Mike's Oud Forums

How to dampen the oud sound down?

joklany - 10-5-2009 at 02:44 AM

Hello All

I sometimes take my oud with me when I travel on business trips. The challenge I have is how to practice in a hotel room without disturbing your next door neighbour?

Any tips on how can I dampen the sound of my oud down?

Many Thanks in advance.

jo.

fernandraynaud - 10-5-2009 at 05:50 AM

I've had a similar issue called a spouse. The acoustic oud is well-designed to be darned loud. You COULD get one of those electric ones ...

There's the risha itself, a very thin risha can reduce the volume quite a bit, perhaps to what you need if it's thin enough. Then there's the muting effect of the right arm on the bridge, as many have discovered by bad habits, so by pressing on the bridge, it's another way to temper the volume. A little foam rubber mute shaped like a bar of soap could be placed between the strings and the soundboard near the bridge, that's often used on electric bass to damp the strings, worth trying at different spots.

oudtab - 10-5-2009 at 08:52 AM

Bonjour,

As Fernand Raynaud said, you can try with a bit of foam rubber. You can see it in this video (Vicente Amigo interview - 1mn 35sec)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByaE4d_wlxI&feature=related

David.B - 10-5-2009 at 11:40 AM

It works with a simple handkerchief, rolled on itself, between the string closed to the bridge.

joklany - 10-5-2009 at 05:30 PM

Dear All

Many Thanks for the Tips. I did not think that the solution is that simple!

Thanks again
jo

patheslip - 10-6-2009 at 03:47 AM

Even easier is to wear professional grade ear plugs.
It won't help the neighbours but it'll help reduce your tinnitus.:)

Christian1095 - 10-6-2009 at 07:02 AM

I took my oud on a series of business trips last year and just didn't worry about the neighbors in other rooms... I figured I wasn't as loud as the TV with the volume up... and since I didn't get complaints, I just didn't worry about it...