Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Photographs of Onnik Karibyan
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-26-2004 at 06:39 AM
Photographs of Onnik Karibyan

I was wondering if anybody knows of where I can see any photographs of Karibyan himself. The only ones I have seen are on that John Vartan instructional video. A search of the web yielded nothing. I would really love to see a picture of his shop, and of the man himself.
Thanks
oudmaker
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-23-2004 at 04:55 AM
Onnik's picture

I do have a picture of him. I also met him in his workshop in 1958. Send me your address I will send you a copy.
Regards
Dincer

Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 12-23-2004 at 08:10 AM

Hello Mr. Dincer,

First of all, welcome to such an established and respected oudmaker. I have followed your advice and expertise on Kane's website and learned a lot from you about ouds. I also want to let you know that you have a great website. I really enjoyed the slideshow very much. If you don't mind, could you tell us more about your visit with Karibyan.

Take care,
Mike

Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-23-2004 at 10:54 AM

Thanks, Dincer, for your very generous offer. I have sent you a private U2U message with my name and address. I am very grateful. I had almost given up hope.
Do you, or anybody else, happen to know if there is any source of information on the Turkish oud makers of the 20th century? I would love to learn more about the various luthiers based in Turkey (and, particularly, Istanbul), but have not been able to find any real written source of info.
Thanks again
Jonathan Varjabedian
oudmaker
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-23-2004 at 05:03 PM

Hello Mike
I went to visit Onnik Usta to get some information about the rebab he made for my rebab teacher late Udi Cahit Gozkan Bey. I was trying to make a rebab. He was a little old man with a solemn face.
He had a little work shop in a building second or third floor. He was sitting on a very low wooden chair without any back rest. His work bench was a square shape almost like a coffee table no higher then two and half feet above the floor and had an oud on it which he was working on. I was a 22 years old college kid with lot of questions about violin and rebab making. By the way not too many people knows but I saw a violin made by him to an old jewish violinist in Istanbul ( dont remember the name) using birds eye maple. He was kind of irritated with my questions which probably were silly since I was new in the craft. My interest was mainly on rebab and tanbur. He did not offer me any coffee or tea which is a custom among the people at that time. I guess as I mentioned above that I was young and probably failed to show and give necessary respect to the guy who is one of the best in the craft. I did not take any pictures of him. The one I have is from Mr. Tanrikorur.

Regards
Dincer
oudmaker
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-23-2004 at 05:12 PM
Onnik Usta

Hello Jonathan
I did not get your address.
As far as other old school of oudmakers I intend to have a list of them on my web site in the future. Unfortunately most info available on web are in Turkish. This summer I will be at my summerplace in Turkey working on that project.
Regards
Dincer
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 12-23-2004 at 07:11 PM

Hello Mr. Dincer,

What a great story! Thanks for sharing it with us. I think if I was a young guy meeting a legend of the craft, I would have been wide eyed with lots of questions too!

Thanks again,
Mike

Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-23-2004 at 09:48 PM

Thanks, Dincer. I sent you an email with the address.
I do hope you go ahead and post something on those Turkish oud makers that have sinced passed on. It seems that, even on the web, and even including the stuff written in Turkish, there just is not much there. A real pity. Again, thank you very very much.
Jonathan Varjabedian
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-17-2005 at 07:37 AM

Thanks a lot, Dincer. I got the pic Saturday--I really appreciate it.

Go To Top