Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: I want to be new player
jfint
Oud Lover

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-20-2004 at 04:28 PM
I want to be new player

Hi all, I heard the Oud played at a belly-Dancing festival. I have been thinking about learning the drum played for that to accompany my fiance's dancing, but i like the Oud alot more because i already play guitar and i like stringed instruments. Anyhow, can anyone tell me the best place to look for inexpensive, lower quality but still very functional instruments in the US? I'm in California.
anyone know anything a bout this oud, or opinion on what kind of deal it might be?

http://www.yurdan.com/yrdn/gift_shop_product.asp?pf%5Fid=GMC%5FOU%5...

Also is there anyone here living in the south bay area that might be willing to give some quick lessons, particulary tuning, and basic scale?
Thanks
Josh
revaldo29
Oud Junkie

Mood: inspired

[*] posted on 9-20-2004 at 05:14 PM

Hey,

I'm glad to see that you are interested in learning. I am not sure of this but if you say you heard the ould played in a belly dancing festival, then odds are it is an arabic oud. I have two lower quality ouds. One is Syrian and the other is Turkish. I don't like the sounds of my Turkish oud and I think its because i'm using arabic tuning. It sounds very weak and barely resonates. On the other hand, I find it much easier to play than my Syrian oud although the syrian resonates much better. I really can't tell you which decision is the best because I just don't have that much experience but I hope I provided you with some insite. :airguitar:
jfint
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 9-20-2004 at 06:18 PM

Where did you aquire your Oud's I've just started looking of course, but any leads in this area would really hlep me out.

Thanks
Josh
revaldo29
Oud Junkie

Mood: inspired

[*] posted on 9-21-2004 at 07:10 AM

I bought my ouds from another country and brought them with me. I noticed the prices on the internet are very high. I bought my turkish oud, which is a beginner oud, for only 150 libyan dinars. Which comes out to about $100. I have seen the exact same oud online for 250 plus shipping. I think the best idea is to find someone in your area who might have an old beginner oud and get that.
jfint
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 9-24-2004 at 08:30 AM

OK, I got myself an Oud, an individual from this forum was kind enough to sell me one of his that he did not plan on using. So first step accomplished, now I am still looking for a teacher in the san francisco Bay Area, preferably south bay, but I am willing to travel. Thanks for all the advice, I'm sure i will have more silly questions to ask you all!

Incidentily, when i say teacher, I don't nescescarily mean someone who is a pro, ;if you can make some good sounds come out of your Oud, I would love ot spend some time with you. And I would pay you for your time of course.

Thanks again
Josh

Go To Top