Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Instruments by Yilmaz iPek
Monty88
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

exclamation.gif posted on 9-15-2004 at 01:07 AM
Instruments by Yilmaz iPek

Hi guys,
I'm going to Melbourne soon, and since there is a huge greek and turkish community there, i'm going to go check out some ouds in the more eastern music shops. The shop with the most turkish instruments sells ouds, sazes and cumbus (I bought mine from there). It's actually a continental food shop and the guy brings back a container of ouds and stuff when he comes back from turkey.

All the ouds and sazes are made by Yilmaz iPek in Izmir. Anyone know what these guys ouds are like? I own a student saz by them, and it's ok. I just want to know what people think of their ouds if they know. I'll attach a pic of a yilmaz ipek oud for you to see.

I'm selling my baglama while i'm over there in order to get a new one made by the same people. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Paddy
Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 9-15-2004 at 02:34 AM

Hi Paddy,

In March I spent a couple of days in Melbourne just looking for an oud.

I did the rounds of the Brunswick pawn shops and music stores in a few neighbouring suburbs and didn't find anything decent.

I think the food wholesaler you are referring to is BAS Trading. I went there a couple of times and came close to buying one of their Yilmaz iPek ouds, but in the end I decided against them. For the price they are okay. But, in my opinion, they are really just tourist ouds.

I will be in Melbourne again on the 20 October. I can check out their current crop of ouds if you like.

I take it from your "while i'm over there" statement that you are from WA??
Monty88
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-15-2004 at 03:05 PM

Hey Greg,

Yeah BAS foods is the shop. The guys don't know much about the instruments, but it's really the only option. And cheaper than Volaris Music ;)

There are a few people who order in instruments privately and sell them. Try out the Greek video shops like Bulut Video. The guy there has many wonderful instruments for sale.

So you think they are tourist quality? I kinda wanted one, but those words do'nt sound promising. I played one and it seemed pretty good, especially for the money. I can't quite afford one of Haluks ouds yet, but i'm saving!

Appreciate the feedback.

Regards,
Paddy
Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 9-15-2004 at 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Monty88
There are a few people who order in instruments privately and sell them. Try out the Greek video shops like Bulut Video. The guy there has many wonderful instruments for sale.

That shop has changed hands and the original owner has also changed his cell-phone number. I am no longer looking, having recently purchased overseas.

Don't be put off by my comments. As I said, for the price I think they are okay.

Go To Top