Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Aquila Nylgut Strings
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 8-26-2004 at 05:51 PM
Aquila Nylgut Strings

Hi guys,

I know it's been said by many often, but I have to say it too. The Aquila Nylgut oud strings are the best I've every used. I just put them on my new oud, and the sound is phenomenal. It really reminds me of the quality of tone that is associated with Sunbati.

I highly recommend these strings.

mav:applause:

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
david
Oud Junkie

Mood: Ouderific

[*] posted on 8-26-2004 at 06:18 PM

:wavey: Hey Mav, Well once you threw in Sunbati you got my attention. Did you use these on your Nahat oud? And where can we get these strings at?
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-26-2004 at 06:42 PM

Hi David,

Yes, I've just put them on my Nahat copy by Dimitris. I'm telling you, the resemblance is too much to Sunbati's oud. Next I'll put them on my Farouk Shehata and the Turkish style ones on my Najarian.

In my opinion, the two best ready made sets for ouds are first Aquila Nylgut, and second Pyramid. I don't like the others much at all. :D

Here is the link for the Aquilas:

Aquila Dealer

Here is the email contact for Pyramid in Germany (they'll be back from holiday in Sept.):

PYRAMID

I'm in love with the Aquilas, they are even better than the Pyramids, which are very good.

Take care,

mav

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
Jameel
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-26-2004 at 06:53 PM

Hey Mav,

I almost bought a set of these day before yesterday. I'm going to now definitely. So, how much can you say about them, let's hear 'em! :bounce:

mavrothis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-26-2004 at 07:01 PM

Hey Jameel,

As soon as they set in my friend, I'll post a clip, or maybe one on each of my 3 ouds. By the way, they wouldn't sound half as good if it wasn't for your amazing Tortis picks. I love them! I feel right now that I have the perfect balance of quality instruments, strings, and picks. :D

It's a great feeling. Now if I can only find a good live sound with no feedback...:airguitar:

:)

mav

--Edgard Varèse
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-26-2004 at 07:15 PM

waiting eagerly...............:D

Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-26-2004 at 08:15 PM

OK, I know I am getting off on a tangent, but do those tor-tis risha break? I ordered the rectangular Tor-tis material, but when I tried to make the risha, they kept breaking on me. Maybe I ordered the wrong thickness, or I got a bad batch, or I am cutting them wrong. I love tor-tis pics for my guitar, and I would really love to make a risha out of the material.
samzayed
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mashee el hal

[*] posted on 8-26-2004 at 08:37 PM

I know what you're saying! I've made a few, and 3 or 4 have broken. I think you shouldn't keep them exposed to air when not using them. Also, the more you straighten them with warm water, they seem to get more brittle and more likely to break. Any thoughts Jameel?

(I too aplogize for the tangent)
Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 8-26-2004 at 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan
OK, I know I am getting off on a tangent, but do those tor-tis risha break? I ordered the rectangular Tor-tis material, but when I tried to make the risha, they kept breaking on me. Maybe I ordered the wrong thickness, or I got a bad batch, or I am cutting them wrong. I love tor-tis pics for my guitar, and I would really love to make a risha out of the material.

You MUST soften the material in warm to hot water, before trying to cut. Once warmed, the material cuts easily with scissors. I have made several rishas without breaking any. I can't attest to the longevity of the material, as I haven't being using it for long. :airguitar:
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-26-2004 at 09:48 PM

Thanks a lot. I was hoping it was something basic like that.
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-27-2004 at 05:06 AM

I fill my kitchen sink with hot water and drop the sheet that I've already drawn accurate lines on, depending on the width of the pick I want, into it. It only takes a few seconds. I take it out and immediately cut it with some heavy duty scissors. I haven't broken one yet--making or using them. I don't really re-soak mine to reshape them. Most the time I just use then as-is, or when I'm surfing the web I'll lay one down on my desk and hold my left hand flat on it for a couple minutes which does a decent job. Sam--I havent done numerous re-soakings, so I havent experienced the brittleness, but I suppose you could be right. The material is basically epoxy (I've discovered recently-here) And although I doubt that the water degrades it, it is possible that it weakens under repeated straightening. When I had a lesson with Simon Shaheen, he chided me for storing my horn pick in the pegs of the oud, which gave it a permanent bend. He said the pick should be straight, he showed me his (real turtle shell) which was straight as an arrow. He keeps several in a littlle pocket-protector type envelope in his chest pocket. I don't know how he keeps them straight in his hand, mine always bend, but I've been trying ever since.

billkilpatrick
Oud Junkie

Mood: what?

[*] posted on 8-27-2004 at 05:42 AM

one of the things that came out of the attic when my mother-in-law died was a box of carved ivory "things" used in the game of majong. haven't a clue how but one piece makes a perfect risha; very stiff but ultra smooth. forbidden fruits indeed. anyone pen pals with a mahout?

i second your opinion of aquila strings. if there are composers amongst us, i think mimmo peruffo of aquila should have a piece dedicated to him - he deserves it.

ciao - bill
chuckerbutty
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 8-27-2004 at 05:54 AM

Wish he'd start selling them in Britain.
billkilpatrick
Oud Junkie

Mood: what?

[*] posted on 8-27-2004 at 06:22 AM

you poor man! - depraved by being deprived!!!

here is the address in italy: http://www.aquilacorde.com/home1.htm

write a letter to mimmo peruffo, asking for oud strings (turkish or arabic). he should be able to send you a set easily but he may already have a distributor in the uk (david van edwards, perhaps?)

despair not!

kind regards - bill
oudman

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 8-27-2004 at 10:56 AM
rishis

Hey guys
Jameel made me a couple of those rishis, i succeeded somehow or another to break each of them (i was storing them in between the pegs)...
Even so, im going to email Jameel for more, they are so comfortable and easy to play with.
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-27-2004 at 12:23 PM

Hi guys,

Here's a clip so you can get an idea of the great sound these Aquila Nylgut strings can produce on a great instrument. Feel free to compare this clip with the other one I posted before here: Newest Oud Thread

The mic and pick I used are the same as before, the original strings were D'addarios.

Also, I just changed the strings yesterday, so they are also setting in real fast. :)

Take care,

mav

--Edgard Varèse
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gebran Tueni Lives For Ever, 12-12-05.

[*] posted on 8-27-2004 at 07:44 PM

Hello Mav,

Aquila Nylguts are very much the best so far and they are probably the only set out there which truely for Arabic tuning. I have had them in my oud for about few month now. If you like them now, they will sound even better in a month or so, especialy the plain ones. Mimmo should be commended for making this superb set available and at a reasonable price.

I would like to share this little tip with the forum: It is a common practice to speed the settling-in process of a new string by stretching it with the finger after installing it in the oud, THIS IS NOT RECOMMENDED. It will make the string not have the same uniform thickness over the span of its length. It is best to let it stretch out on its own by retuning it over the period of few weeks.

Well, Mav my friend, I enjoyed your music and keep on ouding....

Elie
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-29-2004 at 01:12 PM

Very nice, Mav. I can hear the difference. Not as shrill as the Dadarrios. I have two sets on the way and look forward to trying them.

Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gebran Tueni Lives For Ever, 12-12-05.

[*] posted on 8-30-2004 at 05:26 PM

I better place an oredr for some before you folks buy them all out. Mine had a short life due to a fault in the nut. Not a deffect in the strings.

Go To Top