Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: detuning
mercm525i
Oud Junkie

Mood: mnee7

[*] posted on 8-26-2004 at 05:59 PM
detuning

hi everyone...i just got my aquila strings...and they detune after like 3 minutes...is that normal (possibly because they're gut string?) However, I did tie the strings at the bridge differently than before...instead of multiple twists i did only one (could that be the reason?)...like on this page...http://website.lineone.net/~david.parfitt/stringing.html
Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-26-2004 at 06:49 PM

Hi

Every new set of strings will detune at first..play with the lower pitch for while then correct the tune again. You might have to repeat this process few times. After the strings fully stretch it will stay in tune all the time.
mercm525i
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-26-2004 at 07:03 PM
thanks

ok cause ive been doing it every 5 minutes and each pair is detuning (at different rates) so i keep tuning the pair so they sound the same (unison). Thanks for the info.
samzayed
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mashee el hal

[*] posted on 8-26-2004 at 08:42 PM

In my experience, Aquila strings take a long time to break in, more than traditional strings. I once replaced my g' string with an Aquila one, and it took a week before it stayed in tune. Just be patient and hang in there . . .
mercm525i
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-27-2004 at 03:17 AM
stringing them

ok thanks for the advice. Which way did you guys tie your strings at the bridge, the twisting way (several loops) or the single loop? Because right now my lowest string (thick) can't bend that much for the single twist so the loop at the bridge is not that tight...is that ok (this won't effect its tuning correct?)
billkilpatrick
Oud Junkie

Mood: what?

[*] posted on 8-27-2004 at 05:28 AM

aquila strings do take longer to settle down but in my experience, they last longer and sound better that the others i used (la bella, d'addario and i forgot the the third...)

as for attaching strings to the tuning pegs, you would do well to follow the connecting sequence as advised by mavrothis (oud.cafe). it's a little awkward at first - so unlike a guitar - but once you get it, the strings don't interfer with each other - overlap one another quite so much - and maintain the tuning longer.

personallly, i thread the string through the hole and give the excess two or three twists before turning the peg so that the string winds away from the peg box wall, towards the center of the peg.

ciao - bill
mercm525i
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-27-2004 at 06:44 AM
tightness

Does the single loop have to be extremely tight at the bridge? I left it just a little loose and figured it would tighten when I turned the peg to tune the strings. Is this ok? (also, the part of the string that routes under the part of the string going it the bridge hole can be moved by hand a little, basically the part that makes a "v" or "u" shape under the string)
billkilpatrick
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-27-2004 at 08:42 AM

on the bridge, i thread the string through from the sound-hole side to the lower side and extend it to the bottom edge of the oud. this will give you enough excess string to secure it to the bridge. then i bring it back to the sound-hole side, over the bridge and thread the excess string under the sound producing part of the string and loop it three times round before pulling the excess string lightly to make it taught.

in addition to david parfitt's extremely helpful site, you might look up david van edwards site in the uk (wonderful lute maker). he has useful information concerning the various ways to attach strings. in fact, a lot of lute "lore" applies to the oud.

when all this is done, however...you're going to have to start playing.

then what are you going to do?

all the best - bill
mercm525i
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-27-2004 at 12:32 PM
pictures

here check this out...is this ok?
mercm525i
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-27-2004 at 12:33 PM
pic

one more
billkilpatrick
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-28-2004 at 12:52 AM

looks good to me - now go forth to dazzle all and sundry with your oud wizardry...

- bill

Go To Top