Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Varjabedian oud
Efkere
Unregistered

[*] posted on 7-24-2004 at 05:24 PM
Varjabedian oud

If anybody happens to have an oud made by Sam (Sarkis) Varjabedian that they are willing to sell, please let me know. He made ouds in Detroit from the early 1920s until 1963.
Thanks!
Jonathan Varjabedian
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-27-2004 at 08:41 PM

I had to change my account information and sign in name from Efkere to Jonathan. So, if anybody can help, you can reach me through this new account. Thanks
Jonathan Varjabedian
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-3-2004 at 06:36 AM
pictures

OK, I know I might be the only one interested in this guy's ouds (he was my grandfather), but, I figured I would start a web site to document his work. I am just beginning, but you can find it at http://www.varjouds.com
Feel free to give suggestions. If anybody has one of his ouds or lutes that they are willing to sell, or has picutres of one, please let me know. Thanks
Jonathan Varjabedian
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 8-3-2004 at 08:20 AM

Hey Jonathan,

Nice job with the website. Have you tried to contact John Bilezikjian or Viken Najarian. They might have information about your grandfather. Also, there was a guy that regularly participated on the Oud Home Page Messageboard who seems to have a lot of information about ouds and the oud scene in the States from way back in the day. I can't remember his name, but you can definitely try asking around there. Viken and John's websites are on my links page, and you can get their emails from their sites.

Good luck,
Mike

Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-3-2004 at 10:55 AM

Also, there was a guy that regularly participated on the Oud Home Page Messageboard who seems to have a lot of information about ouds and the oud scene in the States from way back in the day. I can't remember his name, but you can definitely try asking around there.>

I believe it was Andy Kasparian.
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-3-2004 at 12:10 PM

Thanks for the advice. Viken actually has one that he is repairing for somebody now. I am going to try to get in contact with him to see if I can at least photograph and measure it. John Bilezikjian is a friend, but unfortunately he does not know of the whereabouts of any of Varjabedian's ouds. Andrew Kasparian was actually good enough to email me a month or two ago to let me know that one of Sam Varjabedian's ouds, from 1934, was on ebay, which I ended up buying.
I am very grateful for your help. While I am just learning to play oud, I really do love having this connection with a grandfather who died before I was born. Somehow, it just seems right to be playing one of his ouds.
Thanks for the kind words,
Jonathan Varjabedian
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-29-2005 at 12:10 PM

From talking to some musicians that knew him, it seems that most of his ouds were sold to Arabs, rather than Armenians. Detroit had, and has, a large Arab population. I have taken out advertisements in various Armenian papers, with little success, but now I am thinking that perhaps I should aim more for the Arab community. Does anybody have any recommendations as far as papers aimed at the Arab community in Detroit, or Arab musicians in general? The web is great, but I am guessing that I am missing the people that have these, who I am guessing might be a bit older than the typical internet user. So, if anybody has any suggestions, please let me know.

Andy
Oud Junkie

Mood: excellent

[*] posted on 3-29-2005 at 06:35 PM

Jonathan, have you tried Arabic news groups?
If I recall correctly Peter mentioned that your grandfathers ouds were Arabic in appearance when he was working on one of the ouds a few years ago.

Hi Ronny, thank you but I think Saffet on the Oud Home Page had more info than me about the oud back in the 50's.
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-29-2005 at 07:46 PM

I haven't really posted anything on any purely Arabic sites--I guess I am looking for suggestions.
Varjabedian did make a larger, Arabic sized oud, but ornamentation was very sparse--like a Turkish oud. Peter did restore one of these for me (and did a masterful job). I wish I knew more about where he learned his craft. He was born in Turkey, but I think tried to cater to the Arabic customers in Detroit, because there was demand there. So, his ouds are a bit of a blend between Turkish and Arabic styles. Of course, he did make some ouds that were purely Turkish in style.
Back in the 1940s and 1950s, there wasn't (or so I have been told), that much demand for ouds among Armenians, who I guess one would think would be his main market.
Thanks for any suggestions.

palestine48
Oud Junkie

Mood: Free Palestine

[*] posted on 3-29-2005 at 09:04 PM

You can try the american federation of ramallah palestine. They are based in Michigan but have chapters all over the states. They oculd be a starting point to rooting out the arab community in michigan. Im sure they can find listings of teh churche, mosques etc. My uncle played with a an arab orchestra in michigan. He knew Fred Elias, the guy who wrote the hokey oud lesson book. But he lives down here in San francisco now.
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-30-2005 at 03:25 PM

Thanks, I will give it a shot.

Go To Top