Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Oud shops in Cairo
minadimyan
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-14-2004 at 10:36 AM
Oud shops in Cairo

Hey guys,

I'm going to Egypt during the Christmas period and am thinking of buying an "introductory" oud. Unfortunately, my former teacher here in England has been most uncooperative in where to go or who to speak to in order to buy one from Egypt. Also, I am a bit wary as it's dead easy to be swindled in Egypt in anything.

I'm wondering if anyone could provide me with the following:

1) where to go
2) things to look out for
3) how to read a fake

Thanks a lot guys,

Mina.
spyrosc
Oud Junkie

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 12-14-2004 at 07:44 PM
Cairo

Dear Mina,

Do a search on this site for "Shehata" or "Shahata". You will find what you are looking for.

Good luck
Spyros C.
sydney
Oud Junkie

Mood: Bastanikar

[*] posted on 12-14-2004 at 07:56 PM
Execuse me !!!

Quote:
Originally posted by minadimyan
Also, I am a bit wary as it's dead easy to be swindled in Egypt in anything.

Mina.

Mr. Mina,

You seem to be an Egyptian by the sound of your name. That wasn't a nice thing to say mate.

However, you can visit Al Aseel Shop
80 Misr & Sudan Street, Cairo
Mourice Farouk Shehata.

I am sure you will not get "swindled " there.

Regards,

Emad
minadimyan
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 12-14-2004 at 11:55 PM

Thanks for those who have replied.

Emad, aywa ya me3allemi, ana masree. From your profile, it sounds like you live in Oz. And if you really wanna convince me that you can't be swindled in Egypt.. when was the last time you were there? I truly love my country, 7elwaha we morraha, but real love sees the fault of the loved and deals with it.

How much did you guys spend on your first 3ood (US dollars)? I just want to know what I should be realistically expecting to spending?

Thanks,

Mina.
sydney
Oud Junkie

Mood: Bastanikar

[*] posted on 12-15-2004 at 04:58 AM
Dear Mina

I have always thought that good and bad are everywhere not only in Egypt.

You seem to be much smarter, wiser and have more experience then me.

It is well known that only fools get swindled. so you will be right.

My first oud was roughly15 years ago I do not think the price I paied back then will help you.

Talk to the people at the Al Aseel oud shop about how much you would like to spend and they will look after you. It will help if you mention to them how you got their address. ;)

Travel safely
Good luck.

Emad
minadimyan
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 12-15-2004 at 05:01 AM

Hmm.. dunno if it was sarcasm, innocence, or sincerity in your last post. For the sake of peace, I'll assume the best.

OK, I'll go there and see how it goes. If anyone else can chime in with a price range, it would be helpful.

Mina.
walkad
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-15-2004 at 06:45 AM

Generally in middle east, shop owners will swindle you when they see a chance.
If you are a beginner and dont know how to evaluate an oud, you can count on bein overcharged, specially if they sense that you are from abroad.

Two years ago when I was in Aswan, a shop owner asked 1000 pounds (egyptian), I left the shop without arguing, the second day a passed the shop and he grabbed me willing to sell the statue for 500, and the therd he sold it to me for 115, and I am still sure that he overpriced me, but I liked the statue very much I had to buy it:)

I think the same about ouds, I saw crap ouds for 200$.
I would stick to shehata or Fathi Amin, you can do a comparision on what those ouds cost at the nileshop, that might help.
But the safest way is to buy an iraqi oud from me;)

Regards
/Walid
minadimyan
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 12-15-2004 at 06:54 AM

Tjena Walid? Hur ar det med dig? (I still remember my Swedish. :))

Thanks for showing our dear mate from Oz that I wasn't just being judgmental.

I'm thinking of walking in with a suit and a mobile phone, swearing in Egyptian Arabic talking about my next concert in London so they'll think I'm a big virtuoso person. What do you guys think? :D

Lol how much are your Iraqi 3oods? Now, you have to give me a good price since I'm a fellow Swede! ;)

mina.
walkad
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-15-2004 at 07:04 AM

Svenskar får alltid bra pris hos mig:)

mejla mig på w_kad@yahoo.com

Regards
/Walid
minadimyan
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 12-15-2004 at 07:08 AM

Du har e-post!
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gebran Tueni Lives For Ever, 12-12-05.

[*] posted on 12-15-2004 at 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by minadimyan
....I'm thinking of walking in with a suit and a mobile phone, swearing in Egyptian Arabic talking about my next concert in London so they'll think I'm a big virtuoso person. What do you guys think? :D

I think you better be ready to perform and impress them, because they may offer you the oud for free if they liked your playing. :)

Best wishes,
Elie
Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-16-2004 at 12:13 AM

I have to agree with you there elie:D
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 12-16-2004 at 02:42 PM

Actually Mina you will be intimidated to act that way when you walk into most shops in Cairo. For some reason, all the merchants look angry at the world. But once you break the ice a little bit with a friendly comment or a nice compliment, then they're serving you tea and cookies, and asking you to spend the day with them.

Good luck,
Mike

palestine48
Oud Junkie

Mood: Free Palestine

[*] posted on 12-16-2004 at 08:46 PM

Hey guys, We must remember that many people in the middle east are poor, especially in Egypt and we all know desperate times lead to desperate measures. Its not that they are swindlers but if you were in their situation I think you would do it too. Also bargaining is a culture that dates thousands of years old and its expected to see items over priced in order for the seller to have leverage in terms of acheiving his desire negotiated price with the seller.

I remember my first time in cairo, a year and a half ago. My family told me to be careful. While I was there, I was so cautious, that my non arab friends assumed I was criticizing the people for their nature, but in reality I was offended with the social and political system that forces them to live life in this manner when they naturally deserve a comfortable life, whatever that definition may be.

Upon coming back to America I felt fortunate for the opportunity and life that I have, although I love the middle east and feel home sick even though I was raised in America.

Well my moral of the story is, dont view them as swindlers, they are just trying to live a decent life. Pay the price that you think is fair and pay what u think it is worth and what you can manage. If u walk around looking for the best price you will get tired and crazy, because everyone claims you can get it for cheaper. look at oppurtunity cost as well, the less time you walk around for deals, the more time you have to enjoy your trip.
minadimyan
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 12-16-2004 at 11:08 PM

you have a point there bro.. didn't see it like that. thanks for the headsup. will keep all y'all advice in mind. :)
palestine48
Oud Junkie

Mood: Free Palestine

[*] posted on 12-16-2004 at 11:46 PM

P.S. Excuse my grammer, I was typing in a hurry
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 12-17-2004 at 06:57 AM

Hey Palestine48,

Well said my friend. I agree with everything you wrote. I don't think Mina meant "swindling" in a bad way at all, and I took no offense to it whatsoever. The bottom line is that negotiating is the norm in Egypt. I actually like the process...to me it is kinda fun. But like I said, once the deal is done, the "seller" transforms into somebody you might have known for twenty years.

Take care,
Mike

Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gebran Tueni Lives For Ever, 12-12-05.

[*] posted on 12-17-2004 at 08:53 AM

Swindeling or a "Free market"

Back in my freshman years in college at the US (no, dinosaurs where long gone by then), I took an Economics class and I got downgarded by the professor when I wrote that markets in the Middle-East are examples of a "Free Market" since there is no price fixing. That illustrated to me the gaps in the prffessor's knowledge when it came to something not covered in the text or outside of HER "comfartable idealistic" zone of academics and social norms. Of course a proffessor isn't expected to know everything, but one should have aquired the reasoning skills to help them understand unfamiliar territory.

Another thing like, Palestine said, time is money, although if you enjoy shopping for ouds then it is time well spent.

Unfortunately, some so called "Middle-Eastern culture experts", I've been told by an American friend, tell Westerners that they need to be vocally agressive and loud in the Middle-East to get their way. I think that this would be a recipe for disaster and for widening the divide and boosting the stereotypes. Contrary to what some outsiders might believe, the Middle-East is not a barberic society and history is rich of examples even pre-dating all the major surviving religions of the world.

The trouble that the Middle-East has is that they have never gotten over effects of being conquired (not that they have been left alone for long) and have never been given the chance to rediscover themselves as a society independent of religion in politics and as a free and open society.

Regards,
Elie

Go To Top