Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Bashir oud
samzayed
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mashee el hal

[*] posted on 10-15-2004 at 12:11 AM
Bashir oud

From what I know, on a Bashsir oud, the bridge is movable, even though the ideal string length is 57 cm. Would it be appropriate for Bashir oudists to change their string lengths if they wanted to experiment with different tunings? Or do they always set the length at 57 cm?

The reason I raise this questions is because I believe that Marcel Khalife is using a classical tuning (C F A D g c' ) on a Bashir oud. In this case, do you make sure the strings are appropriate tension, or do you extend the bridge?

I am very intrigued by the Bashir oud, any insight is much appreciated.
Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 10-15-2004 at 01:08 AM

Sam,

I believe you are correct that the ouds made for Bashir were 57 cm string length. But there are now so many makers making this style of oud that you could probably get one in any string length you wanted. My "Bashir" by Nazih Ghadban has a string length of 60 cm and it was designed to be tuned C F A D g c.

I guess the only problem moving the bridge would be that you may be moving it from the "sweet spot" designed by the maker.
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-15-2004 at 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by samzayed
From what I know, on a Bashsir oud, the bridge is movable, even though the ideal string length is 57 cm. Would it be appropriate for Bashir oudists to change their string lengths if they wanted to experiment with different tunings? Or do they always set the length at 57 cm?

Sam, if the oud is built for 57cm, then never move the bridge. Because the bridge is floating doesn't mean that one can move it around as one wish.
You can use any tuning, but then you need the correct gauges. Myself prefer Pyramid lute strings for my Fawzy oud that I tune to the Iraqi tuning c d g c f f.
The string are for 440, but I lower pitch about a semi tone and it works fine and very pleasent sound is produced.

]

Best wishes

Ronny
samzayed
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-15-2004 at 02:48 PM

Ronny, do you know what the ideal tension for each course on a Bashir oud is? You mentioned gauges. Those are important because the string pairs are closer together, and can't be too thick, right?

But isn't a higher tension also more ideal?? I think this the mystery I'm trying to figure out. Bascially, if I took a set of D'Addario slapped them on a Bashir, and tuned to a classical tuning (C F A d g c' ), would the strings sound too floppy due to the decreased string length??
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gebran Tueni Lives For Ever, 12-12-05.

[*] posted on 10-15-2004 at 05:22 PM

Sam,

What set # are you using and scale length and I can tell the tension for each string. My guess is if tension drops below 6.5 pounds will strt getting sloppy. I think a good range is 8 to 9 pounds maybe even 10.

Elie Riachi
samzayed
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-15-2004 at 07:38 PM

I currently don't have a Bashir. I am just so curious about them.
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-19-2004 at 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by samzayed
Ronny, do you know what the ideal tension for each course on a Bashir oud is? You mentioned gauges. Those are important because the string pairs are closer together, and can't be too thick, right?But isn't a higher tension also more ideal?? I think this the mystery I'm trying to figure out. Bascially, if I took a set of D'Addario slapped them on a Bashir, and tuned to a classical tuning (C F A d g c' ), would the strings sound too floppy due to the decreased string length??

Sam, I don't have the gauges nor the tension for the lute strings but I know Matthias Wagner provided me one time but I lost the inf. Anyway, you asked me about the D'Addario. If I (I rarely do) use D'Addario then I tune as this:

Note G_____0.56______5.31 bashir f
Note D _____0.71______4.85 : c
Note A _____0.64______8.30 : g
Note E______0.74______7.94 . d
Note B______0.84______6.67 : c
Note F#_____1.04______6.26 . f

Best wishes

Ronny

Go To Top