Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Yemeni style risha technique
walkad
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-24-2004 at 05:44 AM
Yemeni style risha technique

I saw Ahmed Mukhtars program at Al-Mustaqilla tv, "Oud Talk". Very intresting program for oud freaks (although I had higher expectations).

Anyway he mensioned something about the Yemeni style of playing. They have a very intresting risha technique and I wonder if you guys if any info, recordings or anything about this, then I would be very happy (I am sure that others would too) if you could post that..

Regards
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 10-24-2004 at 09:55 AM

Hi Walkad,

While I was in Egypt with Mike, one of the best moments was when Maurice Shehata took us for a visit with Ahmad Fathi. At his apartment he gave us a lesson basically, and I definitely noticed that he used a very different unique picking style. I don't know if it's Yemeni or just his own way of playing, but it really stood out.

I don't know how exactly to describe it, but his wrist just seemed very, very strong, in that very little movement was required to produce a huge sound, or to make very fast runs. More so than in others I've seen play. Also, he really had an amazing way of playing mostly with hammer-ons, or by just picking 2 or 3 times and using his left hand to make great runs on the neck. You can get a feel for his right hand technique from the video Mike took while we were there.

Again, I don't know if this is just his technique he came up with after all the years of work he's put into the instrument, or if it's from the Yemeni style. He really stressed listening to Sunbati for guidance, and didn't mention any other players really. I'd also love to hear any input that others have on the Yemeni playing tradition.

Take care,

mav

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
walkad
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-24-2004 at 10:30 AM

Mav, I think this is the technique Mukhtar was talking about. He said that they use hammers and terses in combination with tremolos.
An their tremolo looks like this, up and down strokes are made in a cirkular motion.
As you can see its very hard to discribe with words.
Is the video you spoke about available to download?

Regards
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-24-2004 at 11:54 AM

Very interesting, it was definitely something that stood out, and though I try to mimic it I don't think I've ever been successful.

Sorry, I assumed you knew about the video page. If you go to the Home Page of Mike's Ouds there is a link to many great videos that Mike has posted, and the Ahmad Fathi video is one of them. It was amazing to be sitting there and watching him play this, he is really something. Very nice man also, on top of his playing abilities and fame.

Take care,

mav

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
san3any
Oud Maniac

Mood: Prove that 0=1

[*] posted on 10-24-2004 at 12:29 PM
San3any

hi every,

Yes there is a risha technique on playing oud in Yemen. This style is obvious in the "Sana'any" songs, which are old songs from the city of Sana'a. they use alot of techniques, and i hope i am gonna attach some yemeni songs played with oud with various excellent oud players in YEMEN. Since i am from Yemen too, i will post some of my recordings, and i can describe the tichnique in details for any one who is intrested.
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-24-2004 at 01:28 PM

Hi,

Thanks, I'm looking forward to this. :)

mav

--Edgard Varèse
samzayed
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mashee el hal

[*] posted on 10-24-2004 at 02:02 PM

This is an interesting topic . . .

Walkad, you described this picking technique as a "circular motion" My teacher once showed me that the ideal picking stroke is as if you are stirring the risha across the strings (similar to what you described). It is a very short motion across across the strings, almost at an angle.

This is somewhat consistent with Simon Shaheen's recomendation on the the risha: his motion is short strokes, but more of a semi-circular. According to him, this produces the most brilliant tone

Go To Top