Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Soundboard varnish
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-5-2004 at 08:14 AM
Soundboard varnish

Is it possible to remove varnish off of the oud's face/soundboard. I have a great old oud, but somebody coated the soundboard with what looks to be a coat of varnish. The oud has a dead sound to it, but I am guessing it would sound a whole lot better if the varnish was gone. Is this possible? I don't want to sand it. I am not even necessarily going to do the job myself--I would take it to a luthier if you guys tell me that it can be done. I really want to keep the oud as original as possible, so I do not want to replace the soundboard.
Thanks
Jonathan Varjabedian
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gebran Tueni Lives For Ever, 12-12-05.

[*] posted on 8-5-2004 at 09:30 AM

If you don't plan on sanding then my guess you will use chemicals to remove the varnish. Using chemicals will also attack the glue then the inlays might come out also the boarder around the sound board leading to the sound board comming off, unless you find a way to protect these glued parts.

Good luck,
Elie
billkilpatrick
Oud Junkie

Mood: what?

[*] posted on 8-5-2004 at 02:19 PM

don't be afraid to do the job yourself. a sanding block with very fine sand paper and heaps of restraint should do nicely.

forza! - bill
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 8-5-2004 at 05:14 PM

Please don't use sandpaper and especially steel wool. You will surely remove some wood to remove the varnish and the sanding pressure could damage the face and/or braces.
Start with some alcohol on a damp soft cloth. Wipe the surface very gently to see if the finish softens, and if it does. wipe it off gradually. Don't pour a lot on, just keep using a clean damp spot on the cloth.
If alcohol doesn't work try some Naptha or fingernail polish remover the same way, wipe gently, hardly any downward force at all.
If naptha's no good, try lacquer thinner, and as a last resort, MEK. Commercial paint removers are not advised, they are too caustic and extra toxic and not necessary for the soft, thin finish used on music instruments.
Work with any solvent in a well ventilated area, near an open window with a fan, or outside in the shade to dissapate the fumes. Better yet get a osha vapor approved respirator mask to protect your lungs. Rubber gloves are also advised when working with solvents.
The face may still have some color from the finish, but leave it alone and don't try to remove the stain or you could ruin the face.
These solvents are very quick to dry and if you use just a damp cloth the glue won't be affected. Plastic inlay may be softened by the lacquer thinner or MEK, so test it if there's inlay.

billkilpatrick
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-5-2004 at 11:23 PM
grovel grovel

i stand corrected...with a possibly damaged face and/or braces!
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-6-2004 at 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by billkilpatrick
i stand corrected...with a possibly damaged face and/or braces!

Bill Forza Italia is something different;)
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-7-2004 at 08:43 AM

Thanks a lot for your advice. I am going to give it a try. It's a beautiful old oud from the 1920s. The owner died without having played it much, and his son stored it away and waxed and cleaned it frequently. It looks like it was made yesterday. But, what he put on the soundboard is beyond me. I hope that taking off whatever is on there will help the sound a bit--the oud just sounds muffled.
billkilpatrick
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-7-2004 at 03:04 PM

if he put wax on the sound board all you need is a rough cloth and some alcohol - rub gently and it will eventually come off. i saw a photo of an ancient oud from north africa that was perserved in bee's wax and thought it might be an old method of improving the sound as well as acting as a seal. it might have made it waterproof, alright but it gave my oud all the acoustical qualities of an inner tube.

another thought... let your ears become accustomed to the sound before you start tinkering with it. it may be that you have an idea of what the instrument should sound like and it simply doesn't - and won't ever - sound like you expect it to.

can we see photos, please?

curious - bill
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-7-2004 at 08:42 PM

Actually wax is a sealing method used by some luthiers on lutes, of all things. I haven't found the exact formula, so I haven't tried it on ouds. A common sealing method is to use egg white. After the yolk is removed, whip the egg white to a froth, remove the froth and strain the remainder through a cheese cloth to remove any clots. Brush it on and wipe it dry. It will not harm the sound and does provide a bit of protection against moisture. Still, you should wear a long sleeved shirt or drape some cloth under your arm where it goes over the edge to avoid oiling the face. I saw a classic guitarist playing with the sleeve cut off a long sleeved t-shirt (it was too hot to wear the whole shirt, I guess). He was playing a 1840 Torres guitar worth maybe $50,000. ($ envy).

Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-7-2004 at 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Oud
A common sealing method is to use egg white.

A friend of my father used a mixture of egg whites and flour to temporarily plug a leaky engine block on his Rambler untill he was able to get it in the shop which was a week latter. He says it would have lasted even longer. No kidding :D

Regards,
Elie
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-8-2004 at 06:36 AM

I had a similar experience in Iran. We were car pooling to Persepolis when one of the old Paykan's (native Iranian car)over heated. We were near a spring, so the driver took off his socks, filled them with sand, soaked them in the cold spring water and packed them around the engine block to cool it down. It worked! By the time we got to Taks Jamshid (Jamshid's bed, the local name for the Persepolis Palace) his socks were dry, so he emptied the sand and we hiked around the grounds.
We ate the eggs for lunch.

billkilpatrick
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-8-2004 at 02:14 PM

dear doc -

thank you for the information - i've often wondered how egg white was applied. like this, i imagine it doesn't enter into the wood but sits on top and dries as a glazed covering.

add this to what we know about quills being used as plectrum and you can see how birds may take a jaundiced view of our favorite instrument.

on the bridge at westminster, across the thames near the houses of parliment, there's a sculptured pair of magnificent lions made from a particularly durable composite stone. i was told that the recipe for this composition was lost during the second world war but was thought to include egg white. the walls surrounding the tuscan town of lucca are also reputed to be constructed with added egg white.

ciao - bill
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-8-2004 at 04:48 PM

OK, this is my first attempt at posting a link to a picture, so I hope it works.
The oud is with family in another state right now, but I should have it in 2 or 3 weeks. Hopefully, by the picture, you will see what I am talking about.
It looks like at one time the risha guard (is there another name for this?) was moved, or replaced, but other than that, the oud is original.

http://varjouds.com/OUDPICTURES006.jpg
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-8-2004 at 07:38 PM
More about varnishes

Here are some interesting articles to add:
http://www.sempleguitars.com/articles/cgart07.htm
http://www.sempleguitars.com/articles/cgart08.htm
http://www.sempleguitars.com/articles/cgart09.htm

Elie

Go To Top