Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Fathi Amin Oud Rehab
Feldt
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 9-15-2014 at 04:32 AM
Fathi Amin Oud Rehab

I have a Fathi Amin oud that i had commissioned him to make for me, sometime back in 2008 or so..

Back, fret board and peg box (amongst other smaller details) is all ebony. Not sure the about the soundboard? floating bridge, Iranian oval holes, Arabic body style etc.

It has traveled the world with me and is showing the results..Not to mention that due to the hardness of the wood it has suffered several cracks all over. few of the back seams cracked open some years back and in an attempt to stop it, but with no real time to fix it, i gorilla glued them.. At one point even the pegbox actually fell completely off, that i had repaired by a local luthier.

so here i am with time an interest to actually fix it, and also would love to give the whole thing a once over, rehab and maybe a new finish on the back and face.

I would appreciate any and all advice on the subject as this is my first time attemptting any such repair... I am a skilled carpenter so i have a basic understanding of what im undertaking. Mainly looking for advice on adhesives, and finishes that would best keep the Fathi Tone alive in my wooden girlfriend..

Thanks in advance! -Feldt

[file]32542[/file]

Feldt
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 9-21-2014 at 07:52 AM

Here's a few more pics. I filled as many of the cracks with titebond and removed the excess. I then sanded the area(back or bowl) until the excess dried glue was gone. I also took the strings and pegs out. Cleaned the "fret board" (lack of a better term). At this point I've sanded the entire thing (except the fret board) starting with 60 and ending on 320 grit. Possible this is a French Polish? Seems like it's still got a lot of the luster it originally had.

The sound board especially I want to tone down. I really love the naked wood look . Is that ok with any wood or only certain ones? Right now it's been sanded lightly to get the gruff off of it.

Any recommendations on resealing it? French Polish, run of the mill poly?

What about the cracks in the back bowl? Should I be concerned?

Feldt
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 9-21-2014 at 07:59 AM

I seem to be having trouble getting my pics uploaded :(
Feldt
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 5-23-2015 at 12:43 PM

Its been real talking to myself about this oud rehab, i really appreciate all the feedback.. I did get it to a point i was happy with it but never did re-coat it with french polish or stain or the like.. either way, below is a flickr link for the album that has some pics of the process..

https://www.flickr.com/gp/130476054@N06/963N5R

Still open to any ideas or input you may have about it!

:wavey:

Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 5-24-2015 at 07:53 AM

The next time you "restore" an oud DO NOT SAND THE FINISH OFF! Sanding removes some wood along with the finish (the finish is absorbed into the wood somewhat), and eventually you'll wear it down to nothing, I've seen this happen. Finish can be removed with solvents: Shellac (French Polish)- use denatured alcohol, Varnish- use mineral spirits/paint thinner or mild stripper. Polyeuathane finish can only be removed with paint stripper.

Go To Top