Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: face caving in
palestine48
Oud Junkie

Mood: Free Palestine

[*] posted on 11-8-2004 at 12:13 AM
face caving in

In the fair recent past I posted a topic about buzzing on the string. I seem to have figured out why. My face is caving in particularly under my floating bridge . Im assuming the tension of the 6th string tuned to C is the culprit since I have itstrung on one of the top pegs. I restrung my oud in accordance to Mavro's website. (Not blaming Mavro) . what can i do to remedy this problem and stabalize the face. I doubt id be willing to pay to get a new soundboard as it is a commercial oud . Just an idea to keep it stable as much as I can until i get my use out of it
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-8-2004 at 10:45 AM

I don't think it has anything to do with the tuning. The floating bridge seems to put a different stress on the soundboard and a poorly constructed Bashir collapses within short time.

Best wishes

Ronny
guitarplayer006
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 11-8-2004 at 03:06 PM

Hi
I'm new to the Oud but i think i might know why your strings are buzzing. I had the same problem with one of my wood guitars where the soundboard caved in and it caused the strings to be too close to the fretboard making it buzz. THis was due to the wood drying out and it caused the soundboard not to be flat anymore but to have it cave in like a bowl which made the bridge much lower than it should have been. a guitar humidifier will fix this problem, they are also very cheap. I don't know if this is the nature of your problem but this would be my guess to why your strings are buzzing.
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-8-2004 at 03:16 PM

Does anybody happen to know why some oud makers purposely made the face a bit concave? I know that Karibyans from the 1960s often have the face somewhat concave, and I have heard from several reliable people that this was done purposely by Karibyan. That is, it is not a matter of them becoming more concave as time goes on, but that this is how they left the shop. Does anybody know the reason for this?
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 11-8-2004 at 07:08 PM

The concave face was developed by Manol, (and possibly before), and adopted by some Arabic makers as well. It is achieved by trimming the top edge of the body down to drop the face in front of the bridge. It prevents the face from rotating around the center brace due to the torsion of the face glued bridge. Without this configuration, the face will raise up at the lower edge of the sound hole. Some Arabic ouds are built flat, but the faces are thicker to resist this condition. The thin faces of Turkish and some Arabic ous will distort under the string pressure causing the face to raise up and interfere with the strings, and sometimes causing rattles or buzzing.

Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-8-2004 at 07:15 PM

Thanks a lot. Some how I figured you would be the one to know. Is this still common practice?
palestine48
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-8-2004 at 08:32 PM

Thanks for the tip guys, I think guitar player might be on to something. I was speaking about it to my uncle today and he told me it is probably the weather causing it. I live in San Francisco and we have no humidity problems. That stayes constant year round but normally our weathe is the high 60's on average but winter is coming in and weve been feeling temperatures in the low 50's. I only have a gig bag so he recommended I store my oud in that whenever i dont use it or put a blanket over it to maintain a constant temperature as much as possible.

Do u guys know how i can use a humidifier without a hard case. My understanding is you just drop it in the hard case but I dont have one.

Thanks,
Rami
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 11-9-2004 at 01:55 PM

Hi Rami,

I'm really sorry to hear you are having this type of problem. I really doubt that the tuning you are using is the problem, this tuning is one of the most common. Probably if the face on your oud is caving in this dramatically, there is a defect in the construction. Usually any kind of extraordinary warping or bending isn't from dryness, but very high humidity.

Sorry again to hear you are having these problems, you should take your oud to a luthier/violin maker for an idea as to what is the problem if there is nobody near you with specific oud experience.

Take care,

mav

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
guitarplayer006
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 11-9-2004 at 04:59 PM

They make guitar humidifiers that go into the sound hole of the guitar and the device is held in place by the strings, this is how you could humidify it if does not have a hard case, however, most ouds i have seen have decorations over the sound hole so this would probably not work. also if the problem is due to high humidity simply place the humidifier when it is dry and it will soak up the humidity, usually a good humidity percent for wood is 40%-50%. Temperature changes can also affect wood in strange ways if its not constant. For my wood guitars they recomend around 70 degrees Farenheit.
hope you can fix your problem.
palestine48
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-10-2004 at 09:31 AM

No i dont think it was the tuning set up, so dont worry Mavro i had no intention of making you feel guilty. I was just including that so all possibilities of my predicament can be explored. There is a guy in the area who can fix ouds, i'll probably take it to him.

By the way any tips on how to get a good risha or make one? Im not happy with everything ive used so far
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 11-10-2004 at 11:29 AM

Hi,

I've been happy with the risha I've bought from Jameel and Elie Riachi from this forum. Also, there are several others who make good ones. Najarian and Kyvelos have good picks. You can find contacts for Naj and Kyv on my links page.

Good luck with the oud,

mav

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse

Go To Top