Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Proper cleaning
Oud987
Oud Maniac

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 8-28-2004 at 07:08 PM
Proper cleaning

What should I use, to clean my oud. As a exiprenced Guitarist, I only use cleaning solution designed for guitars. Is there such a thing for Ouds, or maybe the guitar spray will work on the Oud as well?
Josh
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 8-28-2004 at 08:59 PM

Hi,

You shouldn't spray anything on the oud, no chemicals or solutions. Just wipe it down with a clean, soft cloth after you play, especially in the areas your skin comes in contact with it.

I make sure I have long sleeves or a cover for my forearm whenever I'm playing.

Take care,

mav

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 8-29-2004 at 07:22 AM

Many ouds are not finished on the face. The bare face can be cleaned with a cloth dampened with alcohol, but take care not to rub, only wipe it lightly. Otherwise, it depends what finish is used on your oud. Most ouds are finished with shellac, either brushed on the cheap ones or French Polish on the good ones. Some makers and especially the factory made ouds sold on ebay are using lacquer finishes. Most guitars are finished with nitrocellulose lacquer, and the cleaners used for this finish can damage a shellac finish. Then there are modern catalitic finishes that are very resistant to any solvent. Here's a site explaining how to test your finish: Finish Test. If it turns out to be a shellac finish, you should use a lemon oil cleaner, but not any solvent including alcohol. Don't use any guitar polish on shellac as these contain some abraisives that can remove the finish. I also have a cut off from a long sleeve T-shirt I wear to protect the corner if I not wearing a long sleeve shirt .

revaldo29
Oud Junkie

Mood: inspired

[*] posted on 8-29-2004 at 03:48 PM

Wow! You truly are a Oud Doctor

Go To Top