Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Jawharat Salmeen Ouds
Is7aq
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 8-27-2014 at 07:44 PM
Jawharat Salmeen Ouds

Hey all, has anyone here ever played a Salmeen oud? How does their tone compare to other well-known makes, such as Ibrahim Sukar, Nazih Ghadban, etc? Does anything distinguish the Salmeen as "khaleeji"/Gulf other than where they are from (Kuwait)?

I refer to Sukar and Ghadban for comparison since they seem to be ends of the cost spectrum of quality ouds--Sukar relatively lower, and Ghadban more costly. Feel free to use other examples for comparison, please!
Mehran
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-27-2014 at 09:35 PM

I had a salmeen oud. Mine wasnt anything special at all but the best I could find at the time (2004). It decent enough to get an idea of what the oud was about, its build quality and finishing was satisfactory, but most importantly its sound and response was poor. Cheaper ouds should (in theory) still play and sound well. Definitely not up there with the other well known makers.

Although i've played other salmeen ouds which were nicer, if it was me id try something from other makers. .g. Ibrahim Sukkar, Hussain Sabsaby.
Is7aq
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 8-28-2014 at 06:55 PM
Ouds Comparable to Ibrahim Sukar

Thank you; very interesting. I had assumed Salmeen was of uniform high quality from seeing Mohammad Abdu, Abadi alJohar, and Abdarrab Idrees playing them.

I've heard (and played) an Ibrahim Sukar and loved it. I hadn't heard of Hussein Sabsaby yet (he's also Syrian, I notice). Are there other ouds comparable to these two luthiers'? Is there something particular about Syrian ouds in terms of tone, compared to Egyptian and Khaleeji ouds?

Go To Top