Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: What do I look for in buying an oud?
chrisyost
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-17-2004 at 11:01 PM
What do I look for in buying an oud?

Hey people, I'm really interested in getting a quality oud that will last me in the long-term but I dont know what specs to look for. Being a guitarist I realise the desired specs probably depend on personal preferences, but I was hoping someone might be able to give me a general idea of high quality oud specifications.

Also, I live in Australia and am finding it extremely difficult to find any oud dealers in the country. If anyone has any ideas about websites that sell quality ouds (particular Ghadban), I would really appreciate if you let me know.

Cheers,
Chris
Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 11-18-2004 at 03:30 AM

Hi Chris,

Let me be the first to welcome you to the forum.
I am also in Australia and I own an oud made by Nazih Ghadban. I will U2U you my email address. Please contact me by email if I can assist you in any way.

Regards,

Greg
palestine48
Oud Junkie

Mood: Free Palestine

[*] posted on 11-18-2004 at 09:49 AM

Greg, Id also love to hear about Ghadban oud. I beleive I have read some of your posts. If I am not mistaken, you have a floating bridge model with open sound holes. My U2U doesnt seem to work but I would love it if you emailed me at rkb_181@hotmail.com
spyros mesogeia
Oud Junkie

Mood: play my ouds

[*] posted on 11-19-2004 at 07:08 AM

Hello my friend,
here you can contact and see the work of many oudmakers,
I personally have and represent the work of a Greek oudmaker[luthier]
Best regards
Spyros Koliavasilis:wavey:

Faladel
Oud Junkie

Mood: ya salam

[*] posted on 11-19-2004 at 09:23 AM

Hi :
Nazih Ghadban is the best Luthier, is most Scientist and the one that applies the last advances with the best wood and sound, my OUD nÂȘ 1000 affirms what I say.
regards
:bowdown:

Oud Player
walkad
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-25-2004 at 12:44 PM

Well there are lots of really good oudmakers, depends on your preferences and how much you want to pay.
You can check http://www.iraqi-oud.com, maybe you find something that suites your pocket and your tase.

regards

Regards
/Walid
FredB
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 12-16-2004 at 04:33 PM

Oh come guys, be helpful here.

Let me rephrase the question. If you didn't know how to play an oud, how can one determine if at least the instrument was well built? I would like to know too because I suspect this is how I will end up purchasing one.

For example, if you bend the instrument and you see the neck separate slightly from the body then you know it's faulty. If you pluck the strings and they rub or buzz on the neck then you know...

From exhaustive reading on this forum I know that a heavily decorated oud is just for show and will not project sound properly. What else can you tell us? :rolleyes:

-Fred
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-16-2004 at 04:49 PM

I am no expert, so others can feel free to correct me.
But, most importantly, look at the face of the oud. The wood should be tight grained, as a rule. I know, there are some ouds with widely spaced grain that sound fine (I have one), but it is a good general rule. Obviously, there should be no major imperfections in the face wood. This is crucial.
If you can compare multiple ouds, as a general rule, avoid the ones that are very heavy. They may conceal sloppy workmanship, and somehow just never seem to sound all that great.
Look down the oud from the base of the bowl to the neck--check for warps. Make sure that there is not a great curvature to the neck.
Look at the workmanship. If it looks sloppy (glue where it shouldn't be, whatever), the oud will probably be second rate.
Don't rush in to buying one. There are a more things to look for, but there are a lot of people here that are a lot more qualified than I am to advise you.
Good luck!

Go To Top