Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Oud Tuning trouble
OudZim1
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-14-2004 at 02:31 PM
Oud Tuning trouble

Hello, I'm a beginner oud player and just received my first oud. However, I am having an extremely difficult time tuning it. Many of the pegs will not even budge! I received a new oud of this model, it should show up on this page, if not it is attached:

http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/viewimage.x/00000000/tjebay/OUDR.jp...

I am wondering if anyone has seen this model and knows if it is a student model, or close to a toy. Apparently those who sell it claim the retail price is worth $500. My main problem is that many of the tuning pegs will not even move, especially the peg for the thickest string, which is protruding through the other side. Is this a common problem with ouds out of the box? Also, with the tuning C f a d g c, that is from low to high, correct? It seems when I tune the "D" strings they are too loose. Are the strings supposed to be fairly thin and somewhat loose when tuned? Please someone help me. Thank you
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gebran Tueni Lives For Ever, 12-12-05.

[*] posted on 12-14-2004 at 03:21 PM

Try backing out the pegs to loosen them and turn them. Then push them in if they start slipping.

As for the tension in the strings it may be that:
- They are tuned an octave lower and need to tuned an octave higher.

- The strings are low tension strings (not even the approperiate set).. Are they by any chance the 3 pyramids brand? If so, I recommend replacing them with a set of Aquila Nylgut if you prefer higher tension.

Regards,
Elie
spyrosc
Oud Junkie

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 12-14-2004 at 07:41 PM
New Oud

Dear friend,

The oud in the picture is made in Pakistan, by an unknown maker. So it's neither an Arabic or Turkish-made oud, but it tends more towards the Arabic design. If I'm not mistaken, the rosette designs are cut into the face directly, there is no round sound holes on the face with glued rosettes. Am I right ? If any part of the rosette breaks it's hard to replace.

In my opinion they are not worth $ 500, although you do get a hard case with them normally. I know some people who had similar trouble with them.

There are many threads in this forum about sticking pegs. Please do a search on "pegs" and you will find some solutions to your problem.

Good luck
Spyros C.
LeeVaris
Oud Junkie

Mood: oud lover

[*] posted on 12-14-2004 at 11:23 PM
Bad Oud

Sorry friend,

I'm familiar with this oud - this is a very badly made knock-off made in Pakistan. The pegs are little toothpicks compared to ones on real ouds. I think the peg box is made of plywood and the walls are quite thin. If I were you I'd get rid of it right away. Also the dimensions of this oud are way off - the body is too big and deep which makes it very hard to hold. You'll be much happier with an oud from the Nile shop on ebay than this thing. Depending on how much you actually spent it may be worth it to keep the hard case and just hang it on the wall (the back is not bad looking) BUT definately get yourself a real instrument!:(

regards,

Lee Varis
varis@varis.com , www.varis.com
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gebran Tueni Lives For Ever, 12-12-05.

[*] posted on 12-15-2004 at 12:36 PM

Man what a rip off. I have seen these ouds around at different vendor sites and always wondered. Didn't know that about these ouds, but the carved out rose kind of made the authenticity questionable. Plywood peg box! I wonder if the back isn't made out of veneered plywood and the soundboard also. I agree with Lee's advice. Compared to this oud, the ouds at the Nile shop are kings and at probably half the price of this oud. I wonder if you can return the oud to the vendor?

Good luck,
Elie

Go To Top