Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Taking strings out of tension between plays
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-22-2004 at 08:26 AM
Taking strings out of tension between plays

How important is it to take the strings out of tension between plays? If there is an oud that I pick up only once a week or so and play for an hour or two, is it necessary to take the strings out of tensions when it is not being played? I know that the safest answer is probably to take them out of tensions, but is this really necessary? I have been playing/practicing oud for an hour or two every day, but I have a few ouds, and don't play each one every day. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. If it matters, they are Turkish ouds, with standard Turkish tuning.
Thanks
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 11-22-2004 at 08:42 AM

Hi,

I think if you are storing the oud for months/years, then you should worry about that. Otherwise, don't worry too much, b/c if you are playing oud, it needs to be practical for you to play when you have time, and not kill all your time tuning it up. Another thing to do like a compromise is to tune your oud down a whole step or something, limiting the tension but allowing you to pick it up and play right away.

;)

Take care,

mav

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-22-2004 at 06:51 PM

Thanks, mav. That sounds like a great idea--just tuning the less frequently used ouds down one step.

Go To Top