Perspective), we loose light of the authentic definition maqamat and their use even when treated as scales and expanded into the next "octave." If in ancient times they created melodies from two or three strings, I trust that it would be difficult to venture into higher octaves...lol.

I'm perfectly aware about that. So do you think I deserve the written theory to the detriment of the authentic definition of maqamat ? To be honest I don't understand, because I use an academic oud player (George Abyad) who represents an oral tradition as my base of analysis and I use the written theories to understand what happens. So it perfectly follows the point of view you defend !

About scales vs melodic-types, we are both right, Arab music is a mix of both. So this is really interesting to discuss about that and I don't think this out of the subject. The problem is that we could talk about this during hours and this is so big that a special thread is needed (must actually exist but I can't find where...) especially in a thread where we talk about a professional sound clip called "Shat Arabân" (and not Hijaz Kar on GG). By this title George Abyad gives his point of view and I don't know how to analyze this taksim if I do not follow him ?

To be pragmatic I reiterate my question : How do you understand a f natural all the time (except for a compound mode at 05:29) from your point of view ?
I think you already gave half an answer when you wrote "the repertoire came first with a history and various traditions. They were preserved and enhanced by the Arab world and then came the theory". If you read my (not so good) score, you'll see that the highest note is actually f natural on the 3rd measure. My thought is that Abyad uses the Samai as a melodic-types and the taksim is a development of what happens in the Samai. This explains why George Abyad uses a f natural but the problem is just transposed : Why Cemil Bey Tanburi uses a f natural ?

Also I'd like to say that I prefer to assimilate this f from practice than f# from the theoretic taswir. Except if I work on an other piece of Shadd `Araban with a strong mirror scale, so I would mix both, but this is called experience...

At last I repeat myself, here it is not my point of view but George Abyad's one. So I have nothing to defend, I try to understand, and I'm so sorry if I understand completely wrong :(

David.B - 6-18-2010 at 01:16 PM

I first read your sentence as:

Sh araban= shad araban+ JINS Hijaz G
if so, then this doesnt oppose the idea of duplication.

however if you meant...= shadd araban + MAQAM Hijaz G
then this suggests that the next "octave" ends with Jins nahawand D

which did you mean?

Both of them !
Firstly, because I do not exclude a mirror scale and secondly because I think ajnas instead of maqamat. Concretely, for me, the first jins sets the maqam but the second one is changeable. So I don't feel myself paradoxical. This is the beauty of Arab music :D

PS
I think you wanted to say Nahawand on c (or Kurd on d).

myeyes2020 - 6-18-2010 at 10:24 PM

you are correct, i did mean to say kurd- d or nahawand c as you can see, i write late at night...lol furthurmore, i recall others who suggested that maqam higaz -d was inteposed in shadd araban thus creating nahawand F as it's tail (ambitus?) which may explain your f natural.

I have to correct the definition of taswir to mean "taking a picture" or provinging an image and not mirror. this is the word in music that's used for transposing.

It's interesting about this piece that it's called samai yet it doesnt seem to have the samai structure of 4 khanat ending in taslim. It has a minute of samai thakil and then he playes a taqasim for about 4 mintues follwed by samai again. To answer your question about f natural; I see it as the modulation of jins hijaz to jinz kurd. At the moment, i cant identify what maqam would include hijaz combined with jins kurd.

I believe you and I have accepted a different definition of "maqam" which itself went through and evolution of meanings..lol

Not until I read this thread did I realize that "sayr" was part of the definintion of maqam for some. Not that I'm fluent in Arabic but of all the Arabic literature I've come accross, I've never seen 'sayr" as part of the definition of maqam or even come across the word. If sayr is part of the definition of maqam then is it incorporated in all music forms (ie samai, taqasim, muashah..etc...)?

you may already know or interested to know that a duplicate on the second "octave" of shadd araban does exist as the ascending scale of maqam siga baladi.

great conversation! too bad this is not face to face.

David.B - 6-18-2010 at 11:09 PM

Not until I read this thread did I realize that "sayr" was part of the definintion of maqam for some. Not that I'm fluent in Arabic but of all the Arabic literature I've come accross, I've never seen 'sayr" as part of the definition of maqam or even come across the word. If sayr is part of the definition of maqam then is it incorporated in all music forms (ie samai, taqasim, muashah..etc...)?

I'm not so aware of all these musical forms, right now I'm working on Rast and I might ask some questions, I hope to see you on the forum when I'll do my analysis in real time !

David.B - 6-18-2010 at 11:21 PM

you may already know or interested to know that a duplicate on the second "octave" of shadd araban does exist as the ascending scale of maqam siga baladi.

No I've never noticed, if you want to describe it you're welcome !

So OK instead of "taswir" we should use "duplication" about the next octave in Shadd `Araban. For me it's early in the morning and I can't verify everything before I go to work ;)

myeyes2020 - 6-19-2010 at 02:15 PM

No I've never noticed, if you want to describe it you're welcome !

this link will give the description.
http://www.maqamworld.com/maqamat/sikah.html#sikah-baladi

here are the musical forms.
http://www.maqamworld.com/forms.html

notice how it says regarding samai that the third khana of the samai modulates to related maqams.
Knowing about these forms, especially taqsim, dulab, samai and muashah might be of interest to you becuase George Abyad mixes these in his compositions.

The majority of this composition, samai shadd araban ,is mostly (about 4 minutes) taqsim.

"taqsim" is often loosely translated as "improvisation" but the word means "the dividing" or breaking down. derived from the arabic verb "qusama" (to divide). It's understood to mean the melodic development of a maqam with it's associated rules (doesnt include "pathway" or sayer") but is not part of the definition of a maqam (as some people accept "sayer" to be part of the definition).

So regarding your question about F natural, wouldnt the above simply suggest that in the taqsim, George Abyad is simply modutating from upper jins Higaz to Kurd on D? Rather than the maqam shadd araban having a complex definition that includes it not be a "scale" or duplicated at the next "octave?"

David.B - 6-20-2010 at 04:46 AM

this link will give the description.
[url]http://www.maqamworld.com/maqamat/sikah.html#sikah-baladi
[/url]

Thanks, I didn't know Sikah-Baladi and I forgot to check on "Maqam World". Really interesting...

here are the musical forms.
http://www.maqamworld.com/forms.html

notice how it says regarding samai that the third khana of the samai modulates to related maqams.
Knowing about these forms, especially taqsim, dulab, samai and muashah might be of interest to you becuase George Abyad mixes these in his compositions.

Now I remember why I didn't go further with musical forms : I was not able to make a correspondence between what I was reading on "Maqam World" and what I was hearing on George Abyad's CD.

So regarding your question about F natural, wouldnt the above simply suggest that in the taqsim, George Abyad is simply modutating from upper jins Higaz to Kurd on D? Rather than the maqam shadd araban having a complex definition that includes it not be a "scale" or duplicated at the next "octave?"

I think we should split this discussion in 2 :

-1rstly, what is the general understanding of Shadd `Araban and its ambitus.

-2ndly, what is George Abyad's understanding of Shadd `Araban and its ambitus in this taksim.

This is really interesting and I need a deep reflexion before I go further. I've got to play it carefully once more, I must decorticate the Samai and check out the outro on the rhythm Bambi Kabir (not done yet because I don't have this rhythm). At last I must read all my written sources once more.

My first impression :

-On the1rst point, Shadd `Araban is Hijaz Kar on GG + Hijaz Kar on G (when I write nothing it means "maqam" otherwise I use "genre", "jins", "tetrachord", etc.).

-On the 2nd point, Shadd `Araban is Hijaz Kar on GG + Hijaz on G. Because a modulation involve a maqam as origin and a maqam as modulation. The maqam as modulation should be less supported than the maqam as origin. Here the f natural is always used except for a quick f# at 05:29 (maybe what I understand as a compound mode Hijaz Kar on c + Hijaz Kar on g is not insignificant), as a wink to Shadd `Araban in the lower octaves. In consequence the maqam which contains the f natural is more supported than the maqam which contains the f#. In my opinion this last one is the maqam as modulation. Also I heard furtively the outro on Bambi Kabir and it seems the f natural is still the most supported note (though I should listen to it more carefully).

In conclusion, I've got to go back on it for a better understanding. I can't stay on suppositions, the duplication or non-duplication is an important feature. Also I won't be able to study every piece of music on Shadd `Araban (the best way), I stick on one musician (the easiest way). If other musicians can bring their own studies on the subject, that would help.

PS
Some links to work with :
http://www.maqamworld.com/realaudio/clips/shadd-araban/samai_shadd_... (the original ?)

http://www.maqamworld.com/maqamat/saba.html (Nowadays non-duplication at the octave is only represented by maqam Saba...)

David.B - 6-20-2010 at 08:10 AM

OK, I think this score contains what we're looking for, the 1rst khana uses a f natural and the 3rd khana a f#...

From : http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=3920#pid257...

sama3i shadd araban.jpg - 121kB

myeyes2020 - 6-20-2010 at 09:04 AM

I think we should split this discussion in 2 :

-1rstly, what is the general understanding of Shadd `Araban and its ambitus.

-2ndly, what is George Abyad's understanding of Shadd `Araban and its ambitus in this taksim.

This is really interesting and I need a deep reflexion before I go further. I've got to play it carefully once more, I must decorticate the Samai and check out the outro on the rhythm Bambi Kabir (not done yet because I don't have this rhythm). At last I must read all my written sources once more.

RE the general understanding od Shad Araban, i dont think one exists. There are atleast two schools of thought that define "maqam". You and I are at opposite ends.

For my needs and goals of studying Egyptian Classical music, the works of great composers Abdel Wahab, Riad al Sumbati,Baligh Hamdi etc.. , the rudimentary understanding suffices. Shadd Araban is the scale of maqam Higaz Kar transposed on GG. It's the same ascending/desceding and duplicates at G at the next octave.

The first time for me to hear "ambitus" was on this thread....lol and is not usefull for my goals and needs. At the moment, I don't accept ambitus, mood, or sayr as what defines a maqam. I am aware that "mood" is an attribute of a maqam. but for my puposes, it doesnt distinguish the higaz Kar-D from higaz kar-GG (or rahat al arwah from Huzam) as two different maqamat.

From an anaylical and my perspective, since mood is subjective, it can be an atribute but not an element of a maqam.

Re the second form of maqam saba (which doesnt end on the same "note" as the tonic). I consider that maqam an exception, an abarent maqam that is useless for my needs. It doesnt change my view the the "primary" maqamat ( al maqamat al asasiyeen) and important maqamat (al maqamat al moHemeen) as scales that are transposable and duplicated at the "octave."

That being said, I'm aware that students of Turkish music see a maqam from a different light. Indeed the beautiful music is different and sounds exotic even to my ears. So the definition of maqam for Turkish music most likely and correctly includes sayr,mood and ambitus.

Re George Abyad's understanding; someone better than me should comment on that. Quite frankly, I'm surprised no one else has chimed in on this discussion except briefly by fastforward.

Consider posting your next George Abyad study before analyzing it. It may be helpful for someone (better than me) to identify the Arabic music forms that he's using in his compositions. For example if he calls his compositon a "taqsim," the taqsim may be introduced by a dublab, muashah, samai etc... Of course this is if you dont recognize the forms yourself.

I agree that this is quite interesting and thank you for opening my mind as I also need to study and hopefully one day appreciate the need for sayr and really know why the well studied avoid the word "scale."

myeyes2020 - 6-20-2010 at 09:23 AM

That's very resourcefull that you found the score.

the score doesnt include 3rd and 4th khana. the last 4 Lines are "khana 2" and the sinu means that you have to return to the taslim (refrain) 4th lline from the top.

David.B - 6-20-2010 at 09:34 AM

Re George Abyad's understanding; someone better than me should comment on that. Quite frankly, I'm surprised no one else has chimed in on this discussion except briefly by fastforward.

Yes, it seems that talking about maqamat is not in fashion ;)
That's why I thank you especially because this not what you're studying. I mean classical vs traditional (these are my subjective words to express music after and before 1932).

Consider posting your next George Abyad study before analyzing it.

Yes, I did it for Nakriz without any constructive answers, though I asked many questions !

David.B - 6-20-2010 at 09:41 AM

That's very resourcefull that you found the score.

the score doesnt include 3rd and 4th khana. the last 4 Lines are "khana 2" and the sinu means that you have to return to the taslim (refrain) 4th lline from the top.

Thanks for the tip, I'm not so aware about musical forms with rhythm...

David.B - 6-20-2010 at 09:57 AM

PS
Check out your u2u Inbox, among other things "A treatise on Arabic music chiefly from a work by Mikhâil Meshâkah of Damascus" in Pdf.

myeyes2020 - 6-20-2010 at 10:13 AM

thanks i will check the u2u, never did that before..lol

Samai Bayati by Ibrahim al eryan.

to really get the feel of samai, it would be in your best interest to check out this link, it was very helpful to me.
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=2966#pid323...

mp3 of samai by oudman and the pdf of the score by microbar.
In the interest of time, none of the audio perfomances did the samai exact (didnt fully repeat the refrain, khana 2, 3 and 4 etc.) however gives a fantastic idea of it's structure.

you will notice that the first khana intruduces the maqam.
The taslim (refrain) in all samai should end in a bar labeled 1 and a bar labed "2". it is played twice and the first time ends at "1' then repeats and then ends at 2... then you go to the next khana. after the 4th khana you end with taslim.

I am working on this samai now. once you see this, I trust you will be confident in Samai.

BTW "Samai" means the listening or the hearing or the audition [of].

thanks again for the u2u

David.B - 7-13-2010 at 05:06 AM

"A treatise on Arabic music chiefly from a work by Mikhâil Meshâkah of Damascus" p. 183 and 185

Be prudent before you make easy conclusion, this is the early modern period and the notes don't correspond with nowadays theory. If I do not say stupid things Yegâh is CC (or C), Rest GG (or G) (if somebody can refresh my memory) etc.

Yegâh is C, `Ösheirân is D, Kuwesht is E, Rest is F, Dûgâh is G, Bûselîk is A, Hejâz is B and Nawa is c.

"Observe that the beginning of the notes of the octave with yegâh, as above, is not necessary in the nature of things. Some authors begin with rest ; and the Greeks begin with dûgâh. One may begin where he chooses, provided he make the octave consist of seven successive notes, so that the eighth shall be the response to the first." -> A treatise on Arabic music chiefly from a work by Mikhâil Meshâkah of Damascus p.176

Observe that the modern sight : Yegâh is GG, `Ösheirân is AA, Kuwesht is BB, Rest is C, Dûgâh is D, Bûselîk is E, Hejâz is F and Nawa is g, is used in the following posts.

Table III. Comparison of the European Octaves.jpg - 77kB

Table I.jpg - 171kB

David.B - 7-13-2010 at 06:06 AM

Rather than saying "shat araban on G," isn't it understood that "shat araban" is hijaz kar on g?

"§5. On variety in tunes, and their division into modes.

The difference between tunes is of four kinds. The first is in the key note. If you strike, for example, rest, then `arâk, then `ösheirân, and end with yegâh, making it the key note, the sound differs from what it would be, if you struck dûgâh, then rest, then `arâk, and ended with `ösheirân for the key note. And this difference does not arise from the height of dûgâh and `ösheirân, with which you begin and end the one, above rest and yegâh the first and last notes of the other. For difference in height, were the intervals between all the notes the same, would occasion no variety in tunes, and you might vary the key note, without varying the melody. But as it is, varying the key note varies the tune, because the intervals are unequal, and a succession of them is passed over in the one case, differing from that passed over in the other. As in the example above adduced in the first strain, the first two intervals are or three quarters each, and the third of four ; while in the second strain, the first interval is of four quarters and the other two of three quarters each. Thus appears the first kind of difference between tunes. In consequence of it, tunes are divided into modes according to their key notes, and are named from them ; one being called rest, another dûgâh, &c.

The second difference arises from two circumstances independent of the key note, which may remain unchanged. One is a difference of execution in passing from note to note, which is not to be described in words, and which the Arabs have no notation, as the Greeks and the Franks have, to express. The other is a difference in the notes with which different tunes begin. The two tunes dûgâh, and suba, for example, are both keyed on dûgâh, but the first begins with rest, and the other with jehârgâh ; as we shall see when we come to the description of particular tunes.

The third difference arises from a change of some notes, by substituting certain quarters for them. For example, in the tune called hejâz, the note jehârgâh is not used ; but in ascending and descending it is passed over, and the quarter hejâz is struck in its place. So in the tune beyâty, the quarter `ajem is used in the place of the note auj.

The fourth difference arises from the tunes being double ; the first or second cause of difference being united with the third. In this case, the voice passes over more than seven notes, striking notes in two octaves, which are the responses and bases to each other. For example, the tune muhaiyar is tune dûgâh repeated ; dûgâh being first sung on an octave dûgâh, and then the voice descending to the base of that, which is the octave to which dûgâh itself belongs. So the tune shed-`arabân, is made up of two hejâzes, on two different octaves. And `ösheirân is almost beyâty, sung from above huseiny, and then ending in beyâty on `ösheirân.

6. On Transposition, or the performing of a tune on another than its natural scale.

Musicians are sometimes obliged to perform tunes on other than their proper key notes. For example, dûgâh and hejâz, whose proper key note is dûgâh, are usually performed on nawa, in order, by a higher pitch, to give more pleasure to the hearer. This change is sometimes necessary. As, when a double tune, which takes in more than one octave, is keyed on a high note. Shed-`arabân, for example, whose key note is dûgâh, requires the voice to ascend to the response to huseiny, which is extremely difficult for most performers, and even if accomplished, produces an unpleasant effect upon the hearer. Hence this tune is generally performed on yegâh or `ösheirân. The same key notes, also, are generally adopted for the tune muhaiyar. A similar necessity likewise exists, when you wish to play on two instruments together, one of which, as a large kânôn for example, is made for very low notes, and will not bear tuning for high ones, and the other, as a short kerift, is pitched very high. Then the performance on the two will not agree, unless one or the performers transposes the tune so as to play it on such a key note as shall accord with the key note on which the other performs. Hence the professors of the art of music, have found it necessary to be exceedingly careful in the composition of tunes, to define and observe the exact number of quarters which compose the intervals between the different votes. For it is only in consequence of this exactness, that the musician is able to transpose a tune by changing its key note.

For illustration of what has been said above, take two examples. First ; suppose it be desired to transpose a tune keyed on dûgâh, so as to perform it on nawa. Then is will necessary to change two notes, huseiny and auj, by striking instead of them, the quarters tek-hisâr and `ajem, next below them. This being done, the succession of intervals in the transposed tune, will be the same as in the original, as may be seen in Table IV., below.
Second ; suppose it be desired to transpose a tune on rest so that it can be performed on nawa. Inasmuch as nawa is a fifth above rest, the first five notes will require no change, for reasons explained in section 4. But the next two notes do not correspond, and it bocomes necessary to raise buzereh and mâhûrân each one quarter, by using the quarters response to bûselîk and response to nîm-hejâz, instead of them, in order to preserve the intervals of the original tune, as may be seen in Table V." -> A treatise on Arabic music chiefly from a work by Mikhâil Meshâkah of Damascus p.181

"§1. Melodies keyed on Yegâh.

2. Shed-`arabân. This is in fact hejâz repeated in two octaves, to render the pitch easy for the singer. Its notes are 8, 8b, 8, 11, 10a, 8b, 8, 12, 12b, 12, 11, 10a, 8b, 8, 7, 5b, 5, 4, 3a, 2,1." -> A treatise on Arabic music chiefly from a work by Mikhâil Meshâkah of Damascus p.185

My own way :

Nawa (G), Hisâr (Ab), Nawa (G), Mâhûr (c), Nihuft (B), Hisâr (Ab), Nawa (G), Muhaiyar (d), Sumbuleh (eb), Muhaiyar (d), Mâhûr (c), Nihuft (B), Hisâr (Ab), Nawa (G), Jehârgâh (F), Kurdy (Eb), Dûgâh (D), Rest (C), Kuwesht (BB), `Ösheirân (AA), Yegâh (GG).

"§4. Melodies keyed on rest.

8. Hejâzkâr. It is 4, 8 distinctly, 8b, 8 distinctly, 7 distinctly, 6a, 4c, 4, 1, 4. Thus the Constantinople masters have arranged it. In it 5 and 6 are altered to 4c and 6a. Evidently this arrangement is that which is necessary for the performance of the tune hejâz itself ; except that the quarter 7b must be made 7a. And if it be thus arranged, and 5 be made its keynote, it will be easier, or only one note, viz. 7, will be altered to a quarter." -> A treatise on Arabic music chiefly from a work by Mikhâil Meshâkah of Damascus p.187

My own way :

Rest (C), Nawa (G) distinctly, Hisâr (Ab), Nawa (G) distinctly, Jehârgâh (F) distinctly, Bûselîk (E), Tek-zergelâh (D-b-), Rest (C), Yegâh (GG), Rest (C).

So the ancient understanding of Shadd `Araban vs Hijaz Kar is very different from nowadays understanding.

Also observe the old jins Hijaz is Dûgâh (D) {3 quarters} Sigâh (E-b-) {5 quarters} Hejâz (F#) {2 quarters} Nawa (G).

In the old maqam Hijaz Kar : Rest (C) {3 quarters} Tek-zergelâh (D-b-) {5 quarters} Bûselîk (E) {2 quarters} Jehârgâh (F).

While the old Shadd `Araban (Hijaz on G) is Nawa (G) {2 quarters} Hisâr (Ab) {6 quarters} Nihuft (B) {2 quarters} Mâhûr (c).

Nowadays we assimilate maqam Shadd `Araban as a transposition of maqam Hijaz Kar, so why purists want to keep the old fashion by saying "Shadd `Araban" instead of "Hijaz Kar on GG" ? This is an open question, my own answer is because it keeps the heritage of Arab music in its name.

Table IV. Table V.jpg - 71kB

David.B - 7-13-2010 at 08:00 AM

PS

By chance you can hear the difference on this CD :

http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=7795

02. Shadd Araban 1:06
23. Hijazkar 1:50