Printable Version  
Author: Subject: microphones for oud ?
syro
Oud Lover

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-25-2004 at 09:17 AM
microphones for oud ?

hello
i am french oud player and i want to sonorise oud. what kind of microphones are good for it?
well, i play in a piece with a drum and a bass, and the sound is strong...my oud has micro inside but it's not a good quality... thank you friends...
Chris_Khouri
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-27-2004 at 07:45 AM
Microphones

Hello,

For both live performance and studio recording, a good option would be the Sm57 or Sm 58. Even a better option would be the MC-12 microphones from Oktava. These are a little bit more expensive. The price of a pair is about 200 dollars.

Even better but more expensive ishe AKG C-1000, which go for about 300-400 dollars a pair.

Hilal
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 7-27-2004 at 11:23 AM

the SM58 is essentially a vocal mic, with a significant midrange boost that distorts the true sound of the oud. Between the 57 and 58, the 57 is better for instruments.

However, I don't think that the SM57 or 58 are very useful for the oud; they are dynamic microphones, which work best with fairly high SPL (sound pressure level) sources. The oud is a rather quiet instrument, so these mics will lose much of its subtlety. They might work okay if there's no darbouka, but a directional (small-diaphragm) condenser microphone is your best bet. The drawback is that condensers require phantom power, so you need a mixer or a preamp with phantom power.

AT makes a decent directional condenser. I have an inexpensive marshall condenser that sounds really good, but I'm not sure how long it will last.

Shure's SM81 is an excellent choice, but it's somewhat expensive (ca. $450)

Large-diaphragm condensers work great in the studio (as do ribbon mics), but are too sensitive to background noise to be useful on stage.

Hope this is helpful.

Brian
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 7-27-2004 at 03:59 PM

Brian is right. I have a nice Audiotechnica AT4041 condensor mic, very cool.

Make sure you have the right system to go with the mic. It can't be pointing into a speaker, whether an amp, speaker or monitor. Make sure you also have pretty good mixing capabilities too, otherwise it's not worth it really.

I believe you need the whole package of good mic, good system, and good oud to get the right sound (assuming you're in a good venue) ;)

Keep us posted on what you decide on and how it works.

Take care,

mav

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
syro
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 7-28-2004 at 02:15 AM

thank yoy for all your advices. it's ok. i'll trust in first time with shure micro 57 and 58 cause there are better price ... and the sm81 ....akg or audiotech after...on live concert it's not a problem but in a "small piece" with another musiciens ( drums ans percussions) ... thanks oud's friends...take oud and play...

Go To Top